Realization

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

"You'd better give me a reason why you suddenly appeared at my doorstep last night."

Juhyun nudged her and Taeyeon roused from her sleep with a sigh.

"Did you see a ghost?" Juhyun questioned teasingly and Taeyeon wanted to laugh at the irony of the situation.

"No," Taeyeon replied nonchalantly, stifling a yawn behind her palm.

"As usual," Juhyun shrugged, "The cool, cold and mysterious Kim Taeyeon."

"Hey, Juhyun," Taeyeon scratched her neck in awkwardness, "Do you think I can stay here tonight too?"

"Why?" Juhyun asked with a glint of curiosity in her eyes, "Did you really see a ghost?"

"You see," Taeyeon cleared , "I saw this really huge spider and uhm-"

"That is a lousy excuse, Kim Taeyeon." Juhyun deadpanned. She dug into her wallet and pulled out two green notes. "Come on, I need to get to work."

Taeyeon found herself standing in her nightwear outside Juhyun's apartment. She waved goodbye to her friend before getting into a taxi reluctantly. 

"Alright," she mumbled. "I just need to grab my laptop, my phone, my bag and get to work. Okay, let's do this."

Taeyeon paid the driver and hesitated outside her doorstep. She stood there, pressing her ears against the wooden door listening for any signs of activity in the apartment. There was a faint hum of melody resounding from deep within. Taeyeon tip-toed to the backyard where the blinds were not down. 

There, through the glass, she saw the brunette dancing to a song from the radio that Taeyeon had forgotten to switch off last night. Taeyeon cracked a smile at the uncoordinated movements. She wiped the smile off her face as soon as it came, a wave of unhappiness bubbling at the pit of her stomach. 

Taeyeon was having a hard time thanks to her but she is having fun in the apartment? Dancing to music? What is she, a human? Taeyeon sighed and about to leave when she caught the ghost looking in her direction. She gasped and hurried away.

"Laptop, phone, bag. Yes," Taeyeon chanted as she pushed her apartment door open. It was silent and Taeyeon didn't see her anywhere in sight. Recalling that she had to rush to work, Taeyeon scurried around and grabbed all the items she needed. Taeyeon remembered about the lunch she prepared for work and jogged lightly to the kitchen. There she hid, in the fridge and Taeyeon heaved a sigh as she took out the lunch box.

"Sorry," The brunette meekly said and floated out, choosing a new place to make herself unseen.

Taeyeon was used to it. Her indifference made spirits trembled at her feet. Taeyeon dislikes people but spirits; lonely ghosts who relied on her because she could see them- ghosts are the ones that Taeyeon truly wished to avoid.

Taeyeon bagged her lunchbox and grabbed the keys laying on the counter. 

"Wait!" There was a loud wail and Taeyeon gaped at the brunette who once again, blocked her path with outstretched arms.

"Wait, I just... I just want to apologize," she rambled, "I know you can see me but I don't know why you are pretending that you can't."

"I haven't seen anyone for four years. And suddenly you are here and you are really pretty, I just..." Taeyeon blushed, recalling how she woke up to see the ghost hovering above her before planting a kiss on her forehead. She diverted her attention to the phone in her hand, pretending to be waiting for a call.

"It just felt so unfair. There are so many things you could do like read, eat and I just want to do all that too." Taeyeon bit her lip and walked through the brunette as she in a breath. 

"Wait, I'm sorry, don't go! I'll repent! I won't do that again!" Taeyeon stopped as she laid her hand on the doorknob.

"Don't leave because of me. I'll make myself scarce when you're here so it won't be uncomfortable. Please," the brunette plead, hovering before Taeyeon again.

"Please don't go. I don't want to cause anyone inconvenience, even after death."

Taeyeon took a step back and sighed, finally locking gaze with the ghost.

"I have to go to work," Taeyeon said.

"Move aside, please. We can talk when I am back from work." Taeyeon sighed at the relief yet unsure expression on the brunette's face.

"I promise."