My Baby Boy

Red and Blue Mix

My Baby Boy

~.~.~.~

          Wendy shuffled through the hallways of her university with her head down as she gripped tightly on the straps of her jumper. She chewed on her plump lips, ears flushed and chocolate brown eyes twitching behind a pair of large glasses.

Damn you, Joy.

You too, Yeri.

          She could hear the loud chattering around her soften until they were only whisperings and murmurings probably about her. Her brown, ombre hair was hidden beneath a well-kept black wig that was slick back, giving Wendy the image of a scrawny-looking fellow. But still handsome. She thought, smugly. She heard a group of girls giggled and pointed at her but now Wendy could care less.

 

“Wendy unnie, we’re bored.”

          Wendy was sitting in front of her laptop, inside her dorm while Joy was whining behind her, lying on her messy bed. Yeri, Joy’s friend, was sitting on the polished wooden floor, leaning against the bed that Joy was on. “Why don’t you go out and leave me to finish my research paper?” Wendy muttered under her breath, continually typing the theories and evidences she had in her head.

“We don’t have money.” Yeri answered simply, and then sighed.

“Unnie, give us money.” Joy continued, with a monotonous voice.

Wendy stopped typing before turning her head only to raise a brow at the two. “Excuse me? I’m budgeting right now. Why don’t you just call Seulgi and then you guys can go out? I’m sure she’d love to.” She turned back to work.

Joy scoffed. “She told me she was busy today. She plans on binge-watching dramas until tomorrow morning.” Wendy hears the bed rustle and knows that Joy was now sitting, a pout on her face. “Can you believe that, Wendy unnie? She chose to watch dramas instead of spending time with me! ME. Park. Joy. She must be blind to not want to spend time with her hot girlfriend!”

Wendy stopped, a playful smile finding it’s way onto her face. “I don’t think she’s blind, Joy. I actually think her sight is very clear. But sure, she must’ve been blind to actually fall in love with you.”

“Oh, shut up.” Joy clicked her tongue.

“Wendy unnie, I don’t think you’d be saying the same thing if it was your girlfriend who rejects spending time with you.” Yeri replied.

          Wendy froze before growling and turning back to Yeri who looked at her innocently. “She would never do that!” Joy snickered, making Wendy glare at her menacingly. “Uh-huh. Maybe because she doesn’t exist and wouldn’t do that.”

Wendy had a girlfriend. The problem was, she was going to a different university and was older than Wendy. She’s busy finishing up her degree as a Senior while Wendy was also trying hard to keep up, being a scholar and one of the smartest med students in her university.

They haven’t seen each other for a month now and secretly, it’s killing Wendy on the inside. Either she or her girlfriend would call a few times every week but they can’t stay on the phone for too long because their class schedules don’t match. Sometimes her girlfriend would still be studying until late at night while Wendy would be too tired the moment she goes home to her dorm.

“She exists! I just don’t want her to meet you two!” Wendy tries to reason out. Joy looked unconvinced while Yeri yawned in boredom. “Uh-huh. Who wouldn’t want to meet us? We’re awesome!” Joy flipped her hair.

“Buuuut, if she does exist…” Yeri glanced at Joy with a knowing look that made Wendy feel uneasy. Joy grinned evilly. “Wendy unnie, why don’t we make a bet?”

“Wh-What?”

“Simple. Call your girlfriend and ask her out on a date this weekend.” Yeri starts.

Wendy blinked in confusion. “But why would I do that?”

“To convince us that you aren’t lying. Don’t you know that the whole school thinks you’re lying?” Joy lied.

Wendy frowned in annoyance. ‘Gotcha.’ Joy and Yeri thought simultaneously. “Well, why should they care? Irene is busy so I don’t want to bother her.” Joy rolled her eyes. “Tch. Don’t you think this ‘Irene’ or so-called realistic girlfriend of yours want others to know that she’s your girl? Do you even know that you have so many fangirls and fanboys who are eagerly wanting for your attention?”

“And won’t this be good? You haven’t seen each other for a long time~” Yeri chirped in. Wendy bit her lower lip. “What’s the catch?” She did miss Irene. A little too much. Did Irene miss her?

Hook, line, and sinker.

“If she agrees to go on a date, then that would be very good for you! You get to spend time with her! And me and Yeri here will be the one in charge of your date-We’ll spend our allowance on you.” Joy sounded very confident. Wendy thought about this. It wasn’t a bad idea. She could already imagine Yeri and Joy’s faces when she wins.

“And if she doesn’t agree?” Wendy smiled.

“Then you have to do anything we say. And you can’t pester her out for a date if she refuses. You also can’t agree if she asks you out right after she rejects you!” Yeri hi-fived with Joy while Joy cheered for Yeri’s idea. They were so sure that Irene wouldn’t agree and it bothered Wendy.

“You’re on.”

 

          To say that Wendy was upset with Irene was an understatement. She felt like sulking and give Irene a cold shoulder. See how you like getting rejected. Wendy huffed. She immediately called Irene when she checked the older girl’s schedule to see that it was a free period.

“Wan-ah!”

          Wendy’s ears tingled at the sultry voice of her girlfriend. She could hear Irene panting and music blaring in the background. Irene must have just finished a dance routine. “Unnie!” Wendy greeted brightly and the two youngsters glanced at each other. This was the first time they saw a different kind of smile on their unnie’s face. Her face was glowing brightly with happiness and her voice carried a fond tone.

(If that’s how Joy sounds like when talking to Seulgi then Joy feels like reprimanding herself. It made her cringe.)

“What is it? I’m a bit busy right now.”

Wendy tried to keep the smile on her face. “Right. I was just wondering, since it’s been almost a month since we last saw each other and went out, do you want to go out this weekend? I’ll treat you.”

There was a pregnant pause that followed the question, and a thick air of tension surrounded the three who were in the dorm room. Wendy swallowed the unease building inside her while Joy and Yeri leaned closer to try and hear Irene’s answer.

“Seungwan, you know I would love to!” Wendy beamed.

“But…” Wendy’s smile dimmed.

“I have a dance showcase this weekend. I don’t think I can make it.”

          Irene’s voice was apologetic and Wendy knew that Irene really felt bad. (Of course Wendy would know, they’ve been dating for two and a half years.) But it still didn’t make Wendy feel any better. “It’s…It’s okay…” She replied weakly. “Um…Good luck on your showcase. B-But I wish you could have told me.” Wendy chuckled bitterly.

Why didn’t she know about this?

Nevertheless, she tried to be the understanding girlfriend.

“Wan-ah, I’m sorry, m-maybe it’s because I was a bit busy that I completely forgot to tell you-” Wendy waved her hand even though Irene could not see. “It’s fine. I’m busy right now too. But I made time to call you.” She mumbled the last part and said her goodbye before Irene could reply. She ended the call.

She crosses her arms and pouted, glaring at her laptop screen. She forgot that she had company. Yeri whistled. “Wow. That must’ve hurt. I think you were a bit too harsh on her, unnie.”

“Well who made me call to ask her in the first place?” Wendy shot Yeri an irritated look. Joy shrugged before raising her hands in the air. “Hey, hey, hey, unnie. Calm down. We did it for fun. Why didn’t you call her these days anyway and asked her out?”

“I did…But I always thought she’d be too busy to go out.” Wendy bit her lower lip.

“Well, right now we should be thankful to her. You lost.”

          Come to think of it, Wendy was glad that Irene didn’t agree. She wouldn’t want to go out with Irene just because of a stupid bet she agreed on. Right now, she was sitting in the very back of her classroom, some of her classmates looking back at her with amused expressions. Others snickered because Wendy would usually sit in the very front of the class.

“Alright, class! Let’s get started.”

Kim Taeyeon had entered with a stack of papers in her hands and she dropped them on the table carelessly. This made the class groan because it was probably a surprise quiz. She started to call the names one by one.

“Son Seungwan.”

Wendy raised her hand and coughed out before answering, “Present.” Taeyeon looked at her and raised her brows in surprise. “Well, Ms. Son. I didn’t think you’d actually dress like a guy just because your name is boyish.” This made Wendy flush red as her classmates started laughing.

“But I must say…you look quite handsome, better than half the guys here.”

Wendy did not expect the laughter to stop and people starting murmurs of agreements. (Even some boys did.) “I-uh-T-Thanks Ms. Kim.”

“You have to wear this whenever you go out for a whole month.”

          Joy and Yeri grinned like Cheshire cats when they saw their work of art: Who happens to be Wendy dressed as the opposite gender. Wendy stared at herself in the mirror, glumly. “Fine.”

          She must still have been down because of Irene’s rejection. Yeri and Joy didn’t mention it out of courtesy (or because there’s no need to because whenever Wendy will look at the mirror, it’ll be a reminder.)

          When it was lunch, the whole university already knew about how Wendy lost a bet and dressed up as consequence. What Wendy didn’t understand was that her fangirls(and boys) multiplied drastically in the few days she’d been going to school with that attire and there were more people waiting for her outside of her classroom than usual. (Wendy thought this was slightly creepy.)

          Joy and Yeri had a different schedule for their lunch period so Wendy decided to look for Seulgi, who was an art major in the same year. She found her sitting alone in the cafeteria, a can of Pringles in her hands. “Seul!” Wendy sighs in relief as she headed there, with an apple in hand.

          Seulgi drowsily looked up at her and Wendy stopped in her tracks before squinting her eyes, hidden behind a pair of glasses. “Whoa, what happened to you?” Dark bags were visible under Seulgi’s monolid eyes as she blinked before squinting back at Wendy. “Who the hell are you?”

“It’s Wendy.”

“Wendy? Why are you like that?”

          Seulgi’s eyes widened as if her eyeballs were about to fall out. She sat straight and scooted over to let Wendy sit beside her. “Your devil spawn girlfriend made me do this. Add Yeri too.” She sighs before chomping off the piece of the apple. Seulgi chuckled before offering Wendy her Pringles chips. “Is that the only thing you’re going to eat for lunch? Here, Pringles makes everything better!”

“No offense, Seulgi, but apples and Pringles don’t go together. I’m on a healthy diet.”

Seulgi frowned. “That isn’t healthy at all, Wen.”

“So are binge-watching dramas healthy, Seul. I’m the med student here.” Wendy chuckled at Seulgi’s expression, as if she was a deer caught in the headlights. Seulgi looked at her chips, embarrassed. “How’d you know?”

“Joy told me. But your eyes showed it.”

          They laugh together before starting a conversation of catching up. It’s been a while since they’ve hanged out since Seulgi was busy with an art project (about showcasing their artworks and getting graded.) While Wendy was studying hard to get her degree and become a doctor.

          They talked about how Seulgi was planning on putting up a painting of Joy as her artwork project. “I haven’t been able to spend time with her these days because of the project and I would binge-watch dramas to get my motivation. I want to paint the best portrait of Sooyoung.” Seulgi smiled sheepishly, a blush finding it’s way to her cheeks.

          “Wow, she’s lucky to have you.” Although Wendy smiled and meant it, she couldn’t help but be jealous of how Seulgi made an effort for her girlfriend. Her thoughts drifted back to her own girlfriend. After the childish remark that Wendy said over the phone, Irene had tried calling her back again after a few more hours but Wendy didn’t pick up.

          Irene must have been panicking because she started sending Wendy a handful of texts since that day (it’s been three days since then, today was Friday), just like how she used to.

 Wendy never realized how much she missed this attention from Irene.

From: My Baeby <3

Seungwan, I’m really sorry. I’ll make it up to you! Please don’t be mad at me, I love you :’<

From: My Baeby <3

Love, I hope you had a wonderful day today~ You’re still upset, aren’t you? L You aren’t answering my calls. But I still hope you’re having a good day…

From: My Baeby <3

Son Seungwan!!! I’m your unnie! You shouldn’t ignore my calls! That’s rude! Please just answer my calls!

I love you <3

From: My Baeby <3

Okay, I’m sorry, forget the last text. >.< Wannie, I’m missing you…

Don’t you miss me too?

 

          Wendy definitely missed her ‘baeby.’ She missed her so much, actually. This wasn’t their first time fighting; they’ve actually had so many arguments and fights during their first year of being a couple, but it was always Wendy who tries to find her way to make-up with the older girl.

(Maybe this time, she just wants Irene to be the one.)

“How about you? You and Irene unnie doing well?”

          Seulgi snapped her out of her imagination when she asked, looking at Wendy expectantly. “Oh…um…We kind of had a fight?” Wendy laughed awkwardly before proceeding to tell Seulgi what happened. Seulgi had never met Irene but she did see the two together out on a date a few months ago. (Wendy realized how long it had been since they went out on a date.)

“Oh. I’m sorry. If Sooyoung didn’t do that then maybe this wouldn’t happen.” Seulgi looked at Wendy sadly. Wendy shook her head. “No, actually I think I might thank her.” What? Her? Thank Park Joy? Never in a million years would she ever do that. “Even though she and Yeri did this to humiliate me, at least Irene is trying to fix things. This rarely happens.” Wendy smiled sweetly that it took a while for Seulgi to get out of her daze. “You have a really pretty smile whenever you think or talk about Irene unnie.”

“Well…it’s the same when you think of Joy.”

“Dude, we’re so whipped.”

~.~.~.~

 

          Wendy didn’t answer any of Irene’s calls because Joy and Yeri decided it would be better if Irene would physically come marching into their university, demanding to see her. Wendy thought that the two were sent from Hell to ruin her already rocky relationship with Irene. But then at the same time, they were brilliant. Wendy wanted to see how much she affected Irene. (Did she affect Irene just as much, too?) At least for once, Wendy wants to be the selfish little hamster.

But she never thought of the possibility until Irene did come to see her.

It’s after two excruciating weeks of cramming and quizzes where Wendy spotted her girlfriend in her university’s hallways, talking to a few people. It was just ten in the morning, Wendy finishing up her first class. It wasn’t hard to spot her because a group of both girls and boys surrounded her and out of curiosity, Wendy squeezed herself to the front of the crowd.

Irene was wearing a tight, black, t-shirt and grey sweatpants. Her hair was let down as she talked to familiar faces that turned out to be Wendy’s crazy fan girls from her fan club. She blinked, mouth agape. (How long has it been since she last saw Irene?) Wendy thought it had probably been long enough for her to forget how gorgeous and aesthetically-pleasing to the eyes Irene Bae was. She consciously glanced at the crowd who had their eyes on Irene and were whispering loudly for Wendy’s liking.

“Damn, this woman’s hot as hell.”

“Does she go to our university? Why have I never seen her before?”

“Crap. She’s gorgeous. Look at her body.”

          One thing Wendy hated the most were people eyeing her girl with erse looks on their faces and eyes hungry and lustful. She was seething with anger but decided to look back to Irene who had her brows furrowed. Then she hears the conversation.

“Why are you looking for Wendy unnie, anyway?” A blonde clicked her tongue.

“Yeah! Even if you are that pretty, Wendy unnie would never spare you a glance!” A brunette stuck her tongue out at her.

          Irene had a calm expression on her face, but knowing her, Wendy knew that she was trying not to lose control and kill the blonde. “I was just asking where Seungwan’s class is at.” Irene frowned. “But I guess I’ll ask someone else.” She turned her back on the two girls, not forgetting to flip her hair, smacking them in the faces. “And thanks for acknowledging the fact that I’m prettier than you’ll ever be.”

Choruses of “Buuuurn!” and gasps echoed around the hallway when Irene smirked and was about to walk away. Wendy found herself smiling and praising her girl for being so savage.

          The blonde cursed and gasped. “You !” She grabbed Irene by the shoulder (It didn’t help how she was a head taller than Irene) and pulled her, Irene yelping. The crowd took a step back, not doing anything.

Typical of human beings. (Sadly.)

“You think that you’re so clever, aren’t you?” The brunette had recovered and pulled on Irene’s hair, making Irene flinch slightly.

 

And Wendy hears something snap inside of her when Irene let out a cry.

 

          Before the two could slap and hurt Irene, Wendy found herself moving quickly and gripping tightly on the blonde’s hand, a blank expression on her face. She slowly looked up to stare at the blonde’s startled face. The brunette had backed away, with eyes widened. “S-Seungwan oppa!”

Oppa? Are these two right in the head?

Wendy found herself scowling. “If you hurt her, I will skin you alive and I am not afraid to open you up and kill you on the spot with my scalpel.” She wrapped her arm around Irene protectively, before twisting the blonde’s arms, making her whimper in pain. “Do me a favor and get out of my life.” She turned to the brunette who winced at her glare. “You too. If you’re part of my so-called fan club, then leave. Get kicked out. Because I could care less about going to jail when they find your bodies bloody and organs sticking out. In fact, I would hand them over to the police force myself.”

          She let go of the blonde and they stammered, tears forming in the corner of their eyes as they tried to run away. The crowd was shushed, shocked at what happened and seeing the usual, bubbly and angel Wendy turn into a cold-hearted devil. She looked at the crowd in disinterest. “I heard every one of your whisperings and thoughts. If you don’t want me to castrate you, leave. Now.

          The crowd quickly dispersed, leaving the two in the hallway. Wendy found herself sweating, and letting out a sigh of relief, pushing her glasses back up to the brink of her nose. “Good riddance.” She muttered.

“Excuse me?” She froze, hearing Irene’s sickeningly sweet voice. Wendy swallowed, dry and in need of water. “Y-Yes?” She replied, not turning around, afraid to see Irene after a long while. “Seungwan…She called you Seungwa oppa.

Suddenly, Wendy’s confidence deflated and she prays she would live until the next morning. She remembers that Irene gets crazy whenever she gets jealous. “You have the same name as my girlfriend.” Wendy blinked. Wait, what? She turned around to see Irene smiling brightly at her. “Thank you back there! You really helped me out.”

“I-Wait, what? Don’t you know who I am?” Wendy stuttered in disbelief.

Irene tilted her head. “Am I supposed to? Oh, you might misunderstand. I’m not from this university so I really have no idea who you are.” She bowed apologetically and Wendy felt dumbfounded.

“So if you’d mind helping me out again, do you know a Wendy Son? I’m her girlfriend and I’m looking for her.” The way Irene smiled while thinking of Wendy didn’t go unnoticed. Her eyes twinkled with mirth and her lips formed a lopsided smile (the smile Wendy fell in love with). But another thing she noticed was how her eyes tried to keep themselves awake and the foundation on her face failed to keep Wendy from seeing the large bags under her eyes. She trailed her eyes along Irene’s body, realizing that she had gotten a lot thinner than the last time they saw each other.

“You haven’t been eating well, have you?” Wendy frowned, blurting out her question. Irene blinked in puzzlement before laughing, her arm unconsciously rubbing her other nervously. “I-um…Yeah. It’s been hard these past few days.” Her voice was husky and sent tingles throughout Wendy’s body. Wendy grabbed her arm and pulled her closer, eyebrows scrunched up as she gently touched Irene’s face. “That’s unhealthy. You should eat more. You’ll pass out during dance practices if you continue this! And in the first place, what are you doing here? Today’s Thursday, you have a class in an hour! And it takes forty-five minutes for you to reach back to your school.” Wendy clicked her tongue. She checked to see the time on the clock above them. “Oh no! You have less than forty-five minutes!” Wendy panicked.

Irene didn’t respond.

“Irene? Why aren’t you saying anything?”

          Irene stared at her and Wendy realized everything she’d said. That made Wendy stiffened. Irene looked at her suspiciously and Wendy stepped back. “I-Um-I…” Irene took a step forward, her eyebrows raised, until she had Wendy back against the lockers, not minding the people who passed behind them. “First of all, oppa. How did you know that I dance? And how do you know where my school is located? How do you know my schedule? And most importantly, how do you know my name?”

Crap.

“I…um…uh…” Wendy avoided looking at Irene in the eyes, afraid the woman would recognize her. She didn’t imagine this. Now that she thought about it, she never knew what to answer to Irene when she does come see her.

(Because Wendy never thought Irene would.)

“Wait…” Irene’s voice faltered and she closes her eyes when Irene raised her hand and took Wendy’s horribly styled glasses.

“…Wendy? Seungwan?”

          Wendy swallowed, smiling nervously at Irene who looked at her in shock and amusement. “H-Hey, Joohyun unnie. How are you?”

“Explain. Now.”

~.~.~.~

          It turns out that Irene had the whole day off. Her dance showcase was finished and they also won a competition in those two weeks that Wendy decided to ignore her calls. She had followed Wendy to her classroom and waited for her to finish when Wendy told her that she couldn’t explain at the moment. This made Wendy freak out and also because most of her classmates couldn’t concentrate on whatever Taeyeon was teaching as some of them were glancing at Irene who had her eyes on Wendy the whole time.

When the bell rang, Taeyeon signaled Wendy to stay after class and Wendy obliged, not wanting to face Irene just yet.

“Ms. Son, I surely hope this wouldn’t happen again.” Taeyeon said sternly as she asked Wendy to stay behind after hearing about the commotion that she had created in the morning.

“Y-Yes, Ms. Kim. I won’t get into a fight again.”

“No, not that.” Taeyeon shook her head. “I’m actually grateful that you shut those two obsessed fans of yours. They were causing trouble everywhere, and boasting about you as if you’re their girlfriend.” Wendy flushed, embarrassed. Taeyeon shoot a glance at Irene who was staring daggers at them. She gulped. “Your girlfriend…Um, next time please ask her to not stare at you so obviously during classes. I know that you’re pretty, and she’s pretty too, has a great as well-”

“What? Were you checking her out?” Wendy demanded, forgetting that she was speaking to her teacher for a moment. She apologizes after, soullessly.

“Never mind that, but please tell her not to do that next time.” Taeyeon finished.

Oh, I definitely will.

          Wendy headed out and Irene only followed her with her eyes. “That-That’s my last class for today. Are you hungry? No, stupid question. Let’s go out and eat, the food here stinks.” Wendy babbled, still trying to avoid Irene’s gaze. When Irene didn’t say anything, Wendy assumed that she agreed so she hesitantly pulled Irene along with her to a nearby café.

When they found a table and placed their orders, Irene finally said something, albeit very, very calmly. “So, Seungwan. Might like to tell me what’s up with you these past few weeks?” Wendy fiddled with her thumbs, quietly fidgeting under Irene’s piercing gaze.

“I…um…I was dared not to…”

“And you followed through?” Irene sent her a ridiculous look as if she thought dares shouldn’t be followed. “I…I promised them…” She then continued to explain what happened the day she called Irene to ask her out, and Irene listened intently, even when the waitress had come back with their orders-A mocha latte for Wendy and red bean slush for Irene.

“…So that’s what happened.” Wendy finished. “I-I was upset that you didn’t even tell me about your showcase…I-I mean, I would have gone to even if something important comes up!” Wendy whined. Irene had closed her eyes and massaged her forehead, a frown on her velvet lips.

“Wait…this is a lot to take in…So this Joy and Yeri made you wear this outfit as well? And they told you to not answer my calls?”

There’s one thing scarier than Joy and Yeri combined. And that is when Irene is willing to up her game. Those two are dead. But I think I’ll be the first one. Wendy thought, shaking slightly from the thought of Irene having vengeance. “Y-Yes.” But serves them right. Irene let out a sigh.

“…Are you still upset about my answer?” Irene frowned, her eyes fluttering open as she stares into Wendy’s blank ones.

“No. You don’t know how much I missed you too.” Wendy whispered. “It’s just…I was so excited and expected you to agree on going out with me. It didn’t occur to me how much I actually really wanted to see you until you started texting me after such a long while,” She pauses, “And it struck me. How little we communicated these days. I was scared that you forgot about me and the thought about how you spend more time with other people while you dance just scared me that…that you might fall for someone else.”

Wendy had never understood what made couples afraid of losing each other; especially the ones with long-distanced relationships. She never understood why some of her friends would cry and worry about their other half cheating on them. Wendy never understood their fears until she experienced them for herself.

Sure, they trusted each other. They loved each other a lot. But when their communication started becoming less and less, Wendy started to think otherwise.

Such are the fears of couples.

“Did it not cross your mind that I thought the same?” Irene chuckled weakly.

Irene had her eyes look outside of the glass. They were sitting near the very end of the café. Irene had a far-away look in her eyes which scared Wendy even more. But when the older girl had turned back to her, Wendy found herself looking back. Now she was reminded just how beautiful Irene was. With her face looking like it took years for heavens to sculpt her face, with such careful consideration, seeing those cat-like eyes, high nose bridge and beautiful, and soft-looking thin, velvet lips. Her skin was milky white like a porcelain doll and another thought bothered Wendy.

What was Irene up to during their ‘space?’

Was she doing well?

But Wendy knows. Irene had lost weight and judging from her tired eyes, she hadn’t slept very well either. Suddenly she felt very horrible. She had been blind to not be able to see that Irene was also worried about her; about their relationship.

“Oh, no…” Wendy mumbled, feeling depressed when it hit her in the face. “I’m so sorry, Hyun-ah. I’m so sorry for making you worry.” She whispered as she reached out to caress Irene’s face, making Irene turn her gaze back to her. She tried for a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes.

“No, I’m sorry too. I should have…I should have made time for us as well.” She apologizes, trying to blink the tears back. “N-No! I should have been more understanding! I shouldn’t have been thinking of myself. That was stupid of me!” Wendy cursed herself and swore under her breath. Irene let out a breath of air as her trembling hand went up to take Wendy’s in hers.

“I…the reason why I didn’t agree wasn’t just because of the showcase…Why I didn’t invite you…um…It was because I thought you might distract me during the performance.” Irene chuckled at Wendy’s shocked expression. “What? Is that what you think of me?” Wendy was hurt and Irene quickly countered, “No! It’s because I wanted to dance for you when we would be alone!”

“…What?” Irene looked down shyly. “I…It’s um…I want the dance to be special…I actually created a different dance for the same song…I was planning to show you when we had enough time to go out on a date…I wanted to-I should have told you.” Irene chewed on her bottom lip, shooting a worried glance at Wendy who looked back at her in a daze.

          Then Wendy remembered how Seulgi also stopped spending time with Joy for a while just because she was finishing up her project that was dedicated to her. Wendy’s eyes glistened as she thought about it. “I…” Her voice faltered.

“Joohyun, thank you…” Wendy couldn’t stop the grin from forming on her face. She stood up and sat beside Irene who looked startled but quickly relaxed when Wendy wrapped her arms around her back and pulled her into a tight hug. Irene buried her face in Wendy’s white shirt, missing this warmth that she hadn’t had for a while. She returned the hug and her ears turned red. Wendy smelled like her favorite fabric softener.

After the quiet moment, they broke the hug and Irene stared into the brown pool of eyes, intimately. “I must say, you look quite the handsome fellow.” Irene giggled before cupping Wendy’s face in her hands and connected their lips. (She wanted to do so much more but maybe not in front of the eyes of the public.) When they broke the kiss, she panted before grinning like a Cheshire cat, her eyes full of mischief.

“Now…mind introducing me to this Joy and Yeri?”

Wendy kept the smile on her face, although her widened eyes that held fear in them says otherwise.

 

~.~.~.~

          Wendy brought Joy, Seulgi, and Yeri to the same café she had taken Irene to a week after. She could finally stop wearing the outrageous outfit that she had been dared to wear for a month. She assured the three that she would pay, raising the suspicions of the two devils and Seulgi happily agreeing. (Joy had to agree because she definitely didn’t want Seulgi and Wendy to be alone. Together. Hell no, not on Joy’s watch.)

“So…what are we doing here exactly? Why are you being nice?” Joy shot a suspicious look towards Wendy. “Did this Irene unnie finally break up with you?” Yeri asked bluntly. Suddenly Wendy didn’t feel guilty at all. Seulgi shot an apologetic look at Wendy.

“Yeri, don’t be like that!”

“Oh, c’mon, Seulgi unnie! We’ve never met this Irene before so maybe Wendy unnie is tricking us!” Seulgi was about to speak up, but Wendy cut her off. “She’s very real. Seulgi has already seen her once.” Joy and Yeri turned to Seulgi with underlying curiosity in their eyes. “Really? Only once?” And Wendy grinned. “Actually, the reason why we’re here is because Irene found out everything about the bet.”

That made Joy and Yeri freeze before staring at Wendy with alarm.

“What?”

“She asked to meet you guys.”

          Joy laughed a little. “Wendy unnie, don’t be like that. Are you sure Irene did? Are you trying to scare us?” Yeri shrugged. “Never heard of you guys meeting. When did you? Oh! I heard about the commotion you did in the hallways last week! What was that about?” This piqued the three’s interests. Wendy swallowed. “Irene came to visit last week. It’s because you guys told me not to call her so she went to find me herself.”

“Oh! Well, see? We’re awesome just like that. Your girlfriend came for you!” Yeri exclaimed, genuinely happy for her unnie.

“But it’s a bit unbelievable. I wasn’t able to see her. So I still don’t believe she exists.” Joy frowned.

          That’s when Wendy felt a pair of arms wrap around her neck and a weight on her head. Someone had laid her chin on top of her head. “Well, you should believe her.” Someone purred. Wendy twirled and smiled to see Irene staring back at her with loving eyes. “Unnie! You’re here!” She stood up and kissed Irene on the lips, in front of the three (who were left with mouths opened and bodies frozen.)

Irene chuckled, her eyes then lingered on Joy and Yeri (she assumed) who were talking about her. She raised a brow. “And I’m guessing these two were the ones who made you do everything?”

Wendy nodded furiously.

“Well…” She strutted towards the two. She was wearing a white crop top that showed off her abs, (Wendy definitely wasn’t staring!) even though she wasn’t one to wear revealing outfits. Her tattered jeans hugged her waist perfectly (And Wendy tried not to let water at the sight.)

          She analyzed the two younger girls’ faces, and even Seulgi was looking anywhere but her. Irene must have been using her cold stare because even Joy and Yeri started sweating. Irene backed away and smiled victoriously. “Thank you for making Wendy wear that. It was a very satisfying image.”

“What?!”

          Joy and Yeri quickly recovered and started cackling. Seulgi chuckled with them, secretly agreeing that Wendy did look adorable like that. “We like you already, unnie!” Yeri gave out a toothy smile. Irene squealed, and smiled. “You look so cute!” Irene gushed over Yeri and Wendy wanted to shout, No! She is not cute! She’s deceiving you!

But Irene had the face as if she was going to adopt Yeri as her own child. (And Wendy definitely didn’t want to be a parent of this devil spawn.)

          After a few more playful banters, Irene laid her hand on Wendy’s thigh before whispering in her ears. “Sit tight, my baby boy. We’re going to do a lot of catching up later. Physically.”

So maybe Wendy was grateful to Joy and Yeri.

A little bit.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

A/N: I definitely had fun writing.

Sometimes you guys need to have communication for this to work out, that you guys try to understand each other and make a way for it to work.

Thank you for reading, please subscribe, comment, and upvote if you liked the story.