Love and Roses

Red and Blue Mix

LOVE and ROSES

 

~.~.~.~

 

When Wendy first saw Irene in her wedding dress, it was the happiest day of her life.


 

Irene Bae.


 

She was smiling from ear-to-ear, with her chocolate brown eyes twinkling, her long wavy ebony hair was braided and rested on the right side of her neck. Her wedding dress was a snow white, strapless silk gown that showed off her perfect body proportions. Her two hands were holding a bouquet of salvias, blue and red. Her whole figure was glowing brightly, and from that, Wendy thinks she was an angel.

 

Gorgeous, surreal, she was so, ethereal.


 

Wendy gripped the DSLR in her hands tightly.


 

"Seungwan!" She called out with a grin.


 

They were outside of the church where the wedding was going to be held and start in a few minutes or so.


 

Wendy thanked God that she was the first one (besides Irene's stylist) to see her in her wedding dress, because that was always her wish. She gave Irene a smile and gazed at her, her beauty overwhelming Wendy as heat rose to the younger’s cheeks.


 

"Joo-Irene." She caught herself.


 

Her eyes travelled down to Irene's hands which she lifted up, hiding her face behind it before asking, "It's just what you suggested! Salvia!"


 

Salvias didn't suit a wedding.


 

Wendy and Irene both knew that, but Irene still agreed to it anyway.


 

///


 

“Seungwan, I have to hold a bouquet on the wedding, don't I? Roses are overused.”

 

She had dragged Wendy out to a boutique store but she didn’t mind. Wendy was nodding along to what the older was saying, agreeing that roses were overused.

 

‘And overrated.’ She thought.

 

She once read a book about flowers before, where she found out that roses signified new beginnings, promises and new hopes. The brunette thought it was rubbish. She saw many of her friends and couples that gave roses to each other. After two or three months, the couple would break up. Even some married couples didn’t last long.

 

So when Irene sighed and was about to give up on looking for flowers that will replace the roses, something caught Wendy’s eyes. “Wait, J-I-Irene.” The said girl looked up in confusion when Wendy picked up two flowers and showed it to her. Irene took it in her hands carefully, inspecting it with amused eyes. “What are these called?”

 

And Wendy remembered perfectly.

 

“Salvias.”

 

She pointed at the two flowers, “The blue one symbolizes, “I think of you,” while the red one represents, “Forever mine.”

 

Irene was silent for a moment and Wendy thought that what she said was cheesy. “S-Sorry, you must not like that, maybe we should take something else-” But she was quieted down by Irene’s giggling. Wendy scratched her head, her face flushing out of embarrassment.

 

But it was all washed away when Irene spoke up, looking at her in the eyes.

 

“I love it.”

 

Wendy’s heart was beating loudly in her chest, and she thinks Irene might hear it.

 

But she doesn’t.

 

///

 

“What do you think?”

 

Irene spun around in her wedding dress and Wendy quickly took a picture of her. “Yah!” Irene tried to grab for the camera but Wendy was stronger and stopped her from advancing. Gently, without caring, Wendy caressed her cheek, the touch soft and fleeting. Irene blinked and froze for a second. The shorter woman stepped back and cleared , her deep voice coming out softly and silent.

 

“You’re ethereal. Beautiful.”

 

The raven-haired girl regained her composure, nervously fidgeting Wendy’s piercing gaze. “W-Well, you did choose it after all.”

 

“I did. I have better taste than you.” Wendy joked, earning a punch on her shoulder.

 

///

 

It was two weeks before the wedding but Irene was freaking out. She was inside Wendy’s apartment at three in the morning.

 

The sleepy woman was awoken by loud knocks on her apartment door. She decided to punch whoever it was who interrupted her desired sleep. She was awake all night these few days because of one girl disturbing her thoughts, and when she swiftly opened her door, arm ready, she stopped at the sight of the girl she just mentioned. Now now, Wendy didn’t care who it was who disturbs her sleep, she’ll murder them, but Irene standing there in a large gray hoodie and navy blue shorts with puppy eyes and pouty lips only disturbed her and only made her melt into a puddle.

 

Droopy eyes followed Irene who walked frantically back and forth in her room, mumbling under her breath. “Bear is out of town, Yongsun and Byul have horrible taste and Yeri is too young!!” ‘Don’t underestimate the young ones,’ Wendy wanted to say, remembering the evil Kim Yerim. And who the hell was Bear? Irene shook Wendy’s shoulders just when she was about to close her eyes, but instead opened them and looked at her wildly.

“Seungwan! Don’t sleep on me now, I’m in a crisis!” She cried.

 

Wendy scowled. ‘That’s it.’

 

She grabbed Irene by her arms and Irene screamed when Wendy pulled her and switched their positions, with Irene laying on the king-sized bed and Wendy hovering over her; before standing and taking a pillow and an extra blanket. “Sleep first, we’ll go shopping tomorrow.”

 

With that, Wendy dropped on the floor, covered herself with a blanket and went to dreamland in a minute.

 

Irene’s eyes were wide and was agape. Her worrying vanished when Wendy said they’d go shopping tomorrow morning, and for the first time in a while, Irene slept peacefully with a smile on her face.

.

 

.

 

.

She woke up to the sound of water running. Yawning, she got off the bed and looked at the digital clock that sat on Wendy’s nightstand.

 

8:32 a.m.

 

She let out s squeak when the bedroom door opened and Wendy walked in with damp hair, wearing a plain, black long sleeve and blue jeans and bare feet. In her left hand, she was holding a paper bag. “Great, you’re awake, the shower’s ready. I’m still preparing breakfast though.” Wendy said in a cheery tone, and Irene felt nauseous, realizing she hadn’t heard Wendy speak in that tone for a long time.

 

The younger walked towards her and gave her the bag, Irene receiving it shyly, afraid to look at her. “C’mon, I’ve seen you plenty of times in your morning state when we were kids, don’t be embarrassed now.” Wendy chuckled. “Right, those are clothes for you.”

 

Irene’s head shot up before she looked down, shocked. “You bought these?”

 

“Ran to the store…” She mumbled.

 

///

 

People stared at Wendy who walked in her blue pajamas that had orange prints, and bunny slippers. She urgently left her apartment when she remembered that Irene slept over last night and had no other clothes than those shorts and hoodie. The short woman went out after washing her face and brushing her teeth, but realized that she was in her pajamas after she already walked three blocks.

 

Thankfully, she only received stares, not words. Wendy was never good with them.

 

Wendy found herself entering a clothing shop called Blanc&Eclare, scratching her head in puzzlement. What kind of clothes does Irene wear? She bit her lower lip, eyes roaming around the shop, her feet taking her somewhere. She jumped a little when she heard a cough behind her.

 

It was a woman, probably in her early twenties. She had brown-dyed hair, and was almost as short as Irene(probably only an inch taller.) Her face immediately reminded Wendy of an idol(and a bear) and didn’t look like a typical Korean at all; well, considering that most Koreans she had met had double eyelids. The woman’s monolid eyes left Wendy in awe. She wore a blue uniform with a pencil skirt.

 

“May I know why you’re inside a women’s clothing shop in your pajamas, ma’am?” The way she said it did sound ridiculous to Wendy. But it didn’t offend her. Instead she let out an awkward laugh, “Um…My friend came over last night with just a hoodie and shorts and slept over. We were supposed to go shopping for wedding dresses today, but she had no other clothes so…”

 

Maybe that was too much explanation to someone she didn’t know?

 

The employee made an ‘Oh’ with her lips and Wendy almost burst out laughing at her expression. Wendy looked at the nametag clipped on the left part of her chest. Seulgi.

 

“I see. Well, describe her and I’ll help you.”

 

Wendy froze in her spot. Irene’s face flashed in her mind but she swats it out. Wendy obeys the employee anyway. With a cough, “She…She’s 27 years old with pink lips and high cheekbones. Rosy cheeks with soft, milky white skin, skinny but acts like a granny. Her last name is Bae, and I think it suits her very well because she’s one of the most beautiful people in Daegu.”

 

Judging from Seulgi’s expression, Wendy didn’t do a good job describing Irene.

 

“That’s…That’s kind of a vague description. Could you elaborate more?” Seulgi was keeping herself from giggling because the shorter girl sounded in love with the ‘friend’she was talking about.

 

Embarrassed, Wendy tried again and summarized, “She’s as tall as you, with ebony hair, milky white skin, rosy cheeks and her last name is Bae.”

 

It was just like her first explanation, but the employee only shook her head, trying to hold in her laughter. “Do you at least have any pictures?” Oh right! Why didn’t Wendy think of that earlier? She pulled out her phone and just clicked on the first picture of Irene that caught her eye.

 

Which was a sleeping Irene.

 

Maybe it was just her imagination but realization dawned on Seulgi’s face, and her eyebrows rose like rockets about to take off. Her eyes shot up to look at Wendy who, in turn, gave her a puzzled look. “You said you were going shopping for wedding dresses? Are you getting married?”

 

“Well, no…” Wendy showed her a bitter smile, “But she is.”

 

///

 

“You know, you could have just driven me up to my house, you didn’t have to buy clothes for me.” Irene gestured to her clothes, worry laced in her voice. ‘This feels expensive.’ It did look simple, with a black and white plaid shirt and fit, tattered jeans. Simple, but Wendy paid for the brand and not the quality. (Or maybe both.)

 

‘Makes me worry about her future.’ Irene thought.

 

“It would take too much time waiting for you to get finished in your house and besides, take it as a congratulations gift.” But the truth was, Wendy didn’t want to see her go back to a house that wasn’t theirs.

 

People might call her selfish,

 

But even for just a moment, she wanted to spend all her remaining time with Irene.

 

 

As her gaze was on the beautiful girl, going through dress after dress, shop after shop, Wendy realized that he didn’t want to let her go. But in the first place, why did she allow her to date her best friend in the first place?

 

She was happy.

 

That’s why.

 

‘She wasn’t happy with you.’

 

“Seungwan?”

 

Irene’s endearing voice, although heart-clenching, snapped her out of her negative thoughts. Irene looked distraught. Wendy, who was sitting in front of the curtain of the dressing room, patted the spot besides her and Irene sighs before sitting down. Wendy’s eyes softened.

 

“I can’t seem to get a grasp on the wedding dresses. I mean, they’re all beautiful and well-made, but…I don’t think what I’m looking for is in any of the shops.”

 

When she heard this, opened slightly as she clapped her hands, startling the older girl. “Ah, I know a place you might like.” She pulled Irene by the hand and left the shop with a ‘Thank You,’ driving off in her BMW towards an unknown place.

 

But after two and a half hours, Irene couldn’t help but ask, “Where are you taking me?”

 

“Somewhere I could murder you.”

 

That earned her a slap on the face. “Ouch, I’m joking, J-Irene! We’re heading to Daegu.”

 

The familiar name of her province had Irene’s ears perk up and as she looked around, she realized that they were indeed heading there, with the signature landscapes they were passing by. “But why?” Wendy just answered with a hum and, “You’ll see.”

 

 

Irene was an old-fashioned person.

 

People always about her age and calling her a ‘grandma’ so it made her a bit embarrassed. But she couldn’t hide her love for old-fashioned stuff when Wendy led her inside a lone wooden cabin just outside of Daegu with creaky wooden floor boards and the fragrance of sweet honey greeted her, making her wrinkle her nose, but welcoming the scent. The cabin had rounded stairs leading towards the second floor, colored wood made up the ground she was standing on and walls and there was a counter in front of them, with two doors behind it.

 

“Uncle! Customers are here.” Wendy called out, her voice filled with excitement.

 

Irene squeaked a little when she heard footsteps running down the stairs, and a man in his forties-early forties, with military-cut black hair and round glasses stared at them in bewilderment. He was wearing a green shirt and blue worn out pants. “Seungwannie? Are you really my little girl?”

 

“Hi, uncle! I want you to meet, Irene.” The brunette gestured Irene to come closer, and she did, nervously. She bowed slightly and greeted the old man, “Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Joohyun, but people call me Irene.”

“Oh yes, nice to meet you! My name is Dong Woo.” He observed her, who fidgeted under his gaze, before Dong Woo nodded and gave Wendy an approving look. “She’s very beautiful, good catch, Seungwan.”

 

“Uncle.” Wendy tried not to smile out of amusement.

 

Irene flushed and tugged her hair back. “Anyway, come and sit down!”

 

After the man went somewhere, Irene wrapped her arms around Wendy’s neck and put her in a headlock. “You brat, what are we doing here?”

 

“Ow, ow, stop!”

 

Irene did and huffed. She was never good with meeting new people. They went upstairs and sat on the small, red velvet couch in the living room (which was basically half of the second floor) and after a while, Dong Woo returned with banana bread and orange juice. “I’m sorry that this is all I could offer you.” He apologized to Irene specifically but Irene shook her head and took the food gratefully. She ate in comfortable silence until Wendy coughed, earning the two’s attention.

 

“Right, uncle…The reason why I’m here is because of...” She faltered slightly, as lingering eyes were on her but she urged herself to continue. “Remember my favor three years ago?”

 

‘Favor?’ Irene thought. Dong Woo seemed to understand, with his mouth opening and closing like a fish and his eyes widened, before looking at Irene and back to Wendy, repeating this action for a minute or two. “Wait! Y-You mean that Irene-sshi here is?”

 

She caught the grimace Wendy shot the old man as the latter shut up. Wendy glanced at Irene before forcing out a smile, “I’ll just talk to him about something, do you mind if we go out and talk?” Irene was in no place to refuse so she just nodded dumbfounded.

 

 

She didn’t know if it was the perk of having a simple home, but her eyes widened when she heard bits and pieces of the conversation downstairs.

 

“Seungwan, are you sure? You didn’t tell me!”

 

“You’re wrong, ajhusshi. It’s not for me, it’s for her.” Wendy voice was calm but it was also interlaced with some other tone that Irene could identify as hopeless. (Perks of taking psychology), she decided to come closer, careful not to be seen by the two below her.

 

“So she’s getting married?” Wendy didn’t answer so Irene assumed she nodded. Suddenly, their voices faded into whispers and Irene decided to go back to where she was sitting a while ago.

 

It was after a little over ten minutes when the two came up, Wendy’s gaze gentle but sad, the same with Dong Woo, as if someone had just died. “Irene, I found the perfect dress.” Wendy said determinedly.

 

 

Irene found out that Dong Woo was actually a dress tailor and his shop was actually in the central of the province. Wendy went outside as Dong Woo instructed her and he led Irene into one of the doors at the back of the counter.

 

She was in awe, when the door opened to reveal variety of dresses, some displayed and others hanged in the corners.

 

In the center, there were three white gowns-wedding dresses. One had a cross-off shoulder with the waist having a white belt of soft white flower clothe. Another was a turtle neck see-through arm bands with a Disney-like balloon dress, but it looked too fancy for Irene’s liking.

 

“You know, Seungwannie was the one who asked me to create these three.”

 

Irene turned and focused her attention on Dong Woo who had a far-away gaze. “But why did she?’ Her voice was cautious, afraid she might step out of line.

 

“It was…for her future partner.” Dong Woo chuckled in amusement. “I was actually shocked to think that she’d swing both ways.” He whispers. More on the other side though.

 

“Huh?”

 

Dong Woo smiled fondly at her, before approaching the dress, his fingers softly touching the fabric. “It was for her future wife. Seungwan asked me to make a perfect dress for someone she loved very much.”

 

“But-“

 

“Choose. Seungwan wants you to choose at least one of these.”

 

And Irene stayed silent, staring at the dresses in front of her.

 

She glanced back at the old man and she took a shaky breath.

 

“I see.”

 

///

 

When she went out of the dressing room, she was greeted by Wendy sleeping on the chair Dong Woo had given her after she refused to go back upstairs. Her eyes were closed tightly, making her look grumpy. Her lips were parted slightly and she snored quietly, making Irene giggle. “Wan-ah.” She whispered and nudged her which woke her up. “Huh?” Wendy answered groggily.

 

“I’ve chosen one.” She flashed her smile.

 

///

 

“I think of you.”

 

“Forever mine.”

 

‘But you’re not.’

 

After picking the gown from the tailor shop, Wendy drove Irene back to her house, which Wendy dreaded. But she did anyway.  Night has fallen when they arrived there, a tall woman was waiting in front of the house with her arms crossed and leather shoe tapping on the pavement in a rhythmic pattern, red hair, as red as blood, was moving slightly behind her because of the breeze.

 

Joy Park.

 

Irene’s spouse.

 

 

Immediately as Wendy stopped the car, Irene took off her seatbelt and quickly opened the door and ran towards Joy. She embraced Irene in a hug which she returned, wrapping her arms around Joy’s neck. Wendy’s grip on the steering wheel tightened, and without a word, she drove off and left the couple alone.

 

She focused on the road ahead even though her chest was full of pain.

 

And she wonders,

Was love able to do so much to you?

 

She sighs.

 

Maybe she should have a drink.

 

It’s been a while.

///

 

“You?”

 

“Wendy-sshi?”

 

An employee at a cloth shop at day time, and a barista at night. Familiar brown eyes stared at Wendy in surprise, while the shorter stared back although in shock. Wendy sat on the round seat in front of the bar, eyebrows knitted in confusion. Seulgi, the barista just gave her a look before going back to her job, wiping the glasses with a clean cloth.

 

“Why are you here?” Wendy questioned.

 

“I work here.” Was Seulgi’s simple answer.

 

“But you’re a cloth manager.”

“That doesn’t mean I can’t work as a barista, can’t I?”

“Touché.”

 

 

Wendy observed her, with slumped shoulders and a down casted expression. Seulgi gave her a sympathetic look, half-knowing the reason why. “What do you want?” She asked. Wendy blinked twice, eyes watering, before shaking her head, “Anything strong.”

 

Although Seulgi disagreed with her choice, she was still a customer.

 

It was just after Wendy’s second cup of Sonama did she get a tad bit drunk. ‘She isn’t good with alcohol.’ As if reading her mind, Wendy answered, “Thish is the firsth time I drank.”

 

“What?!”

 

On cue, Wendy ran towards the bathroom, barfing.

 

Seulgi massaged her temples as her head ached. ‘Joohyun, look at what you’ve done.’

 

When she came back, Wendy knew she was still far from being sober. “You know, Joohyun’s getting married.” She started, pouting and glaring at the counter, Seulgi thinking it was adorable. “I know.” Seulgi replied shortly. Wendy looked at her with half-lidded eyes, “You know Hyunnie? It h.”

 

‘Hyunnie?’

 

“I know her. She’s a close friend.” Seulgi answered, opening a bottle of water. She drank and almost choked at Wendy’s next sentence, “She’sh getting married but she keepsh on mentioning this Bear person. I can’t believe she hash another friend other than me.”

 

“She talks about me?” Seulgi said in disbelief. Wendy scoffed. “In your dreams, Sluggie. Bear ish far from Sluggie. Oh wait!” She hiccupped. “You do have something in common, your face!” Wendy cackles. “I’m sho funny, right?”

 

“It’s Seulgi, not Sluggie. My nickname is Bear, you idiot.” Seulgi flicked her forehead to which Wendy groaned.

 

“But she said you were out of town?”

 

“I was…” Seulgi’s voice faltered. She couldn’t say the reason why.

 

Wendy waved her hand as if to say, ‘Nevermind’ before sighing loudly. “Is she the reason why you’re here?” Seulgi got to the point, sitting down besides the drunken girl. “I…No. Not her…Maybe just me.” Wendy played with her wine glass, hiccupping and eyes getting teary. “Why you?” Seulgi’s voice was comforting, calming Wendy and making her less nervous.

 

“She’s getting married…and…”

 

“And I can’t let her go.”

 

Seulgi knew. She expected the answer. She patted Wendy on the back comfortingly chuckling weakly in the process. “I understand.”

 

“I love her.”

 

“But she’s getting married. I picked out the flowers. I picked out her wedding dress, but why can’t I be the one marrying her? Why am I not the one she picked?” Seulgi only nodded, her other hand unconsciously going down to the chair and gripped on it tightly.

 

“I’m selfish. I wanted to spend all my time with her before she gets married. I feel like I’m committing a sin. Her fiancé is my friend, and she trusts me. But I-I can’t trust myself.” Seulgi didn’t speak at all and just let Wendy say her thoughts aloud.

 

“I love her. I know I’ll continue loving her. She’s so precious, and I’m constantly worrying about how she’ll treat her. I know I can treat her better, I know I can treat her like the world but-but…”

 

 

After she quieted down, Seulgi spoke up, “What would you rather choose to have, Wendy? Your happiness or someone else’s?”

Even with the strange and random question, Wendy answered, “What would you rather have?”

 

“I would rather choose someone else’s happiness.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I once chose to give my heart to someone who didn’t deserve me who I thought would be my happiness. Then destroyed it. At least if that certain someone else turns out to be happy, I guess I’m already happy with that. So it is a win-win.” She mumbled, before looking up to an amused Wendy. “You are weird.” She let out an airily laugh.

 

“You know, Wendy-sshi. She can’t pick you if she doesn’t know what you’re feeling towards her.”

 

This time, Wendy couldn’t blink the tears away, and instead covered her face as she wept silently, letting a stranger see her in a pathetic state.

 

“That’s okay, it’s love.” Seulgi said lastly, closing her eyes and a mop of red hair in her mind.

 

///

 

Wendy stayed in the very corner of the church, hands in her pocket as she left his camera in Yeri’s hands. The love of her life was walking down the aisle, with her father by her side. The familiar wedding tune played in the background as she slowly approached the altar where another woman with red hair was waiting.

‘Please say no.’ Wendy prayed.

It was wrong of her. It was wrong, she knew.

 

Before reaching the altar, Irene looked back and their eyes met, but for the first time, Wendy looked away.

 

 

When she knew that the exchange of vows was next, she left the church and went to the garden behind it. Wendy didn’t want to hear it. She didn’t want her heart to burst and break into a million of pieces that will be nearly impossible to mend. It would hurt so much, seeing the person you love be with someone else.

 

It already hurts loving her secretly for more than seven years.

 

It hurts not being picked.

 

It was heart-shattering, tear-jerking and idiotic.

 

“Don’t you want to see her happy?” Wendy didn’t have to turn around to see who was speaking. “I know she’s happy, but I don’t have to see it, do I?” Sarcasm dripped from every word. “What are you doing here anyway? Don’t you want to see her happy?” Wendy fired back.

 

“I love her. Of course I want to see her happy. But I’m not happy.” She finally turned around to see Seulgi, whose hair was tied up into a bun, curly locks being excluded, pearly earrings shined as she played with a green rose in her hand. “What do you mean?”

 

“In this world, there are times when you have to lose your happiness in order for someone else to have theirs. I love someone, but that person loves someone else. Wouldn’t you do everything in order for that person to be happy, even if it would mean you won’t be?”

 

Seulgi stretched out her hand with the rose, “Take it.” Wendy bit her lower lip but did what the girl said. “Maybe we’re both broken.” She said it as if it was easy and light, but she knew that it was heavy on the heart. “You…”

 

Wendy’s eyes widened as Seulgi gave her a cheeky smile. “Green is her favorite color.”

 

And then it clicked.

 

‘Bear’s out of town.’

 

“You lied to her.”

 

“Did you tell her the truth? I don’t think so.”

“Don’t tell me that you hypocrite.” Seulgi just grinned.

 

Wendy raised the rose, about to question Seulgi but she spoke first, “It’s hard to let go, but it’s harder to continue holding on to nothing.”

 

For the whole day, Wendy couldn’t stop thinking about what she said.

 

It’s easy if both of you love each other. It’s easy if both of you can pull each other up if one of you is down. It’s hard when you’re doing everything for her in secret. It’s hard to spend time with her knowing that you’ll have to give her away, even when she was never yours in the first place.

 

But it will be harder living with this secret.

 

Wendy was halfway through her drive towards Daegu before she hit the break and turned the car back around.

 

Wendy was going to make this right.

 

///

 

“Seulgi unnie?”

 

The short girl stiffened when she heard the familiar high-toned voice. It was the wedding reception and the girl didn’t know why she decided to go there even when she didn’t want to. Scratch that, she didn’t just not want to, she hates to. Yeah, you get what she meant.

 

“Sooyoung-sshi.” She replied hurriedly.

 

Joy raised an eyebrow, “What’s with the formalities? We’ve been friends for five years now.”

 

“Right, sorry.”

 

‘I can’t breathe with you around. My mind’s in a mess.’ Seulgi thought.

 

She was standing next to the banquet table and so decided to just take whatever food was placed there in order for Joy to think she’s busy and distracted with the food, but instead, the redhead went next to her and took a plate, filling it up with food as well. Great, just great.

 

“I haven’t seen you in a while. Joohyun unnie said that you were out of town. So how’s life?”

 

Seulgi winced at her lie, guilty because she did it out of her own reasoning. “It’s going pretty good. Congratulations on getting married by the way.”

 

Joy only smiled while Seulgi bid her goodbye.

A final goodbye.

 

///

 

Wendy hurriedly ran, panting as she took the stairs up to the eight floor of the hotel where the reception was being held, (Why didn’t she take the elevator? It’s more dramatic that way.)  The rose in her hand. The hotel had speakers hanging from the elegant ceiling, playing Big Bang’s Taeyang’s “Wedding Dress,” “How ironic.” Wendy said under her breath. Sweat ran down her forehead and her eyes were getting blurry because of exhaustion. Curse her short legs.

 

‘After this, I am so going to go exercise more.’

 

Wendy was on the fifth floor when a hotel door opened and she slammed right into it, head first.

 

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry-Seungwan?!”

 

Wait what?

 

In front of her, stood Irene in all her glory, still wearing the wedding dress but no more flowers. Wendy’s face scrunched up. “Gosh, I’m so sorry-but Seulgi told me you left-omo, are you okay?!” She knelt down but tripped on the gown, with a scream, she fell on top of the already injured woman.

 

‘That is it.’

 

This was the most unromantic confession ever, like those dramas where you know what the outcome is going to be because it’s always the same. But this was reality, and she didn’t know what would happen next. All she knew was that she was going to make her own ending.

 

Wendy grabbed Irene by the shoulders and dragged her inside the room she came out of, which was actually a bedroom but she notices the scattered make-up equipment on the desk in the corner of the large hotel room. She locked the door before turning to Irene who looks terrified.

 

“W-What’s wrong?”

 

Wendy was a person who hates wasting her time over pointless things.

 

She gently took Irene’s hand in hers and placed the rose in her hand. “Here,” although she knew what she decided to do, it surprised Wendy that her voice was shaking. Irene bit her lower lip in confusion, “It’s a rose…But I thought you hated roses?”

 

For the first time in a while, Wendy looked directly into the pool of brown eyes that she loved so much. She took time to admire them, staring right back at her, discouraged, Wendy still raised her hand and cupped Irene’s face. ‘You’re married now.’ She thought, ‘Unfortunately.’ “Seungwan?” Irene closed her eyes, voice soft and hesitant.

 

“Roses,” Wendy paused, glancing at the rose between the two, “represents hope, promises and new beginnings. And I-”

 

Wendy’s hand balled into a fist and she hid it behind her back, a sad smile forming on her face. But contrary to what she knew, Irene understood where this was going.

 

“Something new is beginning, and that’s yours and Joy’s story. It’s not a continuation because you two are starting a new life together. But…” Irene only stared at the rose with an unreadable expression that scared Wendy for the first time in her life, still she continued,

 

“Our story, you and me, is ending.”

 

‘Even though technically speaking, we didn’t have a story of and about ‘us’.’

 

‘I love you.’

 

Irene was frozen in place. She did neither speak nor looked at Wendy. The younger, although still heartbroken took this as her cue to leave, but her feet remained unmoving. ‘Move,’ Wendy pleaded with herself. Her eyes became teary, blurring out her vision, and anyone, just anyone except Irene can see her cry. Wendy just hates it if she did it in front of the love of her life. She gripped on her own black dress.

 

“Seungwan...”

 

“Wan-ah, look at me.”

 

Wendy didn’t even notice that she was looking down. She refused to look at Irene, refused looking weak and not wanting the girl to see how pathetic she was right now[even when Irene could already see the tears rolling down Wendy’s face silently.]

 

Irene bit her lower lip, her gaze softening as she brought the rose closer to her face. She looked up at the peach-cream ceiling deep in thought, before speaking up, Wendy’s long awaited reply.

 

“Maybe…Maybe if you told me before this happened…something could have happened between us.”

 

 

It was early in spring when Wendy first decided to confess.

 

But unfortunately, that day, they also met Joy and she could see how Irene’s eyes lit up when she saw her.

 

 

“But you’re happy now, and that’s all that matters.” Wendy answered.

 

Irene was mummed. But Wendy could see from Irene’s grimace, a silent apology being made. ‘What about the times we spent together? Did that mean nothing?’ Wendy shook off these thoughts knowing nothing can be done, unless she wanted to destroy a marriage and commit another sin.

 

“But for once…please allow me to do this.”

 

Wendy stepped closer to the startled girl, and slowly wrapped her arms around Irene’s petite shoulders, pulling her into a hug.

 

Irene didn’t hug back.

 

She knew what she was allowed and not allowed to do as a married woman, and the only thing she could do was close her eyes while she pretended not to hear the quiet sobs that came out of the younger girl unknowingly.

 

“I guess this is goodbye.”

 

Perhaps in the next lifetime, they would have a happy ending together.

 

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

A/N: Yo people. This story has been in my story files for a long time. so I changed some like their hair colors and stuff to match this. Also, I should explain why it's JoyRene and not SeulRene(WenRene's shipping rival most of the time.) First, SeulRene breaks my heart. Second, JoyRene needs more love. Third, I think Yerim needs more 'screen-time.'

I would like to inform you that this is originally a two-shot story. But the 'sequel' was poorly written for my liking and it didn't express my thoughts/characters' thoughts very well.

Thank you people, feel free to comment and give me CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. <3