Is Love Enough?

melancholy and bliss

Irene's smile widened the moment she saw her girlfriend sitting alone in a bench while facing the Han river. 

Hair disheveled because of the wind blowing past her, monolid eyes staring at the calm water just in front of her, and her beautiful face that screams serenity makes Irene's heart skip a beat.

She felt lucky. She didn't know what she did in her previous life to deserve such pretty girl, to deserve such perfect girl. 

She's all Irene ever wanted and more.

“Hi Babe.” Irene greeted the girl, plopping herself beside the woman and planting a kiss on her cheek. Irene grinned at Seulgi expecting her to do the same but instead, a painful look took her by surprise as Seulgi looked rather uncomfortable sitting beside her. 

“Is something wrong?” Her hand searched for Seulgi's but the latter was fast enough to hide her hand inside her coat's pocket, leaving Irene's hand in the air, searching for that particular warmth that only Seulgi's hand can provide.

“L-Let's break up.”

She heard that shattering sound that her heart made, she felt the butterflies die, she felt her head spin in confusion. She felt her heart break after hearing Seulgi say those words. 

Never had she expected Seulgi to initiate the break up. She never thought that they would even break up. She never imagined they would soon be apart.

She felt the first set of tears fall, then the next, until its falling uncontrollably and she was sobbing hard. But she never tore her eyes away from her girlfriend, hoping that the bear she loves would smile and take back her words or tell her that it was just a prank. That she didn't mean to hurt Irene, That she wasn't serious in breaking up.

But it never came. 

“W-What?”

Seulgi stared at her, her eyes sad and tears b, threatening to fall. Between the two of them, Seulgi was the crybaby, the one who has the weaker heart, the one who breaks down a lot. 

But this time, it was the other way around, Irene was the one breaking down, Irene was the one with tears falling from her eyes, and Seulgi, Seulgi kept her tears checked, preventing it from falling and showing Irene her weakness. 

It's her decision anyway, She needs to be strong enough to be able to break this relationship up. 

“Y-you're kidding, right? Babe, it's not funn-” 

“Irene, stop.” 

Irene's desperate. She wants to touch Seulgi, she wants to hold Seulgi, she wants to be in Seulgi's arms, but Seulgi denied. She pushed Irene away making more tears fall, making Irene feel even more devastated. 

“Irene, we both know that it's not working. We already tried our best in keeping this relationship intact but we failed, this.. All of this failed. Let's be honest, we're not meant for each other.” She felt her hands being held by Irene, and in lightning speed, she took it away again. Removing Irene's hold from her.

They both know that it wasn't just Irene's hold that she wants to remove, it was also her relationship with her. 

And by this, Irene sobbed like a child hurting, like a child being left alone in a cold, dark room where she have nothing to hold on to. Where she couldn't see the light she wants to hold on to.

“We can still try, right? I love you and you love me, we can make it work, righ-”

“Iren-”

“Do you still love me, Seulgi?” Irene asked, her last string of hope, her last chance of holding Seulgi. Her eyes filled with hope and longing, she couldn't let Seulgi go. She couldn't live without Seulgi. Hell, she sees Seulgi as her oxygen, her source of life. 

And if Seulgi leaves, what would happen to Irene? 

“I do.” Irene's lit up, the fire inside her ignited, it was as if life came back making her feel more alive. She stood up, pulling Seulgi with her, her smile making its way again on her face but was immediately removed the moment she heard Seulgi's next words.

“But we can't love each other.”

She felt her hold on Seulgi loosen until they were completely detached, until they were no longer connected. 

“Irene, no one accepts us. Not in this community, not in this country. My family detest my relationship with you, they are disgusted, they loathe us. My friends, they look at me as if I'm ill. As if I hold a nasty disease that could kill them. Even the people around us look at us like we're monsters.” Seulgi took a deep breathe, encouraging herself to continue and let everything out. Stopping herself from breaking in front of the girl she's going to hurt. 

“Irene, we're sinners.” Irene's heart broke at what Seulgi had just said, she didn't think she would hear those words coming out from Seulgi, she didn't think Seulgi sees them different from other couples. She didn't think Seulgi would call them as such, as sinners.

“But I love you. Please don't do this, I don't care about what people say or what they think about us. I love you, baby. Remember that.” 

With the courage she have left, she cupped Seulgi's face making her eyes look at her own pair and the tears that falls from it.

Seulgi's heart broke, she can't take the sight of Irene crying and begging, she knows she'll hate herself forever for hurting the person she loves, she'll never forgive herself. 

Her heart softened, so when Irene pulled her face towards her own, pressing her lips on Seulgi's chapped ones, she couldn't resist. She could break Irene's heart but not deny Irene's kiss. 

And with that one action, Seulgi broke the dam. She responds to the kiss with eagerness and with tears flowing freely down her face. Seulgi poured all of her unsaid emotions in that one kiss, that one kiss that took her breath away, that one kiss that shook her world, that one kiss that would be their last kiss.

It was a farewell kiss.

They both know that. Once they broke apart, their foreheads rested against each other, breathing the same air, mixing their tears, and eyes staring at each other for what seems like a life time.

“I love you, Seulgi.” Irene breathed. Hoping that the latter would take her words back, hoping that Seulgi will take her back and never let her go. 

She closed her eyes once she felt Seulgi's cold lips touch her forehead.

“I know.” 

She then stared at Irene. Eyes full of sadness and longing.

“But Love is not enough.”

T H E E N D

 

a/n: idunno. Too much angst. anywaay, i love reading your comments it makes me want to continue writing. So far, what's your favorite one shot in M&B?