Warmth II

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

Despite Taeyeon awakening with a heavy head and fogged with sleep, she knew that the apartment was too quiet that morning. Taeyeon stumbled over her own feet; her thoughts of losing Tiffany causing the last of her sleep to elude her completely. There, Taeyeon found Tiffany crouching at the plateau again like how she had spent the past three days since Yoona’s visit. 

Taeyeon wished she knew what was on Tiffany’s mind. The boisterous and cheerful demure vanished without a trace and Tiffany’s face was void of expression. Prince barked and clawed at the door, breaking Taeyeon’s train of thoughts. 

“Morning,” Taeyeon breathed so delicately; afraid that Tiffany would leave, afraid that Tiffany would slip right through her fingers, afraid that she would lose this illusion. 

Morning, Taeyeon,” Tiffany greeted monotonously as if she was programmed to do so. Taeyeon diverted her attention to the puppies; the trio eagerly wagging their tails when Taeyeon the little bodies pressed against her hand. 

“Let’s get you breakfast okay?” Taeyeon cracked a smile when Ginger gave her a little nip on her finger. The brunette heaved a silent sigh and excused herself when Tiffany continued to stare motionlessly at the space before her. Taeyeon nearly dropped the bowls of dog feed in her hand when she returned. 

“Tiffany!” She yelled. Tiffany retracted her arm that has vanished beyond the barrier. 

“Get inside.” Taeyeon coaxed and slide the door wider, “Come inside, please.”

Tiffany gave her a blank stare and walked past her. Taeyeon flinched at the lack of expression on Tiffany’s face. Taeyeon swallowed the helplessness that surfaced- the screams of her mother rang in her ears. Tiffany once meekly confessed to Taeyeon she had attempted to end her lonesome life as a ghost- it was an unbearable amount of pain. Taeyeon had chided her then and it was never spoken of again. 

“What were you doing?” Taeyeon’s voice trembled. She put down the plates and wrapped her arms around herself; coaxing herself that Tiffany is still within her grasp. 

“You cannot do this.” Taeyeon found herself whispering with desperation and plea in her voice. 

“You are the one who persuaded me to stay! You can’t...” Tiffany’s eyes flickered and the rest of the words died on her tongue. Taeyeon willed herself to look away from the pain in Tiffany's eyes- like a vortex, the pleading eyes overwhelmed her with unspeakable emotions. Taeyeon wanted to run.  

“Taeyeon,” Tiffany whimpered, “Please, stop this pain.”

Taeyeon instantly wished she could shoulder the grief instead. At least, she can seek comfort with professional help or in the arms of her friends. At least, Taeyeon could be heard. It was a peculiar feeling- Taeyeon had never relied on someone so much that she felt a sense of loss. To care for someone and put them before herself; it was a burden heavier than those feelings of others she had refused. Fear was pounding in her ears, her hands were cold and Taeyeon wondered when had she changed. She knelt before the trembling girl who balled her fists tightly against her chest. Taeyeon wished she was enough to ease Tiffany's agony. 

“Lean on me,” Taeyeon followed her heart's yearning, “Tiffany, I want you to lean on me.”

“There is nothing I can do for you. But you can lean on me.”

Tiffany lifted her head and saw the sincerity in Taeyeon’s eye. There was a quaver in Taeyeon’s voice, her eyes misty and hands trembling. Tiffany was grateful that Taeyeon was there, Taeyeon was trying, Taeyeon cares and Tiffany poured all her grievances. Tiffany cried against Taeyeon’s chest, embracing the serenity that Taeyeon carries with her. Once again, the steady rhythm of Taeyeon's heartbeat erased the last of Tiffany's agony and replaced it with a warmth that Tiffany embraced wholeheartedly. With a stern lecture and a pinky promise, Tiffany formed a new promise that she would never think of leaving Taeyeon again. Tiffany thought the blush that blossoms on Taeyeon's cheeks were adorable as she averted her gaze timidly. Taeyeon found a box that afternoon and kept the documents that Yoona had brought over. Tiffany wore a solemn look on her face again that didn't escape from Taeyeon.

"Tiffany," Taeyeon waved her hand to shake Tiffany out from her reverie. Taeyeon pulled out a few photographs from the box and laid them on the floor.

"What?"

"On the wall there. Let's make a collage using these photographs."

"Of me?"

"Yes." Taeyeon was already arranging the photographs, "Then who?"

"Why me? This is your house, Taeyeon."

"It's your house too, Tiffany," Taeyeon didn't miss a beat.

"Then it's not fair," Tiffany was engrossed with the way Taeyeon's fingers moved as she slides the photographs across the floor for a new arrangement, "You should include pictures of yourself too."

"Me?" Taeyeon echoed, "But..."

Tiffany had a smirk on her face when she saw Taeyeon fiddling with her shirt. it would probably be a rare sight to see Taeyeon flushed red twice in a day. Tiffany was left staring at her photographs that laid on the floor when Taeyeon ran upstairs. It wasn't easy to act unaffected staring at the photographs of herself- bared and laid on the floor. There were regrets that Tiffany recalled from these happy smiles- when she didn't get to say I love you enough to her biological mother, when she had forgotten about her high school best friend's birthday, the pink ballet flats that she had left behind in California and the things she hasn't done when she was alive. Was it ever going to be easy admitting and accepting your own death? Tiffany stared at her hands and how she could see the photographs through the translucence of her palms. Tiffany found herself tearing up again; heaving heavily through at the waves of grief that washed over her. It was release- Tiffany knew that she could smile brighter afterward and Taeyeon silently watched her. 

They put up the photographs that evening. Taeyeon tore tapes to secure them in on the walls and placed photographs of herself with Tiffany's. There was playful banters as Taeyeon struggled with her height and Tiffany's teasing. Tiffany smile was warm and her light laugher put Taeyeon at ease again. They stood before the wall of photographs, Tiffany's hand in hers and Taeyeon stared proudly at her work. She will be enough, Taeyeon thought as her gaze was fixated at Tiffany's genuine smile.

Taeyeon was glad that she is enough for Tiffany.