Chapter 1

Opposites Attract

Opposites attract. Kyungsoo has always hated that phrase. Why you ask? Because his complete opposite in EXO is Baekhyun. Some fans might argue its Chanyeol. But no, it’s Baekhyun and Baekhyun alone. Because as different as Chanyeol is from Kyungsoo, they share a bond which was initially formed because of their similar taste in music. They became friends long before Baekhyun has arrived. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are like two brothers. They are like two best friends. They tease each other. They get mad at each other. But at the end of the day, they are brothers.

This has changed when Baekhyun has stepped into the scene. Chanyeol started spending more time with Baekhyun instead of Kyungsoo which Kyungsoo didn’t mind at first. He was glad his friend was trying to make the new trainee comfortable. But Kyungsoo observed that Chanyeol started to spend all his time with Baekhyun. He sometimes didn’t even notice Kyungsoo who was right beside Baekhyun.

Now, Kyungsoo isn’t stupid. He knows that Chan and Baek are similar and so they became fast friends. He was happy for Chanyeol because he was always the hyperactive one and now he had company. Kyungsoo also knows Chanyeol doesn’t owe him anything. After all, Kyungsoo was the one who always demanded to be left alone. But what Kyungsoo doesn’t like to admit is, that he has no other friends apart from Chanyeol. Sure, there are other trainees who he is good friends with. Jongin and him are very close. But Jongin is like his little brother. He likes taking care of the younger. Junmyeon is also a good friend. But he is more of an older brother than a friend. Chanyeol is his only same aged friend in SM and he cherished that.

He didn’t hate Baekhyun at first. But that’s because Baekhyun didn’t bother him at first. And then Chanyeol got a girlfriend. That left Baekhyun with no partner in crime. So Baekhyun decided Kyungsoo would be his victim. One would have thought Kyungsoo would get along with Baekhyun since he is similar to Chanyeol. But see, Chanyeol stopped bugging Kyungsoo when the latter threatened to hurt him. Chanyeol was the rapper and Kyungsoo was the vocalist. It fit well. Chanyeol was sensitive, Kyungsoo was tough. They fit well.

Baekhyun on the other hand, Kyungsoo couldn’t figure him out. He was just as hyper as Chanyeol if not more. But he didn’t stop like Chanyeol. Baekhyun doesn’t know when to stop. When they sing together, they have similar range. That made them clash. Kyungsoo couldn’t figure out if Baekhyun is tough or just carefree. If he’s oblivious or observant. Baekhyun is like a mystery. And Kyungsoo didn’t like mysteries at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Kyungsoo aah! Where are youuu?” came a singsong voice Kyungsoo started to hate. Kyungsoo sighed hoping Baekhyun wouldn’t find him sprawled on the couch in the training room.

“Ah! There you are Soo! I have been searching everywhere for you! Let’s go to the ice cream place we all went to last week!” Baekhyun suggested excitedly. Kyungsoo opened his eyes and let out a shriek while jerking away into the couch when he saw Baekhyun staring at him with a smile, his face a little too close to Kyungsoo’s.

“Don’t get so close to my face Baekhyun! I told you! Personal space! Respect it!” Kyungsoo spat in anger while pushing Baekhyun off him.

“Yeah fine Soo! But now, let’s go okay?” Baekhyun said looking at Kyungsoo with a pout. Kyungsoo sighed dejectedly knowing Baekhyun isn’t going to leave him alone until he agrees. Besides, Kyungsoo also needed something cool to make up for the last one hour of dance practice. He just wished no one would recognize them. Even trainees in SM were tend to be recognized. And as rare as it is, Kyungsoo hates attention.

It was decided that 12 of them would be in a band together. Kyungsoo had come to terms with being in the same group as Baekhyun. But he still can’t figure out the older and it frustrates him.

“1 butterscotch and 1 vanilla chocolate with rainbow sprinkles please” Baekhyun orders before Kyungsoo can order his ice cream. Kyungsoo looks at Baekhyun in surprise as Baek pays. He didn’t think Baek would remember his favorite flavor. They head out after getting their ice creams. Kyungsoo with his chocolate and Baek with his butterscotch. That was maybe the first time Kyungsoo didn’t feel like choking the older with the yellow Pokémon toy he always played with.