Speak Now

melancholy and bliss

It was a beautiful morning. Birds flying high above while singing a chirpy tune that makes everyone that hears them smile peacefully by themselves. A lot of people got out of their houses and took a walk down the streets of the city just to breathe in the cool, fresh air that the morning offers. 

It was a perfect day to celebrate.

A perfect day for a wedding.

The church was crowded by people who had a similar look of excitement and giddiness on their faces. Their smiles happy and wide, their eyes delighted and bright, and their gestures exaggerated and jumpy. They chatted with each other about the bride and the groom, talking animatedly, exchanging stories, laughing wholeheartedly.

Everyone was in a joyful mood.

Except for one lone girl. 

The girl who stood behind the crowd with eyes careful and cautious, movements counted and almost invisible, trying to blend in, trying to fit in. She wore a white dress that stops just above her knees, her hair flowing behind her back and on her shoulders carelessly, it frames her small, beautiful face perfectly. She looks beautiful even without her exerting effort. Though, her beautiful face scrunches with anxiety whenever people would pass her way and send her a glance, she often smiles at them innocently, praying inside that they wouldn't notice that she wasn't supposed to be there, Wasn't supposed to be standing with them, wasn't supposed to be inside the church. She's a gate crasher.

She knew the bride.

Knew her very well, she knew the bride's crescent eyes, memorized how the bride's smile would lift her cheeks, perfectly carved the feeling of how the bride's hand would fit hers. She knew everything about the bride, how the bride would sing melodiously in the shower, how she unconsciously dance to a random beat, how she gets giddy whenever she sees a can of pringles, how she acts like a child when she wouldn't give her what she wants, how clingy she is in the morning yet gets awkward every time they get too close in public, how the bride loves kissing her forehead because she's shorter, how the bride would kiss her cheeks affectionately, how the bride would kiss her neck sensually, how the bride would touch her whenever they make love. She memorized all of it. She memorized all of her. 

Yet, she's not the one the bride's going to marry. She's not the one that's going to walk down the aisle. She's not the one that's going to hold her tight tonight after the ceremony.

She sighs, her fingers fiddling with each other out of nervousness. She scans the room full of unfamiliar happy faces that seems to be excited for the marriage. She tries to search for something different, tries to search for someone who had the same look of anxiousness, someone who could possibly feel the way how she feels right as of the moment.

And she sees one, thankfully.

She saw Seungwan, worriedly marching her way towards where she quietly stood. She straightened her form and prepares to receive the scolding of her friend that knows her story with the bride to be. 

“Joohyun, what are you doing here?” Seungwan quickly held her hand and dragged her outside, their heels clanking noisily against the tiled floor of the church with hurried and heavy steps. They situated themselves away from the flock of visitors who came to witness the beautiful ceremony. 

“I-I wanted to see h-her.” she timidly answers, head hung low and fingers fumbling. She easily gets nervous, she's a worrywart, a jumpy ball inside a small body. Seungwan looks exasperated, hands curling beside her, eyes looking around to see if someone's spying on the both of them. “Joohyun, you know you'll only hurt yourself.” 

“I just wanted to see her,” she tries to stop and push the tears that had came and threatened to fall out from her eyes. She gulped before continuing. “f-for the last time.” 

“What if you break down in the middle of the ceremony?” 

“I-I won't.”

It wasn't sure. She wasn't sure if she would be able to hold herself while she watches her lover get married to someone who is not her. She's wasn't sure if she could hold back the tears if it actually happened. But she'll try. She promised herself that she'll try. 

“Let her watch.” the duo jumped by the sudden voice and turned around to look, their eyes widened in fear thinking that they got caught but then they sighed in relief upon seeing two of their friends. Sooyoung and Yerim.

“What do you mean?” Seungwan asks. The newcomers rolled their eyes in unison as they fixed their judging gaze on Seungwan. 

“Let her watch and ruin the ceremon—”

“Are you serious?”

“I'm not going to r-ruin the ceremony!” 

The notorious duo smirked upon hearing the immediate responses from their elders. The older girls looked bewildered and stunned because of what they had implied. Joohyun shook her head furiously to disagree. 

“I couldn't and would never ruin the ceremony. It'll change her life for the better, this marriage will change her life. She's better off without me, we all know that.” 

“No, she isn't.” Sooyoung crossed her arms over her chest, one brow raising making her look more intimidating and scary. Joohyun couldn't believe this frightening girl is actually two years younger than her. “Look, Seulgi's aggravated by the fact that her parents had hooked her up with some random rich guy that she doesn't even know and she's beyond raging because she's here, wearing a ing white wedding dress and is about to exchange vows with a person she doesn't even love.” 

“Joohyun, you need to save Seulgi. She wants you to marry her, wants you for the rest of her life. But she couldn't do anything against her parent's will, she couldn't do anything if she's alone. We all know that Seulgi deserves to be happy, this doesn't make her happy, Joohyun.” Joohyun purses her lips, eyes darting back and forth to Yerim and Sooyoung who had surprisingly spoke to her with sense and not just about pranks and savagery. 

“But she shouldn't be with me. She'll be miserable if she ends up with me. Her parents, her friends, the people around her would look at her like she's a monster.”

“Just—Damn It! Just forget about what other people would say and just follow what your heart desires!” Joohyun ignores Sooyoung's outburst and faces Seungwan who was lost in her own thoughts. Seungwan's Seulgi's best friend and if there's someone who she needs to talk about Seulgi's fate and who's she's going to end up with, It's going to be Seungwan.

“Seungwa—”

“Go after her.” 

She doesn't need to be told twice.

---


She couldn't find the right time. She couldn't sneak inside Seulgi's station where the girl's preparing for the ceremony. Relatives and visitors had gathered up inside the girl's station to congratulate her as well as the groom. Seulgi wasn't left alone and that made Joohyun had a hard time. 

Until the ceremony started, she still hasn't talked to Seulgi yet. Everyone settled on their rightful chairs, the earlier hype dying down and the seriousness and anticipation dominated the church. Joohyun sat herself at the end of the row, alone. No one would notice her there, no one will bat her an eye, she doesn't seem to look unusual to anyone. So she sat, hands fiddling and mind getting hazy. She caught sight of Sooyoung, Yerim and Seungwan at the front row, looking back at her worriedly, they would turn their heads to her direction every now and then to check up on her, she would send them an assuring smile every time.

A soft melody played and everyone felt the overwhelming feeling of happiness as the double doors of the church opened and revealed a very beautiful young woman in a white, breathtaking long wedding gown that hugs her curves in the most perfect places. Irene felt her breath hitching at the sight of her lover, walking down the aisle with careful steps and a hand looped around her father's. She felt her heart breaking when she noticed Seulgi's eyes beneath the veil that covered her face, it looked solemn, scared and unsure. She wanted to run and meet the girl at the center of the aisle and steal her away from the groom but that would make her look desperate and pathetic. She stopped the tears that was threatening to fall from her eyes when her lover passed by in front of her, not even casting her a glance. Seulgi didn't know she was there, didn't know that she will come, she never sent Joohyun an invitation, afraid that she would only break the older girl's heart even more.

The ceremony was smooth and flawless, no interruptions, no one intrude, not that they think off because Joohyun had been quietly observing and watching the marriage happen with sad and broken eyes. No one noticed the intruder at the last row, quietly mourning for her broken heart.

And then she heard the priest say, her heart skipped a beat, the adrenaline rushing pass her veins, “To those who disagree to this marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace.”

Joohyun stood up with shaking hands and trembling knees, she felt like fainting, felt like she should just run and hide. Horrified looks from everyone inside the room but she was only looking at her—at Seulgi. 

Seulgi. Her Kang Seulgi looked at her with the same adoring smile that she always gave, looked at her with that same familiar loving eyes, looked at her as if she was waiting for her all along.

The judging gaze from the crowd doesn't matter anymore. 


---


“What happened after that, Ms. Irene?” the small voice of her student asked with wide expectant eyes that made Irene come and reach for his chubby cheeks before she squeezed it. The boy giggled cutely, with his cheeks rising a bit and eyes squinting cutely. “That's the end of the story, Minseok-ah.” 

“Did Joohyun and Seulgi ran away?” kyungsoo eagerly asked, crawling a bit to hear his teacher's words clearly. Irene smiled, closed the book she was holding and rested it on the floor before carrying Kyungsoo on her lap. “If that's what you want to happen, then yes, they ran away after that.” Joohyun answered, she ran a hand on Kyungsoo's smooth hair while the boy nodded vigorously with a cute pout on his face. 

“I imagine you as Joohyun, Ms. Bae.” Soojung commented while she lays on her tummy with her chin resting on both of her hands. Irene looked at her student with a surprised look on her face, “Why is that, Soojung-ah?”

Soojung hummed in response, looking up thoughtlessly before she shrugged. “I don't know, Ms. Bae. But the Joohyun in the story sounds like she would look like you, I just don't know if you have found your Seulgi yet.” Irene's mouth hung agape at how her 7 years old student could talk like an adult. Soojung has always acted and talked maturely despite her young age. 

A knock on the door and everyone turned to look, when it opened Soojung shot up from her seat and ran towards the door upon seeing her older cousin, peeking her head cutely to seek for her.

Irene's breath hitched at the sight of a girl's face, ears big, eyes monolided that disappeared into thin slits upon seeing the seven year old kid running towards her direction, the girl smiled widely before she opened her arms to meet the child. Irene heard Soojung giggle before placing a peck on the adult's cheeks making the unknown girl smile so big and bright that Irene thinks it could rival the sun. 

“Ms. Bae, this is my Cousin, Ddeulgi-Unnie.” Soojung dragged her cousin towards where she had previously been, the Ddeulgi, as what Soojung named her, awkwardly smiled and scratched her nape nervously. Irene stood up from her seat, placing Kyungsoo to sit on the floor and faced the other adult in the room with a friendly smile on her face.

“Hi, I'm Irene Bae, Soojung's teacher.” she introduced herself and politely bowed, she saw the girl's cheeks color a tint of red, pushing it aside, the girl bowed. “I'm Kang Seulgi, Soojung's cousin. I'm here t—”

“Oh! She's the Seulgi in the story! Ms. Bae found her partner!” Minseok jumped from his seat and pulled Kyungsoo with him to hop around the two adults. Soojung giggled at the sight, Seulgi looked lost and misplaced, she didn't get what the boys said but upon seeing the teacher's reaction, Irene blushed furiously, her cheeks tainting a rosy red against her pale white skin, Seulgi smiled. 

So, she decided to play along.

“Y-Yeah. I'm that Seulgi. Ms. Bae's partner.” 

Seulgi swore, it was the noisiest time of her life when the kids started jumping around, screaming like retards, some even stood by the table and started happily dancing to an unheard song. 

But then no one mattered at that moment.

Except for the pretty teacher in front of her, blushing furiously while fanning her face with her hand.

She giggled, Oh how she wish she will be Irene's partner.

Not just in some fairytale story, but also in real life.


-•-

jeyeon

obviously, this one's based on swift's song. loool. 

p.s: i have this one friend that bugs me to update, and here's one. This one is sooo lame so if u want to blame someone, blame my friend, she made me write something so lame. loool.