Observations

Have we met before?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Thank you to all who read and reviewed the previous chapter. It is my goal to finish this fic within 20 chapters, or possibly less but still maybe 20 not sure. Here’s chapter 12.

 

Seulgi wakes up to find Joohyun sleeping comfortably besides her, with head resting on her shoulder. She looks so relaxed as if this sort of thing is normal. It probably is, Seulgi just can’t remember. The monolid woman takes in her features. The woman is gorgeous, not just in the physical sense but internally as well. Seulgi can tell and see how genuine Joohyun is. In every single action she shows how much she loves her. Last night falling asleep next to Joohyun didn’t feel awkward at all. She may have not been entirely comfortable, but she wasn’t uncomfortable either. Last night was probably one of the best ones they could have considering all things.

 

(Flashback)

 

They sat and talked for what was hours. Joohyun made them hot chocolate, with extra marshmallows for Seulgi’s cup. When the blonde asked why. Joohyun told her it was always how she made it for her, or rather how she would always request it. The raven also continued to tell her stories about their relationship. Seulgi still felt as if she was listening to someone else’s life being told. All that she knew for sure was that it felt good to see Joohyun smile.

 

“Do you need to go soon?” The shorter woman wonders. She’s been having such a good time talking to Seulgi. She has loved being able to recall some of her most precious memories with her wife. The blonde doesn’t see how staying one night would hurt anything. Her friends aren’t currently texting or calling to drop any major bombs. That means everything is probably fine back at headquarters.

 

“I can stay tonight with you. If that’s okay?”

 

“Yes, it’s more than fine.” Joohyun hugs her. She then leaves a tender kiss against her cheek. Then she takes a hold of her hand and leads the way upstairs to the bedroom. She soon hands Seulgi some pajamas again. It’s similar to what happened before. However, the atmosphere is nowhere near as awkward. Seulgi even touches her hands several times without flinching away.

 

Joohyun is happy about these small changes. She’s been open all evening to talking with her. The entire night has been positive so far. Now she’s going to be able to sleep besides her wife. It’s sad to think of something so simple as going to bed with Seulgi as a luxury. When it used to be such an easy thing to do. When Seulgi returns she is dressed in a white Pringles themed shirt and dark pajama shorts. The blonde stares curiously at the shirt.

 

“Is there anything wrong, Seul?” The raven wonders as she sees the curious expression on her wife’s face.

 

“Do I really like Pringles so much?”

 

Joohyun could barely believe Seulgi is asking her a question like this. Her bear loves those chips more than anything.

 

“You really love them.”

 

“Oh…” Seulgi finds it hard to believe. She hasn’t wanted to eat a single Pringle ever from the time she has woken. She can’t imagine it honestly.

 

“There’s so much I don’t know about myself.” Seulgi whispers. That’s when Joohyun comes over to caress her face.

 

“You will. I know you will remember, we’re taking it slow right?”

 

“Yes.” The blonde nods.

 

“Are you ready for bed?”

 

“Yes. I’m really tired.”

 

“We’ll go to bed, maybe we can have breakfast in the morning together.”

 

Seulgi agrees and lays down in bed with Joohyun. There’s a comfortable silence for some time. Joohyun doesn’t like being in bed with her without touching or kissing her.

 

“Seul, can I please cuddle with you. I won’t make you uncomfortable. I’m just so used to cuddling.”

 

Seulgi looks slightly hesitant, yet does allow for Joohyun to come closer. She leans her head on Seulgi’s shoulder. It feels nice to be close as she can to her wife.

 

“Seul?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You’ll tell me right, if you remember anything more. I don’t mind if you’re sure about the memories. I just want you to tell me.”

 

It’s fair. Joohyun is the best person to be able to talk about their relationship with. She has lived it with her.

 

“I’ll tell you, Joohyun. If I remember other memories.”

 

(End)

 

Seulgi gets up carefully so she can check her phone for any important messages. There are just some from Eunbi and Jisoo in their group chat. They both seem to be freaking out about something. They are so vague in what they are saying, Seulgi can barely text them to see what happened because Joohyun is waking up.

 

“Seul, honey…” She yawns. “Are you okay?”

 

Seulgi quickly shoved her phone into her pants pocket that are laying on a nearby dresser.

 

“I’m fine, good morning, Joohyun.” She comes back over to the bed. The raven hugs her. Seulgi did seem okay with intimacy yesterday so she hopes to raise the level of affection as time goes by.

 

“Good morning.” The raven smiles softly. “Are you hungry? Ready for some breakfast?”

 

“I am, a little.”

 

“Okay, let’s go have breakfast.” Joohyun reaches over for her hand as she leads the way downstairs. Seulgi doesn’t flinch away, and that makes the shorter woman smile. Things are looking better and better.


 

Taeyeon wakes up in her room at one of their well known safe houses. Jessica was very vague last night when they arrived. Taeyeon has been an agent long enough to know to be on your guard always. She only brought a few weapons, one of her favorite pistols with a silencer, a dagger, plus a few odds and ends she may need. Jessica doesn’t seem overly worried, but she is the best at wearing her emotionless face. She is the founder, leader, and knows how to play well. Taeyeon knows deep down that she’s not fine, no matter how professional she’s behaving. The shorter dark-haired woman steps out into the dining area to see Jessica seated with tea in front of her, and typing in on a MacBook.

 

“Sica, hi. Good morning.”

 

“Good morning, Tae. There’s food in the kitchen.”

 

“I’ll grab something. Did you eat?”

 

“Yes, a little.”

 

“You should eat more. You’re so thin.”

 

Jessica glares immediately. Who is Taeyeon to tell her to eat more. She is pretty thin herself and has no room to talk.

 

“You’re thin too.”

 

“You’re thin probably because you’re missing meals.”

 

“I’m fine, Tae.”

 

“No, you’re not.” Taeyeon thinks. She does sit down on the opposite side of the table. There is such a silence in the room that the dark-haired woman almost wants to start screaming to get Jessica’s attention.

 

“Sica, you didn’t really talk about who we’re meeting.”

 

The brunette pauses her typing. “We’re meeting an old friend first. Then we will meet the actual person we’re having the meeting with. You know, conceal your weapon and everything.”

 

The dark-haired woman looks insulted.

 

“Hey, I know how to handle myself. I’m more worried about you, Director-nim. It’s been way too long since you’ve been out like this.”

 

Jessica smiles only slightly, yet Taeyeon sees that geniality glint in her eyes.

 

“Don’t worry about me, Tae. I’ll be fine. We’ll go after you finish breakfast, okay. So be ready.”

 

“I’m always ready, Sica.”


 

After breakfast, Seulgi meets another friend from her past. A woman named Choi Jinri who introduces herself as a detective. She explains they went to HS together, and how she was trying to help Joohyun find out what happened to her. Seulgi wishes that she could tell Jinri that she remembers her. She can’t. There is a quick look of disappointment on the detectives face but it passes.

 

“I’m sorry.” Seulgi apologizes as she has to everyone else so far. She feels Joohyun reach for her hand to squeeze.

 

“No, don’t apologize, Seul. You’ve been through something traumatic. I can’t even imagine how horrible it had to have been. We’re all just so glad you’re alive.”

 

It dawns on Seulgi they if Jinri is a detective. She might have seen photos of the crime, or have some insight.

 

“Jinri, can I ask if you’ve seen the crime scene photos?”

 

Jinri shares a brief glance of concern with Joohyun. Jinri has photos and copies of evidence from her friend Luna. Joohyun had been an eyewitness.

 

“Seul, why do you want to see those photos. They were gruesome.”

 

Seulgi doesn’t miss how Joohyun flinches. It’s now her turn to try and comfort her. Seulgi gives a soft squeeze to her hand.

 

“I can’t remember anything that happened to me. I was thinking if I had a look at the pictures. It could jog my memory.”

 

“Honey, are you sure? This could only upset you.” Joohyun is worried about how doing this could hurt her in some way.

 

“I need to, Joohyun. I can have Jinri show me alone. So, you don’t have to be upset again.”

 

The raven doesn’t want to leave her. She also doesn’t want to look at pictures of the accident again, not when she had to live it.

 

“I’ll be right in the kitchen, okay. If you need me.” Joohyun promises then goes to wait nearby in the kitchen. Jinri pulls out her tablet from her bag. Jinri stores a lot of work files on this tablet and keeps it separate from the one she uses for entertainment. The detective hesitantly opens a folder. Seulgi’s face is neutral, not betraying any hint of her unease. Jinri opens the folder and the pictures pop up. Seulgi sees the car engulfed in bright, orange flames. There are several pictures of the aftermath too, nothing but melted metal and ash. Pictures of cops and firefighters at the scene as well.

 

Seulgi is shut down as she stares at the images. The blonde tries to picture herself being trapped in that car. No doubt thinking she was seconds away from dying.

 

“I should have died.” She whispers. Since technically there is no way she should have lived.

 

“Seul, are you okay?” Jinri wonders, as perhaps it wasn’t a good idea to show those images. Joohyun is staring at her worriedly. She didn’t see how showing the pictures would help anything. She’s only concerned what this could end up doing to her wife.

 

“It just feels so unreal.” Seulgi admits. “None of this feels real or like it’s my life.”

 

Jinri nods. It has to be difficult for the blonde trying to make sense of her life, and piece it together with her new reality.

 

“Seul, you have Joohyun-unnie, our friends, and others who want to help you. Please know that.”

 

“Thank you, Jinri.”

 

Soon the detective is bidding them farewell not before giving Seulgi her number. Since whoever it is that put the bomb in her car is still out there. Joohyun comes over to Seulgi to see how she’s truly doing.

 

“Talk to me. Are you okay?”

 

“Is a bit unreal.” The monolid woman tells her. She finds it all so difficult to believe. It’s hard sometimes believing she is even alive.

 

“I want for you to remember your life, but if I could have you not remember the accident then I would be grateful. You don’t need to relive that horrific night.”

 

If she could the raven would spare her from the memories of that night. She has her own nightmares even now. She wouldn’t want Seulgi to have the same. The blonde turns to look at her fully.

 

“Do you have bad memories about that night, still?”

 

“Sometimes I do.” Joohyun nods. “I try to focus on the fact that you’re alive and that helps to calm me down.”


 

“I wish you wouldn’t have to have any painful memories at all, Joohyun.”

 

The shorter woman reaches for her hand. The one that once had her wedding band. She gazes sadly at her once ring covered finger. The ring no doubt had to have been burned in the fire. A ring can always be replaced, but not her soulmate.

 

“I’m sorry. The ring might be destroyed.” Seulgi says as she noticed the way Joohyun is looking at her hand. The raven smiles softly.

 

“Your ring we can replace. I can’t replace you.” Joohyun tells her tenderly. Seulgi thinks she must find out if her ring is truly lost to the flame.


 

After they have breakfast. Jessica and Taeyeon end up at a beach house. It’s nothing overly fancy but it’s on secluded properly, and perfect for an ambush if Taeyeon were being honest.

 

“You didn’t say who we were meeting, Sica.”

 

“She should be here already.”

 

Taeyeon soon hears quiet footsteps approaching from behind Jessica. The taller brunette figure tries to put her hands over Jessica’s eyes, but the director simply catches her hands before they touch her.

 

“Stop it, Yul. I know it’s you.”

 

“Jesus, Sica. How are you still so scary as .” The woman laughs. Then takes immediate notice of Taeyeon. Yuri smiles.

 

“Tae! Hey, it’s been so long.”

 

“Kwon Yul, wow. It’s definitely been too long. Come on, black pearl.” She teases Yuri’s once upon a time codename.

 

“Ajumma!”

 

“Yah, stop it. My name was Dookong!” Taeyeon pouts.

 

“Behind your back we all called you Ajumma.”

 

“Yah!”

 

Jessica lets out a small amused smile as she watches Yuri and Taeyeon argue back and forth. They soon enter the house and talk for awhile catching up on what they’ve all been up to.  Jessica doesn’t participate in their conversation. Everyone knows what she’s been up to.

 

“This is nice, but Yul were you able to secure the meeting for later. I did get the response that we’re good. Meetings however get canceled all the time.” Although, Jessica isn’t all too worried about the meeting not happening. She knows it will.

 

“Sica, we’re good, don’t worry. I’m surprised you even wanted the meeting.”

 

“I need answers. She might have them.”

 

Yuri nods. She isn’t in touch with Jessica often, but she does talk with Hyoyeon and Sooyoung. They fill her in from time to time. She understands the situation.

 

“Be careful Sica, and you too, Tae. I’ll be around the area for back up, but I can’t be seen with you guys.”

 

Jessica nods. She understands how Yuri could be compromised if she is seen to close to the meeting place. She thanks Yuri and leaves first with Taeyeon following after her.

 

“Hey, so who are we meeting now. Why can’t Yuri go with us.”

 

“She’s a bit too close to the organization. If she’s seen with us. It would be suspect, Tae are you ready?”

 

The dark-haired woman nods. She’s ready for whatever it is. “Okay, Sica let's go.”


 

Seulgi doesn’t stay much longer with Joohyun. She feels badly that she has to go. They shared a hug and one more kiss before Seulgi leaves. She spots a few people in the neighborhood dressed in casual clothing. There is something about their presence that makes Seulgi know for sure that they work for Jessica too. The security is probably keeping an eye on Joohyun too, which brings relief to the blonde.

 

She couldn’t take it if Joohyun were somehow hurt because of her job. It amazes Seulgi to think of how she had an entirely separate life from the raven. A dangerous life at that. She wonders if there is any way to get insight from her without revealing her work in the process. Joohyun must have taken notice to certain things. Like Seulgi coming home at strange hours, unexplainable injuries, or stories that don’t add up. She decides she will ask next time she sees Joohyun.

 

When Seulgi returns to headquarters Jisoo and Eunbi ask her to meet at one of the gyms. They are both there working out.

 

“Unnie, hey. Did everything go okay at home?” Jisoo wonders.

 

“Yes.” Seulgi nods. “It wasn’t awkward this time.”

 

“Good.” Eunbi smiles softly. “For what it’s worth unnie. We hope you’ll get your life and  memories back.”

 

“Me too, thanks. Can I ask what’s going on?” The monolid woman gestures to her phone with all the messages.

 

“Oh, yeah. You won’t believe what happened, unnie. Director Jung left, as in left the building. Everyone was so surprised.”

 

Seulgi as well looks surprised to hear this. According to everyone Jessica doesn’t leave, ever. What could this even mean? Something big must be going on. First Hyoyeon and Sooyoung are behaving weird and now this. Seulgi has a feeling that she’ll need to find out more. There are clearly things going on here that she isn’t aware of.


 

Yuri takes them as far as she can to a beach house property. It doesn’t look any out of the ordinary. Yuri can’t be seen taking them up the path so she speaks to them both once more.

 

“Okay, so there may or may not be a need for you both to fight your way out. I don’t thin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter