Sunny

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

“Sunny unnie? How are you feeling?” Sunny momentarily spared a glance at the ombre-haired doctor who strutted into her room with a smile. 

“Not too bad.”

“That’s good. You gave me a scare earlier.”

“Did you give it to her?” 

“I did,” The doctor pulled her hair into a ponytail and sat beside Sunny.

“That’s good. I hope she gives it to Taeyeon.” Sunny said. The doctor hummed in reply and pulled out a black notebook from the pocket of her white coat.

“Seungwan.” Sunny said after a period of silence.

“What?” The doctor continued scribbling on her notepad.

“I don’t want them to see it.”

“Who?” 

“Whoever.”

"What?" Seungwan frowned. She scooted closer to hear what Sunny was mumbling under her breath. 

“I’m guilty. I feel it.”

“I think you’re punished enough by being here, unnie. You don’t belong here.”

“Then where, Wan? The jail? Or hell?” Sunny scoffed.

“I don’t mean that, unnie. I mean, out of here. Like a normal person.”

“And be tormented daily by what I had done?”

“Unnie... I believe that everyone has the right to live life as long as they repent.”

“You don’t understand, Wan.”

“You indirectly caused your sister’s death. You attacked Taeyeon. You feigned insanity to stay in this hell. What else? Make me understand.”

“You won’t.”

“Then make me!”

“I love her! I love my sister, Wan. I loved her so much it scares me.”

Sunny was born with a silver spoon in - adored and cradled in the palms of the Lee family like a precious jewel. Sunny met Tiffany when she was ten; the latter was adopted into her family and Sunny admired the girl with a bright smile despite her fate. They got along easily and Sunny was elated to share the love she had received from her family with Tiffany. Tiffany was intelligent; her achievements made Sunny puffed her chest in pride as she introduced her stepsister to her friends in school. 

Sunny, Tiffany said one day as she brushed away strands of hair and cradled Sunny’s cheeks in her palms; You are bright like the sun so you should name yourself Sunny. And she did; Sunny loves that name more than Soonkyu. With a kiss pressed to her forehead, Sunny fell in love with Tiffany at the age of fifteen. 

Sunny knew that Tiffany would never reciprocate her affection. It was sufficient for her to have Tiffany’s hand in hers, a peck on her cheek and the hugs they shared in the pretense of sisters. It was sufficient for her until one day, Sunny realized that Tiffany not only had her heart but everything else she owns.

Tiffany would like this, her mother would say when Sunny spends quality time with her for bonding, Tiffany would like that. 

I wonder if Tiffany is home, her father would muse as Sunny accompanied him for a musical which she painstakingly sourced for tickets, I wonder if Tiffany had dinner.

Tiffany is one of the top three students in school, her parents boasted to her relatives during the annual gathering, Tiffany is so beautiful, isn’t she? 

Tiffany, Tiffany, Tiffany, Tiffany- Her parents live revolved around her adopted sister and Sunny felt a hollowness within her where her heart once laid. Sunny detest the fact that Tiffany was a people's person- how everyone falls for her smile and she would never solely belong to her. Sunny hated how Tiffany wasn't just hers to boast. Sunny knew it was more than love now; there was hatred, a selfish desire, an obsession, a need, an endless cycle that ate her from the inside. 

The first thing that came to Sunny’s mind was to get rid of her stepsister. It was absurd, Sunny knew, but her eighteen-year-old mind churns with the need to eliminate this sickening feeling that gripped her insides. Then Sunny chanced upon a bottle of pills one day- her lips curled with evil laughter knowing that the perfect daughter her parents had wasn’t all that perfect after all. 

It was painfully slow, but Sunny lived in a trance as she felt Tiffany’s life slowly slipped away. She gently the snoozing girl’s cheek, adoring the supremacy she had over Tiffany’s life as they laid on the bed in Tiffany’s apartment in Seoul. She loved Tiffany so much that she hated her. 

When Tiffany passed away, Sunny was elated. Sunny was genuinely happy until she heard her parents' heartbreaking cries at the funeral. She realized that Tiffany’s presence will never leave. She realized that Tiffany was no longer with around. Sunny realized that she missed the warmth of her hugs, the smoothness of her hair between her fingertips, the scent of Tiffany’s favorite vanilla latte and her husky laughter that haunted Sunny’s dream every night. 

The guilt and loss of her love gnawed at Sunny. Her parents passed away in an accident shortly- her father had driven his car into a tree back in California. The misfortune tormented her so much that Sunny felt unworthy to mourn. She started visiting a doctor to keep her sanity in check until one day, she heard the rumors that someone had moved into Tiffany’s apartment- someone who was capable of seeing Tiffany’s spirit. Her hatred for Tiffany surfaced again and Taeyeon was an outlet for Sunny to release some of the misery. 

Seungwan stared at Sunny as she wiped a stray tear that rolled down her cheek. 

“I didn’t feign it, Seungwan. I’m sick up here,” Sunny laughed and jabbed a finger at her temple. 

“I belong here.”