Chapter 5 Part 1

Opposites Attract

Baekhyun was never the one to be oblivious. And he prided himself on that. He knew if someone liked him. He knew if he liked someone. And he also was never a coward. He never kept quiet after knowing such things. But they say there’s a first for everything.

Christmas was one of Baekhyun’s most favorite holidays. The snow on the roads, the lights on everything, and the music on the streets. That was the best feeling in the world for him. So, despite being warned against it (by both his manager and members), the cheery little man waddled along the snowy roads of Christmas eve. He loved being around people, sure. But he also enjoys a little alone time occasionally (though not as much as Kyungsoo in his opinion).

Christmas is the time to be spent with family, friends and significant others. But for Baekhyun and s, it’s also the only time they get to have some time for themselves. So, it wasn’t weird to find him walking alone, skipping a little as he went for last minute Christmas shopping. He was properly disguised, he was sure, with his cap and mouth mask, not to mention his very average looking clothes. Smiling at the shops with the cheery Christmas music, families and couples walking hand in hand, he felt a pang of loneliness when people stared at him in pity while passing.

“Oppa?! Baekhyun Oppa!” he heard a few voices call his name. He looked towards the voices to find a bunch of school girls looking at him in curiosity and excitement. He felt his heart beat faster in sudden fear and pretended not to notice them, as he quickened his pace to escape them. He loved his fans, but he really wanted to spend the day without interferences. He heard footsteps behind him increase in pace, almost like running. With a small gasp of realization, he started running too, turning around a corner only to find the street to be filled with people walking. Relief floods him as he manages to mingle among the crowd. It was short lived however, as he heard the same girls’ voices calling to him again in a few seconds.

By now, the number of girls chasing him increased, making it harder for him to slip away. He quickly rushed into a small store nearby, pulling out his phone in panic. A couple of rings and impatient drumming of fingers on legs later, he heard a small ‘Hello’.

“Kyungsoo! I’m being chased by fangirls and I don’t know what to do! Help me!” Baekhyun whispered furiously into the phone. A few seconds of silence later, he heard Kyungsoo’s firm voice. “Where are you?”

“I’m in Myeongdong, in a small clothes shop. There are fans searching for me outside and I might be exposed any second now” he cried, looking around frantically.

“A small shop is too risky. Find a large store with many people. You need space to escape if they find you. Buy a hat and jacket in the store you are now in. Change into them before you go out. Send me your location now and after you get into a bigger store. I can be there in 15 minutes. Stall until then” Kyungsoo instructed him calmly before he hung up the call.

15 minutes and an outfit change later, Baekhyun stood in a dark corner of one of the biggest shops in the street, waiting for Kyungsoo to arrive. He was now worried that they might find Kyungsoo. Before he can continue his thoughts, he found a hand on his shoulder, making him jump a little as a low gasp escaped his mouth. He turned around in fear only to find a small man, dressed in all black, looking in all directions carefully.

“Kyungsoo! You’re here!” Baekhyun beamed in relief as he caught the shorter man’s hand in his own. Kyungsoo only nodded, still searching the premises for any sign of fans.

“Sorry for bothering you Soo. I should have called manager hyung. I don’t know why I called you” Baekhyun apologized, his grip on Kyungsoo’s hands loosening a little. Kyungsoo didn’t say anything, instead dragging Baekhyun with a small ‘come on’.

Baekhyun followed Kyungsoo as they reached the back entrance, the one for staff only.

“I called them up and asked for assistance, my car could not enter the street due to the crowd. We need to get there by our own” Kyungsoo states as he pulls Baekhyun along. “And you did good, calling me. All the manager hyungs are away with family remember? And Junmyeon hyung has enough on his plate” he continued, glancing at Baekhyun with a small smile. Baekhyun felt a wide smile break out on his own face as he heard the words.

“We need to cross the road, I left my car two streets down” Kyungsoo informed as they reach the road. One street later, they hear loud shouts behind them. Kyungsoo looks back and turns to Baekhyun, his eyes wide.

“Run”