Sequel: And I’m Here

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

Taeyeon tugged the last of the photographs off the wall. There was box in her closet for all the things that once belongs and reminded her of Tiffany. She stood, staring at the wall with gratitude. There was regret because Taeyeon wished she had said something to Tiffany before she left.

Taeyeon had stayed indoors after Tiffany was gone because Tiffany’s warmth lingered. She raged, in agony, mostly in denial and finally the emotions left her in streams of tears. She cried until she no longer had tears; curled up on left side of the bed because Tiffany would take the right. Weeks of mourning, lapsed into a month and Taeyeon was up and about again. With the memories, it motivated her to live better because Tiffany had changed her. 

Juhyun and Yoona visited again because Taeyeon finally picked up her phone. Juhyun drove her around, met for fried chicken with Yoona and Taeyeon knew it was Juhyun’s way of saying that nothing between them had changed. Taeyeon welcomed Ginger home with a small smile on her face. Juhyun had became inseparable with Serendipity and Yoona adopted Princess. It was easier for her to settle with one dog because she wasn’t a animal person to begin with but the apartment was too quiet without Tiffany.

Taeyeon’s hair grew a little longer, frayed at the ends and she decided to go for a haircut. She had it trimmed until it was shoulder length and dyed it blonde. A new start. She decided to keep the apartment but study abroad like she had planned- it’d only take three years if she worked hard enough and Taeyeon wanted to see Tiffany’s home. She sent her application in to a university in New York with her fingers crossed. 

Juhyun made a bigger fuss than she had expected- firstly over the hair, her accommodation, highlighted her preference for Asian food and Taeyeon’s english. Taeyeon had to remind her that she transcripts Korean novels to English and Juhyun was sobbing like a mother who is watching her child during a kindergarten graduation ceremony.  She handed the keys of the apartment to her because Taeyeon trusted her with more than just her life. Taeyeon packed her things and snuck a few of Tiffany’s photographs under her clothes. Ginger had a brand new traveling dog kennel and a toy to bring along too. Taeyeon was off to New York and she could feel Tiffany watching over her proudly. 

It took Taeyeon a few more months to notice that something was amiss. 

“Did you see any hot New York ghost?” Juhyun joked and Yoona chided her for her insensitivity. That’s when she realized- she couldn’t see spirits anymore. It wasn’t just in New York. Over the summer break in Seoul, Taeyeon couldn’t see them anywhere. Not the little boy in the middle of the road, the old lady down the street, the couple she from a car accident a year ago on the highway. Taeyeon could only smile in gratitude. 

University was grueling but Taeyeon gritted her teeth through it. She has taken up journalism instead of architecture like Tiffany had suggested. Taeyeon laughed because maybe, Tiffany really didn’t know her that well after all. There was a girl in her class named Tiffany too. Taeyeon smiled every time she heard this name but Taeyeon missed the Tiffany she knew. 

Three years passed in a flash and Taeyeon graduated as one of the top scholars in her intake. Juhyun was crying again at her ceremony and snapping pictures like all the other parents in the hall. Yoona could not make it because she was finally meeting her boyfriend’s parents to discuss about their wedding. Juhyun stayed a week in New York with her- loading three years worth of books back to Seoul. Taeyeon lived simple so it was a breeze and they spent times like old days; even better- as Taeyeon guided Juhyun through streets of the bustling New York. Juhyun knew Taeyeon had one last thing to do before going back to Seoul. It was getting cold so with a scarf around her neck, Taeyeon bid Juhyun goodbye at the airport and took a train to California. 

It wasn’t easy and with the help of Yoona- who has patiently visited Sunny again, managed to get the address of Tiffany’s old house. Taeyeon felt small and lost standing in from of the building- a huge red “On Lease” plastered across the front door. She snuck in under the fence and brushed her fingers against the rusted chains on the swing. 

Taeyeon could picture Tiffany laughing. Tiffany running across the yard. If she stared hard enough, she could see Tiffany seated near the window with her head buried in the books. The door was bolted the lock and Taeyeon could only imagine Tiffany living her life inside. A scurry of food steps. Tiffany’s boisterous laughter. The days when Tiffany cried. The days when she was mischievous. 

Taeyeon wiped the tears from her face as the first snow of the year begin to fall. The swing creaked in protest from the years of neglect as Taeyeon nimbly sat on it. Taeyeon dug for the photograph of Tiffany she kept folded in her wallet. And Taeyeon let her tears fall like three years ago because her wish to see Tiffany again were more than what she could put into words. 

“Taeyeon, why are you crying?”

Taeyeon’s head jerked up in surprise. There, Tiffany stood in front of her akin to how Taeyeon had last seen her three years ago. 

“Hello. I missed you,” Tiffany too, had tears in her eyes and Taeyeon threw all logic aside. No doubt, it was Tiffany in flesh. In her arms. The same vanilla and coffee, the warmth and Tiffany’s steady heartbeat send another wave of tears.

“Congratulations,” Tiffany pressed a kiss on her forehead, “and I like your new hair.”

“Thanks. You looked the same.” Taeyeon chuckled. 

“Why are you back?”

“I heard you,” Tiffany pressed her forehead against Taeyeon.

“I prayed hard enough then,” Taeyeon joked and Tiffany giggled. Tiffany had her eyes closed, basking in the moment of reunion. 

“I’m home,” Taeyeon pulled Tiffany closer and kissed her. In that instance, Taeyeon finally knew what she had always wanted to tell Tiffany. 

“Thank you. I love you.”