Your Voice is Poison to My Ears Part II

Red and Blue Mix

2

“Maybe my soul mate lives in a different time. If it’s not during my lifetime, then maybe the next one. Star-crossed lovers if one might say.”

~.~.~.~

            Wendy Son Seungwan was a chirpy, bright fellow. She grew up in Canada after insisting that she would be fine on her own and wanted to go abroad.

            It wasn’t difficult for her to make friends after she worked four times harder on her English speaking skills; and she also won awards left and right, for music, academics and evens sports.

But Wendy always felt hollow inside.

She never had a boyfriend.

            Her friends would always gush over their lovers while Wendy would just smile and pretend to understand what they were feeling; that is until she felt it for the same gender. As Canada was an open country, being queer wasn’t strange and when she first came out to her family, they accepted her all the same.

She was still the same Wendy Son Seungwan.

“I look forward to the day where you’ll introduce us to the person you’ll marry.” Her father laughed airily, the wrinkles on his face disappearing as he grinned happily when Wendy graduated High School as valedictorian. Wendy remembers the chortle her mother let out, remembering that even though her mother often got sick, she was still optimistic about many things.

“That’s right, my darling. We hope you find the perfect girl for you and that you’d find a love like your father and I have.”

Wendy remembered smiling at that. “If I find that girl, I’ll introduce her to you before anyone else.”

“You better. And she better like fishing because we’ll be going on trips a lot.” Her father ‘threatened.’

            It was during a summer day when she met a peculiar, mute girl in the most secluded place in the library. Wendy was asked to bring a stack of newly brought in books in the history corner (which anyone would rarely go to), when she saw a woman with ebony hair, luscious and wavy and bounced behind her as she moved from shelf to shelf. Wendy watched as she struggled to take some from the top shelf and found it amusing all the same.

The woman was wearing a polo and a fading red long skirt and Wendy found her sense of fashion unique and peculiar.

She looked no older than Wendy.

            She saw that the stranger had taken out a cook book and frowns at the irresponsible person who would put a cook book in the history section. “Perhaps you are learning how to bake historical treats, Miss?” Wendy remembered spilling out involuntarily.

The woman rapidly spun around to meet her eyes and Wendy felt like the woman took her breath away. Her skin was milky white, (whiter than Wendy’s even!) eyelashes long and well-taken care of; her pouty and velvet lips were soft and thin but so kissable-looking.

And her eyes.

            Her eyes were blue; A swirling colors of the different shades that Wendy had to stop herself staring. It felt like she could see the ocean inside, deep and analytical, gentle but careful.

Wendy was surprised to find out that she was mute.

Joohyun.

Joohyun. It was a beautiful name. It may be a common one in South Korea, but they were in a foreign country where finding Asians in the same place as you seldom. (At least, in Wendy’s case.)

            Wendy felt bad that the woman must have struggled writing because Wendy couldn’t understand sign language. (She might be good with her hands, but she’s still terrible at some fields.) But she found it very interesting. Wendy did know how to bake-but it all turns into a pile of black mush and crispy burnt disgusting food.

Okay, so Wendy wasn’t good at baking either.

            She was definitely interested in baking and wanted to learn. But learning cuisine would make her spend her savings since her allowance was only enough to make her survive school. She remembered her heart soaring when she received that text from Joohyun agreeing with the baking date.

Good. It was the only time Wendy would be able to speak to her without worrying about being late to class.

‘Eomma, I think she may be the one.’

Wendy was a skeptic. She always wants to make sure that everything she’s doing and getting into was the right thing for her. It was hard for her to trust in people even if she had so many friends.

She had many friends, but no close friends or best friends.

            Now she doesn’t only want to be close or ‘besties’ with Joohyun, she wants to know if she made a right decision in choosing the person to meet her parents. She had girlfriends before; but she never really let them meet her parents.

Thus, her relationships were all short-lived.

“Maybe I could take you to meet my parents!”

            Wendy meant every single word. Maybe just as friends first. Maybe they could be something more if they spend more time with each other. Maybe something could happen between them.

Wendy was a hopeless romantic.

            She remembered seeing Joohyun disappear from her side when she was sharing the cake with the whole dorm and she had to crane her neck and stand on tiptoes to spot the woman who was running away after escaping the bustling crowd. Maybe Joohyun was busy and she must have told Wendy but the latter didn’t understand.

So Wendy decided to text her every day since their last encounter. Wendy would spend her time alternately between the library and the oak tree where she first spotted Joohyun sketching things she found interesting.

But Joohyun didn’t reply to her once.

            Wendy even concluded that Joohyun must have possibly been a part of her imagination and even thought of going to see a psychiatrist. No gorgeous woman should exist. But maybe Joohyun did.

She remembered during their online conversations when she sent a photo of herself pouting while holding burnt eggs.

Wendy: I’ve been practicing for our baking date! The eggs taste horrible…

     She remembered Irene sending an emoji laughing her off. Then Wendy remembered how her heart felt light and beat rapidly in her chest when Joohyun sent a photo of her;

            Sparkling blue eyes staring at the camera, a lazy smile on her face. The bed sheets under her looked messy and Wendy chuckled at the thought that it was either Joohyun only woke up, judging from her black strands of her that stuck to her face, giving Wendy a good visual image of Joohyun just waking up in the morning next to her, or it was all scripted and Joohyun had taken a lot of pictures and chose one to send to her.

Wendy prefers the latter; Joohyun doing an effort just to look good in the picture.

            Wendy was very persistent in pursuing a person. But if that person would tell her to back off, then she would willingly do it.

So when Joohyun said a silent goodbye, Wendy should have backed off.

But Joohyun never said anything to make her stop.

If there was something-like a burden-that Joohyun was hiding and carrying alone, Wendy would want to know. She believed that they had some kind of connection that they made even if they only spend two days together and a week of texting and chatting.

So Wendy texted her every day, until last month.

            She got a call from Calais about her mother’s treatment for cancer. She didn’t doubt her decision to drop out of Engineering School and book a flight to go back to Europe. If her mother needed her, then Wendy would willingly drop everything and leave. Wendy needed to focus and support her mother.

            She remembered the feeling of heartbreak and the horrible feeling of being useless when she saw how her mother had lost so much weight, her face ashen and more wrinkles appearing on her face. Wendy couldn’t keep the tears from falling when she saw how her mother was too weak to walk that she would often use a wheelchair.

And Wendy also remembered that one time when she woke up in the middle of the night in their beach house in Calais because of a noise and saw that her mother was trying to walk only to fall down and stumble on her knees.

Then she would struggle to get up and walk again.

It pained Wendy.

.

“Are you sure?”

            Wendy shot a worried look towards her parents. The family was standing outside a ferry headed to America. Wendy had tried to reason and convince her parents that it would do them better and faster to reach America on an air flight but they refused; wanting to travel on the sea just as they always have.

“We are sure.” Her mother breathed out softly, reaching out to caress Wendy’s cheek. “Take care of the house for us, dear. Your auntie Tiffany will come back here with her husband.” Wendy’s breath hitch, as she clenched her fist at her mother’s words that sounded final as if it was already a goodbye.

“Don’t be like that, mom. You’ll come back here and we’ll take care of the house together.” Wendy weakly smiled. Her father chuckled before clapping her hands and ruffling Wendy’s ombre hair. “That’s my girl. Be strong, Seungwan! We’re proud of how beautiful you’ve grown.” Her father’s face was filled with pride for her daughter and then it turned to a mischievous one.

“So…Have you met any woman you fancy back in the maple country?”

Wendy couldn’t help but flush at his question, making her parents holler and coo. “I…um…I haven’t seen her since…since summer. But if we see each other again, I want her to meet you guys. She said that she would love to come to Calais with me.” The bubbly excitement and fondness in her voice failed to pass her parents’ ears.

They glanced at each other knowingly. “We’d love to see her, dear. If you want her to meet us, then she must be the person you really would want to spend your life with.” Her mother coughed out, but the genuine happiness in her face made Wendy feel better.

“Yeah…She likes baking…I think she would love fish too.” Wendy chuckled, trying to lighten up the atmosphere.

            The ferry let out a low growl, smoke puffed into the blue sky. “We’ll see you soon, Seungwannie. Remember that we love you.”

Wendy stood still, waiting for the ferry to leave her sight before she her heels and walked back to the beach house near the lighthouse.

.

.

.

It was a day after when Wendy was watching the news with her auntie Tiffany and uncle Nickhun and was informed of the accident. A ship headed to America sank for unknown reasons(There must be!) and the news flashed each and every faces of the passengers on television.

Wendy waited for survivors.

 

 

“The rescue team has already been dispatched to the location where the ship sank, however there were no traces left and we’re still looking for survivors.”

It took another day for the news to announce that no one had survived and they closed the case.

 

~.~.~.~

Joohyun, calm down.

            Irene wildly thrashed against the waters as She tries to hold her down. Irene glares through tears, her legs running non-stop until she got away. “Calm down?! How can I calm down?! Did you hear her?! You obviously know everything about her life! But why couldn’t you make any exceptions to Your rule?!”

Joohyun, you should know by now that I have to survive. Humans use Me to survive, I have to survive to help them as well.

“By killing them!” Irene spat, kicking at the waters uselessly.

What’s gotten you so riled up? What makes that woman different from all the past passengers?

            Although the Ocean sounded calm, Irene could see the underlying worry in Her voice. Irene’s lips quivered and she tried to push the thoughts of Wendy smiling at her in the very back of her mind. “She cared more about her husband than herself.” Irene said quietly.

Even if you did save her, Joohyun, it would be useless. She would have died months later because she was sick. I am doing her child a favor by taking her away now.

Joohyun stood still on top of the waters at the news. Wendy never mentioned her mother being sick. She looked dumbfounded but the hate for the Ocean was still too visible and heavy on the heart.

“She could have lived for a few more months to spend with her child.” Irene said, sadness radiating from everything about her.

Irene had killed two people precious to Wendy.

How can she face Wendy now?

            She imagined how Wendy’s face would contort into horror and sadness and hate. What if she knew that Irene was the monster that took away her parents? What if Wendy knew about her?

Will she hate Irene?

Will she not want to see her anymore?

            Her chest tightened as she felt her heart unimaginably sad. “Just kill me already.” Irene murmured, dropping on her knees but was still on top of Her. Joohyun I can’t do that. I don’t want to lose you.

“You’ll lose me twenty years later, what’s stopping you? You didn’t have any mercy with killing Taeyeon when she accidentally killed her family. You didn’t have any mercy when Anna refused to sing. I disobeyed You. It’s useless to let me live. Kill me off.” Irene breathed.

You were the only one who wanted to get close to Me, Joohyun. You were the one who was curious and wanted to learn more about Me unlike your sisters. I gave Taeyeon a chance and forgave her because she was mentally unstable. But I knew that if she had a mental breakdown, it wouldn’t do her to continue living.

I love you Joohyun please understand that I’m doing what’s best for you.

            For the first time, Irene wobbled as she stood up, eyes clouded with anger. “Well, I hate You. I hate what You make us do. I hate how I have to live for You. I’m living without a purpose for myself unlike those I’ve killed! They had dreams!” Irene cried.

“You don’t know how hard it is dreaming about them whenever I sleep. You don’t know how much it hurts seeing me take away their lives, their dreams, their love.” She trembled, finally letting her suppressed anger spew out like arrows.

She didn’t care if the Ocean gets hurt.

“You’re not human so you don’t know. Just give me time for myself, please.” Irene finished before running again, closing her mind off and locking it to make sure the Ocean doesn’t know where she was headed.

Joohyun, I beg of you…I lived ever since the start of the world. I provide humans the essentials to live. I do know how hard it is, how heartbreaking it is to have someone taken away from you. How many Sirens have I let go only for them never to remember Me by?

They go on with their lives so happily…I just wanted someone to stay with Me a little longer.

I’m sorry.

            Irene didn’t respond and the waves continued roaring and splashing against her. She furiously wiped away the tears blurring her eyesight, and then she tumbled into the water, letting it carry her somewhere.

Then she blacks out.

.

            Irene woke up when night has fallen. She laid down in a white sandy beach, the sea salt sparkling black dress of hers soak and she felt her feet touching the incoming waves of the Ocean. She got up, eyes red and puffy, hands trembling as she recalled what happened; had it been days? Irene hoped she wouldn’t wake up until twenty years later then maybe everything would be fine.

Joohyun, where are you? It’s been a week. Please answer Me! I can’t get a hold of you, your sisters are getting worried sick.

Well, she got her answer.

            Irene stayed mum, the Ocean’s voice prying at her every thought. As long as Irene doesn’t reveal where she is or speak to Her, She won’t know where she is. Irene herself didn’t even know where she was stranded in. She looked around carefully, seeing a large and worn-out lighthouse in the west side of the beach, it’s light blinking on and off.

She let out a sigh, hugging her legs together, shivering from the cold.

She was immune to getting sick or having wounds but she wasn’t immune to getting affected by the weather.

Great, more flaws of the Ocean to note of.

            She let out a sigh and froze when she felt footsteps in the sand. “Excuse me?” Irene slowly turned around and she almost let out a scream, her face paling until she looked like a ghost.

It was the person she longed to see.

            Wendy’s cheeks were hollow and sunken and her chocolate brown eyes looked exhausted. Irene’s eyes trailed her arms, seeing that they’ve become thinner and bony than the last time they’ve seen each other which was almost a year ago. Her jawline was chiseled now, and she wore a black coat over a summer dress, slowly moving together with the sea breeze that made both of their hairs flow behind their backs.

            Irene had landed in Calais. She must have been thinking of that specifically to let the waters take her here. This is impossible. Irene thought. There were millions of beaches in the world and she had to land just in the place she thought she wouldn’t ever want to step on ever.

“Joohyun?” Wendy’s voice was just above a whisper, her eyes widening and she quickly acted by taking off her coat and draping it over Irene’s back. She bent down and looked concernedly at Irene’s pale and blank face.

“Joohyun, are you alright? Where did you-I haven’t seen you since summer.” Wendy touched Irene’s wet hair strand and tucked it behind her ears. “You’re drenched! Were you out for a swim?” Wendy panicked before getting up, her hand finding Irene’s.

“Come with me.”

            Irene found herself unmoving. Wendy tugged her gently but she sat still, eyes still on Wendy. “Joohyun, are you okay?” Wendy bent down again, hands on Irene’s cheeks, checking for any injuries.

Irene shook her head.

‘No, I’m not. How can I be okay when I took them away from you?’

            Irene wanted to scream. Instead, silent tears fell down her face and her lips trembled uncontrollably. She opened , mouthing out ‘I’m so sorry, Wendy.’ Wendy examined her face before her eyes, although tired and losing the spark in them, softened and Irene could see the light again.

“You did nothing wrong.” Wendy whispered before pulling Irene in a hug. I did. I did…I’ve been doing everything wrong for eighty years. I have done nothing right.

“Let’s get you all cleaned up, okay?”

            Irene didn’t deserve this. Irene deserves to be slapped by Wendy. She deserves to just drown if it was possible. She let Wendy drag her but noticed that Wendy was walking slowly, trying to match her pace with the older. They reached a nearby cottage made of oak woods. When they entered, a woman who looked like she would be in her thirties greeted them.

“Seungwan, where have you been? You weren’t at the lighthouse! I thought you’ve done something drastic!” The older woman had puffy black hair and plump lips. Wendy shook her head before intertwining her hand with Irene’s.

“I found a friend of mine wandering outside.” Wendy explained curtly. “Joohyun, this is Tiffany. Tiffany, this is Joohyun. She doesn’t talk so don’t be a chatterbox.”

            Tiffany seemed to have only realized that Wendy was with someone. She looked surprised before fussing over Irene. “You’re drenched! Stay there; I’ll go get you a towel! Nickhun, Wendy has a guest!”

            Tiffany ran to the second floor of the cozy house while a man came out of another door, which seemed to be the kitchen. He had tussled brown hair and a sharp jawline, wearing a plain grey shirt and khaki pants. “Wendy has guests? Wendy, you never told us someone was coming!”

“I…didn’t know.” Wendy spoke softly. She glanced at Irene who avoided her gaze. “I didn’t know I would see her again.” She chuckled and Irene felt more ashamed remembering how she never replied to Wendy and that she left the younger hanging.

            “Uncle, please get us a notebook and a pen. Joohyun is um…unable to talk.” Wendy said, still not letting go of Irene’s hand, instead, she tightened her hold but not tight enough to hurt Irene. “Let’s go upstairs.” Irene nodded mutely and followed the girl upstairs and was attacked by a white towel being draped over her head.

“I’m sorry, I forgot to wash the other towels.” Tiffany spoke, before reaching over to help Irene dry herself off. “Auntie, let me do it. I’ll give her a pair of my clothes.” Irene bowed before reluctantly following Wendy who ushered her inside the room in the corner of the wooden cottage.

            Her room was small and simple; with a bed and a nightstand and a large closet besides it. Above the bed was a window that showed the Ocean, dark and murky.

            “You must’ve gone through a lot.” Wendy tried to smile but it was different from what Irene remembered. Wendy must have already known. Irene stood still by the doorway, hands lifelessly hanging by her sides. “Do you want to use the shower? I’ll prepare your clothes while you do so you don’t get sick.”

I won’t need it. Irene chewed on her lower lip.

            Wendy glanced at her before sighing. “Do you remember how you got here?” Irene shook her head. I thought of this place. Of you. “I see. It’s dangerous to travel by the ocean right now. I’m glad you’re safe.” The last four words were genuinely stated and Irene felt guiltier by the minute. She decided to take the offer of showering.

.

            When she came out, clad in a towel and hair dripping wet, at least she got Wendy’s attention. Wendy was staring into space, while sitting on the edge of her navy blue bed. Wendy’s lips curled into a small smile and Irene was glad that it was a smile that showed Wendy’s amusement. “You look good. Why don’t you sleep like that?” Wend joked and Irene found herself smiling back.

“Here. Since it must be cold, wear this.” Wendy stood, gathering the clothes that were placed on the bed and gave them to Irene. It was a black shirt with an unfamiliar face printed on the front and grey sweatpants. When she changed after, Wendy whistled. “You look better than me wearing that.”

            Irene signed, No, and Wendy seemed to remember. “Okay. Let’s go down now, my relatives must be worried.” When they got down, Nickhun handed her a sketchpad and a ballpoint pen and all of them sat in the living room, Wendy and Irene sitting together.

“So Joohyun, where’ve you been?” Nickhun asked, curiosity in his voice. Tiffany nudged him. “I’m sorry, Joohyun, dear. Ignore him.”

            Irene only shook her head before writing, I got stranded. I can’t remember anything. When I woke up, I was washed-up on the shore and realized that it’s been five days since the accident.

            This shocked them. “You were on that ship?” Tiffany pressed on. Irene gripped tightly on the sketchpad, unable to look at Wendy who was staring at her in shock. They took this as an answer that Irene was traumatized and didn’t want to talk about it. Irene nodded. “There’s a survivor…But the news said that there were no survivors out of the hundred and seventy-eight passengers.”

“Oh, please, dear. You know how we can never trust the media. They’ve searched for the lost ship and for any living passengers but found no one. Joohyun must have been carried by the waves to this place.”

That’s technically right.

“Then shouldn’t we turn her over to the government?”

            The heartless comment made Irene panic and her hand quickly found it reaching for Wendy’s. Wendy snapped out of the shock and understood immediately. “No.” Wendy bit her lower lip. Nickhun and Tiffany looked at her in confusion. “It’s useless. She doesn’t remember anything. I don’t want them forcing her to remember and she’s been through enough crappy things already.”

            Wendy’s hand held Irene’s in hers comfortingly, before pleading with her relatives. “Let her stay here. She has no place to go to.”

Irene gaped at Wendy who only looked determined. Nickhun and Tiffany swallowed. “But dear…No offense, Joohyun, but you’re still a stranger to us.” None taken. “She’s not a stranger!” Wendy exclaimed, making Irene wince. The couple didn’t seem surprised at Wendy’s outburst. The younger took out her phone, scrolled through something before shoving it in front of Nickhun and Tiffany’s faces.

“Here. She’s not a stranger. She’s my friend.”

Irene blinked before trying to get a glimpse of what Wendy was showing the two and saw that it was the selfie she had sent months ago; Wendy never deleted it or forgot about her.

            Nickhun and Tiffany glanced at each other for a long while, Wendy staring them down before the former sighed. “Okay, okay. We get it. You know each other. I’ll prepare the guest room.” “It’s okay, I’ll prepare it myself. I’ll let Joohyun take my room.” Irene blinked before tapping Wendy on the shoulder. She signed, No three times but Wendy only shook her head. “I’ll go prepare the food.” Tiffany muttered, leaving Nickhun awkwardly sitting in front of the two women, listening in to their ‘conversation.’

“It’s okay. It’s more comfy in my room. We don’t have a bed in the guest room, only a futon.”

It’s okay! Irene signed again, thinking Wendy understood. Wendy chuckled. “I’ll be fine, Joohyun. You can go ahead and eat. Aunt Tiffany had already prepared the food. I’ll go upstairs to prepare.” Irene stubbornly shook her head, crossing her arms and pouted.

“Your pout does not affect me, Joohyun.” Wendy quirked a brow before dusting herself off.

Irene only pouted more, her brows furrowing in concentration, hoping she looked convincing that Wendy shouldn’t take the guest room.

“Stop it.”

            Irene blinked, her blue eyes glistening. Wendy’s eye twitched. “No, Joohyun. Don’t you dare.” Irene started sniffing. “Joohyun I swear-”

“Why don’t you two just sleep in your room, Wendy?” Nickhun, who couldn’t take it anymore finally spoke up. He was already charmed by Irene’s pout and her crying would break his heart. The two quickly turned to him. Irene nodded furiously and gave a thumbs up while Wendy looked as if her soul left her body.

“No, that’s-the bed is too small!” Wendy exclaimed.

Irene scoffed before writing something as the two paid attention to her.

I don’t want to be alone tonight. Please, Seungwan-ah?

Reluctantly, Wendy slides back onto the couch, sighing, shaking her head.

“Fine.”

            Nickhun clapped his hands before stretching his arms. “Okay, finally now that it’s decided, let’s go eat, Joohyun.” Irene looked up confused before gesturing to Wendy. The smile on Nickhun’s face faded. “She’s…She’s on a diet these days.” Nickhun hesitated, Wendy keeping silent. Irene blinked twice before standing up and tugging Wendy’s hand.

Please eat with us?

            Wendy looked up at her blue eyes that seemed to captivate her. “I…I really don’t feel like eating, Joohyun.” She rejected softly. Irene looked dejected. She made a gesture, opening and her thumb and finger making a small gesture, Only a little?

            Then Irene pointed to her stomach and caressed her arm then at Wendy. Eat. You look like you haven’t eaten in a while. Wendy observed her gestures with interest before getting up. Irene quickly grabbed her arm. She pointed to Wendy once more and then at her and formed an ‘X.’ If you won’t eat, I won’t either.

They had a staring contest, no one giving in and Nickhun only observed Wendy’s cold demeanor that started cracking under Irene’s protruding and forward gaze. ‘Seungwan’s affected this much, huh.’ Nickhun smiled softly before sneaking out to leave the girls be. Wendy stomped her foot in frustration, knowing that she was going to lose.

“Maybe for tonight.” She said quietly and Irene’s eyes lit up, a victorious smile on her lips.

Wendy found herself smiling back, a real and honest one this time.

            She let Irene drag her to where the kitchen was and when they entered, Tiffany looked at Wendy in surprised, eyes blinking and trying to hold back tears. “You’re going to eat, Wendy?” Wendy only nodded and the two women sat beside each other. Wendy grabbed the spoon and fork offered to her by Irene before getting a small portion of fried fish and rice.

“You should eat slowly so that your stomach won’t react.” Tiffany murmured.

            Tiffany looked at Irene gratefully. Irene only bowed her head before eating, momentarily forgetting what bothered her.

“Thank you, Joohyun. She hadn’t eaten anything in a week.”

            Irene glanced at Wendy who didn’t mind Nickhun talking about her. Irene shook her head, staring at the fried crab in front of her. ‘This feels like eating a distant cousin of mine.’ “You don’t like seafood?” Wendy asked, peeking onto her plate. Tiffany had cooked a lot, crabs, milk fish, and clams. Irene only took the crab.

Irene shrugged, nervously fidgeting under Wendy’s gaze.

“Well, try it. You told me you’ll eat if I eat. I’m eating now.” Wendy said before biting into the fish and chewing, looking at Irene with eyebrows wiggling. Irene puffed out her cheeks before struggling to open the crab. ‘How do you eat this?’ Irene looked over to Wendy helplessly.

“Let me.”

            Wendy took her utensils before breaking the crab’s legs and arms, making Irene flinch. ‘Sorry, crab. Maybe you’ll get reincarnated someday.’

“This is the part you eat.” Wendy took something from the inside of the crab, making Irene’s eyes almost bulging out of their sockets. She distanced herself from Wendy who raised the spoon. Irene shook her head furiously. Nooooo!

            Wendy rolled her eyes before inching the spoon closer to Irene’s mouth. Irene opened it unwillingly and Wendy shoved the spoon inside. “See? Does it taste good?” Wendy asked as Irene chewed silently before swallowing. She blinked before a happy smile broke through and she gave another thumbs up.

            Wendy looked satisfied before speaking up again. “Told you.” A smug look on her face. Irene ignored her and devoured the crab as if she hadn’t eaten for days. (Irene hadn’t eaten for a month, and even Sirens get hungry after a while.)

            “So where’ve you been since summer? I always went to the oak tree or sometimes the library just to see you.” Wendy mumbled. Irene stopped eating before gesturing with her hands; moving them forward.

“You had to move?”

Irene nodded.

“But you could’ve told me…” Irene frowned before taking Wendy’s arm and used her finger to write something. “Sudden?” Wendy recognized. Irene nodded, a grimace on her face. “Okay.” Wendy answered, before returning back to watching Irene eat another plate of crabs.

            They forgot the watching pair of eyes looking at them in interest. Tiffany sniffled before turning to Nickhun with an understanding look. ‘They look so good together.’

‘Seungwannie hadn’t eaten and talked this much since then.’

            All in all, it was a satisfying dinner. When the two women went up and readied to sleep, Wendy spoke. “That ferry…You were at St. Ana?” Irene noticed Wendy glancing at the Ocean, a longing look on her face. Irene nodded mutely. Not on but she knew what happened. Wendy sighed before lying on her bed, patting the spot next to her. Irene sat beside her.

“Remember when I told you that I would bring you to meet my parents someday?” Wendy started and Irene nodded solemnly.

“I…They were on that ship.” Wendy whispered and Irene would have barely heard it. Irene tightened her grip on the sheets under her.

“It’s…strange, I guess. I mean, you were there and so were my parents. So does that mean that you’ve been here for a few days before boarding the ship?” Irene felt the bed move and looked to see Wendy tilting her head at her. “They wanted to meet you. I told them about you and my mother had to go to America to get treatment for her cancer.”

So the Ocean wasn’t lying. Irene dreaded this feeling.

            “The feeling of loss…It’s a bit hollow. When I heard the news…I just…I don’t know.” Wendy admitted and Irene felt sorrier as each minute passes. “It’s ironic how the thing they loved and adored the most took them away.” Wendy chuckled bitterly.

“But…” Wendy sat up, looking at Irene in the eyes.

“You survived. I-I can’t bear if I found out that you would have-you’d-” Wendy choked the words out. “-If you would have died as well. They didn’t show your face at the news too…”

            This made Irene think. ‘I’m so selfish.’ Irene had wanted to be killed off for her disobedience. She didn’t think about Joy or Seulgi or even Yeri. She remembered the horrified look on Seulgi’s face as she tried to stop Irene from committing a grave mistake, or how Joy would always try to cheer her up by distracting her from her unhealthy obsession on collecting dead passengers biographies, or even baby Yeri who warmed up to her in no time. Irene gasped before her eyes watered.  Irene remembered warning Yeri what not to do while they sing and she had obediently followed her. Ironically, Irene didn’t follow her own advice.

I’m so stupid.

            What would they have felt? What would they have done if the Ocean did kill her? What if She killed Seulgi with her? Irene promised Seulgi she’d be her family. If Wendy was affected by her parents’ deaths, then what more of Irene? How will she affect Seulgi? They only had each other since they met. Irene took the sketchpad she had placed on the nightstand and scribbled down her thoughts.

Why?

We’ve only met for a few days.

Why would you care about me?

            Wendy read her words slowly before noticing Irene’s trembling hands that held the pad. Wendy’s eyes softened. “We click really well, don’t you think?” Wendy chuckled. “I just thought…I thought we had a connection to each other. Do you-Do you not feel the same?”

            Irene examined her face, seeing Wendy nervously chewing on her lower lip, eyes looking at anything else besides Irene. Irene tilted her head. Wendy was different from the others.

She treated Irene like a human being.

Like Irene was still human.

            She didn’t take advantage of Irene and did anything to her and Irene was grateful. She nodded shyly and Wendy chortled once again. “Just one day with you…Feels like a hundred years already. You listen to my rants without getting annoyed. Your sisters...” Wendy realized before looking at Irene with worry.

“Your sisters! Were they on the ship with you?”

Irene shook her head. I believe they’re worried but they know I’m alive. I’m a tough nut to crack. Irene wrote. Wendy sighed in relief. “Okay…So as I was saying, you look like you would love taking care of others. But keeps her own problems to herself.” Wendy eyed her, Irene only stiffening, staring back seriously.

“You’re carrying a burden that you want to keep to yourself. You let others think you’re fine but you’re not hiding it very well.” Wendy smiled gently as she hit the bull’s eye. Irene avoided her eyes and looked down ashamed.

“Why were you mouthing, I’m sorry?

            Wendy pressed on, a comforting hand placing itself on Irene’s. At first, Irene didn’t move at all and Wendy got worried that she must have made a mistake but then Irene took her pen and wrote it down again.

I saw them. I saw your parents.

Wendy sat frozen.

I saw your mother. I remember their faces in that picture on your dorm room’s wall. I wanted to save her, I was close. I wanted to save them, Seungwan, I really did.

But I couldn’t.

I’m so sorry.

            Irene let go of the sketchpad, feeling her heart break at the memory once again, the tears dripping down on her face as she let out a frustrated sigh and slapped herself. She continued slapping herself until Wendy forced her to stop.

“Tell me what happened.” Wendy breathed in shakily. “Don’t hurt yourself. You don’t deserve getting hurt.” She said softly. I don’t want to see a person I care about hurt herself. It hurts me too.

            It’s not as if Irene could tell Wendy the truth. She’d get both of them killed. With a trembling hand, she wrote quietly while Wendy held her other hand.

Your father had already fallen out of the ship. I saw your mother jump off the railings and trying to find her husband. I wasn’t able to do anything. I could have saved her. But I didn’t reach her in time. I was so shocked. That’s why you saw me at the beach, crying.

I killed them. I let them die.

I won’t be surprised if you hate me. I can’t ask for your forgiveness now.

            Irene could only stand up and look out the window, hearing the Ocean call for her once more. Joohyun, talk to Me. Please. Irene imagined Her pacing back and forth like a mother who lost her child. Wendy didn’t say anything. She stared at the sketchpad mindlessly and Irene thinks she wasn’t welcome anymore.

Maybe it would do her good if she does take the guest room.

            She slowly walked out of the door with a heavy heart.

            Wendy didn’t follow her or call out her name.

~.~.~.~

            Irene didn’t sleep. She stared at the ceiling with unease, while lying down on the futon and a thin blanket covering her. The Ocean’s cries in her head was getting louder and giving her a headache which should be impossible. She ignored it and was startled when she heard the door of the guest room open and her eyes fluttered to close and pretend she was asleep.

            She felt and heard footsteps getting near her and felt someone hovering over her. The stranger sighed and mumbled something. Irene stiffened, hearing that it was Wendy’s voice. “Joohyun, I know you’re awake. Scoot over.” Irene obeyed and scooted over before turning to her side to look at Wendy lying on the futon, staring back at her.

Will she kick Irene out?

Will she say the harsh words Irene had been dreaming of?

“I’m not mad at you.”

            Her heart almost stopped at Wendy’s words. She looked shocked and Wendy seemed to notice even in the dark room. There was only one window in the room, just like in Wendy’s. The moon shone brightly and covered Irene and Wendy’s skin in a silver glow. “You did nothing wrong. You didn’t murder them. You had to survive too.” Wendy whispered, as if she was still trying to convince herself.

“Don’t feel guilty, Joohyun. If I had to be thankful for one thing, is that you told me the truth.” Wendy chuckled, draping a purple blanket on both of them. Irene only had a grimace on her face, looking pained and regretting. “I know you tried. You tried to save her. That’s already enough. I don’t have to forgive you because you did nothing wrong.”

I did. I watched them die.

I let Her eat them.

I don’t deserve to live.

            “You deserve to live.” Wendy stared at her seriously, as if she had read Irene’s mind. “You’ve always had that sadness in your eyes ever since we met. As if you were carrying something you can’t let anyone else share. Joohyun, if you think you don’t deserve to live, then you’re wrong.”

“Ask everyone you’ve met. They don’t want you to die.”

But I don’t have a purpose for myself.

            Irene frowned gesturing to Wendy by pointing to her heart and at herself before shaking her head. She reached for Wendy’s arm under the sheets and wrote on it. What’s there to live for?

“If you were to ask me,” Wendy pauses, “I would ask you back. What kept you living all these years? What made you continue instead of killing yourself? Don’t you have your reason?”

The Ocean.

No.

It’s because I have to be there for my sisters.

I’m looking forward to my life after all of this is over.

I won’t remember everything I’ve done. I still have a third chance.

“You have a reason for continuing, Joohyun.” Wendy said. “Everyone isn’t born without a purpose. There has to be at least one. One reason that kept you going. If you’re living for the sake of others…If you’re living for the sake of something important to you…I think any reason would be enough as long as it keeps you going. As long as it’s not something that depresses you. If you think that your current reason for living isn’t enough, then…What do you think?” Wendy scooted closer and Irene closed her eyes.

            “If you’re living for the sake of others, then Joohyun…I think you’ve already shown them how much you love them. What do you want to do now?” Irene thinks momentarily, warily looking at Wendy who patiently waited. Then she ran her fingers across Wendy’s arm.

I want to fall in love.

And I want that person to love me back.

‘I’ve never gotten a chance. I died eighty years ago, at twenty-seven years old.’

            Wendy didn’t speak. Instead, she closed her eyes and snuggled closer to Irene, wrapping her arms around the older girl and giving her a hug. Irene blinked, her eyes getting watery. She sniffled and let out a sigh, feeling her heart opening up.

“I should be the one crying, you know.” Wendy joked.

            Irene punched her arm gently before touching the corner of the younger’s eyes. Then cry. Wendy chuckled before breathing deeply. “I think I’ve cried enough this week. There are more reasons to smile.” She scooted closer, examining Irene’s blue eyes that shone under the moonlight, cerulean swirling inside like a deep ocean. “Thank you. At least now I have some closure.”

            Wendy continued talking, about her life and about everything Irene didn’t know about her. “You know what? I just realized something.” It was two in the morning when Wendy’s eyes started getting droopy while Irene continued to listen. What? Irene rubbed Wendy’s cheek, luckily making her fall asleep.

“We should…We should always tell the people we care about how much we love them. Maybe everyday…”

Wendy yawned, eyes closing.

“Because if I have to regret one thing…It’s that I never got to tell my parents I loved them before they left.”

Wendy muttered before finally closing her eyes, sleep overtaking her. Irene thought about the younger’s words. What did she mean by telling them she loved them? I have twenty more years.

            But after those twenty years, who would comfort Joy when she falls asleep and dreams of her suicide? Irene remembered. Irene remembered that fateful day when she and Seulgi were playing volleyball by the beachside in Gyeongsang Province when the Ocean alarmed them about a woman who jumped off of a boat she had stolen in order to commit suicide.

            Joy had been pressured by her family and was never satisfied with anything that she wanted to do. Joy wanted to be a singer instead of the typical lawyer or doctor that her parents wanted her to become.

Maybe those were some parents’ mistakes.

            She found that she couldn’t take it anymore and that life wouldn’t be worth living if she couldn’t do what she wanted to do. So she planned to end her life, which was foiled by Irene and Seulgi.

Irene remembered the hopeful look on Joy when they told her that she could still have a second chance.

At that time, Joy was only twenty-two.

What about Seulgi?

            They only had each other. What would happen if Irene left? What would Seulgi do? Irene took a shaky breath, shifting to turn away from Wendy who breathed slowly under their shared blanket.

‘When I get back, I’ll tell you guys just how much I love all of you.’

Seulgi had no one to tell her that; Joy loved to hear that but Irene knew she appreciates it. Yeri…

Oh, baby Yeri.

She lived in a household that didn’t show her what love was. Did she know what it felt like?

            Irene turned to look at Wendy’s sleeping face, before she closes her eyes and wept silently.

For once, Irene wants to feel the heavy and long-time burden she’d been carrying, off her back.

~.~.~.~

            Irene hadn’t had a wink of sleep that night. When the morning came, the sunlight that came through the windows made the Siren get up. Wendy was still sleeping soundly. Her eyes softened, seeing the peaceful look on Wendy’s face as if she had never been stressed out by her parents’ deaths. A sigh slips out of Irene’s lips as her eyes lingered outside the window where the Ocean had suddenly quieted down. Her brows furrowed in unease and puzzlement.

            She brushed it off and got up, tiptoeing outside of the room and caught a whiff of something burnt. Irene wrinkled her nose before slowly walking down the stairs and heard a female voice humming. Ah, it must be Tiffany.

            It would be rude of Irene not to go ahead and greet the woman when she was already awake; so she went to the kitchen and saw that Tiffany was wearing a pink apron over a long grey tee and shorts. She seemed to be cooking(well, trying to), so Irene went ahead and tapped her on the shoulder.

Tiffany gasped and twirled around to meet her. “Oh my, Joohyun! You’re awake. Is Wendy still sleeping?”

Irene nodded.

“Oh, I see. Do you know how to cook?” Tiffany laughed nervously, fidgeting with the spatula in her hand and Irene noticed that her ears were flushed red. So Irene smiled in understanding, nodding. “Y-Yeah…Obviously I was trying to cook but I can’t really…Nickhun’s the one in charge of cooking. He’s out fishing right now.” Tiffany finished, embarrassed.

Okay.

            Irene checked the clock to see that it was already half past eight in the morning. I better get back to Seulgi and the others by evening. Irene grimaced. The Ocean was quiet. Who knows what She might have done to her sisters? Would She have punished them for her wrongdoings? Irene cursed inwardly. I have to get back soon.

“Joohyun, I think someone stole your dress last night.” Irene looked back after flipping the pancake on the pan, seeing Tiffany staring out of their windows, where their clothes were being dried. “It disappeared. I’m sorry.” Tiffany gave her an apologetic look. “My clothes aren’t like that but I hope you’d like it.”

It was made of sea foam. No biggie. I was going to get rid of it before morning but wasn’t able to.

            Irene made a gesture before shrugging and smiling at the ‘older’ woman. After a sigh of relief came out of Tiffany, they went back to work and the sizzling sound that the pan was making and the scent in the air was the only thing that kept them comfortable. “Sorry, these days, Seungwan sleeps until noon and goes to the lighthouse by night.”

Irene only shrugged before turning off the stove and opening the kitchen cabinet to get some plates.

“But…this might change.” Irene was a Siren. Not only was her voice hypnotizing, but the Ocean also gave them the ability to hear even the silent whispers of other people. Irene quirked a brow at that.

“See, Joohyun. She’s already awake.” Instantly, Irene turned her head and blinked when she hears the creaking of the wooden floorboards as a person was slowly walking on it. “I smell pancakes. We have pancakes?” Wendy yawned, her hair unkempt as she rubbed her eyes to snap out of her sleeping state.

“Ah, Seungwan, you got up early today. Joohyun cooked breakfast!” Tiffany clapped in glee and that made Wendy blink. “Really?” Irene nodded, a pleasurable smile on her face. Wendy looked over the table before tilting her head. “Oh, you did. I haven’t tasted your cooking in a while. I think it’ll be amazing.”

            Without warning, she quickly sat down and immediately dug in, making Irene chuckle in amusement. Tiffany raised a brow. “You’ve never been this eager for food before.” Wendy swallowed before gesturing Tiffany to sit down and eat as well. “You’ve never tasted her cooking. You would demand for more if you try.”

“Not that I would demand for more, you should eat too, Joohyun.” Wendy grinned, Irene only nodded. She washed her hands when her ears started ringing.

Joohyun, I know you’re awake.

Irene froze. She quickly looked around, eyes landing on the Ocean outside, hearing the loud crashing of the waves as they were on the edge of the town. Irene blinked, squinting her eyes, her jaw clenched. Answer Me. I’ve told your sisters that you’re alive. But I still don’t know where you are. If you could imagine the Ocean talking, it would sound like a woman trying to keep calm although her face is already red with anger and will be exploding any minute.

I’m losing my patience, Joohyun.

            Irene swallowed, feeling dry as sandpaper. Her hands started getting clammy. She guesses that the Ocean finally had enough of her disobedience. ‘I might die.’ “Joohyun? Something wrong?” Wendy called out. Irene shook her head furiously before taking a shaky breath. Wendy noticed that Irene kept on glancing back at the ocean.

‘Oh. She might still be scared of it.’

            Although it bothered her, she tried to ignore how Irene didn’t touch her food and looked indifferent. Tiffany, a bit clueless of the woman, didn’t jump in out of fear of offending her. This gave Wendy an idea.

“Joohyun, do you want to go out today?”

Irene looked up in puzzlement. “You might get bored staying here all day! Let me show you the town! Or wait…you’ve been here before, right? Do you remember? Maybe there’s no need…”Wendy’s voice faltered and looked disappointed.

Irene shook her head and pointed to her head. ‘No, I don’t know anything about this town.’

Wendy’s eyes lit up almost immediately. “Oh! So I can show you around town! I mean, I’m not happy you lost your memories but-well-Calais is a beautiful city.” If Irene could laugh, she would, but instead her lips curled into an amused smile.

“That’s a good idea, Seungwan. Go show her around, I have to go for my appointment now. Have fun later!” Tiffany glanced at the pair before placing her plate on the kitchen sink and bolting out of the kitchen. Irene looked at Wendy questioningly.

“Fany unnie is a make-up artist and hair stylist. She’s a famous one around these parts.  Um…The people around here are the ones who liked using make-up every day, if there’s an occasion or not, doesn’t matter.” Wendy’s petite hand went to rub the nape of her neck.

“So…I could lend you clothes for us to go out?”

That sounded like a good idea.

Better than staying near the Ocean.

~.~.~.~

            Wendy lent Irene a simple blue polo shirt and black leggings, even white sneakers. It didn’t fit exactly, but it was comfortable enough. Her ebony hair was let down, wavy and silky. Not as if it would ever be frizzy. “That’s good to hear, I mean, see.” Wendy muttered to herself when she asked Irene how she was. The younger was wearing a rugged leather jacket over a white blouse, black jeans and black high heels. Irene found her style very attractive. But it wasn’t like how she usually dressed, from what Irene remembered.

“I was always told that I dressed too boyish. Seeing your reaction, you probably thought I wasn’t feminine enough, no?” Irene shrugged, giving an Okay gesture by creating a circle with her thumb and index finger, the three remaining standing up. You still look dashing though. Wendy’s blond hair was damp, cascaded over her shoulders, her bangs swept to the side. Irene could imagine her relaxing by the seaside, just after a swim.

Scratch that.

It’s better if Wendy swims in a bathtub rather than the Ocean.

            “I’m going to use Nickhun’s car.” Irene gave a disapproving look. Where’s the respect? Wendy shrugged. “Calling him oppa while we aren’t in Korea is weird.” Irene thought for a moment. I guess. “Fany unnie likes to be reminded that she’s still Korean so she wants me to call her that.” The two were shuffling out of the cabin, towards the front yard where a Chevrolet was parked. “Which reminds me. You never really told me if you’re older or the same age or maybe even younger than me, Joohyun.” She curiously looked back at Irene who raised an eyebrow.

She ‘died’ when she was twenty-seven.

“Oh…you’re three years older than me. I can’t believe I keep on calling you Joohyun.” Wendy bit her lower lip, before pouting. She pulled open the door of the front seat and let Irene sit first before she went to the driver’s side and turned the key, making the engine cough and roar back to life. Irene only shrugged. “Is it okay for me to?” Wendy asked uncertainly.

Irene only smiled, a mischievous look in her eyes.

“I’ll take that as a yes. Geez, with that look on your face, you look like a player.” Wendy chuckled. She looked back before reversing. “I just got my license. But I think I’ll be a pro very quickly!” She boasted, making Irene give her a motherly smile.

‘Such an innocent kid.’

            It seems like the cabin Wendy and her family stays and the central part of Calais still had a bit of distance between them. But Irene didn’t get bored as Wendy chatted with her throughout. She talked about how Calais’ ice cream is the best in the world, she talked about the theatre plays still done live on stages and about how she also dropped out of school.

“I dropped out because I wanted to spend time with my parents here.”

            Irene wanted to ask her a lot of questions, however, she did not bring the notepad with her. “You seem like the person who has a lot on her mind. You probably want to say those things too.” Wendy caught her staring at her hands that tried to form gestures to which she can communicate with Wendy well. Irene gave her a sheepish look.

“So do you want ice cream first or bookstore?”

            Hearing the choices, Irene thinks she found herself in one of the greatest dilemmas in her life. Her brows furrowed and she huffed. A few minutes passed and Wendy grinned playfully. “-Or you can do both. They’re right next to each other and the bookstore has a place where you can eat.” Irene gave her a look of betrayal. How dare you not say that immediately and make me choose? “Just wanted to know what’s more important to you.” And she had the nerve to laugh.

Irene punched her arm lightly.

            The Siren knew that they’ve already arrived in the central of the town when the small houses have turned into rising buildings, infrastructures made out of stone and cement, buildings of old, theatres large and round like the Roman Colosseum, the only thing that reminded Irene that she was in the 21st century are the people bustling around on the streets and the cars that were unlike horses and carriages before.

This is beautiful.

            She almost said that out loud but caught herself just in time. It was just breathtakingly beautiful. Irene loved things that were old fashioned. This was the exact definition. She rolled down the car’s windows and stuck her head out, after seeing no other cars in sight. formed a huge ‘O’ seeing the towering clock. After a few minutes, she remembered that she had a companion when suddenly the car pulled to a stop and Wendy had parked it in a place where there were only a few Europeans busying themselves.

“I think you’ll like it better if we walk around rather than ride a car.” Wendy gave her one of her heartfelt smiles that didn’t fail to pull on Irene’s heartstrings. She flushed when Wendy got out and opened the door for her, holding out her hand. Irene shyly took it in hers and got out, gasping when she almost stumbled and trip. “Woops, careful!” Wendy exclaimed, holding Irene closely by wrapping her arm firmly around Irene’s waist.

            The older only gulped, blushing when Wendy giggled. “You’re actually really clumsy even though you’re so pretty.” Irene scoffed at that. “I know, I know, the two don’t connect. But they do when it comes to you.” She winked which made Irene cringe.

‘If I knew she was this cheesy I would have backed off.’

“Anyway, this is the quietest part of Calais. Are you hungry? Let’s go get ice cream.” Irene didn’t mind the closeness that Wendy displayed as if they’ve been friends for a long time. They intertwined their hands as Wendy led her in an alleyway, and after a few more minutes, they arrived at a small shop that had a large balloon-like mint ice cream with sprinkles on top. Unlike the older buildings she’d seen past in the car, this one looked newly painted with pastel colors and large windows; a modern and newly created shop.

“Calais has a lot of these Ice Cream shops but this is particularly my favorite.”

Irene gave a questioning look when Wendy glanced back.

“I get discounts because I know the owner.” She laughed boisterously, yet it sounded like music to Irene’s ears. Music didn’t have to be all about singing, rapping or instruments. At least to Irene, hearing the happiness from Wendy’s voice was enough to call music.

“Do you like sweets?”

            Irene frowned and shyly shook her head. “That’s alright. They have strange ice cream flavors anyway!” ‘Are you calling me strange?’ Irene shot an offended look and she didn’t know if Wendy ignored her on purpose or really didn’t notice. Not as if Irene could deny that she was strange. “The common ice cream flavors aren’t really my thing. That’s why I suggest you try the ice creams that you’ve never heard of!”

            The inside of the shop looked like blotches of pastel paint has been thrown randomly, the tables and chairs low and bright like what they use in kindergarten, and a counter in the very front of the shop. Above the counters were displayed drinks and fake ice creams. Irene tilted her head in awe.

She’s been alive for eighty years but it wasn’t nearly enough to see a brand new world, different from where she lived in. Her eyes traced the beautiful shop until it landed on the girl behind the counter.

Then Irene’s heart almost stopped.

“Taeyeon unnie!”

            “I don’t think I can do this anymore.” Taeyeon knelt on her knees, shivering from fear and a mental breakdown. Irene panicked. Both of them stood on top of Her, the ship was approaching. “Unnie, we have to. We need to.” Irene was only new back then, not even half of Taeyeon’s age.

“She won’t let me live, Joohyun.” Taeyeon has been around longer, she had been strong for the both of them. Taeyeon wasn’t the first Siren, but Irene was the first Siren that the Ocean has picked after half a century. Taeyeon smiled weakly as tears threatened to fall off Irene’s face. “She let you live after your rampage! She can let you live again!”

I don’t think I can do that, Joohyun.

            Irene gritted her teeth. “Why? Please, I beg of You, please save her!” Taeyeon raised her hand to stop Irene from talking. “She’s going to kill us both. Stop it, Joohyun.” Taeyeon gazed at her with the pair of blue eyes that Irene had also inherited. The older raised her trembling hand and gently cupped Irene’s face. “You’re a strong one, dear. Whatever you do from now on…Find your reason to continue living, okay?”

“Wh-Taeyeon please…Please don’t.”

“Before you, I was alone and wasn’t able to share the burden with anyone.” Her melodious voice had turned soft, it pained Irene, but more Taeyeon. “I think it finally got to me. So when someone…When She chooses someone, Irene, please share your burdens with her.”

            Irene remembered the bloodcurdling scream she let out as the water spiraled around underneath Taeyeon and with a shaky breath and smile, she bid goodbye before being swallowed by Her and suddenly only the sound of the crashing waves remained. Irene’s legs felt wobbly as she cried out to the sky.

It was the first time the Ocean was silent.

“Seungwan-ah!” A woman with raven hair looked up, her skin milky pale and eyes, chocolate brown. Wendy ran to her before Irene could recover. The two hugged each other tightly and laughed together.

‘This is not the Taeyeon I know.’

            Irene knew just by seeing the way Taeyeon looked at her. Brown eyes, not blue. There was no trace of recognition left in those eyes. They looked the same, but they aren’t the same person. Still, Irene couldn’t stop her hands from trembling, the tears welling up in her eyes. She felt like she had lost her mind. Her hands shook silently by her side like tremors from earthquakes.

This was impossible.

She doesn’t believe in reincarnation; they have the same name for the Ocean’s sake!

But she can talk.

“Joohyun, meet Taeyeon unnie, the owner of the shop. She’s Korean but was born here. She’s two years older than you!”

            Taeyeon’s smile was just as warm and gentle as Irene remembered. The latter took a deep breath before bowing and sticking out her trembling hand. Taeyeon tilted her head in confusion. “Are you alright, Joohyun?” She took her hand and shook it. “Oh, Joohyun…she can’t talk.” Wendy’s voice faltered as she sees Irene’s hand shaking uncontrollably.

“Let’s sit down for a moment. Unnie, could you give us your best ice cream? I think Joohyun needs to rest for a bit.”

            Taeyeon looked reluctant although she nods and runs to the kitchen in the back. Wendy led Irene to sit in the corner of the shop. Irene had to take long and deep breaths while Wendy went to get her water. When she returned, Irene gulped it down in one shot. “Are you not feeling well?” Wendy asked, worry laced in her voice.

Irene just smiled weakly.

“Hey, these two are my new experimental ice creams!” Taeyeon was quick to finish her job as she came out and yelled across the almost empty shop. The two looked up, startled when the owner came out with a messy white apron and a tray with two jars filled with sweet monstrosity. The color looked like a glowing pastel coral dipped in red honey. “I call it ‘Red Flavor.’”

            Irene only stared at the jar that was placed in front of her. Wendy clapped in admiration, making Irene stifle a laughter. She stiffened when Taeyeon pulled out a chair and sat with them. “I want to know what you think about the taste.” She grinned. Irene couldn’t look at her properly and she had to avoid her gaze. She picked up her spoon and took the strange ice cream, taking a small bite.

Then her eyes widened and she almost dropped her spoon.

            It wasn’t as sweet as Irene had despised; unlike it’s appearance. As soon as she ate, it melted and became a new flavor altogether. It’s as if fruits broke out from the cream and started dancing on Irene’s tongue. She tasted watermelon. Dazed, she took another bite and this time it was a bit sour and tasted like orange. Another. This time, grapes?

After five bites, she turned to look at Taeyeon demandingly and questionably. ‘What sorcery is this?’ Taeyeon only beamed at her. “This is definitely peculiar and uncommon. I think Joohyun loved it.” The two turned to Wendy who was observing them. “Don’t you, Joohyun?” Irene only nodded, still dumbfounded, nearly forgetting the thought of her Taeyeon.

“You have such pretty blue eyes.”

            That almost made her drop her spoon. She blinked rapidly when she turned to look at Taeyeon who gazed at her eyes. Blue. Don’t say it. Don’t. “They remind me of the ocean.” Irene’s shoulders slumped in shame. “That reminds me…I heard about the accident.” Taeyeon’s voice softened and she diverted her attention from Irene and turned to Wendy. “Your parents-”

“-are dead. There’s nothing I can do about it.” Wendy’s lips formed a thin line. She looked as if she lost her appetite. Immediately Irene s her hand on the table until she laid it on top of Wendy’s in concern. Are you okay? Wendy chuckled. “Fine. Taeyeon unnie, I’m fine. Joohyun’s here so it’s alright.” The ‘eldest’ between the three eyed them. “She can be my parent now. She’s old enough anyway.” Wendy joked and Irene punched her arm lightly. She sighed before giving a smile. “Thank you Joohyun. For being with Seungwan. I couldn’t be there for her because I only heard the accident yesterday. I’m glad she has someone to share the burden with.”

            Irene didn’t train how to react to that. She was used to hiding her expressions and be strong for her fellow Sirens ever since the Ocean forcefully pulled Taeyeon out of her life. She learned how to mask her feelings and she learned how to carry the burden alone.

But now she realizes that it was the opposite of what Taeyeon wanted.

Shakily, she stood up, her legs feeling wobbly. She pointed to the bathroom and headed there without even looking at the two.

            She gasped as soon as she stumbled inside, eyes glancing at the empty stalls, making sure no one was around and out of earshot. Irene turned the knob of the sink and soon, water came rushing out and broke the silence of the bathroom. Irene gingerly held out her hands before splashing her face with the water, breathing deeply as she did so.

Water.

She needs to go.

But she can’t leave Wendy again.

Not while she’s still recovering.

            How far was the Ocean from here? She can’t even hear Her at all. Suddenly, she twirled around when she heard the door creak wide open. fell open and her eyes widened when she sees Taeyeon sheepishly entering. “Sorry, I just wanted to make sure you’re alright. I told Seungwan that she could relax and I’ll look out for you.”

Irene didn’t say anything. (Not like she could.)

“Do you need a towel?” Taeyeon asked, genuinely concerned when she sees Irene’s ebony hair tangled and noticed the water droplets on her face. Irene shook her head, staying stiff. “Okay.” They stood in awkward silence for another minute when Irene reluctantly bowed.

I’ll come out now.

“Wait.”

Before Irene could approach the exit, Taeyeon had stretched out her arm and blocked her. Her eyes darkened slightly as she examined Irene’s startled face. “Your eyes…They remind me of something I’m supposed to know.”

It’s not possible.

“Joohyun…” Taeyeon’s arm went limp, her brows furrowed and her jaw clenched in concentration. “Joohyun…Your name sounds very familiar. I don’t think we’ve met before.” Irene shook her head frantically. It’s bad to get involved with something she doesn’t know much about. Taeyeon rubbed the back of her neck, nodding in embarrassment. “Yes, of course not. There are rarely Koreans here in these parts. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you again. For being with Wendy. Before my parents died in a car crash, they told me that my grandmother died and my grandfather left my mother even before she was born. So I would really appreciate it if you’d stay by Wendy’s side especially now. I don’t know the heartbreak because my parents were rarely home and weren’t really…there for me. So I hope you’d stay by her.”

            There was a burning sensation on Irene’s wrists, a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach. “I hope to see you around.” Taeyeon smiled cheekily, before heading out first. Taeyeon didn’t recognize her. Of course she wouldn’t-It’s been eighty freaking years! But then realization hits her hard.

Impossible.

It’s impossible.

~.~.~.~

            When Irene stepped outside, she was greeted by Wendy waiting just outside the door. As soon their eyes met, Wendy’s lit up. “Are you okay? Taeyeon told me that you had to um…take a huge dump.” Wendy flushed so innocently that it almost made Irene forget the pain she was currently feeling. Irene gave a mute laughter before intertwining their hands and leading them to the counter.

“Oh, Taeyeon unnie said it’s on the house!”

Irene shook her head. She took the pen on the counter and wrote on her arm, not caring at all anymore. She gestured Wendy to come closer.

Can you tell me Taeyeon’s full name?

“Byun Taeyeon. Is something wrong?” Wendy asked, confusion evident on her face. This time, Irene wrote on her palm.

Her parents and grandparents?

“I’m not too sure…But I think she was named after her great grandma? Or grandma. I don’t really know. She died on a ship like the Titanic.”

That was all Irene needed to hear.

            Irene must’ve looked really troubled. Wendy laced her fingers through hers and tilted her head. “Joohyun, is something wrong?” Irene shook her head. This was supposed to be their day. “If…If you want to go home, we can do that.” Wendy’s voice was just above a whisper.

Irene didn’t want to burden her.

She shook her head.

Let’s go to the bookstore.

“Okay. Taeyeon’s busy in the kitchen since customers have arrived. I’m sure she’d understand.”

            Irene’s eyes closed shut as they exited the ice cream parlor, wind chimes ringing as they did so. “It’s only a three minute walk from here.” Wendy tugged on Irene’s hand and that’s when she realized that they were holding hands. She tightened her grip and that’s when Wendy seemed to notice.

“Oops, sorry. Uncomfortable?”

            Irene felt Wendy loosen her grip but she only tightened it. No. She signed. Wendy gave a tight-lip smile. “Right. Let’s go…I have some kids I’ve taught here before! They always spend time in the bookstore.” Irene nodded, mirroring Wendy’s smile.

            But she knew that she couldn’t mirror the glow that the younger had. Such beauty and innocence. Irene’s eyes softened. “And then, if you’re okay with it, let’s go to the lighthouse tonight.”

“It’s my favorite place.”

            Wendy intertwined their hands together before stopping in her tracks, ears flushed red as she smiled. “I’ve been meaning to tell you something ever since you left.”

            Irene had an inkling of what it was. But her heart still erratically beat in her chest like a drum. “So um…you can look forward to it.”  

I will. I definitely will.

 

           

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

A/N: This is definitely long overdue. I'm sorry if it was a bit rushed :( I was attacked by researches to be done immediately. And it's only the FIRST week. I realized I couldn't complete this in a two-shot story...Hopefully a three-shot would be enough.

It took me a long while to finish this because I didn't want to seem like I'm forcing romance between the two. I want it to be as genuine as possible.

 

I'll do better with the next one.

Thank you for the upvotes, your comments and subscribers. You mean a lot.