Late in Love

Red and Blue Mix

Late in Love

~.~.~.~

Wendy was an angel; a short woman who had brown hair and blond locks, a smile always plastered on her face and known to be extremely rich. Everyone also knew how she never had one successful relationship. And the last one was the one that completed her reputation at her school.

Not until she met the volleyball player, Bae Joohyun or as everyone knew, Irene Bae. (She was certainly a Bae.) And Wendy decided that she would court the senior the moment she saw her dazzling smile and heard her lovely laugh that made Wendy’s heart pound faster than any games she’s been in.

She had first tried a direct approach and introduced herself to the senior by nonchalantly walking inside the senior’s classroom and sticking out her arm, and with a toothy smile, “Hi, my name is Son Seungwan.” Irene only blinked and stared at her before laying her head on her desk, ignoring the younger by going back to sleep. Laughter erupted from the class at Wendy’s red face.

It seems that Irene had heard the rumors about the Junior; how she supposedly brought a new girl to her house every week and ravaged them, how she paid for some girls from other schools to make a fan club about her and how she never had one successful and long-term relationship because she was too proud. It must have bothered Irene immensely to believe in such things.

Wendy was never really one to care about the rumors circulating about her. But now she had the intent to murder or create a massacre the moment she finds out the back-stabbing people’s identities. She wanted to prove them wrong, no, she wanted to prove to Irene that she wasn’t anything like what the rumors say.

So she worked hard continuously for seven months, starting from rejecting every gifts from her fanc lub and the people who liked her, from supporting Irene in every game she goes to (complete with huge banners and pictures of Irene and smaller pictures of the other members, as not to be rude), from baking goods and striving to be first in everything in school(because she heard Irene likes smart and talented people) to giving Irene roses that had different colors everyday(but Wendy once witnessed Irene throwing them away, ouch) to trying to pick her up for school every morning(but Irene would just glare at her before ignoring her and walk the other way.)

So far, Wendy had only succeeded in making her presence and crush known to the whole school and during practice, make Irene ‘accidentally’ throw the volleyball in Wendy’s direction(most of the time hitting her face) and then Irene apologizes afterwards. Wendy would then quickly tell her it was alright and it was an accident (even though clearly it was not and everyone on the basketball and volleyball team knows) and then proceeds telling Irene sweet things.

 

“Why don’t you just take advantage of her?” Joy bluntly asked, feeling rather annoyed to see Wendy with bandages covering her forehead and cheeks. (Sometimes Wendy would have a black eye.) Whenever Wendy’s forehead is freed, it gets covered by something else. Why?

Wendy looked at Joy incredulously before furiously shaking her head. “What? Joy, I would never do that!” Right now, they were chilling in the cafeteria, with Seulgi eating her pringles, Joy sitting next to her, stealing some chips now and then, while Yeri was sitting next to Wendy. “Unnie, you’re so whipped. If she continues to hit your face one more time with that ball, you should ask her out on a date for her to compensate.” Yeri snarkily smiles before munching on the chicken she had ordered.

“Or it might be her way of flirting with you?” Seulgi concludes and everyone stared at her dumbly. “Seulgi unnie, that is brilliant. Except for the fact that that is a rude way of flirting.” Joy shoots.

“Then maybe you should just give up on her.” Seulgi continues, a serious look on her face. Joy and Yeri glanced at each other before shrugging. “I agree.”

“Second that agreement.”

          Wendy frowned, disheartened by the lack of support from her friends. Seulgi just bit her bottom lip, seeing her best friend’s slump shoulders and tearful eyes. “Look, Wen, it’s not that we don’t support you, but we just don’t want to see you keep getting hurt.”

“Yeah, Irene unnie’s a sadist. Although it might be amusing seeing you getting hurt, we still love you.” Joy grunts. Yeri snickered. “Wendy unnie, I think maybe it’s time to stop? I mean, you’ve already proven how much you like her…Maybe it’s time to tone it down a bit.”

The whole school knew that.

Wendy wasn't afraid to get beaten up, lose a tooth, go bankrupt, or mind her body getting bruised and sore as long as it was for Irene. The blonde has been courting her for a while. But she was losing hope that Irene felt the same. Yet, she was oblivious to Irene’s secret glances and thirst for Wendy’s attention. Unknown to Wendy, Irene was feeling the same.

(Except she didn’t know how to show it.)

          Whenever they would practice in the same gym, with the basketball team on the other side of it, Irene would secretly steal glances at the short Junior. Whenever she found Wendy laughing with another girl from her team, Irene would feel a growl trying to escape her lips and using her skills as a star player, she would hit Wendy(and unfortunately, Wendy always turns around whenever she aims for the back of her head.)

          After a while, Irene finally spoke up, when they were in the locker room, alone with an awkward silence. “Why do you like me?” She had her back turned around from Wendy who she had a feeling had her eyes on Irene. (Maybe Irene would change later?) Wendy chuckled and Irene turned around with a brow raised.

“When I saw you smile and heard you laugh, I kind of fell head over heels?” Wendy started, eyes twinkling with mirth. “But it’s because you drew me in. I don’t really have a reason to why I started liking you.” It was the first time Irene saw Wendy shy away from her, her face flushed. Irene tried not to be affected.

“You don’t even know me or anything about me.” Irene replies coldly.

Wendy thought for a moment. Before smiling at Irene gently. “You’re right.”

“But I want to…if you’ll let me.”

~.~.~.~

 

A week after that, it was just a normal day where Wendy follows Irene around the school campus with purple-dyed roses in her hands. It had become a normal thing to the school, how Wendy would follow Irene around like a puppy and they were puzzled to see why Irene didn’t mind. One thing was for sure, though-

 

Wendy wasn't going to give up.

No matter how much it hurt.

"Why can't you leave me alone?" Irene shot the blonde an irritated glare. She had become wary of the things she’s been feeling for the past few months and had wanted to stay away from Wendy as far as possible. Now it was lunchtime and Irene was very bothered as Wendy was smiling at her, purple roses in her hand.

Wendy replied with a toothy grin, "Because I don't want you to be alone. I want to be with you forever."

Although the line was cheesy, Wendy meant it. The other cheerleaders who were with Irene cooed, but this only made Irene red from embarrassment and anger and some other emotion which she was certain wasn't love.

She sighed.

"Is there anything I can do for you that would make you leave me alone?"

Wendy swore she heard something broke inside here and her smile faded away.

She swallowed the lump forming inside . Irene sounded so eager to send Wendy away and that was a blow.

Irene thought she saw Wendy's smile faltered a bit, but waved it off.

Wendy's grip around the bouquet of purple flowers tightened to the point that her knuckles turned white. And a plan flashed in her mind. The plan that she thought and wished she would never have to use. ‘At least it wouldn’t be so bad if it succeeded, right?’

It was her very last plan to get Irene.

Irene waited impatiently for Wendy's answer, her friends leaving the two in the hallway for privacy. "Well? If you've nothing to say, I'll-"

"There is..." Wendy bit her lower lip which Irene found attractive.

"Go on a date with me." Irene was about to answer when Wendy's finger silenced Irene, the blonde grimacing. Irene looked at her with wide eyes. It wasn’t the first time Wendy asked her. Before Irene could open to reply, Wendy continued.

"Go on a date with me. And I'll stop following you around, I'll stop courting you, and you'll never see me again." She repeats, slightly sullen.

 

Irene felt a pang in her heart but she shook it off. She nodded slowly. Wendy gave her a small smile before stretching out her hand to give Irene the flowers. “I um…noticed you liked purple so I tried to look for natural ones…”

But oh, how cruel can Irene be, forcing herself to walk pass the girl and didn't even take the roses.

 

Wendy was joking, right? She wouldn’t leave Irene for real.

Wendy smiled sadly to no one, before pulling out her IPhone and dialed a number. "Hello? Fany unnie, can you do me a favor and buy me a ticket for Canada? I’ve decided. Yes, book it tomorrow if possible.” Wendy chuckles, hearing the frantic girl on the phone. “I’m sure that won’t be a problem since you’ve been expecting me. Any flight would do but a lot earlier would be nice. Thanks a lot and sorry for the sudden request." She ended the call and placed it in her hoodie’s jacket.

Wendy sighed and stared at the lonely bouquet in her right hand, forcing a smile.

"I never break promises." Especially not to you, Irene.

She hoped this plan worked.

          She sighs, a small smile on her lips. Now she had to settle a lot of things today.

~.~.~.~

 

Wendy waited for Irene at her house’s doorstep. She was wearing a black tuxedo with a black ribbon as a necktie, her blond hair tied up into a ponytail. Her body was shaking slightly from nervousness although this wasn’t the first time that she came to Irene’s house. (Irene’s parents seem to know her very well, but she never dared talk to them.)

She was nervous, for the first time in her life.

She wanted to wear a dress, but since she's courting, a suit might be a better option. (She hopes that she looks dashing.) She let out a squeak when the door opened, making Wendy jump on the pavement. She quickly laid her eyes on Irene, falling open. "Oh wow, look at you."

Irene was bewildered. And so was Wendy. Irene was wearing a black tube dress that reached down above her knees and hugged her body perfectly, while wearing the earrings Wendy probably bought with the other hundreds of gifts she gave on valentines. She had a bit of make-up on and she looked down bashfully when Wendy swallowed, dry.

"You look ethereal, Irene...Your beauty is unreal." Wendy chuckled as a blush crept its way onto Irene's cheeks. Wendy raised her hand and her heart skipped a beat when Irene took it and intertwined their hands. The younger smiled so wide, her eyes disappeared into crescents. “L-Let’s go.” Irene stutters before pulling Wendy towards a very expensive looking black car that awaited them in front of Irene’s yard.

Wendy opened the door of the front seat and ushered Irene to sit before going to the back of the car and pulled out a blanket. She shyly held it out for Irene who blinked at her in surprise. “I-I thought you might get cold during the ride s-so…”

“Uh…It’s-It’s alright.” Irene took the blanket, avoiding eye-contact with Wendy.

~.~.~.~

 

When Wendy stopped the car a few minutes later, Irene knew they arrived. Wendy quickly fumbled with her seatbelt before opening the door and quickly opening the other one for Irene. The moment Irene stepped out, her jaw felt like it was going to drop.

Wendy had taken her to one of the most well-known and very expensive restaurant in Seoul. (Even if Irene were to sell her house, she wouldn't be able to afford eating here.)

"Order whatever you want. I'll pay." Wendy assured her and Irene gulped.

Wendy was friends with every employee and even the boss it seems. They welcomed the two warmly and immediately led them to a table in the far corner of the mansion-like restaurant, complete with high ceilings, chandeliers, elegant colors, expensive silverware and designs and paintings on the walls. When the waiter gave a still shocked Irene her menu, that only made it worse. Irene’s eyes almost bulged out of their sockets when she saw the prices of each food. (She could buy McDonalds’ saver meals for each and every senior in her class and even the next one.)

Wendy had waited patiently for Irene to order, but it seems her date was still in shock.

"I'll just have the usual. Same for her." She told the awaiting waiter who then nodded and went about. Irene still looked at Wendy, astonished. Usual? Usual? Her eyes were blinking as she processes everything. Wendy gave her another blinding smile. "I hope you'll enjoy our evening."

~.~.~.~

Chicken.

Wendy had ordered Irene's worst enemy. She stared at the steaming plate of baked chicken in front of her, probably cooked to perfection. (The food better compensate for the ridiculous price they have.) But Irene only hesitated and left the chicken untouched while Wendy had already started eating.

"I-Is there something wrong?" Wendy stared at her when she noticed, so she gulps down the chicken nervous and concerned to which Irene almost smiled at. Instead, she averted her gaze and shook her head. Irene might like it.

          She stabs her fork into the poor chicken and made Wendy wince slightly. Irene was glaring at the piece of chicken, her hand trembling and sweat starting to form on her forehead. She sniffed, satisfied on the alluring and delicious scent, before quickly taking a bite.

She chewed.

And tears poured out of her eyes.

“I-Irene?!” Wendy’s eyes widened and she drops her fork and knife. “Wh-What’s wrong? A-Are you okay-Waiter! Please bring us wa-” Irene reached out for Wendy and immediately shook her head. Wendy blinked worriedly before waving her hand to cancel the order.

“I…I-It’s…” Irene stuttered, lips quivering as she swallows the piece of chicken.

“I-It’s? Does it not suit your taste? I apologize-”

“It tastes like heaven.” Irene completes and makes Wendy deflate on her seat.

Irene swears to have chicken more often.

~.~.~.~

When their drinks came, Irene swore Wendy gave the waiter a knowing look. She realized when she drank half of the wine and almost choked when she saw something imprinted on the bottom of the wine cup. She stopped and lifted the glass, eyes unreadable but brows scrunched up in thought.

 

Wendy stood up and inhaled and exhaled as she covered her face. 'She saw! She saw! Of course Wendy, that was your plan all along after all!'

'Will you be my girlfriend?' is what was written.

Wendy looked down red-faced before glancing up only to see Irene looking very confused.

"I-Irene?" Wendy hesitated. She approached the girl slowly. "Wha-What's your answer?" Her voice was shaky.

Irene opened , "It's in English."

"Yeah...W-What about it?"

And Wendy almost flipped the table.

"I can't read English."

 

~.~.~.~

The two decided to take a stroll in the park, after Wendy lost her appetite and Irene worried about what was bothering her date. Why did I have to be so fancy that I told them to write it in English? I should have been more considerate. Irene never lived outside of Korea. Wendy, you dumb dumb!” Wendy's eyes darkened and she mumbled incoherent words, Irene thinking she was probably cursing someone. Before Wendy could say more self-depraving comments about herself, Irene had dragged her to the end of the park, where they could see the city lights below them, a chilly breeze surrounding them. Irene let out an icy breath of air.

 

It was cold and Irene forgot to bring a jacket, which Wendy took noticed of. Irene’s eyes widened in surprise when she felt Wendy wrap her arms around her waist. The scene would look funny because Irene was taller than Wendy(just a little), and tonight, she was wearing heels as well.

"Wha-What're you doing?"

"Keeping you warm."

And indeed, Irene felt warm.

 

Irene asked Wendy what she liked about the older girl. It’s been a week since she last asked that, and she expected a different answer this time. Why did Wendy fell in love with her?

And Wendy went into chatting mode as she continually had Irene in her arms the whole time. Wendy started from how funny she sounded when she laughed, how she noticed that the older was a bit mischievous to her friends, how she looks like a porcelain doll when someone sees her for the first time, how she looked like a goddess and how Wendy thinks that when she gets to know her more, she could write a book about all of Irene’s traits-

 

Claiming to write love letters about each one every day.

And Irene never felt so loved. Sure she had past relationships; some with boys, most with girls. But whenever Irene had asked them what made them fall for her, it was always because of how physically beautiful she was.

And Wendy had placed that lastly on her list.

          She tugs on Wendy’s arms shyly, wanting the younger to tighten her gentle hold on her. Wendy thinks this is the real Irene. Kind, warm, soft-hearted and caring. Maybe because she didn't hit Wendy today or the cold has finally got to her. Then she noticed Irene keeping quiet while she said everything she loved about the woman.

"Irene? Are you okay?" And Irene hesitated.

"Back in the restaurant..."

Wendy cursed inwardly, but forced a smile on her face. "Yeah?"

"What did...what did it say?" Irene’s voice was quiet, as if she already knew something, as if Wendy didn’t have to answer because Irene already understood.

          Irene felt Wendy stiffened, and so she freed herself from Wendy’s back hug and stared at the younger, who froze from her question. She tucked her ebony locks behind her ear, biting her lower, chapped lip nervously. “What did you want to tell me?”

Although she already had an idea, she said nothing.

She’s been telling you this from the first day you guys met.

Wendy had a plan. She always had a plan. In life, in school, in her games, in courting someone. She thought Irene would let the fiasco go because Wendy did not plan anything to answer to Irene except for the truth. It’s…It’ll be her last chance, anyway.

She’s so cruel.

          Irene awaited her answer, arms crossed and foot tapping on the grassy ground. Wendy gave her a tight-lipped smile before chuckling. “It’s…always the same question.” Like the dramatic person she is, she kneels down on one knee as if Irene was her future wife.

(She hopes so.)

"Irene, will you be my girlfriend?"

All her efforts-

All her love-

Everything-

 

 “I…I’m sorry, Wendy.”

 

Sometimes they’re never enough.

Although she expected the answer, Wendy still felt her whole world break down in front of her. (It wasn’t wrong to hope, right?)

Irene realized she hated herself. The moment the sparkling stars that she loved so much fell from Wendy’s eyes, the moment when Wendy’s smile was quickly wiped away from her once, brightened face, the moment Wendy’s hands fell to her sides numbly, the moment she saw Wendy’s always twinkling eyes darkened and watered, Irene knew she finally broke her.

She wanted to say yes, but why did she say that? Wendy's crestfallen face hurt so much.

"I...I see." The two fell into awkward silence as Irene didn’t know what to say and Wendy stood up shakily, forcing out a laugh.

"I knew it was too good to be true."

"Wendy, I-" Wendy pressed her finger to Irene's lips, hushing her. "Don't apologize. I understand that you don't feel the same way. I should have given up a long time ago."

'But you were the only one who stayed!'

          No one ever stayed by her side, Irene watched her past relationships fail because of her, because of her conservativeness, because of her shy and supposedly ‘rude’ attitude, and supposedly because they got bored of her.

Wendy was different.

Irene should know that by now.

"I guess I should have taken the hints that you would never like me."

'I do, Wendy, I love you too-’

“You don’t understand, Wendy.” Irene blurted out.

Wendy sighed, pushing the tears back, while Irene was unable to say anything but showed a blank look which hurt even more. “Even if I tried to, it’s your choice to let me, yes?”

"Let me take you home."

This time, Wendy drove Irene back to her house. The ride home was suffocating. The silence was deafening. Wendy kept her eyes on the road even when she felt Irene’s stare at her from time-to-time. Her hand on steering wheel was obviously too tight as her knuckles had turned white. When she pulled up in front of Irene’s house, she unclasped her seatbelt.

"We're here..." Wendy coughed, her voice soft and almost hoarse. But Irene didn't budge. Wendy didn't dare touch her. Since Irene had rejected her, a final rejection, Wendy should stop doing things for her as well. (At least maybe, it will help Wendy recover slightly from the heartache.) "Irene unnie, we're here."

Irene felt her lips tremble.

Unnie.

It was like Wendy became so distant. They were so close, yet so far at the same time.

Irene forced herself to open the door and walked out, before staring at Wendy who didn't even look at her. When Wendy quickly started the engine of her car, Irene rapidly latched her arms on the open window and breathed in shakily when Wendy stopped.

"...I guess...I guess s-see you at school tomorrow?" Irene said weakly.

Wendy faced her. She blinked and Irene could swear she saw Wendy’s chocolate brown eyes fog and water but the younger only smiled crookedly. "Goodbye, sunbaenim."

For some reason, Irene couldn't say the same thing. She watched as Wendy drove off and Irene felt her heart hurt hearing Wendy say 'Goodbye.'

 

~.~.~.~

 

Irene stared blankly at the purple ceiling.

Why did she say that?

She was a pabo.

A stupid idiot.

She regretted everything she did to Wendy ever since they met. She regrets everything(except for the part where Wendy accidentally walking in on her showering.) Suddenly, Wendy's face flashed in her mind and she closed her eyes tightly, feeling her heart ache.

'I never really found someone worth fighting for. They all went after my money, not me. I stopped giving them money and suddenly they just stop coming anymore. I never really had someone until I met you.'

Wendy told her once.

And Irene just rolled her eyes and shook her head.

Now, Irene realized what she meant.

Wendy never had someone love her truly. She could probably understand that because Wendy was annoying.

Annoyingly sweet.

Irene loved that.

And now, Irene knows why she rejected the girl today.

The older girl was scared. Wendy had failed relationships, but she was taking this seriously. Irene was scared because Wendy might want to leave her just like her exes did. She was scared Wendy would not accept her quirks and mood swings. Irene felt so scared that Wendy wouldn’t love her the moment she breaks Irene’s walls down.

No one understood that.

But in the first place, why do you want someone to understand you? Did it matter?

What matters is that someone tries to.

          Irene felt tears threatening to fall, and she turns to her side, sniffling as she buries her face on the pillow. Wendy’s hurt expression flashes in her minds and she clutches the pillow tighter.

 

Irene loved her back.

And she will fix it tomorrow.

~.~.~.~

"Shhh, it's okay, Wendy, I'm here."

Wendy was balling her eyes out.

It was in the middle of the night when Seulgi suddenly received a call from Wendy. ‘Seulgi? W-Where are you? I need you.’ It was the first time in seven years that Wendy cried in front of Seulgi. The older girl was alarmed and bothered when her phone rang, waking her up and the moment she heard Wendy’s hoarse voice and whimpers, she had quickly gotten out of bed and took a cab to Wendy’s house.

I’ll do anything for you, Wen.

          Seulgi only knocked on Wendy’s door once, and Wendy had already opened the door and pulled her in. She was shocked to see Wendy’s distraught face. Her trembling hands and her unkempt hair. The messy living room and broken glasses in the kitchen. Wendy wearing a tuxedo that was wrinkled ad she burst out in tears in front of Seulgi.

Seulgi didn’t need Wendy to tell her what happened.

"It hurts so much Seulgi...." Wendy hiccuped. Seulgi pulled her in a bear hug and whispered comforting things while leading Wendy to her bedroom. “It’s okay, Wen. I’m here, don’t worry.” She kissed Wendy’s forehead as they sat on the edge of the bed, Wendy burying her face in Seulgi’s plain, white shirt. “It hurts so much…l-loving someone who doesn’t feel the same.” Wendy cried louder.

Seulgi felt her heart fell.

"I know..." She whispered. A ghostly smile formed on her face as she pulled Wendy closer, caressing her ombre hair, making sure that Wendy wouldn’t fall on the edge.

She loved Wendy too after all.

 

Seulgi laughed inwardly.

She loved Wendy, but helps her chase after the girl that made her love smile. She admits that this was the first time she saw Wendy so happy, courting a girl who didn't even like that. Seulgi found herself wanting to see Wendy smile like that. And she envies Irene for being the reason. But if she could see Wendy smile continuously like that, Seulgi would gladly help. But Irene had done the opposite.

She made Wendy cry.

Love makes people stupid and both Wendy and Seulgi are victims. (This is what Seulgi believes.) After a few more ours, Wendy’s loud cries turned into soft whimpers until she become quiet. Seulgi's shirt was ruined from Wendy's two in one. But Seulgi didn’t mind. Wendy sniffed before looking up at Seulgi who still stared at her with concerned eyes. "Thank you so much, Seulgi."

"Are you okay now?"

"I am..."

"You don't look okay." Seulgi chuckled and Wendy punched her lightly in the arm.

Suddenly, Wendy became serious.

"Don't tell her I'm leaving."

Seulgi grimaced. Wendy had blabbered about her flight tomorrow. Seulgi wanted to disagree but it was Wendy’s life.

The only person who kept her in Seoul was because of Irene.

"Are you really leaving us behind? What about me, Joy and Yeri?" Seulgi couldn’t help but be upset.

Wendy smiled sadly. "I'll come back."

"When?"

"After all this is over." She sighs before running her hand through her hair and Seulgi loved that habit of hers. Seulgi inched closer to her.

"When will that be?"

Wendy shrugged.

"Two years I guess. It depends how all of this will end."

"You idiot." Seulgi suddenly felt her tears fall. Wendy scooted closer and gently wiped them away, like what Seulgi did to her a while ago. "I'll be back okay? It might take a while, but I'll be back." Seulgi frowned. 'But you still won't come back to me.'

No matter what Seulgi will do, she knows that Wendy won't come back to her.

She will always-

always come back for Irene.

Never Seulgi.

Still, Seulgi forced out a smile. “I’ll be waiting for you, okay?”

          There was only four hours remaining until the sun rises. Seulgi gets up and helps Wendy pack, chatting about their fun times together. Let Seulgi be the last person to spend time with Wendy. Please.

For once, Seulgi wants to be selfish.

 

~.~.~.~

Apparently, Irene's tomorrow with Wendy never came.

When Irene had a spare for second period because the teacher had to leave hastily, she had rapidly walked towards the Juniors’ building. But Wendy hadn't shown up. And Wendy was never late nor absent. Seulgi didn't come to school either. Although their classmates seemed to have an idea, they did not tell Irene. Maybe she was practicing?

Irene headed for the gym where some of the players of their school were training. Immediately as she stepped in, she caught some people’s attention. Consciously,she had approached the basketball coach, Kim Taeyeon, who only looked at her remorsefully. “Did Wendy not tell you? She sent a resignation letter yesterday.” Irene blinked. Wendy? Resigned from Basketball? And Taeyeon allowed her? “Why?” Irene voiced out her thoughts. Taeyeon only looked at her pitifully and yet, sympathetically. “I’m sorry, Bae Joohyun. I don’t have any rights to tell you why.”

Irene only muttered a ‘Thank you’ before leaving.

She tried calling the blonde multiple times but it only returned voice mail. Irene was worried. So worried that at lunch, she went her way to the second years’ building and found Joy’s classroom, where she saw the redhead laughing together with her classmates, and one of them handing Joy an ice cream. Irene walked in and slammed her hands on Joy's desk, alarming the girl. "What the hell, Irene unnie?!" Joy clicked her tongue as she almost had a heart attack. They caught the attention of unwanted eavesdroppers.

"Where's Wendy?" Irene hissed, although a lace of worry was evident in her voice.

Joy raised a brow. "Oh, now you're chasing her? That's sad you know, after what she's done for you and then you reject her every time-" "I have no time for this!" Irene sighed frustrated and Joy frowned and growled. "Well, I don't have any time for you either!"

"What's wrong, unnies?" Yeri ran towards them after hearing the conversation and someone had quickly informed her of Irene and Joy in the same place. This is not good. Yeri was close to everyone, mostly to Wendy and Irene (as if she had two mothers who lived in different worlds). Joy pointed to Irene.

 

"She's trying to find Wendy!"

Yeri furrowed her brows before looking at Irene. "You don't know where Wendy unnie is?" Shouldn’t Wendy be with Irene? And why was Irene looking for her? Irene's shoulders slumped and she held the tears in. "I-I don't." Joy and Yeri glanced at each other in confusion and the latter swallowed. "Well, did you ask Seulgi unnie? Seulgi is the closest to her and her classmate too."

"Seulgi's absent too."

          Seulgi and Irene had never talked before. Irene only knew that Seulgi was Wendy’s friend. But she heard that the junior was a social butterfly, but whenever she sees Wendy with her, Seulgi was glaring at her menacingly as if saying, What are you doing with her? Stay away.

Joy choked on her strawberry ice cream.

"What?!"

Yeri bit her lower lip.

Irene could only think they were together. The bear was Wendy's best friend after all.

Irene hesitated for a moment. "Ma-Maybe they were together?" Joy froze and stared at her suspiciously.

"Why would you think so?"

"I...Wendy asked me to be her girlfriend last night...And I rejected her." Irene looked down. She heard a small yelp which belonged to Joy’s classmates who stepped backward and a flash of pink. Joy had dropped her ice cream.

Irene looked up to see Joy standing up abruptly, a furious look on her face, her ears flushing red. She raised her hand to slap Irene when Yeri pulled Joy back. "Unnie, stop!" Irene flinched when Joy started shouting profanities.

"She loved you!"

'I know.'

"This was the first time I've ever seen her so serious!"

'I'm sorry.'

"You don't deserve her."

The words pierced through Irene's heart.

But even when she was trembling, she looked up and glared at Joy, with tears in her eyes. "Yes, I know, Joy. I know that I don't deserve her. But I was scared-scared that I'll be one of her failed relationships! That she doesn’t really like me!" Irene choked on the last word.

"I was a fool last night, but I realized-I just wanted to fix everything today...I realized that I like her too…That she-she was different."

Joy breathed in. Yeri stared at Irene. They forgot that they were still surrounded by classmates who silently watched the scene ever since Irene Bae entered the second years' classroom.

Joy turned to them and growled.

"If any of you wants me to break your relationships with your friends or lovers then keep staring."

And they all looked away, chattering silently.

Yeri sighed. "Should we go visit Seulgi unnie? It might be a coincidence." “When school ends…” Irene whispers. There were only a few hours left.

          The met in front of the school gates, Joy still refusing to talk to Irene and Yeri being the one who fills the awkwardness between the three by talking about her day until they reached Seulgi’s dorm. Only to find that she was not there.

"Seulgi went out last night." The bear's roommate said.

Immediately as they heard that, they hailed a cab to go to Wendy’s house which was a bit far to walk for. Joy was grumbling about something Yeri didn’t want to know the whole time.

~.~.~.~

Joy swears if something happened to Wendy and Seulgi, she could never live with it.

No, she wasn't worried about the two. Well, maybe a little.

She was actually very pissed off.

Because Wendy could have called her over as well-not Seulgi.

Oh, definitely not Seulgi.

Joy was aware of what the bear feels about Wendy, and at first, she thought Seulgi was an idiot and Joy laughs at herself for thinking so; because she also became an idiot.

An idiot that fell deeply in love with the dense bear.

 

Irene knocked furiously on Wendy's door. The Sons were obviously rich, as Wendy owned a whole house to herself. 'Irene unnie, just say yes and you'll be set for the rest of your life.' Joy cackled to her once.

Wendy grinned back then, 'Yeah. Just say yes and I'll take care of the rest.'

Irene didn't love Wendy for her money though, mind you. She loves everything about her, actually. Physically, mentally, emotionally-attitude, character-Irene wasn't good at expressing herself.(A/N: And neither am I.)

Knocking wasn't working. And since Joy was pissed off, she pushed Irene to the side and pulled out a card."Let me teach you some things, unnie." Quickly, she swiped the card through the thin door line and-

Click!

"Viola-" As revenge, Irene pushed her back and swiftly ran into the large house before heading upstairs where (she thinks) Wendy’s bedroom should be. “Wendy-” Irene carelessly opened the first door she sees, which was a large bathroom (complete with a tub and another with a shower room what the hell) and Irene huffed. There were a lot of doors lined up in the third floor. (Doesn’t Wendy feel lonely?)

She spots a navy blue door at the very end of the floor, different from the other doors. She squinted, making out a W E N D Y carved on top of the door. She quickly ran towards it in glee. The door was slightly open and she burst inside the room-

 

Only to be faced with horror.

 

Seulgi was lying on Wendy's bed, still sleeping although it was evening. She was hugging one of Wendy’s pillows while a pile of clothes were lying all over the well-polished floor.

Yeah, Irene might be overreacting but-

Seulgi. was sleeping. on. WENDY's. bed. Clothes were all over the floor. (What do you think Irene would think?)Irene should be the only girl sleeping there-forget what she thought. Apparently, she screamed loudly, jolting Seulgi awake from Neverland and causing Joy and Yeri to run into the blue bedroom, took them long enough.

"What're you screaming about-WHAT?!"

Joy recoiled in shock.

Seulgi sat up groggily. "Huh? What? What're you people doing here so early in the morning?"

"Seulgi unnie. It's already evening."

Seulgi checked her watch to see if Yeri was right and she cursed out loudly. "Why didn’t Wendy wake me up?” Irene was trying to control her breathing, Yeri, calming her down by patting her on the back, although she stood at quite a safe distance away from the older girl.

Seulgi stretched her numb limbs and groaned slightly. She and Wendy had stayed up the whole night and Seugi passed out probably only a few hours ago. Wendy didn’t wake her and now that Seulgi looks around, her best friend’s luggage was gone.

"What're you doing here?!" Irene hissed.

Seulgi realized that Irene was there. "Oh, it's you." She sneered, making the three taken aback.

Seulgi never sneers at people.

Irene bit her lower lip. If Seulgi was here and was glaring at Irene, then she must have been with Wendy last night. And Wendy must have told her everything.

Irene felt the guilt eat her more and more.

Joy decided to step in between them, cautiously looking at the two before turning her attention to Seulgi who ignored her. "Seulgi unnie, can you tell us where Wendy unnie went to?” Seulgi crossed her arms and frowned. Joy never called her Unnie before. But she decided to answer the question.

"She's gone."

"Gone to where?!"

Although Irene was shorter than Seulgi, she still reached out and pulled on Seulgi's shirt after the girl had just stood up from the bed. Seulgi hissed and grabbed Irene hands. "You don't deserve to know! Not after what you did to her!" Irene froze and her grip loosened, setting Seulgi free.

Seulgi sighed and glared at the frozen senior while Joy and Yeri watched from the side.

"You rejected her, why would you want to know where she is after what you've done?" Seulgi dusted herself and frowned at Irene, while furrowing her brows. “Did you know how broken she was? Did you see her tear-stained face? Did you hear her crying out for you? Crying about how much it hurts loving you? Actually, Irene,” Seulgi pauses, eyeing the crestfallen look on Irene’s face. “Did you even bother listening to her in the first place?”

Irene took a deep breath before looking down in shame.

Seulgi ruffled her hair in frustration. “No, I don’t think you did. You gave her the cold shoulders while trying to get her attention. You know what? You’re so selfish. As if you like her back but then push her away!”

          Joy and Yeri swallowed dryly, their hands finding each other, getting ready to step in if anything happens. Seulgi waited. Irene looked up back at her again. “She…I was scared.” She started quietly. “So was Wendy.” Seulgi icily replied. “Irene, of course she knew about your past. She waited patiently for you to open up and tell her directly because she didn’t want to hear the truth from anyone else.”

          Irene took a deep breath, seemingly unaffected by Seulgi’s reply. She stared at Seulgi in the eyes, her once trembling hands now formed a fist, clenched tightly. “I want to fix everything, Seulgi. I…I always felt the same way.” Her voice was quiet, three pairs of eyes gazing at her. “I…I love her.”

"I love her. I love her so much. But I was scared-I-I'm not anymore!"

"So will you please tell me?" Irene pleaded, and Seulgi searches her eyes to see how desperate Irene was. But Seulgi would never go soft on the one that hurt Wendy. "I may be dumb, but I'm not dumb enough to tell you that she went to the airport to Canada!"

Canada? Irene panicked and for once, thanked God that Seulgi was a bit of a klutz.

"…Thanks Seulgi!"

Irene dashed out of the house leaving Seulgi confused. Yeri burst out laughing and Joy shook her head in disbelief. "Well done, Seulgi. Well done. You just turned this drama into comedy." Only Seulgi. Joy shook her head. That's when Seulgi realized and groaned. "Oh crap, Wendy's going to destroy me!"

Yeri stopped laughing and looked like she was thinking of something. "Wait, what time did Wendy leave, exactly?"

"I wouldn’t know. But I think she left an hour ago since she was here when I fell asleep. " Seulgi grumbled. "Oh well then, let's throw a surprise welcome party here." Joy cheered. Yeri jumped up excitedly, "I'mma go get the chicken!" But before she could go out, Seulgi spoke again, “She can’t. She can’t come back.”

The two looked at her in surprise. “Even if she wanted to, she can’t stay.”

“W-Why? Isn’t she leaving because of Irene unnie?”

Seulgi sighed heavily before plopping herself back on Wendy’s bed.

“No. She was supposed to transfer out earlier this semester. But she convinced her father and sister to stay because of Irene.” The revelation made the two youngsters drop on the floor. “She’s supposed to take over her father’s company because her sister refused to take up Business and pursued medicine. Her father complied because both of them agreed that Wendy seemed to be a better CEO in the future.”

“So even if Irene unnie did reach Wendy in time…” Yeri realized.

“Wendy will probably run away. The fool made a promise to Irene that she won’t ever bother and show her face to her again.” Seulgi bit her lower lip.

“Wendy will have to leave.”

“B-But she’ll come back, right?” Yeri frowned, upset.

“She will, maybe after two years if she convinces her father.”

That made Joy and Yeri feel a little bit better. Yeri got up shakily. “Well, let’s still order chicken to make Irene unnie feel better when she comes home.” Hastily, she went out the room and left Seulgi and Joy in silence. Which was very unusual for Seulgi because Joy has never been quiet before. Nor did she have a grimace on her face.

"So..." Seulgi started hesitantly. To be honest, Seulgi wasn't sure if Joy and she were close. At least, for the bear, she thinks they're close. Joy coughed out loudly and stared at her carefully, while the bear tilted her head to the side, smiling nervously.

"Did you confess to her last night?"

Seulgi sighed. Joy was the only person who knew her feelings for Wendy. Joy had confronted her the year the met. She admitted easily that she was in love with Wendy. She thought Joy would laugh or be disgusted but she did neither of those things. Instead, she gave Joy a very tight hug. But afterwards, they didn’t talk much and Joy always avoided these topics with Seulgi, giving the older the idea that Joy didn’t trust her or that they weren’t close enough.

The bear shook her head. "I didn't want to confess anyway. I'd rather keep these feelings in a bottle."

Joy prompted though. "But you can't move on from that." Seulgi raised her brows at her. "What do you mean?"

"You have to share the pain with someone else."

"Pain?"

Joy stared at her in the eyes and opened , saying, "You're in pain, Seulgi."

And Seulgi was. She let out a forced laugh.

"Isn't that better? I won't worry Wendy then."

"No, it's not!" Joy yelled, and Seulgi jumped in surprise. "J-Joy?" Joy breathed. "You know, someone is always here for you but you didn't see her too. I just wanted you to know that someone who loves you is here all along." Joy’s face was flushed. She stomped her way out of Wendy’s house, cursing under her breath.

And it dawned on Seulgi.

"What do you mean-Hey, Joy come back here!"

They ran out, not noticing Yeri who was leaning her back on the wall outside of Wendy's bedroom, her arms crossed and an amused look on her face.

"Oh, well then, I should go find me a love life too."

~.~.~.~

As soon as Irene stepped out of the cab and threw the money to the driver, she ran towards the immigration area where she hoped Wendy would still be. People gave her strange looks since she was running around, back and forth. But only one thing ran in her mind.

WEEEEENDDDYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

Irene was frustrated seeing so many American and other foreigners with blonde hair.

'Curse you blondes and brunettes that aren't Wendy!'

That's when Irene's eyes fell on a familiar short blonde who was wearing a denim polo and black jeans, dragging a blue luggage behind her, walking slowly towards the passport checking area: A line Irene will not be allowed to cross.

Irene Bae yelled loudly that people once again gave her strange looks, and probably Wendy-named people also turned around but the person Irene was focusing on didn't turn, only stopped in her tracks-

And then lifted her baggage before breaking into a run which made Irene gaped like a fish, which soon turned into gritted teeth and her eyebrow twitched.

"SON SEUNGWAN DON'T YOU DARE RUN AWAY FROM ME!"

But the girl only ran faster which broke Irene's heart. It hurt seeing Wendy run away from her. But that didn't break her resolve. She ran after the girl. "Wendy! Stop!" She huffed. But Wendy didn't even turn and she dashed towards the passport checking, and Irene stopped when two guards blocked her way.

"Please, I just need to talk to my friend over there!" She pleaded them, hoping that at least her so called gorgeous face would be useful. The guards hesitated. "What's your relationship with her?"

"I…”

But the guards just shot her apologetic frowns. "We're sorry miss. But we’re really not allowed to let people here. We’ll you back to the waiting area." Ouch.

It seems like the passport checking and questioning was done because Wendy passed the line and stopped, slowly turning to Irene who was still being blocked by body guards who were twice the height of Irene.

They stared at each other before Wendy smiled sadly. "I promised you, didn't I? Please don't make me break it, because I never break promises." She said loudly where the people turned their attention to Irene who was trying not to cry.

'Go on a date with me. And I'll stop following you around, I'll stop courting you, and you'll never see me again.’

 

Wendy looked away as a guard ushered her to continue walking and Irene just wanted to shout and stop her.

But she couldn't move.

She was frozen again.

Irene was frustrated. Too frustrated. "Please don't leave!" She yelled, but Wendy was too far away now and the guards were trying to pull her away, for gaining attention.

'Wendy!'

And she burst into tears. As if the walls she’s been keeping up had finally broken down, as if the stress and worry had finally broke through, flooding her with so many emotions that Irene thinks it was too much for her.

“Wendy! Wendy I’m in love with you too!” She shouted at the top of her lungs, burning as her eyes glistened with tears, fogging her sight. People gave her looks, and her outburst seemed to have taken the guards back.

People be damned!

Wendy was the type to keep every promise she knew she is able to do and Irene just-

Irene cried, not caring if she gets dragged away or if people would say rude things about her. Damn you all. She closes her hands as the guards muttered under their breaths before pulling Irene, “Come on, now. You’ve told the person what you wanted to.” The ebony shakily turned around, almost tripping on her feet but a hand stopped her.

          Her eyes widened as tears continued dripping down her face when a pair of familiar arms hugged her from behind and forced her to turn around. She found herself face-to-face with Wendy. She froze, lips still quivering as she whimpered. Wendy only had a blank look on her face, plump lips formed in a line, her eyes looking eagerly at Irene. “Say that again.”

"Calling on the passengers: Flight for Canada in ten minutes, gates are now opening."

And Irene realized that this was her last chance of seeing Wendy again.

          Wendy let out a trembling breath, her lips trying to smile even when her eyes glistened. “What was that, Joohyun?” Her voice slip out of her lips softly. Something below a whisper, and Irene’s eyes struggled to keep themselves open because of the tears that continued falling. Wendy slowly cupped her face, before her other hand carefully wiped away the tears.

“I-I’m…I’m in love with you too…” Irene choked, her hands tugging on Wendy’s clothes shyly before gripping them and burying her face on Wendy’s shirt. “I love you…” And Irene repeated this for the next few seconds.

“Y-You mean it?” Wendy replied, tucking Irene’s strands of hair behind her ears. “Y-You’re not doing this out of pity?” Irene immediately stared at Wendy in the eyes, doing her best to explain everything, and Wendy only smiled at her. She proceeds lifting Irene’s face before cupping it and kissing her continuously on each and every side.

“Thank you…Thank you.

“Miss Son, you’re going to miss your flight.” The guard interrupts, sad to break the scene in front of them. How nice it must have been to have someone caring for you.

The two looked up at him and Wendy sighed. She retrieves her hands but Irene gripped on hers tightly. “Don’t leave…Please don’t leave now.” Irene childishly says, shaking her head furiously.

“Joohyun-er, Unnie, I have to.” Wendy avoided her gaze. “If you’re here, then Seulgi must have told you.” Her eye twitched. That Bear can’t keep a secret huh. “I have to do this, Joohyun.” Wendy tries again, but Irene didn’t even try letting her go. She sighs.

“Why? Why do you have to? When are you coming back?”

“I have to if I want to stay with you.” Wendy furrowed her brows. “Did Seulgi not say? I’m leaving because I have to settle something back in Canada. If I don’t, then my dad wouldn’t want me to stay here.”

“The only reason I stayed here was because of you.”

~.~.~.~

Wendy handed her ticket over to the flight attendant and she entered the open door connected to the plane. But for a moment, she stopped once more and looked at Irene through the glass window that separated the both of them. She raised her hand and waved goodbye, and Irene could make out what she said:

"I’ll come back."

For you.

.

Late

Irene has never been late.

But she realized her feelings too late.

But Wendy didn’t say goodbye this time. So Irene feels at peace.

~.~.~.~

          When Irene found her way back home with a distraught expression, she opened the door of her house only to be shocked. “Huh?!” She jumped up in fear when she heard a loud ‘pop!’ and a bouquet of chicken was shoved in front of her face.

“Welcome back, Irene unnie!” a chorus of voices rang.

Irene blinked. In front of her was her parents, Seulgi, Joy and Yeri. “W-What?” Irene stuttered. Joy pulled her inside towards their kitchen were an array of different foods were displayed. “W-What’s all this?” She asked, suspicion in her voice as she looked at her parents who smiled at her fondly.

“These three claimed to be your friends and told us what happened. Hyun-ah, we’re here to support you.” Her mother states. “Yes, yes, Joohyun. We’ve seen and heard so much about this Son Wendy and we’ve been waiting for months for you to answer her!” Her father chirped.

“We want to be there for you until Wendy unnie comes back!” Yeri adds happily while stealing a piece of chicken from the bouquet Irene was holding. Joy laughed heartily at Irene’s dumbfounded expression. “You’re a bit slow. Slower than Wendy unnie. In short, we want to be closer friends with you!”

“I…I don’t know what to say.” Irene blinked.

          Someone coughed and she turned her attention behind Joy, where Seulgi stood. The kitchen was filled with silence as Seulgi stepped out uncomfortably, finding the ground interesting. Joy and Yeri nudged her from both sides, whispering ‘C’mon, unnie.’ And then she gulps down before looking up at Irene who also looked at her. “I…Um…”

“Ialsowanttobefriends.” Seulgi muttered, but Irene heard it loud and clear.

 

And a smile found it’s way to Irene’s once disheartened face.

 

“Thank you…”

 

I’ll be waiting, Wendy.

 

There was a love story in a certain university that swayed the hearts of students from the same school and the next. Everyone knew about the senior volleyball captain who was courted by the dashing and angel-like female, basketball captain who was a year younger.

Their story was a bit cliché. But it will always be Irene’s favorite story.

 

Happy endings are only reserved to be placed on the shelves of bookstores.

But who said it was the end?

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

A/N: I think I'm on crack. I don't know if this is angsty or comedy or what. XD You guys guess. Thank you for reading, please subscribe, comment and upvote~ I would love to hear your thoughts! Also-
#RedVelvet4thWin

 

P.s. I was listening to Adele's Make You Feel My Love while writing the dramatic parts.

 

Heavily unedited.