Opening Up

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

Juhyun stayed true to her words and spent most of her time with Taeyeon in the ward, caring for her needs. The remaining days in the hospital was uneventful- Taeyeon complimented Juhyun's new hairstyle and Juhyun began speaking to Taeyeon again. Taeyeon was fussed over by the nurses and Yoona was never empty-handed when she visited on every other day. She had never mentioned about that night in the apartment again. 

It was unlike her, a small smile permanently plastered on her face as she signed the given forms for discharges. It's new for such emotions but Taeyeon was eager to leave the hospital. She yearned to meet Tiffany again. Taeyeon packed the last of her clothes into the bag and Juhyun quietly watched her from a corner of the room, occasionally offering her help without a word. 

"Tell me," Juhyun broke the silence, "You can tell me now."

Taeyeon was suddenly unsure again, avoiding Juhyun's glance. There was a reason why Taeyeon decided to avoid humans as she grew- nobody ever accepts someone who can see things. And even if they did, she is the one who was shunned instead.

"She is right... Sunny," Taeyeon threw caution to the wind. It was a pathetic excuse but if she had to learn to stop running, she had to start from Juhyun first, "What she said... was true."

"It's absurd."

"I know," Taeyeon sighed and raked her hair, "I'm not expecting you to understand."

"That woman is crazy! Why are you letting what she said affect you?"

"It's crazy but I believe you." Taeyeon realized that was what she looked forward to. It always seems impossible to hear the answers that you want. 

Juhyun's down-to-earth and realistic personality was something Taeyeon admired. She doesn't want blame Juhyun for reacting this way; anyone would have thought the same. To hear the implications Juhyun made sent a burst of flaming anger and Taeyeon's collected facade shattered. She wasn't angry that Juhyun accused her; she was furious thinking about how Tiffany's existence was taken lightly.

"It's not like that, Hyun. I've been seeing them since I was young. Even before we knew each other."

"Fine, if you can see her, you can just move out."

"I can't leave Tiffany."

"She is a ghost!" 

"You don't understand, Juhyun!"

"You're acting like you're in a relationship with her, Taeyeon! Snap out of it!"

"It's not like that!"

"I know you lived a lonely life, Taeyeon. You can move in with me and-" Yoona's palms met the door with a loud smack. The animosity in the air didn't lessen even though Yoona was now standing between the hot-headed pair. 

"I can hear you from all the way down the corridor. What's going on?"

"Taeyeon is telling me she can see spirits! And she wants to stay with her! How do you expect me to stay calm? Call the doctor, that must have hit her head too hard."

"Juhyun wait-"

"-Her name is Tiffany Hwang. I met her when I first moved in."

"Stop it."

"Taeyeon unnie..."

"She migrated here with Sunny to start a career."

"Taeyeon, stop being crazy!"

"Juhyun, why are you yelling?" Yoona tried to hold the enraged brunette. 

"You wanted to know so I'm telling you honestly!" Taeyeon's voice raised a notch.

"Why are you lashing out at me?" Juhyun's nose flared, "How do you expect me to understand that a close friend of mine could see ghosts?"

"How do you think I feel having to pretend I can't see them?" Taeyeon angrily replied, her feelings breaming over the top; the years of accumulated grievance spiraling out of her control. 

"Can't we just sit and talk this out?"

"Have you lived like this before, Yoona? Aren't you taking this too lightly? What do you know..."

Juhyun and Yoona stared at Taeyeon who stopped mid-sentence. Silence engulfed them as they struggled with their emotions and Taeyeon was restless with the need to see Tiffany. 

"I need to go." Taeyeon breathed heavily.

"Wait-!" 

Taeyeon grabbed her bag and ran out of the ward without another word. It was a mistake, she thought. She wanted to see Tiffany. She was irritated and the first thing that came to her mind was Tiffany. She doesn't know what it is- the realization of her feelings towards Tiffany, the fact that Tiffany is an existence that is difficult to reveal to her friends and she can't touch Tiffany. She was miserable but still, Tiffany was her comfort. Taeyeon wanted to see her. She flagged a cab from the sidewalk and jumped into it. 

"Taeyeon!" Juhyun panted, watching the car till it's out of her sight. 

"Let her go, Juhyun."

"You knew, didn't you?" Juhyun pointed an accusing finger at her. 

"We talked," Yoona explained, "She was insecure and I needed to comfort her. I checked up on that apartment. It's true, her name was Tiffany and Sunny is her sister."

"And?"

"She died in that apartment four years ago."

"A ghost..." 

"I don't think it's a lie- what unnie said."

"I know, I know," Juhyun exhaled, "But... it's not just that."

Juhyun cradled her head with a sigh. Yoona wrapped her arm around her shoulder. 

"I think I know what you mean," Yoona shared a look with the distressed bob-haired lady. 

"I can't imagine..." Juhyun groaned, "Why are we having this conversation?"

"Let's just wait and see. Unnie knows what she is doing." 

"I hope so too," Juhyun gazed in the direction that Taeyeon left in the vehicle. 

"I really hope she knows what she is doing."