Can't Breathe Without You

Have we met before?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hello readers, thank you again to those who read/commented last chapter. It means a lot to me to still have readers for this fic in particular as it was my very first fic on the site. And, it had been such a long time since I wrote fanfics before I posted. I appreciate you all so much ^^, and yeah we’re here at chapter 10. That’s huge for me and I hope this will be an enjoyable chapter as well.


 

While Seulgi dreams she gets flashes of white, pristine hospital ward walls. Hyoyeon-unnie is also there and is arguing back and forth with a taller, brunette in a white lab coat as well. When the second woman comes into view Seulgi recognizes her as Dr. Choi Sooyoung, one of the other doctors but she hasn’t spent much time with her. They look so serious as they argue with one another.

 

“She’s not ready Soo.” Hyoyeon speaks in her dream. “You know as well as I do that she’s not ready. If we wake her now, it could upset the process.”

 

“I know Hyo.” Sooyoung sighs. “Believe me, I know. But, what else will we do. Sica wants for this to be complete sooner rather than later.”

 

“We wait. There is no way we should wake her now.”

 

Her dream shifts then to a burning car. The feeling of being suffocated in smoke and flames washing over her in waves. She can’t breathe and she is surely going to die here. Everything burns as her body is on literal fire along with the car that is quickly engulfed in orange flames.

 

“I’m dying. I must be dying.”


 

Seulgi awakes suddenly with a startled jolt. Her heart is hammering away in her chest and she still feels as if she can’t breathe. That had to be her most vivid dream of her car “accident”. She normally doesn’t dream so vividly about it. The monolid woman takes a few deep breathes to calm herself. She looks over to see Joohyun, clinging tightly to her arm. Oh, that’s right she came home with Joohyun yesterday. It wasn’t a dream and it really did happen. Looking back it wasn’t the smartest decision, only what actual choice did she have. She felt terrible to leave when the raven was so very upset. And now, she feels guilty for being here when she shouldn’t be. Every second she spends with Joohyun like this only makes her that much more of a target.

 

Also, what does it really mean to be here in this house. A house she has no memories of living in. Seulgi feels as if she is a stranger laying in bed with this woman, who clearly loves her.  She might never remember her or their life together, and that makes her feel terrible. Right now though it is important she gets out of here. It would be better if she had her bag with her. There were a lot of neat little gadgets in there, only she’s on her own. If she was really, truly such a fine agent then she should be able to improvise. Seulgi slowly tries to get free of the raven’s hold. It’s difficult at first, but she slips a pillow in place of her.

 

Then hurries out of the bed. Clothes? Where are her freaking clothes? Or, any clothes really since she has stuff here. She notices them neatly folded on a nearby dresser. Joohyun must have done so since she sure as hell doesn’t remember doing it. She dresses quickly, folding the pajamas up and putting them on the dresser instead. She just needs to go as soon as possible. But first, she needs her phone which is downstairs. Only she sees the gorgeous, shorter woman turn slightly in her sleep. The way the sunlight creeping in through the blinds hits her at all the correct angles. She is truly a work of art and Seulgi can understand why it is that she has drawn her so much. There are drawings and sketches of Joohyun in her apartment back in headquarters.

 

“I’m sorry Joohyun.” She whispers softly, she has to go. It feels wrong leaving her in this manner. But, she does have to get going. She heads down the stairs, fast but quietly like she has been trained to do. Her phone has loads of messages and calls. The monolid woman finds a spot in the living room to talk, briefly though.

 

“Jichu, Bi?” She starts off.

 

“Unnie!! Oh, are you okay unnie? We’ve been really worried about you?” Jisoo tells her first.

 

“Unnie, what’s going on?” Eunbi asks.

 

“I’m fine guys. I didn’t mean to worry you in anyway. I need to get out of here, hopefully before Joohyun wakes up.”

 

“We’ll come to meet you.”

 

“No.” Seulgi whispers. “It’s way too risky for you to do that, plus she saw you yesterday Jisoo. I’m going to walk for awhile once I go,  then I’ll text you guys to meet me. I really need to get going though, something tells me that she is a really light sleeper.”

 

“Unnie, I’ll come to get you. She hasn’t seen me yet.” Eunbi mentions. “I won’t park in front the house. All you need to do is get out and I’ll be parked nearby, problem solved.”

 

“Yeah, I guess… listen I’ll call or text you guys again when I can.”

 

“Be careful okay unnie. We don’t know when or if another hit will come and you don’t have any weapons on you.” Jisoo tells her.

 

“Gee, I wonder why I don’t?” Since, the purple-haired girl had so conveniently took her bag from her.

 

Eunbi and Jisoo chuckle. “Is that sarcasm Agent Kang?”

 

“That’s Agent Kang-unnie to you both. I need to go okay.” She ends the call fast. There has to be some sort of back door, or even a window she can jump out of really quickly. Only she hears footsteps coming down the stairs quickly but softly.

 

“.” Seulgi mutters and dives behind the couch.

 

“Honey….” Joohyun calls out for her. Her tone already sounds worried, and automatically Seulgi feels guilty.

 

“Seulgi-yah, you’re here right? Baby?” She sounds upset now on top of the worry in her voice. Seulgi peers from around the couch to see Joohyun heading into the kitchen. She crawls around from the couch and hurries for the stairs. Again as quietly as she can. She barely makes it halfway when Joohyun calls out.

 

“There you are.” The shorter woman breathes out in relief. “Where did you go?”

 

“I was looking for my phone. I’m sorry to have worried you.”

 

“It’s okay.” Joohyun nods. “Are you hungry? I’ll make those pancakes I told you about. It’s been so long since I could make them for you, and they’re your favorite.”

 

“Um, sure Joohyun.”

 

It startles the raven naturally to hear Seulgi call her by her name. Because it’s the first time that Seulgi has called her Joohyun without the Mrs. Kang part first. Maybe, soon Seulgi can call her Hyunnie again. She hopes so.

 

“What’s wrong?” The blonde wonders since Joohyun is really just staring at her.

 

“Nothing, you called me Joohyun without saying Mrs. Kang first.”

 

“Oh. Yeah, I’m trying to get used to calling you Joohyun. It still feels weird oh, I’m sorry.” She runs her fingers through her blonde locks in such a familiar way that Joohyun can’t help but smile. Seulgi is definitely still in there somewhere, she just needs help remembering. And the raven knows she can get through to her if she has the time to do so.

 

“I know it’s weird for you. It’s probably strange for you being home too right?”

 

“Yes. I don’t know if I actually belong here.”

 

“You do, you belong here with me Seulgi. I’ll show you that you do, for now sit at the table okay. I really want to make you breakfast.”

 

Seulgi does sit down but texts her friends that she’ll be delayed for a bit longer.


 

Meanwhile, the forensic team back at headquarters get back to Jessica fast. It’s probably faster than what she would have expected. But, Jessica is a woman who likes results, and especially helpful results. Unfortunately this is not one of those times.

 

“Park Choa?” Jessica reads the woman’s name. “What did you find out about her otherwise? Anything useful?”

 

“Nothing boss. There is not a single trace of a clue, everything’s been wiped clean. Even the smaller weapons she had concealed on her, no prints or anything. There is no clue either to who she works for. We can send this over to the Private Investigative Division so they can find out more on her, run her name through the systems?”

 

Jessica is frustrated as this is another useless dead end. She doesn’t like useless dead ends, might as well get rid of the body.

 

“Fine, send word to the head of the division so they can look into it. And get rid of her. She’s of no use to us any longer, and I don’t particularly enjoy the smell of decomposing bodies, do you?”

 

“No ma’am. I’ll get rid of her.”

 

The brunette heads back up to her office, but not to work at this moment. Connected to her very spacious office is her own equally spacious apartment. The entire top floor belongs to her essentially, and there is her own access to the rooftop by staircase. She sits on her bed and looks over to her nightstand where there is a photo of Tiffany. Her wife is smiling her signature eye smile and that’s how Jessica chooses to remember her. This way and not the way she was discovered dead. The director traces her outline in the photo with soft fingertips.

 

“Fany, I am never okay as long as we’re not together. Nothing is right without you. And I need you all the time, if I’m not working myself so hard to not think. I’m thinking of you so much that I can’t breathe, and it still hurts so badly that you’re not with me. I love you.” She whispers, as if somehow Tiffany can hear her.

 

“Sica!” She hears Hyoyeon just outside in her office calling her. Jessica puts the photo down and goes to see what is happening.

 

“Hyo, what’s wrong?”
 

The blonde doctor is looking worried though, like something is for sure happening.

 

“It’s about the info that Jisoo and Bi retrieved last night. Soo’s been looking into it further, you know since it’s her family. There’s something in there you should see. Soo, had to run it by the tech team but I think it’s open now.”

 

“Okay, then go get Soo and Tae as well. Bring them here now.”

 

It takes no time really for Sooyoung and Taeyeon to arrive. The tea on her desk is barely finished brewing when they enter.

 

“Sica, hey. So I’ve been looking at the info. It even has files dating back to when Siwon was in charge.”

 

“Who’s running things now Soo?” Taeyeon wonders, as she hasn’t really been keeping up with the Choi organization.

 

“Minho, his kid brother. Only I honestly think he’s really just a figurehead. Someone else older, smarter probably gives official orders. There was a file labeled strangely and it stuck out to me.”

 

Sooyoung pulls up the file on a tablet that is labeled 3277BMG/JJ9!0. It does look odd and Jessica wants to know what’s hiding behind such a file.

 

“Well, what is in it?” The boss asks with tea in her hand.

 

“The file was heavily encrypted. I had to have several senior officers in our tech department to look at this, but they cracked it and have a look.”

 

What Jessica sees is a bunch of photos of Seulgi, specifically while she was undercover in different jobs and various aliases.

 

“What the hell?” Taeyeon whispers from over Jessica’s shoulder first. Hyoyeon and Sooyoung too are looking at what they are seeing. It must be 100’s possibly more photos of Seulgi entering and leaving buildings, banks, dressed in work clothes or other clothes that signaled her job for that moment.

 

“Why does Choi Enterprises have so many photos of Seulgi?” Hyoyeon wonders aloud.

 

“I...I don’t know.” Sooyoung looks surprised. “Sica, you know if I knew anything about this. I would have brought it to you personally.”

 

Jessica nods. She doesn’t believe Sooyoung had anything to do with this. Only there are other photos, much more disturbing images. She drops the tablet right away.

 

“Sica, what’s….” Only Taeyeon sees photos of Tiffany. There are several of what looks like her abduction. Disturbing images of her being taken, handcuffed, bruised and held in some dark, small room.

 

“Sica?” Her friends whisper, now worried about what this has to be doing to their friend.

 

“Well. If we needed any more proof that this is an enemy of mine then here it goes. Soo, speak to tech again and see if they can find the original source of these images.”

 

“Sica?” Hyoyeon begins. “Are you going to be okay?”

 

“I’m fine. All of you please leave me now.”

 

They know that tone and she is most certainly not fine. They really don’t want to leave her alone. But she has that expression that says to definitely leave now and don’t ask anymore questions.

 

“What kind of ed up person has images like that?” Taeyeon asks Sooyoung and Hyoyeon when they exit the office.

 

“I don’t know. But we have to find them, clearly there is some enemy of Sica’s coming after people she loves.” Sooyoung says.

 

“Yeah, Fany first and now Seulgi.”



 

The smell of chocolate and banana is absolutely delicious. Seulgi still has her phone in her hand texting under the table. She sees no actual way out  right this moment. Joohyun is intent on making sure that she stays here. Eunbi and Jisoo are suggesting things. Things she isn’t really comfortable with but she also knows she can do to a person. Such as putting Joohyun into an effective sleeper hold, hitting certain pulse points that won’t cause her pain but will knock her out. And other diversion tactics she’s been trained to do in the event she doesn’t have weapons. They are if nothing trained very well in all ways. The sleeping serum would be best in this case, only she doesn’t have her tools. More than that she really doesn’t want to hurt this woman.

 

Soon enough there are a stack of pancakes in front of her. They smell even better close up.

 

“Seul, please eat breakfast okay. You need to eat, you ate so little last night at dinner.”

 

Seulgi can’t deny that it smells really good. Only she isn’t very hungry, and certainly not hungry to eat this entire huge stack of pancakes. She turns to look at the raven.

 

“Can, I please have some tea?”

 

“Tea?” Joohyun nods. “Of course, but you need to eat.”

 

Seulgi takes a few bites and stops. They do taste just as good as they look, but she doesn’t want anymore. When Joohyun returns with the tea and sees how she ate so little. She is more than just concerned.

 

“Baby, what’s wrong? Why don’t you eat more?”

 

“I’m not hungry. I’m sorry.”

 

That’s when Joohyun simply sits and feeds her a few more bites. She will try to feed her the entire plate, even if it takes a while.

 

“Seul, can we talk some more? Can I ask why you insisted you were Moon Mina? Is that who you were led to believe you were?”

 

“Yes.” Seulgi lies right away. As she can’t tell Joohyun the entire truth of it. She’s in way too much potential danger.

 

“When I first woke up I didn’t know who I was for some time. The name Moon Mina felt familiar to me. And I was living with the name until I remembered my real name.”

 

The raven nods. “When I found you by the bridge that day. Did you know you were my Seulgi then?”

 

“I knew that I was Kang Seulgi, only at the time I really didn’t know who you or the other women were. I only figured it out that you were my wife, after you told me and then I saw your ring and how you reacted to me.”

 

Joohyun had known for sure that Seulgi was pretending to not know her then. But, she also knew soon enough that she actually didn’t know her either. It didn’t take long because her eyes looked so lost and distant, they still look that way.

 

“Can I ask why you had to lie to me? Or who’s been taking caring of you this whole time?”

 

Now it dawns on Seulgi, Joohyun wants more information. Only she can’t give her but so much information. Seulgi has to be careful about what she chooses to say.

 

“Joohyun, I can’t tell you what you want to know.”

 

“You’re my wife whether you remember or not. And you’ve never lied to me before, please don’t start now.”

 

If Joohyun only knew however, that technically she has been lying about a lot that involves herself. That she has an entirely separate life that she had kept hidden for many years. And clearly kept it very well, up until now with the whole car explosion event. Since, it would be obvious to anyone that the car accident was no such thing. Seulgi would have to tell her something believable as far as that, only right now she has no idea. There is knocking at the door, thank god Seulgi thinks.

 

“Wait here, I’ll see who it is. We’re not finished though, okay.”

 

Seulgi hears 3 other voices soon, sounds like it’s Seungwan, Joy, and Yeri. The fact that they are here right now is actually perfect. They could serve as a diversion.

 

“Seulgi-unnie, hi.” The taller one, Joy speaks first. “How are you feeling today?”
 

“I’m fine, and how are you?”

 

“I’m good unnie. We just wanted to check on you to see how you were after yesterday.”

 

“Yeah, yesterday was really crazy Seul. So we wanted to see how you and Joohyun-unnie were both doing.” Seungwan tells her. Seulgi needs to remember which name goes with which face.

 

“Thank you, that’s nice.”

 

It’s still such a weirdness going on, but it’s to be expected. She doesn’t know who any of them are. She’s even just looking at them with such a faraway look that it really hurts to see. They can’t even begin to imagine how Joohyun must feel about this.

 

“How do you feel to be back home?” Yeri, she doesn’t have that much of an issue remembering her, as she is younger. And also, for some reason Seulgi thinks she looks like a turtle, a cute turtle. In fact the more she observes them they all look like some sort of animal. Joy, a chicken but adorable. Seungwan reminds her of a hamster, Joohyun looks like a bunny. Well, she has been told she looks like a bear so why not have friends and a wife that resemble a cute animal too. Whether that was intentional though, probably not.

 

“Um, can I be honest?”

 

“Of course honey.” Joohyun nods, sitting down with her as they have now all moved into the living room. She takes her hand.

 

“I’ am uncomfortable here with all of you. I’m sorry to say that, but I can tell you are all just as uncomfortable.”

 

“We are. But, it not permanent because you’ll remember us and we’ll help you.” The raven assures her.

 

“Yeah, unnie of course we will.” Joy nods. “In fact, we could tell you some stories now.”

 

“If you want to Seul.” Seungwan mentions carefully.

 

Seulgi agrees, but only so it can get them all talking. Since there is no way she will remember what they are telling her anyway. She can use the time to think of what she will do. Still, hearing the stories of how she and Seungwan met as young kids that remained inseparable for so long is touching. Or, how she met Yeri by protecting the younger girl from being bullied makes her feel something. And Joy, had a similar story only it involved a department store and pretending to be sisters so Joy wouldn’t be in trouble.

 

“You’re a thief?” Is all Seulgi tells Joy, and that makes all of them laugh.

 

“Yah, I wasn’t a thief. I was just a kid back then I did something stupid. I would have probably been arrested unnie if you didn’t say you were my sister and paid for what I took.”

 

“In other words Joy-unnie is a thief.” Yeri deadpans.

 

“I see, well that’s good to know I guess.” Seulgi says. “Um, and you said we were friends since we were kids?” She asks Seungwan who nods.

 

“Yeah, best friends from even then. We even have the same birthday month and we’d celebrate it no matter what. Even when I moved to Canada for awhile. I just want you to know Seul, we all love you and we won’t pressure you okay. We just want for you to let us help you.”

 

“Okay.” The monolid woman nods. She waits until there are some individual conversations happening. Time to really put a plan to motion.

 

“I need to go to the bathroom.” She mentions then goes upstairs. Everyone looks to Joohyun.

 

“Unnie, are you okay?” Yeri has to ask. Joohyun isn’t having an easy time either.

 

“How was Seulgi-unnie when she got home?” Joy wonders.

 

“She tried to leave at first, and her appetite is so poor that I am getting really worried about it.”

 

“I can’t imagine Seulgi-unnie not eating though, it’s scary actually.” Yeri has seen the amount of food her favorite unnie can put away. If she’s no longer eating like that it’s scary.

 

“Remember she didn’t want the pringles!” The tallest flashes back to yesterday and screams, then begs Yeri to hold her all over again. The youngest just sighs but does hold her over dramatic unnie.

 

“Okay, since Joy has lost her mind. Unnie, did Seul tell you anything at all about where she’s been.” Seungwan asks the raven.

 

“No.” Joohyun sighs. “She only admitted to me that she was Seulgi, but wouldn’t tell me why she had to lie. I’m really worried about her.”


 

Meanwhile upstairs Seulgi has done a quick surveillance of the area. She can either jump from the bedroom window or her art studio room window. She can do it, it’s not that far of a jump at all. She can slide down accordingly and make a run for it, and call Eunbi or Jisoo to meet her. Yeah, that sounds like a great plan. She pauses though when she hears Yeri.

 

“Unnie, you’ve been gone awhile are you okay?”

 

“!” Seulgi just hurries to the bedroom window. And is halfway out  when Yeri notices.

 

“Unnie, what are you doing?” The blonde has eyes wide in shock.

 

Seulgi blinks several times. Well, she was hoping that they would stay downstairs for awhile.

 

“Yeri, can you please go back downstairs and not say anything.”

 

“What? Why would I do that? You’re trying to run away.”
 

“Yeri, listen I….”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter