Taeyeon II

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

"I want to introduce someone to you, Taeyeon." Her shoulders slumped when she heard Sooyoung's determined voice about the hum of her television.

"I don't need anyone."

"Oh, come on," Sooyoung whined and threw her hands up. 

"You know I'm perfectly fine alone."

"You are so cold you're freezing my off." Sooyoung rolled her eyes. 

"Your legs are too long," Taeyeon calmly retorted and pushed Sooyoung's legs off her lap. The latter huffed at Taeyeon's reaction, or lack of as the brunette returned her gaze back to the television that they both knew none of them were paying attention to.

"Just one date," Sooyoung pleaded and Taeyeon darted her eyes uncomfortably when the rusted hair girl leaned her weight onto Taeyeon. 

"Please?" Taeyeon finally gave in because first, Sooyoung was getting too close for her comfort and second, she knew Sooyoung probably had plans in her warped mind from A to Z to persuade her to go for the date. 

Taeyeon was somehow glad for trusting Sooyoung for once. Bae Joohyun, or more comfortably by the name of Irene was a carbon copy of her. Taeyeon remembered bumping into Irene in school on several occasion. Irene was reserved with a beautiful smile, matured and insightful- she shared similar hobbies as Taeyeon being a homebody too. Taeyeon agreed to exclusively see Irene after three casual dates. Sooyoung was the happiest and Taeyeon thought it was worth taking such a risk upon seeing the smile on her friend's face.

It was leisure and for a second relationship that Taeyeon had, she wasn't sure if it was love or not. Her first relationship was a disaster that lasted three months- there were no feelings to begin with.Taeyeon grimaced when she remembered how the senior roughly smashed his lips into hers. Taeyeon decided afterward that males are too rough and maybe, she had enough of relationships. It was a miracle to find herself sitting next to Irene- there was a faint flutter in her stomach, her lips twitched upwards when she saw the blush on Irene's cheek and she squeezes Irene's clammy hand that slipped into hers. Irene was a good distraction as she diverted her gaze from the weeping soul who stood in the middle of the road.

"I don't like it when you do that," Irene said one day and Taeyeon frowned.

"Do what?"

"Not replying to my messages."

Taeyeon remained silent and let Irene play with her fingers instead. Of course, Taeyeon forgot that being in a relationship means sharing her space with another person which includes obligations, time and many other responsibilities. Her eyebrows creased deeper, twisting her pretty features when Taeyeon felt a new burden on her shoulders. But Taeyeon ignored the unhappiness that Irene had brought up and continued her ways. 

Irene was understanding and patient. There was something attractive with Taeyeon's unapproachable stance and she begged Sooyoung for assistance (of course, she had to bear with the endless teasing and smirks). Irene tried to break the walls but it wasn't enough. Sooyoung had warned her that Taeyeon was an introvert, which Irene was once confident that she could help Taeyeon walk out of it. However, Irene was human and there was only so much she could take at they stand still in a void after dating for a year. Irene knew that Taeyeon was not only an introvert- there were secrets that she hid, and she was so guarded and aloof that Irene hadn't been able to break past that barrier.

Taeyeon sat at the cafe, staring out of the window when Irene heaved another sigh at the silence. 

"I've enough, Taeyeon." Taeyeon raised her brows slightly at the tone. I expected so, she merely thought. 

"How long have we been dating?"

"I'm not sure," Taeyeon forced herself to look at Irene and saw the exhaustion under her eyes and the fierce anger burning in the onyx orbs. 

"A year," Irene breathed. 

"One whole year, Taeyeon. Did you see any problems?"

"I'm not sure," Taeyeon again, said. 

"What are you even sure of, Taeyeon?" Taeyeon remained muted and stared blankly at Irene.

"I like you," Irene whispered and Taeyeon felt her stomach churned. She willed herself not to regurgitated as she clenched her fists. Carrying the feelings of others were heavy and suffocating. 

"There were so many problems but you never acknowledged them. You never acknowledged the problems, my feelings or yours. You just run away, Taeyeon."

Irene bit her lips and exhaled audibly when she managed to suppress her tears. 

"You just run away. Have you ever properly faced a problem before?" Taeyeon drew her gaze from Irene's face to her palms.

"I wanted to help you, I knew I could help you but being in a relationship requires effort from both sides, Taeyeon. We have never, ever, been a proper couple. There are so many secrets that you hide and you know what?" Irene's nose flared as she exhaled shakily. 

"You are a coward."

Irene stood up and the metal chair scraped noisily against the cafe's floor.

"If you keep being like that, you will end up alone. You will be lonely and your selfishness will leave the other party to wilt and die."