Cohabitation

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

Taeyeon woke up the next morning feeling barely rested. Feeling under the weather and grouchy, Taeyeon rang her boss reluctantly. 

"Yeah, I'm aware," Taeyeon closed her eyes with furrowed brows and rubbed her stiff neck, "I don't think so. I can't come to work today." 

"I'm sending it to you later," Taeyeon ended the call and halted in her steps when she saw Tiffany sitting in front of her. Tiffany greeted her with a warm smile and Taeyeon looked away. 

"Are you sick?" Tiffany asked with concern and Taeyeon wobbled down the flight of steps. 

"I guess," she said, swatting away the hand when Tiffany came towards her to touch her forehead. Her hand passed through Tiffany and she did not miss the look of surprise on her face. Taeyeon breathed out heavily; a sinking awareness of how one-sided this whole situation is. 

"I will be fine," Taeyeon headed back up the flight of steps again without throwing a glance at the crestfallen Tiffany. "Don't come up."

Taeyeon didn't know how long she slept, huddled under the comfort of her blanket when a deep resounding knock echoed in her apartment. She groaned as she roused from her slumber, her head weighed a ton and throat scratchy.  

"Don't knock! Taeyeon-ssi is sleeping, she is sick!" Taeyeon heard Tiffany's voice, 'Can you hear me? Don't knock!"

'Can you hear me? Stop knocking! Let Taeyeon-ssi sleep!" Taeyeon saw the brunette yelling in irritation at the wooden door. Taeyeon made her way to the door, ignoring the astonished expression on the brunette's face and swung it open.

"Taeyeon- oh my god, you look horrible. Are you sick?" Juhyun staggered as Taeyeon leaned heavily on her. Taeyeon didn't know how or when she passed out but the next time she opened her eyes, a wet towel was laid on her forehead and she blinked a few times at the ceiling.

"Thank god I decided to visit you today, Kim Taeyeon." Juhyn chided her with worry in her voice, "For someone who is staying alone, who knows what could happen?"

Taeyeon cast her glance from her worried friend to Tiffany, who was leaning against the wall. Tiffany flashed her a rueful smile.

"Why?" Juhyun asked, turning to where Taeyeon fixed her sight, 'Did you see a huge spider again?" 

"Speaking of which," Juhyun pulled out a can of bug spray from her bag and gave it to Taeyeon. "Use this so you won't have an excuse to appear unannounced at my place in the middle of the night again."

Taeyeon's face flushed and she coughed awkwardly, stealing a glance at where Tiffany was standing. It was empty. Taeyeon felt like the biggest scumbag, feeling worse than she already is. She flung her arm over her throbbing head and heaved a sigh. With some persuasion, Taeyeon finally agreed to stay at Juhyun's over the weekend so that Juhyun could nurse her back to health. Taeyeon noticed Tiffany waving from the window as Juhyun ushered her into the taxi.

Tiffany greeted her warmly when Taeyeon set foot into the apartment again on Sunday. She bit back the apology on her tongue, cautiously treading around Tiffany. Tiffany seemingly did not notice Taeyeon's guilt; her bright and cheerful personality made Taeyeon forgo her ill feelings soon enough. It took Taeyeon a while to get used to having Tiffany around her. Taeyeon laid down some boundaries and rules to keep the space she needed and Tiffany abide without any queries. 

On Thursday, Taeyeon found herself biting her pen in frustration and Tiffany was sitting on her bed. Taeyeon's company had received a request for a novel's adaptation from a foreign publisher. Being the only English educated writer in the team, Taeyeon was approached. The commission was favorable and she agreed to the transcription with the condition that she work from home for two months. Her boss reluctantly agreed, understanding that Taeyeon produced better work from home.

 Taeyeon lived in a way that doesn't involve anyone else but Taeyeon found herself giving in when Tiffany offered her help.

"For someone who is born in  California, you sure took a long time to read some English," Taeyeon said without looking up from her laptop. She busily typed away, referring to the drafts lying idly on her lap.

"It's not that," Tiffany said, frowning at the rest of the drafts that were scattered on the bedroom floor, "Your handwriting, it is too difficult to read."

Living by yourself was messy. With a half eaten sandwich from breakfast, a coffee-stained cup, a chocolate wrapper and a few sheets of crumpled paper; Taeyeon really didn't have any thoughts to change her lifestyle- there was no reason to. Living alone was messy. Taeyeon stared at her script, unkempt and scribbled in blue ink. Since when did she become this sloppy? 

"It happens when you work alone," Taeyeon said, embarrassed.

"Ah," Tiffany replied, "The English is okay but Hanks is too polite for someone who is raging. Maybe you could change it to 'You ing bastard'-"

"No,' Taeyeon deadpanned and Tiffany was silent again.

Taeyeon went back to quietly transcribing the next chapter of the story with her blue pen before placing them on the bed for Tiffany to read.

"Next chapter," she laid them out and retrieve the drafts that Tiffany had completed checking. Tiffany pointed out a few grammatical errors which Taeyeon acknowledged.

"Oh, these few pages are easier to read!" Tiffany exclaimed.

"That's good," Taeyeon had a small smile and continued typing on her laptop.