Wishes

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

"Is there anything that you want to do?"

"What do you mean?" Tiffany tossed over to face Taeyeon with a smile on her face. She reached out to brushed her hand against the rosy cheek. Taeyeon closed her eyes and exhaled slowly. 

"I don't know. Movies?"

"That's random," Tiffany giggled when Taeyeon scrunched her nose playfully. 

"I just want to spend more time with you." Taeyeon lifted her hands and Tiffany slipped her fingers to interlace them with Taeyeon. Taeyeon wondered how it would be like to hold Tiffany in her arms- to feel Tiffany's breath against her skin, to have Tiffany's hand in hers, to have her arms wrapped around the slender waist and to have Tiffany welcomed her home with a cup of warm tea. Taeyeon knew it she was becoming greedy- it was blissful to have someone in her life she is comfortable with but Taeyeon knew it is only human to want more. Taeyeon wondered if Tiffany thought the same when she saw her fingers clenched a little around hers and clasped between hers with a sense of possessiveness.

"Taeyeon?' Tiffany whispered, eyes warm and bright, "Let's write some our wishes and things we could do and paste them on the wall. With the photographs like a collage."

"I have a few," Taeyeon jutted her lips in thought, "How many are we looking at?"

"Two? Since it's the weekend, we can try to accomplish them today and tomorrow."

Taeyeon grinned and wriggled out of bed to her desk to get some writing materials. Tiffany flexed her fingers with a rueful smile. Taeyeon was a miracle that shined in her lonesome life- she had reached out to Taeyeon carefully with a small breath of life but Tiffany knew she was becoming greedy. She used to be content with watching over her- it was silly but she was jealous knowing how the towel wrapped itself around Taeyeon, how the bedsheets caressed her warmth and the cup that is enveloped in the softness of her lips. Her heart fluttered in her chest at the way Taeyeon plodded across the room, her humming above the silence of the breezy autumn weather and the way her fingers are perfectly fitted between hers. She is selfish, but Tiffany knew there was only so much time left for her to crave Taeyeon's existence. 

"I have written mine," Taeyeon had a playful smirk on her face, "Now tell me yours."

"Tell me yours first."

"Too bad, Miyoung," Taeyeon said smugly, "The paper is in my hands."

Tiffany pouted to hide the regrets that surfaced again. Here she is, enslaved to the confines of her home. Is it greedy of her to think of amusement parks, movies and cafe dates? What are they now? Are they considered a couple? Or is this Tiffany's wistful thinking and selfishness to name this relationship that they had established?

"Your face," Taeyeon's voice broke her out of her reverie, "It's stiff again."

Tiffany chuckled, hiding her thoughts and sadness in her eyes.

"A blanket fort," Tiffany decided this is more appropriate than the other things she had in mind. Afterall, Tiffany couldn't fulfill any when she is a ghost without a sense of touch, "and my mother's shepherd's pie."

"Shepherd's pie?" Taeyeon was clueless about the turmoil in Tiffany's head, "I can't cook."

Tiffany only laughed at Taeyeon's naivety and leaned forward to place a kiss on her cheek. She didn't miss the look of surprise on Taeyeon's face; wishing she could feel the softness of Taeyeon's skin and rosy lips on hers instead. 

"I'll guide you. I have the recipe in my head." She held out her hand while Taeyeon took shyly. She diverted her gaze and ignored how Taeyeon's fingers slipped through her palm, "Let's go."

With a game of scissors, paper and stone, Taeyeon started the eventful weekend with her list. Tiffany stared at Taeyeon's list and her ghostly face couldn't get paler. Taeyeon patted the cushion on the couch and plopped down comfortably. A shrilling scream cut the silence of the quiet hall.

"M-movie? Horror?"

“Annabelle." Taeyeon held the remote control in her hand, "I heard this was a very popular movie.”

B-b-but.... Horror?

“You’re not scared, aren’t you?” Taeyeon’s eyebrows vanished behind her fringe in amusement. 

Of course not!” Taeyeon bit back a giggle at the loud exclamation and flustered expression on Tiffany's face. 

“Sit back and relax then.” A forced agreement was the last proper phrase Taeyeon heard from Tiffany for the next two hours. Amidst screams, sharp gasps and whimpers of “Oh my god”, Taeyeon stole glances at Tiffany. There was an ear-splitting grin on Taeyeon face when the movie finally ended- Tiffany exhaled in relief and peeked at the rolling credits from behind her palms. She didn’t miss the pout on the face, nor the displeasure she swallowed and Taeyeon think that Tiffany is endearing. 

Now,” Tiffany said with a slight tremble in her voice, “We are done. Strike that off.

“You were scared, weren’t you?” Taeyeon teased.

I know I’m a ghost but can’t I be scared?” Tiffany retorted. Taeyeon saw that flicker in Tiffany’s eyes. Tiffany laughed it off and Taeyeon counted the seconds in her head. It seems to be easier for Tiffany to admit her death recently- seemingly more relaxed and acceptive. She strikes it off anyway and pulled out some old blankets she found from the storeroom. She stacked some chairs, stabled some poles and draped the cloth over the couch and left a small opening. It was an unpleasant sight of colors and stench of mothballs but Taeyeon crawled in after Tiffany anyway. 

It’s a bit dark in here, isn’t it?

“It smells,” Taeyeon said thickly through a pinched nose. Tiffany giggled and Taeyeon could see the smile on her face despite the darkness. She fiddled with the torch application in her phone and it lit up the confined space immediately. 

Think we can leave it like this?

“Guess so. It will hold. Wanna sleep here tonight?”

Tiffany had a smile as blinding as the sun. Taeyeon took that as a yes. They strike it off Tiffany's list, with Tiffany proudly announcing that Taeyeon should have shepherd's pie for dinner. Taeyeon was amazed how Tiffany could remember the recipe in detail- right down to the weight and Tiffany’s insistence of using Yukon potatoes. With a list in her hand, Taeyeon set off to the nearest supermarket (Tiffany’s voice was ringing in her head about the potatoes and that was the first thing she had in her cart). Taeyeon was barely able to haul the bags in and out of her car boot and into the apartment. It was the first time seeing such a serious expression on Tiffany's face that Taeyeon swallowed nervously when Tiffany hovered over the ingredients and scrutinized them.

Taeyeon came to the conclusion that she has done five years worth of cooking that afternoon. In a perspiration-drenched shirt sticking to her back, Taeyeon wiped her forehead when the shepherd's pies were finally in the oven. 

"Sorry," Tiffany said sheepishly when Taeyeon's legs gave way on the kitchen floor, "I didn't know that recipe was meant for twelve people..."

"It's fine," Taeyeon was more alarmed at the amount of the preparation- the dicing of tears-inducing onions, sauté the ingredients differently, marinating the minced beef, mashing the potatoes and uses of spices that Taeyeon had never heard of, "I can share some with Juhyun and Yoona. Do you think I can refrigerate the rest?"

"My mom usually freeze the extras so we heat it up whenever we want to have it."

"That's clever. I shall do that with the leftovers." Taeyeon was glad that there are leftovers for her fridge because Taeyeon was sure that she would love to have it sometime soon without the shadow of the backbreaking preparation. Tiffany was beaming with pride hearing Taeyeon's praise for the dish. The recipe was securely stuck on the fridge's door and snuggled under the fort, Tiffany stared at the serene Taeyeon who drifted off to a dreamland of chocolate chips cookies.

"Thank you, Taeyeon," Tiffany felt peace despite the tears streaming down her face, "Thank you. Thank you."