Your Voice is Poison to My Ears Part I

Red and Blue Mix

Your Voice is Poison to My Ears

           ~.~.~.~

"When I love a person, I'll love them with all my heart. Their flaws don't matter."

            She was standing solely at the edge of the shore; the soft, almond sand burying her bare feet under. She breathed in shakily, the smell of salt water swiftly filling her nostrils.

            Irene wearily looked afar off, as for as her blue eyes could see-and caught the glimpse of a cruise ship, bigger than what she’d seen before, white as snow, it’s front sharp and shining, it’s colors contrasting against the setting sun that would meet the Ocean any time soon. The clouds were turning into an orange painting, mixed with red, while the clouds turned purple.

            Irene listened to the Ocean’s voice, and she found herself gripping on her maroon, long gown, with the waist decorated by small ribbons. Her back was exposed and she shivered slightly as the Ocean’s breeze hit her.

It’s time. Sing!

            Immediately, as she heard the Ocean’s beckoning, she leaped off the beach and ran on top of the water, anxious with each step she took, knowing that the Ocean was getting hungrier by the minute.  She walked closer until she was only a few feet away from the cruise ship, wincing as she heard the loud blaring of instruments being played while some people danced outside of the rooms, one spotting Irene and gaping, pointing at her as he let go of his wine glass that fell into the Ocean’s depths.

            Irene knew that she was covered by the orange glow from the sun, her milky white skin feeling colder as the Ocean pushed her forward, Her waves splashing against the pointy rocks behind her.

            She opened and her blue eyes fluttered closed. Suddenly she felt a surge inside her, bubbling in her stomach and before she knew it, she had started singing. She opened her eyes and saw how her sultry voice and the alluring song had started captivating each and every passenger, their eyes turning glazy as if covered by a haze and they began to walk forward-towards the railings. The ship changed courses and headed to where Irene stood.

            Irene ignored the loud shriek that the ship had emitted. She ignored the loud splashing of her waters as people willingly fell to their deaths. She tried to ignore how her deadly voice had killed tens of thousands of people.

(Although they haunted Irene almost every day, in her dreams and even when she wakes.)

In a few more minutes, there would be silence and Irene will have the temporary peace she wanted.

Joohyun, I chose to let a person live.

            Irene recoiled in shock and surprise. Go, take her before she dies. Quickly, Irene ran towards the sinking ship, Her waters ravaging it and pushing it down under Her and she caught sight of a woman, her arms flailing around as she tried to not sink with everyone else or get crushed under the weight of the falling ship.

            She caught Irene’s eyes, and she screamed, gasping for air. “H-Help! Help me, please!” Irene quickly snapped out of it and reached out to take the woman’s hands, pulling her out of the Ocean’s hold. The woman gasped, before her eyes rolled back in her head, fainting in Irene’s arms.

Irene almost lost her footing, but she closes her eyes and took a deep breath, as She took them under Her.

~.~.~.~

          “Why did you let her live?” Irene carefully laid the woman on the underwater sand, a bubble of air surrounding the two.

She cried out. She wants to live.

“That’s unlike You.” Irene bit her lower lip, a sigh escaping out of her lips as Her waters encircled around them, as if trying to embrace Irene.

She said she wants to live, Joohyun. It was enough. Just like you.

          “Why? Why now, after ten years of letting me roam all on my own?” Irene choked out. It was just like the unconscious woman; the Ocean had taken everything from her and chose to let her live. Irene had to serve Her for a hundred years, in exchange.

Yes, Irene was a Siren. The woman with a deadly voice. The woman favored by the Ocean.

I never wanted you to be alone, Joohyun. You know I love you. And I cannot bear seeing you lonely. You know it hurts me seeing My child lonely.

Irene chose to stay mum. When you become a servant of the Ocean, there were many rules to follow. One, obey every command She orders you to do. Two, every now and then, you have to sing and feed Her. With humans. (Irene was human, once.) Three, disobey, and she will kill you.

Do you think it doesn’t pain Me to kill?

I have to survive, you know that Joohyun.

“I know.”

          Irene studied the woman’s face. She was an Asian, just like her. Her eyes were shut tightly, behind long eyelashes. (But she had none underneath her eyes. Unusual.) She was steadily breathing, her thin, chapped lips opened slightly. “Do you know her name?”

Of course I know, Joohyun. But it would be better if she tells you herself. I want you two to get along.

          Irene scoffed. “Alright.” She’s waking up. True to Her words, the woman’s eyes fluttered open and she gasped, clawing at the air, before sitting, a bloodcurdling scream leaving her lips. Irene winced and she backed away slightly, fear almost taking over. “Where am I?!” The woman coughed out, before her eyes met Irene’s and she whimpered.

“You-You were standing on water…I-You saved me…” Irene could see the fear in her eyes, and shame suddenly filled her insides. Irene smiled weakly at her next words. “But-But you were the one who murdered them in the first place!” She pointed an accusing finger and Irene’s ears rang.

‘You murdered them. You killed them. It’s because of you.’

          Irene held in the remorseful feelings inside her. “You’re safe now…” She said softly. The woman’s lips quivered and glistening tears dripped down her already pale face. “Why? Why only me? What about my family?”

‘You’ll forget them soon. And so will you forget everyone else you’ve met until now.’

          “I couldn’t save them.” Irene’s eyes went blank. No wives and no mothers. Only their young girls. Wives have attachments to their husbands, I can’t take them. It would be too cruel of Me to take Mothers away from their children. The Ocean answered, but only Irene could hear. “I’m sorry.” Irene answered emotionlessly. She couldn’t relate or feel empathy for the stranger because she had long forgotten the connection she had with her family.

All she knew was that she had a mother, a father, and a younger sister. (Who the Ocean didn’t choose.)

“You’re safe. You’re not dead, but you aren’t alive either.” Irene pressed on, seeing the confusion on the woman’s face. “The Ocean is my mother. And if you agree, She will also be yours. She saved you because you wanted to continue living, and she can give you that wish.”

          The woman frowned, her body still shivering and still refused to get near Irene. Her brown eyes wearily examined Irene’s face, trying to see if she was lying. It was unbelievable; but after she saw what Irene could do, she thought otherwise. “But what about my family?” She demanded. She can’t bear it-to live knowing that her family died.

“It’s your choice now. You can join me, or you can join your family.”

Join them. Not save them.

          She let out another whimper before hugging her knees tightly. Irene’s eyes softened and she crawled towards the girl who relaxed slightly in her presence. “It’s hard, I know. I’ve been there. But I could be your family. I’ll help you live. The Ocean will take care of you. I will love you more and I will always be there for you.”

          The woman seemed to consider this, although her tears didn’t stop dripping down her face and flowed down to the underwater sand, disappearing as it joined Her waters. She stared at Irene who had the look, ‘I’ve had enough people dying today.’
“W-What would I do in exchange?”

Irene’s face darkened and a grimace replaced her inviting gaze.

“You will have to serve the Ocean. But only for a hundred years. If you follow Her, and does everything she asks, you will be able to live with freedom after those hundred years are over.”

          Irene tucked a wet strand of hair behind the woman’s ear as she stared at Irene calmly, her body stopped shaking. “Do you promise?” She asked when Irene was done. Irene nodded solemnly, her hands resting on her lap.

The woman took a deep breath. “What’s your name?”

“Joohyun. But I call myself Irene.”

The woman took another shaky breath before staring at the sand that danced underneath them.

“Okay, Irene. I accept.”

Relief filled Irene’s demeanor and a smile broke through her lips. “Then…What is your name?”

The woman paused, closing her eyes as she started feeling drowsy.

“Seulgi. My name is Seulgi.”

Before she completely closed her eyes, she felt Irene holding her and she felt as if she had drank something warm and sweet, like honey and then she out, a soothing voice being the last thing she heard.

Welcome, My child. Rest in My embrace.

~.~.~.~.

Seventy Years Later

          Irene closed the book she was reading. Right now, she was sitting on her bed, inside a dimly lit room. In the corner of the room, were bookshelves filled with books from different times and a study desk besides it. She stared at the leather cover of the book in her lap, where she had placed every single name of the people she had killed since eighty years ago.

It was an unhealthy obsession, but Irene felt relief and complete whenever she finds the missing passengers and information about them. She felt a little closer to them, except for the fact that whenever she finds out anything about their lives, she only felt guilty knowing that they could never achieve their dreams, that they could never live the life they wanted.

Like how Jessica Jung could never be a fashion designer like she had always dreamed of.

Or how Jean Adams always wanted to be a traveler and see the whole world.

          “I’m sorry.” Irene would repeatedly tell them, staring at the pictures of them that she dug up, or how she made Seulgi sketch these dead people’s faces. “I’m sorry for living.” She would say.

          What if she became friends with those people? With Rachel Dare who wanted to become a painter in New York, or Ryan Falkner who took pride in being able to take care of birds and help every animal in the world? What if she knew them personally? What if Irene hadn’t taken their lives? Would they have achieved their dreams?

What if Irene just goes ahead and disobeys Her?

          “I’m sorry.” Irene was sorry for living. For wanting to live. She had stopped crying over such things, her eyes were dry and her heart felt hollow and empty. She was angry at her for feeling like that. She was the eldest of the Sirens right now. She must be the strong one; she mustn’t feel this way or everything will fall apart.

‘You have a reason to live. You have Joy and Seulgi. They need you.’

“Irene unnie?” The door creaked open and a tall girl with flaming red hair peeked in. Irene smiled gently at her. “Hi, Joy. What is it?” Joy entered, wearing a grey crop top that showed off her stomach, and jeans. Irene wrinkled her nose in distaste, giving Joy a disapproving look.

“I’m going to the bar. Do you want to come with?” Joy grinned, her pearly white teeth showing and glistening in the dark room. Irene tilted her head, brows raised. “No, I don’t, Joy. You know I hate bars and clubs.” Irene glanced at the alarm clock on the edge of her nightstand. It was only the afternoon.

Joy shrugged. “Suit yourself, me and Seulgi might not come home later.”

“What’s new?” Irene sighed. “You should stop dragging Seulgi into your mess, the poor soul.” She scolded. Joy scowled. “Poor soul my arse-” “Language, Joy!” “-Seulgi loves taking care of me!”

“That’s because she loves you.” Irene massaged her temples.

“Of course, everyone loves Park Joy~” Joy chirped in, a smug look on her face.

“Whatever. I’m going to the university nearby.”

          Joy looked at her in disgust. “With those clothes? Unnie, this is why Seulgi and I call you grandma!”

“What’s wrong with my clothes?!”

          Irene looked down, seeing her white, polo shirt tucked under a long, fading red skirt. (Irene just loved things from the fifties’ , okay?) “What’s wrong is that we already live in technologically-advance society with crop tops and tattered jeans and you’re wearing something my late grandma would!”

          Joy was younger than Irene by twenty-six years. “You don’t even remember your grandma, you snake.” Irene retorted. Joy shrugged. “Well, I definitely saw the old ladies in my hometown and that’s what they mostly wear. I can’t forget what I don’t want to forget, unnie.”

“Leave me alone.”

“And this is why you can’t get a lover.”

“We’re not allowed to have lovers, Joy.” Irene’s eye twitched. “Correction, Irene unnie. We are allowed to have lovers, but not fall in love with any of them.” Joy wiggled a finger.

Right.

          It was the Ocean’s fourth rule. No falling in love with anyone. You’re Mine. She used to tell Irene. But it was an easy rule to follow because Irene almost never goes out of the house and she never really found any person who made her heart pound. Joy spoke so loud that Irene had to double check their apartment, momentarily forgetting that their apartment was soundproof.

          As Sirens, it should be a well-known fact that their voices are poisonous; and the fifth rule of the Ocean is that they must not speak with any human because they will kill them if they even let out one word.

“See, you’re totally a grandma. You forget that our apartment is soundproof.”

“It’s because you almost sent a person to his death when you once forgot that you couldn’t talk!”

“But I didn’t! That’s what matters!” Joy argued.

Irene waved her hand. “Whatever, Joy. I’m still going no matter how much you hate my style.” Joy sighed hopelessly. “You seriously need to loosen up a bit. But never mind, I knew you’d say no to my invitation, and I’m glad you did because I remember that the only dance you know is the…jitterbug.” Joy shivered.

Irene made a face. “The jitterbug is a timeless dance! What’s wrong with it?”

“Everything. It’s hideous.” Joy muttered. “But we’re in Canada and it’s an open country so who cares?” Joy continued, sarcasm dripping from every word.

          Irene huffed. “I should have told Her not to bring you in if I knew you loved disrespecting me.” Joy pouted, trudging over Irene and took the short woman in her embrace. “Oh, c’mon, unnie! Your life would be boring without me. And She loves me too!” Joy nuzzled her head in Irene’s ebony locks.

          Irene sighed. “Just go. I’ll be leaving as well.”

~.~.~.~

          Spending alone time resting underneath the leaves of an oak tree that has it’s leaves shad you from the sunlight was Irene’s favorite pastime. Sometimes she would head over to the library and read a book and sit there until the library closes. Right now, she was heading over the school library, a single notebook did she hug to her chest, to note down the books she would want to finish next time if she can’t, now.

          She was in the history section when her brows furrowed, a pout finding it’s way to her lips. Irene had read almost all of the history books here, trying to find science’s ‘natural’ reasoning to the disappearing ships once in a while. One well-known explanation was the Bermuda Triangle and Irene had laughed at such reasoning.

She loved knowing what humans think about.

          Irene raised a brow when she pulled out a book about baking treats. Why was there a cook book in the history section?

“Perhaps you are learning how to bake historical treats, Miss?” She twirled around in surprise when a feminine voice spoke. She pursed her lips when she came face-to-face with a smiling woman, her eyebrows wiggling and looking silly.

          Irene let her eyes wander and saw that the woman was pushing a cart that had stacks of books piled up. The woman was short, her hair brown from her roots but turned blonde at the end, her chocolate brown eyes twinkling with unhidden mirth, her plump, velvet lips curling into a beautiful smile.

Irene let out a sigh. She ignored the young woman, continuing with her work, hoping that she would get a clue that Irene didn’t want to entertain her. She was used to people approaching her because of her beauty, further enhanced by the Ocean’s magic. That’s why she’s in one of the most secluded place in the library, where she was sure she wouldn’t bother anyone.

 The woman peeked over her shoulder, once again startling her and Irene had barely kept her voice from coming out. She backed away.

“Are you taking history, Miss? Or a baker? I like baking. But I’m crappy at it.” She murmured and Irene shot her a look, raising her hands and started speaking in sign language. The woman was surprised.

“Oh. You can’t talk? Sorry. Must have bothered you.” The stranger scratched the nape of her neck, ears flushing in embarrassment. Irene shook her head and shot her a small, but tired smile.

          “So you aren’t a baker?” She asked, and Irene was amused by the oozing interest in the woman’s voice. Irene shook her head, but made an action that she adored baking. The girl seemed to understand.

Suddenly, she fiddled with her pockets, seemingly troubled. Irene tilted her head in confusion. The girl smiled sheepishly. “Sorry, I don’t know sign language and I was trying to find if I had a pen so you could at least tell or um, write your name on my wrist. Since I don’t have paper either.” She chewed on her lower lip.

          Irene quirked a brow before smiling kindly at her. She raised her notebook and pointed to it, opening it to a random page, taking out her pen as well.

What’s your name, first?

            She showed it to Wendy and the latter clasped her hands together. “Oh, right! Forgive me.” She puffed out her chest with pride, before pointing to herself and stretching out her arm. “My name is Wendy. I’m from Korea but I moved here when I was in fifth grade.” Irene nodded in acknowledgment before taking Wendy’s hands shyly in hers. Wendy grinned. “Now may I know your name, Miss? So I know who to call whenever I need baking lessons?”

            Irene rolled her eyes before pulling out her pen again, letting it hover over the paper. She frowned, mentally thinking. What would she write? The name Joy and Seulgi created for her driver’s license? Or the name she used for business? Maybe the name she placed in her passport? She had a hundred of names to choose from.

But surprisingly, she chose to tell Wendy the truth.

Joohyun. I was also from Korea but migrated here.

Yeah, well, Irene was telling the truth. But she moved out of Korea forty years ago.

            “Joohyun?” Wendy murmured for a moment, her hand tapping against the notebook page. She looked up and met Irene’s blue eyes. “It’s unusual to find a Korean with blue eyes.” Irene suddenly avoided her gaze. She, Joy and Seulgi all had blue eyes; it was a reminder that they were the Ocean’s Sirens.

            “Well, nice to meet you, Joohyun. But I have a class to catch in a few minutes.” Wendy checked her wristwatch. She smiled apologetically to Irene. “I’m sorry. I have to go now. I wish I could talk with you more.” Wendy waved before quickly dashing out of the library, the cart forgotten.

Irene blinked, a sincere smile forming on her lips.

            She went home with the same smile on her lips, confusing Seulgi and Joy immensely. “What’s wrong with unnie?” Joy whispered. Seulgi only shrugged. “Probably found a new hobby other than ironing.”

“Oh, how wonderful if she did.”

            Irene didn’t let it bother her. What made her smile was because that girl-Wendy, didn’t even look at her with the ferocious and lustful eyes that she had gotten used to. She didn’t even check her out and continued talking as if Irene’s beauty was just a normal thing you’d see every day.

(Irene was offended, only a little.)

She started humming while she prepared food for the three of them. No, they don’t really have to eat and sleep, but it made Irene feel normal. She could feel Joy and Seulgi running towards the kitchen.

“She’s singing!” Joy said, horrified and Irene could imagine that she also looked the way she sounded.

“Why is she singing?!” She could hear a small yelp and concluded that Joy must have been shaking Seulgi.

“It’s not wrong to sing.” Irene turned to them, a brow raised. Joy stopped before looking at her accusingly. “You don’t like singing!”

“I just happened to like it now.” Irene pursed her lips. “Am I not allowed to?”

“You’re definitely allowed. Joy, stop bothering her.” Seulgi smacked the giant.

“Thank you, Seulgi.”

            Irene forgot to mention that they lived in an apartment near the beach, so when She calls them, they can immediately dive into the water. She decided to make some seaweed soup today, and asked her two ‘sisters’ if they wanted.

“Human food…Well, I guess I can have a bite.” Joy muttered, taking in the green bowl that Irene had already prepared. She gave an orange one to Seulgi. Irene liked colors; they remind her that life isn’t dull and it is beautiful.

            Irene let out a satisfied sigh. She stood up and did the dishes, seeing as Joy and Seulgi were busily chatting away. When she was finished she waved to them. “Well, I’ll be sleeping now.”

Joy gave her another look. “Unnie, you don’t really sleep. What about accompanying me and Seul to that bar I told you about?”

“I thought you went there earlier?”

“Nope. Seulgi said you needed to let loose a bit so you have to come.”

“I did?” Seulgi looked puzzled. Joy nudged her, clicking her tongue. “Yes, you stupid bear.”

Seulgi blinked before smiling and nodding adorably, making Irene coo. “I did!”

            “How funny, Joy.” Irene glared at her before smiling at Seulgi. “You two know how crucial it is that we keep our voices to ourselves. What if an accident happens and one of us slips out a word? That could get all of the humans in the bar killed.” Irene emphasized.

“Stop being a party-pooper. How many times have I gone out and came back unscathed? Unnie, if you were to make a mistake, She would likely pardon you because we all know you’re her favorite.” Joy frowned.

“It’s just for one night, Irene unnie. You’re the most careful out of the three of us, don’t worry about making a mistake.” Seulgi stood up, rubbing Irene’s back with her hand.

Irene looked hopelessly at her sisters’ faces.

She sighed.

“Fine.”

~.~.~.~

            “Joy, I am not wearing that.” Irene backed away from Joy’s room. The younger had ran to her closet in glee upon hearing Irene’s answer. “Unnie, you can’t wear library clothes to a bar! You have to at least look decent!”

“I think your mind is backwards, Joy. My clothes are decent!”

“Shut up and just wear this, unnie.” Joy raised a black top that would barely hide Irene’s tummy, and short shorts that would barely cover anything. Irene was a conservative person. This goes against everything she is.

“Wear it.” Joy shoved the clothes into Irene’s hands and left, her flaming red hair bouncing behind her. Seulgi shot her an apologetic look. “Don’t worry, Irene unnie. You won’t be alone.” She smiled, her eyes disappearing into crescents, dimples present on her cheeks.

Irene always loved that about Seulgi.

            The first few days she had been with Irene, she had bawled her eyes out and wandered on the shores of the beach near Florida, blankly staring at the Ocean but Irene knew she must have questioned Her a lot.

It was so refreshing to see the woman smiling so easily now.

“If you say so…” Irene said, her worries not decreasing.

            When she had stepped out of her room hesitantly, trying to cover her legs with a rugged, leather jacket that she loved very much, Joy had pushed it out of the way and whistled. “Wow, Unnie. Just wow. You’re so beautiful that I would pounce on you right now.” Joy her lower lip, amused to see Irene’s face turning beet red, hiding it with her leather jacket.

“But don’t worry, you’re like a real sister for me so, ew. No. Gross.”

            “T-Thanks, Joy.” Irene bit her lower lip, catching Joy gaping at her and turning away, mumbling incoherent words except Irene caught the, “This woman is unreal.” She turned to Seulgi who stood stiff and still and silent since she came out of her room. “Seul?” Irene called out, approaching the girl. Seulgi snapped out of it and a blush formed on her cheeks. She looked down.

“S-Sorry, Irene unnie. You just look really, really pretty…”

“That’s kind of you, Seul.” Irene smiled gently.

 

            The moment they entered the bar and Irene felt eyes gazing at her hungrily, she wanted to turn back on her heels and run towards the Ocean where she knows she’ll feel safe. Irene shivered as guys shamefully checked her out and she gritted her teeth, the desire of killing these filthy humans getting stronger. Seulgi pat her back comfortingly before dragging her to a table near the counter. Joy had run off to the dance floor.

She turned to Seulgi with a grimace. ‘Now I’m sure this isn’t the place for me.’ She signed.

‘Just try to enjoy yourself, Irene unnie.’ Seulgi signed back and Irene nodded reluctantly. They typed in their orders and later on, Irene had drunk four bottles of alcohol. Fortunately, she was unable to get tipsy, although her flushed cheeks told her that she mentally had enough.

            Seulgi had walked to the dance floor, catching eyes as she danced so sensually she made Irene feel like a proud mother. A few minutes after, Joy pulled her to the dance floor and Irene finally felt like having fun, dancing to her heart’s content. That until some guys had eagerly jumped on the dance floor and crowded around the girls, trying to grind their bodies against theirs. Out of disgust, Irene decided to go back to their desk, Seulgi shuffling behind her.

‘I’m going on ahead.’ Irene signed, her eyes showing how exhausted she was. Seulgi smiled apologetically to her. ‘Go. I’ll take care of Joy.’

            But instead of going back to their apartment, Irene found herself in front of the waters once again. She let out a satisfied sigh as the sea breeze hit her softly, her ebony hair flying behind her. The deep, blue waters enveloped her feet and Irene knew that the Ocean had missed her. She stretched her limbs before walking into the waters, her eyes glancing above her, seeing the stars so visible and the sky so clear. In a few seconds, she closed her eyes, before delving into the deep blue.

Hi, Joohyun.

            Irene smiled before relaxing into Her embrace, the sand underneath her becoming her bed, her ebony locks flowing with the water, her human clothes discarding and replaced with a beige, short, prom-like dress, created by Yours Truly. “Hello.” Irene answered.

You’ve been to a bar.

“I have. Joy invited me.” Irene sighed. The Ocean was able to read her mind, well, go figure, since she had once let Irene drunk a ‘part’ of Her albeit black and murky.

That’s unusual of you. What’s the occasion?

“I just felt like knowing the reason why Joy kept on going there. But I definitely haven’t found any reason to like it yet.” Irene chuckled. Around her, bubbles started forming and it was probably the closest thing to a human laughter.

Did you enjoy yourself?

            Irene lied back down on the sandy waters. “A bit. But some teenage boys ruined it.”

Why don’t you get a one-time lover? Joy does it all the time.

            Irene scoffed at that. “I don’t like those kinds of things. We’re all different.” She reasoned out, closing her eyes. Are you going to sleep? You know you don’t need it.

Irene smiled gently. “I just want to…It makes me feel human again.”

But you are human, Joohyun. But doesn’t it bother you? I know you’ve been dreaming of the passengers again…

            Irene closed her eyes, flashes of the faces she vaguely knew in her mind and she shook it off. I’m sorry for making you do this. Irene felt the water weighing her down and she knew that She was grieving.

“It’s okay.”

‘I have twenty more years of service. It’s not much.’

You know I love you Joohyun. I’d be sad for you to go.

“It’s still a few more years. You’ll get to spend more time with me. And I love You too.” Irene reassured, before closing her eyes.

Thank you for your service, Joohyun. Sleep now, I’ll be here to protect you.

~.~.~.~

            Irene woke up, gasping for air.

            She had dreamed of an old man’s ashen face and stormy, brown eyes, the light fading from them. Connie Gardner. He had looked at her with remorse and disgust.

Joohyun! I’m here! You’re awake, you’re alright!

            Irene looked around her with panic. Last night, she had wanted to rest in Her embrace, but right now, seeing the dark starry night lighting up into a pink sky, Irene wanted to get away from Her as far as possible.

She must’ve read Irene’s thoughts again.

Go now. Your sisters are looking for you.

            Irene nodded, turning a blind eye to the Ocean’s pained voice. She brought Irene to the surface and quickly, Irene ran, forgetting that her prom dress had become dripping wet.

“You were with Her last night?” Joy raised a brow, when she saw Irene come in, clothes dripping onto their acre wooden floor. Seulgi ran to get a towel before trying to dry Irene’s hair. “Yeah. Bad idea to sleep inside Her.” She grimaced and immediately, Joy knew that the older girl had another nightmare.

“Why don’t you go out today?”

“Yeah…Yeah, I’ll do just that.” Irene tried to hide the fact that she was shaking and trembling in fear.

~.~.~.~

            The girl with ebony locks and blue eyes decided to rest under the shade of her favorite oak tree, which was near the campus of the school she casually and often visits. Seulgi had let her borrow her sketchpad, and although Irene wasn’t an artist, she knew enough basics as Seulgi taught her over the years.

            She loved to sketch the people passing by; enjoying their lives as they go on, laughing and playing games with each other.

“I thought you were a baker, but now I think you’re an artist.”

            Irene covered , preventing a whimper from coming out and she stared above her, a familiar face beaming down at her. She had shaded Irene from the strong sunrays but now Wendy looked like an angel, as the light behind her enveloped her and made her smile shine more than it should. (Or maybe it did shine brighter than the sun.)

“Hi, Joohyun.” Wendy grinned.

            Irene pouted before waving at the girl. “Can I join you? It’s my lunch break.” Wendy looked at her nervously, fidgeting. Irene nodded, patting the spot besides her. Wendy plopped herself down and let out a relaxing sigh. “This is nice. Sometimes I need sunlight to function properly. Don’t you?” Irene thought for a moment before grinning.

            Wendy blinked before staying silent, staring at Irene in deep thought. Irene turned the sketchpad to another page, writing, What’s wrong?

            This seemed to bring Wendy back to her senses and she awkwardly let out a laugh. “Oh, nothing’s wrong. It’s just, I only noticed now…How beautiful you actually are.” Wendy continued smiling, her eyes finding joy at Irene who slowly flushed and Irene raised the sketchpad to smack Wendy’s head.

“Ow! You can be violent too!”

            Irene huffed before crossing her arms, her face still red. Wendy laughed and Irene felt like her heart had done a somersault and butterflies started dancing in her stomach. Her laughed sounded so carefree, deep and drew Irene in, sweet and sincerity laced with the younger girl’s voice.

Your laugh is cute.

       Wendy chortled. “Really? Other people find it annoying, not endearing. Anyway, do you usually spend your time out here, creepily sketching out every person that passes by?” Irene grinned, it was indeed creepy.

Only the clothes! I don’t draw the people!

            The girl with ombre hair only raised a brow at that, unconvinced. Irene pouted. “Okay, stop. Stop looking adorable. That’s too much.” Wendy gagged and Irene only pouted more. Wendy avoided her gaze before changing topics, something she was always good at.

“I can’t draw to save my life. I also can’t bake. I’m also undecided with what degree I’m taking. Right now I’m just taking up Engineering. But I don’t really know what I want.” Irene didn’t know why Wendy was sharing, but it made her feel at ease that the younger girl continued to converse with her even though she couldn’t speak. She turned to look at Irene with honest and pleading eyes.

“I don’t know why, but what do you think I should be? I think you would know.”

            Irene blinked. Wendy, who she met just yesterday, wanted a complete stranger to decide for her. “You seem like you like to observe people. What do you see? What am I going to be, ten years from now?” Irene thought for a moment, looking back into Wendy’s chocolate brown eyes with all seriousness.

            She could be a teacher. She could also be a very active social worker judging from the vibe she gave Irene. But what she wrote down was different from her thoughts. She showed Wendy who recoiled back in surprise. “A musician? You mean sing and play instruments?”

Irene nodded, her eyes boring into Wendy’s.

“I…I do love singing. But I never really thought of it as a profession.” Wendy admitted bashfully.

‘You’d be great at it. Just hearing your voice makes me want to keep you talking.’ Irene thought. She gestured that Wendy would be good. Wendy smiled thankfully. “Thanks. I’ll think about it. By the way, I’m very good at dancing!” She proudly stated. Irene raised a brow.

“My mom likes to dance. She taught me the jitterbug when I was young. I’m sure I could beat anyone who claims they can dance it.” She smirked. Irene widened her eyes before standing up, jumping excitedly.

“You can dance it?” Wendy guessed. Irene nodded before reaching out, demanding Wendy to take her hand. “Are you serious? I’m really good at it.” Wendy gave a mischievous smile. Irene puffed out her cheeks before pointing at herself.

“You’re challenging me? Fine then!” Wendy eagerly took Irene’s hands and they danced underneath the oak tree, their feet synchronizing as Irene mentally counted. Five, six, seven, eight. Some students pointed at them and laughed.

(But it wasn’t because they looked silly; it was because they looked like they’re having fun with each other.)

“I can’t believe it…Someone’s better than me.”

            Wendy sighed dramatically before sliding back down on her , her back leaning against the tree trunk. Irene smiled victoriously before patting Wendy on the back. After a few minutes of comfortable silence, Wendy shuffled to her feet and stretched her arms. “So I was meaning to ask, can you teach me to bake a cake?”

Irene raised a brow. She knew how to bake but only a little, probably a beginner. Wendy looked at her with kind eyes. “You don’t have to. But if you want to, um…Do it this weekend, at my dorm room, you’re welcome to…”

Was she asking Irene out on a date?

            Irene was no stranger with girls liking other girls, and it wasn’t a problem, but she just met the quirky girl. Wendy saw her hesitation and she tried to hide her disappointment(failing miserably.) “It’s okay if you don’t want to. You can have my number and just give me a call, though.”

            Wendy seemed to have anticipated and planned everything because before Irene knew it, Wendy had placed a small piece of paper in Irene’s palms, before bolting, leaving the girl in silence once again.

Irene looked down.

Call me :D Let’s have that baking date sometime~

-Wendy

            When she came back to their apartment, Irene felt a bit better. She returned the sketchpad to Seulgi before sitting inside her room, now decorated with nightlights that Irene adored. They flashed red, blue and green, purple, orange, above Irene and she stared at them with puzzlement. Wendy was a peculiar puzzle. She approaches Irene fairly well and didn’t mind that she was ‘unable’ to talk. She realizes that she smiled at the thought of the cute girl.

Irene Bae is typing…

Irene: Wendy? It’s Joohyun. Let’s have that date.

            Thirty minutes later, Irene was startled by her phone buzzing.

Wendy: I have pans!

~.~.~.~

 

            Seulgi and Joy were not oblivious to Irene’s happy moods for the few days that passed. What really fazed them was during Saturday, where Irene was wearing a plain white tee and black, tight jeans. “Has Irene gone bonkers?” Joy choked on her orange juice.

“Why is she wearing jeans? Where’s her long skirt?” Joy continued babbling.

“Calm down, she must be going through a phase.” Seulgi explained.

“What phase are you on about? We don’t have periods, we don’t grow old, so what phase would she go through? She’s freaking older than us.” Joy eyed Irene who continually hummed in the kitchen. Yesterday, she had been sitting in front of the computer, Joy by her side. She persisted that Joy helped her because she was still struggling with modern technology.

And Irene was searching for cake recipes.

Cake.

What.

            Joy didn’t question her then, but right now, with Irene tying her black hair into a high ponytail(Damn, that’s y,) and a pretty smile on her face, Joy was unable to resist. “Where are you going?” She demanded, standing by the doorway.

            Irene looked nervous before swallowing. “I’m going out. I’m going to go buy groceries. Do you want me to get you something?” It didn’t erase the suspicious look Joy was giving her. “I’ll buy you guys your favorites, okay? I’ll be back later.” Irene assured her.

“Fine. Let’s talk about anything and everything when you come back, okay? We haven’t talked long enough these days.” Joy tried to hide the longing and relief in her voice, but Irene caught them all the same. She smiled gently at Joy. “Definitely.”

~.~.~.~

            When Irene arrived at Wendy’s dorm, she struggled to carry three grocery bags filled with ingredients. Although she was strong, stronger than normal human beings, she hadn’t carried these much for twenty years.

“Joohyun!”

            She looked up to see Wendy running over to her, her eyes still twinkling like the night stars. “I was worried because you should have been here fifteen minutes ago. So I waited for you here.” They were at the first floor; Wendy’s dorm room was on the third. Irene smiled gleefully at her. Wendy frowned when she saw the large bags the older was holding.

“Hold on, let me get that for you.” Before Irene could protest and wave off, ‘I’m fine!’ Wendy had already taken ever bag she was holding and easily trudged forward. “C’mon, Joohyun, I’ve prepared everything we need!” Excitement bubbled in her voice.

.

            While they were working on the batter, (it was the only thing that Irene could let Wendy do,) Irene found a lot of things about Wendy. How she was originally from the province in South Korea, how she was twenty-four years old, how she loved Jessie J(Whom Irene had no idea existed,) and still now, she continued talking.

“So you have two other sisters?” Wendy chirped in. Irene nodded. “Do they have blue eyes like you do? That’s so cool!” Irene smiled, at first maybe it was. But as time goes by, her blue eyes reminded her of painful memories.

“Do you know Calais?”

            Irene shook her head. “It’s a port city in France. My parents live there, currently. I also lived there once. I love the ocean smell. It’s so vast and wide-I love going on a tour once in a while.” Irene’s eye twitched. ‘If you knew how many people the Ocean murdered, you wouldn’t love Her all that well. But if you spent so much time with Her, maybe you will like I would.’

“Maybe one day, I could take you there! You could meet my parents!”

            Irene didn’t know if Wendy was dense, because she had claimed taking Irene there like Irene was her girlfriend. Wendy saw Irene stop mixing in the whipped cream, and realization dawned on her face. “I-I mean that is if you want to! S-Sorry, I just assumed you’d want to go there with me…”

            Irene gave her a comforting smile. ‘I’d love to.’ She gestured. Wendy let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding. A few minutes later, they put the pan inside the oven before Wendy invited her over to her room. “Sorry, my roommate is kind of a messy one. But I promise you that my side of the room is cleaner!” Irene only nodded.

            The first thing Irene noticed about Wendy’s room was the set of pictures that decorated her walls. It must be her family. In one picture, Wendy stood in the middle of her parents. Wendy’s mother’s eyes smiled into crescents, her pale lips showing her pearly white teeth. She leaned closer to a man who held her tightly. His brown hair was turning white, wrinkles and bags under his eyes, his grip on his wife and Wendy strong and firm, but gentle at the same time. Below the pictures, Wendy’s name was plated in gold.

Son HyunWoo and Son Hankyo

Wendy Son Seungwan.

‘Seungwan.’ Irene thinks it would sound perfect when she speaks it.

            While she wandered around the room, Wendy had been observing her, a playful smile on her lips. “You really are beautiful.” She bluntly said, making Irene turn her way. She didn’t know if Irene wasn’t used to it because she blushes often, but she should be told that she was in fact, gorgeous and surreal. She raised a hand and waved it anxiously, probably saying, ‘No, No, No! I’m not! Stop!’

“Okay, okay.” Wendy laughed it off, before her phone buzzed in her pocket, signaling that the cake was ready. “The moment of truth! Let’s go taste that cake!” Wendy took Irene’s hand in hers before running off to the kitchen.

.

“This is delicious!” Wendy raised her arms in approval. “Joohyun, you’re so good! This is the best cake I’ve ever had!” Irene shied away from Wendy’s piercing gaze as she shook her head. ‘I’m not…You’re too flattering!’

“This deserves to be shared!”

            Once again, Wendy dragged her outside. “Who wants cake?!” Her loud voice echoed throughout the dorm, and soon, people started pouring out of their own rooms, curiously looking over what the commotion.  “Me!” People started chanting. “Okay, okay! Here! Joohyun made it!”

‘We did, actually.’ Irene wanted to correct her.

            She felt people patting her on the back, grateful smiles shot at her as they tasted the cake. Irene felt very happy at this moment, she felt so human.

But it won’t last long. Wendy will forget you sooner or later.

            This thought made her shoulders slump in disappointment. Right. Wendy would grow old and would forget her sooner or later. Nothing will last. At least, nothing good ever lasts in Irene’s favor. She had to let go eventually.

            While the people crowded around Wendy, Irene found this the perfect time to escape. She squeezed through the college students, leaving behind the woman who made her feel normal.

At least for one day.

 

.

            The moment Irene arrived at her apartment, she packed all her things that mattered, her clothes, the books she have, her diary, everything she needed and placed them in her luggage back. She has to move away from this town.

She has to move away from Wendy.

Or else She will kill her.

Or both of them.

            She left her luggage in the corner of the door before running towards the Ocean, diving into her embrace.

Joohyun, is something the matter?

“No, no…I just thought of moving away from here. I’m planning to move to New Orleans. Or Sweden. Which one’s better?” She pushed every thought of Wendy in the back of her mind, hoping that She wouldn’t detect it.

What’s with the sudden thought of moving, my dear?

“I want to go to some place quiet…the loud city noise is giving me a headache these days…I shouldn’t have suggested moving to a city. I loathed it.” Irene sighed in frustration.

Are you leaving your sisters behind?

“…I’m not sure. Would they want to come?” Irene hesitated. “I don’t want to take the lives they’ve made here. I want them to enjoy while they can.” She admitted.

I’m sure that wherever you plan to go, your sisters would follow you, Joohyun.

“How are You so sure?”

It’s because I love you. I love each one of you. I know your thoughts and the things you worry about. Joohyun, you are My eldest Siren. Joy and Seulgi looks up to you. They love you.

            Irene closed her eyes. “And I love them too.”

Rest, sweetheart. Tomorrow will be a better day.

“No…No. I have to go back.” Irene lifted herself on her feet, the Ocean silent as She heard Irene’s words. “I’ll probably drive towards a new place. If they come with me,” Irene pauses, eyes softening, “I’ll make sure to take care of them.”

You’ve always taken care of them, Joohyun. Thank you.

Irene smiled. “Besides You, I only have them.”

~.~.~.~

            Irene expected the demanding and look of betrayal on both Seulgi and Joy’s faces. They stared at her in shock and disappointment. “You’re leaving?” Seulgi’s eyes pleaded with Irene’s but the latter only looked down. “Why? What’s wrong with this city? This is the longest we’ve stayed here! It feels like it’ll be home.” Even though Joy was older than she looked, it didn’t change the fact that she had still retained some of her childish tone. Irene looked guilty (she remembered promising Joy that they would talk when she gets home) but she tried for a smile.

“I need a quieter place.” ‘Ang get away from here so I won’t be able to see her further.’ Wendy and Irene only met thrice but it felt like so much more; and Irene wanted to spend time with her but at the same time it scared her that she might endanger Wendy’s life. Joy looked close to tears and Seulgi only stayed silent, watching Irene with wary eyes.

“I’m so glad to have taken care of you guys. It’s your choice now…If you want to come with me or stay here. We could just meet up and sing when She asks us to.”

            Irene checked the time on her phone. Joy and Seulgi only looked confused and as if they were making a big decision, which actually is. “I’ll wait for you guys in the car. Thirty minutes. When it’s over…” Irene sighed. “We’ll see each other after a year when She gets hungry.”

            With that, she left through the door, carrying her luggage that felt heavier than it actually should be.

.

            “Seungwan…” Irene let the name roll out naturally out of her tongue, fire and mirth dancing in her eyes as she was finally able to say it out loud. “Such a pretty name.” She murmured to herself. As she sat in the driver’s seat of their reed Chevrolet; Irene thought of her life up until now.

There were only twenty years left.

And soon, Irene will be free.

            She’ll forget about killing people. She’ll forget about the sadness and burden she had carried for eighty years. Irene closes her eyes.

‘I’ll forget Joy and Seulgi.’

Who would take care of them when she’s gone?

Irene’s lips curled into a crook and unhappy smile.

She’ll forget that they ever existed.

            Irene gripped tightly on the steering wheel when her phone buzzed. Only five minutes left. No sign of Joy and Seulgi. But one message from someone Irene really wanted to talk to at the same time avoid.

Wendy: Hey, Joohyun, are you okay? You left…The cake was really delicious! But did I do something wrong? D:

            “No…No, it’s not you.” Irene wanted to explain. Instead she sighed. Two minutes left. She didn’t reply to the message and turned the keys, the engine of the car roaring to life.

That’s when Irene looked up, startled when she heard a double tap on her window.

Seulgi.

“Give us more time? I have more stuff than I thought.” Seulgi smiled cheekily, eyes comforting Irene and the latter almost believed that everything was okay. Irene gave her a grateful look. “And Joy?”

“You know she would never leave you alone.” Seulgi chuckled.

“Thank you.” Irene’s eyes watered, but she blinked them away. Seulgi examined her pale face before sighing. “You know how much I love you, Irene. You saved me.”

            In a few moments, Joy had sat in the front seat, a smile on her face as she looked into Irene’s eyes. “Where are we going?” Irene hummed. “We’ll decide on the way.”

.

            When they reached New Orleans after two days of no stops and sleep, Seulgi had already found an apartment online. It was a beach house. The owner did not question the three mute but beautiful girls holding cash in their hands and let them stay.

Joy and Seulgi ran inside, checking each and every part of the large house that even had a porch facing the Ocean. Irene had chosen the room with the biggest windows that showed the gigantic body of water. She plopped herself on her king-sized bed, trying to drift to sleep.

“How long are we going to stay here?” She heard Joy question. Irene opened one eye. “Not long, probably. But it’s serene and peaceful here so maybe long. I don’t know.”

.

Joohyun, where are you now?

            Even though She knew each and every thought of Irene except for the things she hides, She often asks Irene directly; something Irene taught her thirty years ago. ‘It’s rude to keep reading people’s thoughts without consent.’ She was definitely surprised that the Ocean listened to her and didn’t kill her on the spot.

“New Orleans. Very unfamiliar place.” Irene answered as she looked out the window, seeing the sun setting once again.

Do you like it?

“It’s peaceful. It’s okay, I guess.”

And you? Are you okay, Joohyun? Have you been dreaming again?

“You should already know the answer to that.” Irene mumbled.

I’m sorry.

“It’s okay.” No, it’s not.

I’m really sorry, My child.

.

            It was a few days after they’ve adapted when the Ocean suddenly roared and waves crashed hard against the rocks by the beach when Irene was awoken by a cry from Her. She got up, sweat forming on her face. Joohyun, GET UP.

“What is it?!”

You have a new sister. Quickly! Get up!

            Irene didn’t bother brushing her unkempt black hair as she bolted out of the beach house, later joined by Joy and Seulgi who came from the other end of the beach, clad in bikinis. Without warning, Irene jumped into the water, followed by Joy and Seulgi who looked alarmed.

            The waves hovered above their heads and splashed, suddenly pushing them forward at full speed under the water. “Where are we going?” Irene squinted her eyes but saw nothing but deep blue.

England.

“England? Fancy place.” Irene could hear the bubbly voice of Joy breaking through the ringing that stayed in Irene’s ears.

            They knew they arrived when suddenly the Ocean shot them forward, almost sending them flying, Irene screaming in horror but Joy screaming in glee and laughter. They dived back into the water, this time near a long, wooden and worn-out bridge. When Irene opened her eyes, it widened in terror.

There was a girl with blonde hair, struggling as she sank into the water. Her arms were tied with a thick rope while her leg was chained onto a large, heavy-looking cabinet. She muffled a scream as she slowly lost air, locking eyes with Irene.

            Quickly, the three went to work, Joy trying to untie the blonde’s bounded hands while Irene and Seulgi tried to break the chain with her strength and a rock. Quickly, she’s going to die!

“Shut up for a moment! We’re doing our best!” Irene gritted her teeth at the unhelpful Ocean.

            She took a pin out of her hair, made of sea foam and whatever magic She created before trying to unlock the handcuff on the little girl’s leg. Bubbles came out of the blonde’s mouth, and soon she fell unconscious. Joy tried to lift her up, trying to keep her from sinking lower but at this rate, she would have to lose one leg.

Click!

“Yes!”

            Seulgi broke the chain and kicked the cabinet away, gesturing Irene to take the chain off after they got out first. The blonde was going to die if she stayed underwater any longer. They sneaked inside a lone fishing boat hidden by the larger ships surrounding them. Seulgi pumped the blonde’s chest before giving her CPR. “She’s so young…” Joy muttered.

“More reasons why she shouldn’t die.”

            Irene was still in shock; her eyes trailing onto the girl’s arms. She looked nineteen at most, three years younger than Joy in human age. The girl had black and blue bruises covering her arms, her yellow blouse torn and cut open and anger bubbled inside Irene. It was obvious that this girl was abused.

Stay calm, Joohyun. Even if you knew what happened to her, taking revenge is not allowed.

“Then how can we give her justice?” Irene glared at the Ocean, imagining that She was staring back at her firmly, eyes probably telling her, NO.

She’s waking up.

            Quickly, she turned her eyes back to the young girl who coughed out water, gasping as she tried to open her eyes, tears pouring out unwillingly. She shivered from the cold, looking up at the three girls and it made Irene feel anger seeing the calm look on the blonde’s face as if seeing them was normal.

“Thanks.”

As if she was used to this.

She is.

            Joy, hearing the Ocean, scowled unknowingly. “So am I dead?” The blonde muttered, her voice a pitch higher and hoarse. The thought of death looked like it didn’t scare her; it’s as if she was satisfied and it was actually a joyous thought. “No, you’re not.” Irene answered, bending down to look the girl in the eyes.

“My name is Irene.” She pointed to the two behind her. “The girl with red hair is Joy, and the bear-looking girl is Seulgi.”

“Are you angels?” She asked again, her eyes lighting up.

Irene smiled. “No. Have you ever heard of sirens?”

“You mean old ladies singing on the ocean and luring men for their own pleasure?”

“Where did you hear that?” Irene tried not to scoff at the absurd thinking of humans. Yeri shrugged. “Grandma talked about it…” Irene coughed again, ignoring Joy’s thoughts that were telepathically sent to her. The younger was cursing people who made that misconception about Sirens.

“Well, um…” “Yeri, my name is Yeri.” The girl smiled before wincing in pain. This broke Irene’s heart. “Well, Yeri, that’s a wrong perspective about a Siren. You see, the three of us are Sirens. We serve the Ocean by being her ‘voice’ for a hundred of years. Did you get that?”

“No.”

            Seulgi snorted. Irene coughed, ears flushing in embarrassment. How was she going to communicate with a girl from this timeline? “In short, you can be one of us if you want to, but you have to leave your current life.” Joy bluntly helped her out.

“Really?” Yeri shot to her feet, ignoring the pain in her legs. “I can do that?”

“If you want to join us, Yeri. Are you sure you want to leave all of your life behind?”

“I’m given the chance. I won’t hesitate to say yes, I do want to leave this life.” Yeri answered, showing her bruises. “I want to forget my father. My mother. The pain.” Irene knew that the girl was close to crying at the painful memories.

“Will I forget them?” Yeri asked, hope blooming in her dull, brown eyes.

“Yes. You won’t even remember anything from your life.”

 “The Ocean will be your new mother and this time, you’ll be taken care of, my dear.” Irene said, slowly reaching out to Yeri to ruffle her blonde hair, a motherly tone showing in her voice. Yeri didn’t flinch away and she nestled herself in Irene’s palm that held her tightly. “We’ll be your sisters too. We’ll grant your wishes.”

“I want to. I really do.” Yeri whispered. “You’re not joking with me, are you? Because I think I’ve gone bonkers.”

“We’re real. All of these are very real.” Joy confirmed.

Take her under. Make sure to help her, she can’t swim.

            Irene shook her head at the Ocean’s commanding voice. “We’ll have to go back down to the Ocean, Yeri. She’ll be helping you turn into a Siren.” ‘I don’t want to burden you.’ Irene thought to herself, now that she thinks carefully. Yeri was so young; three months from now, they’ll be singing and Yeri will become like her.

A murderer.

            “Are you sure about this, Yeri?” She asked once more, after Joy and Seulgi jumped into the waters. Yeri looked at the waters uneasily before glancing at the bridge she was thrown earlier.

“I would rather spend my life with you than with my parents.” Yeri stated, making no rooms for any arguments.

Irene sighs.

“One, two, three!”

They jumped.

~.~.~.~

            When they got back to their beach house, Yeri stood still near the shores, looking at her arms that weren’t covered with bruises anymore. “So I can’t get hurt? I can’t get sick? Am I able to sleep?” She bombarded the Ocean with her questions.

Yes, Yes, and Yes, but you don’t need sleep, Yerim, dear.

Yeri cringed. “Don’t call me that please. It reminds me of my father.” She looked down shamefully.

I’m sorry, darling. I’m sorry about everything you had to go through. But trust Me. Irene and the others will take care of you.

“Thank you. Thank you for this new life. But…I can still vividly remember everything my father did to me. You said I would forget.” She cried, for the first time in a while.

You will. But if you want to forget, you have to let go of your hatred.

“How can I? How can I forget when he did so many unforgivable things to me! I’m only nineteen! He took the life of his own child and didn’t even feel guilty!” Yeri kicked the sand in frustration. “I had a life ahead of me…I had dreams…I had so many things I wanted to do but he crushed them.”

            Yeri’s chapped lips quivered as she sat on the beach, letting the waters hit her as the waves came and go. You’re given a second chance, Yeri. This is you new life. You can leave everything behind, you can still achieve the dreams you’ve always wanted. You can do everything you want and you have a hundred years more.

But maybe it would make you feel better if you discussed this with your sisters.

Look, Irene is already waiting for you.

            Yeri turned around to see Irene, smiling dearly at her, arms opened wide and bare feet tapping against the sandy beach; she was wearing new clothes, a pair of black jeans and a denim polo. Without hesitation, Yeri ran until she felt Irene wrap her arms around her.

“This is your home now, Yeri.” Irene whispered.

Home. Yeri loved the sound of that.

But I’m sorry to put you through what happens next, darling.

Yeri didn’t know what that meant, but as long as Joy, Seulgi and Irene would protect her,

Then she would willingly serve the Ocean.

~.~.~.~

            After Christmas Eve, the Sirens started becoming quieter. They could feel the Ocean getting hungry as the months have passed. There was only one month left now. Usually, She would get hungry and moody after six months but She tries to push it off for a year. (A woman on her period, if Irene were to describe.)

Irene grimaces. It was getting hard for her to talk to the Ocean now.

            Yeri had adapted well, but what worried all three of them was that her memories of her father abusing her was still vivid in her mind and it’s been two months already. What did she go through and how hard was it that Yeri couldn’t forget it?

Joy and Yeri clicked well with each other, Yeri always tagging along wherever Joy went. It was possibly because Joy’s family wasn’t fond of her as well, and although she didn’t share much with Seulgi and Irene, they knew that Joy was still keeping some emotions inside her.

            Irene started thinking of buying a new phone since money was not an issue to them; but it was because Wendy always messaged her every day since she left, a simple ‘Good Morning’ or a ‘How are you doing?’ And even, ‘I baked a cake today. It was really crappy. I wish I paid more attention when you were with me.’

            It pained the Siren to ignore the sweet woman. Although she tried everything to avoid her, (No, she didn’t. She read every messages over and over again), she couldn’t reply back. Wendy would forget her. Or Wendy might have already forgotten her.

She stopped a month ago.

Irene didn’t know what’s happening.

Was Wendy doing alright?

            These thoughts haunted her until the day came when all four of them stood on the untamable waters of the Ocean. The Ocean took them near Europe, a small and elegant, blood red ship setting sail.

I’m starving.

“Wait. Wait until it gets far enough.” Irene chewed on her bottom lip. Yeri cowered behind her and Joy patted the younger’s head.

“Don’t look at their face. Don’t save them. Just sing. Finish the song.” Irene instructed and Yeri obediently nodded her head. “I’m sorry you have to do this.” Irene shot her an apologetic look to which Yeri weakly smiled at. “You’re my family now. I’m fine.”

Joohyun! Now. Sing now!

            Immediately as they felt their stand on the water becoming harder, they opened their mouths and a song with lyrics from different language flowed out naturally, the ship changing courses. The waves roared as the held the boat in place and Irene could see the familiar blank looks appearing on the people’s faces.

And then it starts.

            One by one, people started walking towards the edge of the ship, others already falling as they are swallowed by the Ocean, Irene tried concentrating, her face scrunching up in concentration.

 

But her heart almost stopped when she locked eyes with an elderly woman, who was ready to leap off the large ship.

But instead of Irene’s heart stopping. She stopped singing.

“NO!”

            The elder woman was familiar, and Irene widened her eyes as realization dawned on her face. She screamed when the woman hit the waters and gasped as she started flailing around, the hypnotism wearing off. She looked around, her voice choking as she screamed,

“Hyunwoo?”

“Hyunwoo darling! Where are you?” She gasped before her eyes closed tightly.

            Hyunwoo. Irene surged forward, but was forced to stop when she felt someone grab her hand. “Joohyun what are you doing?! SING!” Seulgi screamed at her, eyes filled with horror. Irene couldn’t stop the tears from coming.

Joohyun, SING. The Ocean screamed at her. Irene looked back at the woman who was starting to lose strength. The other passengers started gaining consciousness even though Yeri and Joy continued singing, trying to concentrate on the song.

“Please-Please save her! Please take her with us!” Irene begged.

How many times have I told you? No wives and no mothers. The Ocean growled.

“Joohyun, please sing. You’ll put us all in danger.” Seulgi cried out.

            With trembling lips and a broken heart, Irene opened and continued the deadly song.

 

Son Hyunwoo.

Son Hankyo.

 

‘Seungwan I hope you'll forgive me.’

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.A/N: I hope this is interesting enough for you guys. :)

Tell me your thoughts, I hope this is satisfying enough. Upvote if you like it, comment when you want to tell me your reactions, subscribe for more.

By the way, I finished reading Kierra Cass's The Siren which became an inspiration for this; there are similar scenes but it's different from the book, I promise you. ;)

 

I'm practicing writing now, I want to improve continuously!