Chapter 11

Opposites Attract

Squinting his eyes, Baekhyun leaned closer to the glass window in annoyance. He wishes for the tenth time today that the room wasn’t sound proof. He cannot hear a thing! Frowning at the two figures laughing at the far end of the room, he let out a frustrated cry.

“Spying on Kyungsoo, Baek?”

Baekhyun yelped in surprise at the voice as he turned around to see a very amused man smirking at him.

“Minseok hyung! What are you doing here?” Baekhyun laughed nervously at the elder.

Minseok raised an eyebrow. “Shouldn’t I be asking you that? Why are you peeping into the practice room where Kyungsoo and Somin are practicing?” he asks, hands folded as he stared at Baekhyun expectantly.

“Ha! Practicing? I didn’t know giggling and laughing like two hyenas is called practicing!” Baekhyun scoffed bitterly. At Minseok’s pointed look, Baekhyun laughs nervously, hand pushing his hair back.

“I was just making sure he’s doing fine. You know how I helped him practice. So…uh…I just wanted to see how he is doing” Baekhyun explains, eyes not meeting Minseok’s. Minseok gave him a disbelieving look. “Right… why don’t you just go in and check on him then?” Minseok pushed him through the door before Baekhyun can figure out what was happening. He stumbles in and straightens up only to find both Kyungsoo and Somin looking at him in bewilderment. Baekhyun looks behind him but Minseok is nowhere to be found. Cursing the older, he looks back to the practicing duo with a tentative smile.

“Hey Kyungsoo! This must be Somin? Hello Somin-ssi, I’m Baekhyun. Nice to meet you” he smiles at Somin as he approaches them both. Somin breaks into a smile and bows. “Ah! Hello Baekhyun-ssi, I’m Somin.” She’s really pretty. She’s also the perfect height for Kyungsoo. Baekhyun notices how she leans towards Kyungsoo a little. Smile faltering a little, Baekhyun looks at Kyungsoo to find him staring back curiously.

“Ah! I just wanted to see how your practice is going on” Kyungsoo’s expression softens as he nods in realization.

“It’s fine. I think I’m doing better than before” Kyungsoo admits with a small smile.

“Don’t be so modest Kyungsoo-Oppa!”, Somin remarks and then turning towards Baekhyun, “He is absolutely a natural at acting. I didn’t think he could pull off being romantic to be honest. But wow! He was just so believable! I fell for him a little when he was staring so intently!”. She looks back at Kyungsoo, blush evident on her pale cheeks as she smiles at him. Baekhyun felt his jaw tighten as Kyungsoo laughed in embarrassment, denying all praises while leaning a little closer to her.

 

Kyungsoo’s movie was a huge success and his acting was outstanding, as always. Baekhyun knows because he was the first in the group to watch it. But no one needs to know that he threw popcorn at Somin (on the screen) when her character confessed to Kyungsoo’s. Or how he almost broke the poor TV when they kissed. Nope. No one needs to know.

Baekhyun keeps up with the fake relationship with Jongdae. Thankfully, Kyungsoo respects privacy and has never slipped up to other members. He has never asked them to kiss either, for which Baekhyun is eternally grateful. He thus doesn’t have to try very hard to pretend. But they have a small break now. And all the members except Kyungsoo, Jongdae and him are going on a company vacation. Just his luck that the three of them have to stay alone in their dorms. Baekhyun once again questions if his guardian angel is drunk.

And that’s how he found himself playing LoL at 11PM in the confinements of his own room, away from all the potential heart attack inducing possibilities. He was still in the middle of annihilating his opponents when he heard the door close. Kyungsoo wouldn’t be done with his filming yet. That means Jongdae is home.

“Jongdae-ah! Did you bring dinner? I’m starving!” he yelled, eyes not leaving his laptop screen.

After a few seconds of silence, he heard the door open before a soft velvety voice greets him, making him whip his head to the door.

“You didn’t eat dinner either? Give me half an hour and I’ll cook something” Kyungsoo states and leaves before Baekhyun can say anything. Baekhyun is left blinking at the door in silence.

“Baek, come on out! Dinner’s ready!” Kyungsoo calls him from the kitchen after 40 mins. Baekhyun can feel his nervousness through his sweaty palms as he makes way to the dining table. They’re going to be alone. Just the two of them. Baekhyun isn’t sure if he can handle it.

“I made kimchi fried rice”, Kyungsoo gestures to the table and with a smirk, “without Cucumbers”. Baekhyun breaks into a huge grin, his nerves calming a little at the joke as he sits to eat.

“Why are you home early?” he asks the younger as he starts eating.

“The filming is cancelled due to the rain” Kyungsoo shrugs to the window.

Dinner went by quite comfortably with Baekhyun teasing Kyungsoo and getting scolded or hit in return. They are now washing the dishes, thanks to Kyungsoo being a neat freak. Baekhyun’s heart starts to race again at the close proximity. Their hands brush every so often as they wash and dry the dishes. And every time they touch, Baekhyun is hyper aware.

“Where is Jongdae? I left him his dinner in the refrigerator. Tell him when he comes back” Kyungsoo tells him as he puts away the washed dishes.

“How would I know where he is? And you might see him before me. You tell him” Baekhyun retorts childishly. Kyungsoo turns to look at him with an eyebrow raised. “You’re his boyfriend. Why wouldn’t you know?”

Baekhyun’s eyes grow wide as he curses himself for slipping up. “Uh… I mean… we don’t really talk about stuff like that. Since its all schedule anyway” he tries to defend himself. Even to his ears, he isn’t very convincing. Kyungsoo gives him an incredulous look and nods uncertainly.

“I haven’t been able to ask with all the other members. How is everything going between you two?” Kyungsoo asks again. He seems to be very curious tonight, much to Baekhyun’s dismay.

“Uh…we’re fine. Everything’s great!” he beams with fake enthusiasm.

“When are you going to tell the others? They deserve to know too”

Baekhyun is now frustrated. He doesn’t know why. Maybe it’s the fact that Kyungsoo just asks about Jongdae and his fake relationship anytime they are together. Or maybe it was his constant encouraging smiles whenever he sees Jongdae and Baekhyun together. Or maybe he finally had enough of Kyungsoo rejecting his skinship after believing his fake relationship. Whatever it was, Baekhyun finally had enough.

“There’s nothing to tell them Kyungsoo! You wanna know why?? BECAUSE HE’S NOT MY ING BOYFRIEND!” Baekhyun yells, startling Kyungsoo who drops the plate in his hands.

Kyungsoo looks at him in shock. “What? What do you mean? Why would you say you’re dating if it’s not true?”

“Because I’m a ing idiot who’s in love with you and I wanted you to look at me for once!” Baekhyun freezes as soon as the words leave his mouth. Kyungsoo mirrors his expression, mouth opening and closing like a fish.