For Now

The Search for Everything

Mark, Donghyuck, Renjun and Jeno’s Playlist for The Search for Everything

Castle on the Hill-Ed Sheeran

“We found the castle.”

“Yes we did.”

“We found out what alcohol tasted like.”

“Yep.”

“We found out how many times you can eat baked beans without throwing up.”

“Yes.”

“We found friends.”

“Of course.”

“We found love.”

“Thank God.”

*******************

The first day back to school (and his last forever, before graduation and prom) was really funny, for Mark at least. He and Jeno kept whispering in the hallways, judging their classmates like they were characters on some reality show they were watching. Renjun pulled his socks high up on his ankles to hide his tattoo, and when Mark saw Donghyuck sitting with his friends during lunch, he gave Donghyuck a smile, and Donghyuck instantly smiled back.

It was the kind of smile that kept secrets, like they had an unspoken rule between them. Donghyuck’s friends begged him to tell them what it is, but in true Donghyuck fashion, he just told them to off.

They took graduation photos and signed each other’s yearbook. Mark swapped phone numbers with his classmates, most of which he knew he was never going to talk to again. Funny. I used to count the days until I could get out of this place. Now that I am, I’m kind of wishing I had another day.

“If Coach Shim catches you here,” Donghyuck said, shocking Mark out of his own skin and dropping the basketball he was holding. Mark had wandered over to the school gym, where he found a stray basketball and decided to dribble with it for a while. “He’s going to throw you out.”

“Might as well.” Mark laughed. “I’m leaving anyways.”

“Yeah but you really should leave.” Donghyuck grinned. “The prom committee is going to be here in a few hours.”

“Oh,” Mark looked up, and saw a banner writing PROM 2017 and hanging rather precariously from the ceiling. “I see it now.”

“Are you still not going?”

“Yeah, because I didn’t have anyone to go with, but now,” Mark walked over to Donghyuck, a teasing smile cheekily appearing on his face. “You can be my date.”

“Wow,” Donghyuck scoffed. “You just assume I’m going to be your date? What do you think I am, a dog that you can pack in a bag and just bring with you? I have standards you know.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“Ask me to go with you. Properly.” He grinned.

“Fine,” Mark rolled his eyes but he laughed and got down on one knee in front of him. “Hyuck,” he looked up at Donghyuck, who was smiling widely at him and his cheeks were flushed pink. “Will you go to prom with me?”

“Well,” Donghyuck mused. “There are no flowers, no chocolates, no banners, no marching band. This definitely isn’t the promposal I had in mind.”

“Are you coming or not?”

“Of course I am.” Donghyuck laughed, throwing himself into Mark’s arms and kissing him. “I was just teasing you.”

“You got me worried there.” Mark chuckled. “I almost died thinking you would say no.”

“Hey, I waited a lifetime for you to ask me to the prom. I have to be drunk and out of my ing mind to say no.”

Mark dipped his head to kiss Donghyuck a little more. They smiled into their kisses as they held each other close, arms wrapped tightly around each other as the kiss grew hotter, stronger and fiercer.

PHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

“WHAT ARE YOU KIDS DOING HERE?!?!?!?”

“It’s Coach Shim RUN!!!” Mark pulled Donghyuck with him, fingers interlaced as they ran away from the angry coach, who was singing her fists in the air as she yelled and ran after them. They ran as fast as they could, laughing so loudly it filled the empty hallways with nothing but the sweet sound of youth and mischief.

*******************

They always said prom is the biggest night of any teenager’s life. They hype it up to make it sound like a life changing event where you magically transition into somebody else the night before, and missing it would mean missing out on your teenage years.

It’s safe to say Mark, Jeno, Renjun and Donghyuck had some kind of expectation, so you can imagine the disappointment on their faces when they saw that prom was really just prom. There honestly isn’t a better word to describe it, but yeah it was just…prom.

The food was okay, and so was the music selection. The theme was, of all things Une Nuit a Paris, or A Night in Paris. There was a large Eiffel Tower made of popsicle sticks painted black, tacky French café decals on the walls, and everyone was encouraged to speak French, which would make their French teacher excited and repulsed at the same time if she knew the results of her hard work teaching the language.

“Was it just me,” Jeno took out two bottles of beer from his jacket pocket after they escaped that noisy French village and onto the roof of the school gym. “Or was that really lame?”

“It was lame,” Renjun sighed, grabbing a bottle and pulling out an opener. “Did you see that cheap costume the performers had on?”

“They were trying to look like mimes.” Donghyuck laughed, taking out his bow tie and putting it in his pocket.

“They would make a better impression of a white fish gasping for air on land.” Renjun grabbed his chest and pretended he was choking. “That so bad.”

“I think we’re just spoiled.” Mark grinned. “We did go to one of the best clubs before this. Of course everything else after that is going to pale in comparison.”

“Nothing can top that,” Jeno laughed, handing Mark a bottle. “That was insane man.”

“I prefer all those nights we spent dancing and singing to songs in the van.” Donghyuck laughed. “At least we got to pick the songs we like instead of The Chainsmokers all the time.”

“I feel like this has set a bench mark for everything I do in the future.” Renjun grinned.

“That’s what epic road trips are made of.” Mark said. “They are made of sweat, tears and a a gallon of sticky soda.”

Everyone laughed their heads of as Jeno fist-bumped Mark and nearly knocked his cup over. “I mean it though,” he continued. “Sure there may be other road trips that could be even more epic, featuring a jackpot win in Vegas or a foursome with a Destiny’s Child copy band, but this will be the one we tell our grandchildren about. Because we lived through it.”

“We won’t be doing this in the States I guess.”

“Speaking of States,” Donghyuck leaned on Renjun’s folder and grabbed his arm. “I’m going to miss you so much. You are like, one of my soulmates now.”

“I’m going to miss you too Hyuck.” Renjun smiled, giving Donghyuck a warm hug. “I’ll call and text you as often as I can.”

“Hey Jeno,” Mark clinked his bottle with Jeno’s, and they both took a sip. “I’m going to miss you too.”

“Me too,” Jeno smiled. There was a hint of sadness in his eyes, and Mark was quick to notice it. “We have been tied to the hip since we were toddlers. I can’t believe I’m moving away so quickly.”

“Are you ready for it?”

“I think so,” Jeno sighed. “I have Renjun, and I got your list of useful English phrases. Besides, it’s not like I’m completely useless in the language. I’ll be fine.”

“You know, you have got more balls than any one of us.” Mark laughed. “Only you can do what you chose to do. I respect that.”

“Thanks man.” Jeno clinked his bottle, but paused before he could drink. He put the bottle down and pulled Mark into a hug. His best friend. His brother. His companion through everything. The one he argued with the most and made up 10 seconds later.

Jeno didn’t realize he was crying until he let go.

“Are you okay?” Mark asked, sniffing and blinking profusely to stop his own tears from falling.

“I’ll be okay.” Jeno sniffed, rubbing his eyes. “I’ll go get some tissues with Renjun.”

Mark watched Jeno take Renjun’s hand as they climbed back down the stairs towards the party. He felt a warm hand touch his cheek and a pair of warm lips on it.

“Are you okay?” Donghyuck asked.

“I’m fine.” Mark sniffed, breaking out into a fit of giggles because he was somewhat embarrassed to be caught like this. “Renjun is the one who is going to suffer with Jeno on his back.”

“Says the one who is trying to pretend he’s not crying.” Donghyuck sighed. “He’ll be back for summer. We’ll see each other again soon.”

“I know.”

“Oh look!” Donghyuck pointed to the field below him. “Fireworks! There’s going to be fireworks later!”

“That’s great!”

“Thank you for taking me with you.” Donghyuck said. “At least we had a good time, even if it wasn’t at prom itself.”

Mark laughed at that. “Thank you for agreeing to come with me.”

“This may be my first and last prom.”

“It shouldn’t be. You still have next year.”

“Yeah but who’s going to go with me? You may not be here.”

“Tell you what,” Mark pulled Donghyuck in his arms. “Let’s make a date for your prom next year. Right now.”

“Are you serious?” Donghyuck laughed. “You will be my date next year?”

“Yeah, why not?”

“What if you get busy with college life or something?”

“I made a promise to you, and I’m going to keep it.”

“What if you end up dating someone else?” Donghyuck leaned in closer and smiled cheekily.

Mark tipped his head at that. “Well, then that person needs to understand a promise is a promise.”

“What if they don’t?”

“Then they can off.”

Donghyuck tucked his head under Mark’s chin. They could still hear the sound of the party downstairs.

“Mark,” Donghyuck asked. “Do you think, we could be together?”

Mark sighed softly, thinking over Donghyuck’s query. “Of course.”

“I mean forever.”

“Oh. Well, hopefully. Maybe.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t want to make promises like that,” Mark explained. “We’re still young and…and you don’t deserve the word of a man who cannot keep his.”

Donghyuck looked at Mark, and deep down he knew he was right. They were too young indeed. Mark sensed Donghyuck’s hesitation and kissed him gently.

“I can’t promise you forever,” he said “But I can promise that you will always be my best friend, my soul mate, and if you want this as much as I do, then I will fight for it. Every single day, even if it’s years, decades or even longer.”

It’s foolish to think young love would last forever, but it’s even more foolish to think that young love doesn’t count, just because they are young. Donghyuck knows they have a future ahead of us that is full of twists and turns. He knows whatever that lies ahead of them is unpredictable, but he doesn’t doubt Mark. He doesn’t doubt that Mark will always be there for him, and that he does love him. He loves him now, in this very moment, standing on the roof with bottles of beer and a noisy party downstairs.

Maybe now is just as powerful as forever. Maybe now, is really all that matters.

“I want this.” Donghyuck said, looking deep into Mark’s eyes. He saw the answer in them and he smiled to no end.

“You got it.” They shared a heated kiss as the fireworks went off, illuminating the sky with bright colours and sparkling embers of flame. Mark pulled apart gently and saw the lights in the sky, painting the dark sky in colours aglow. The students had exited the hall and were now watching the fireworks. Jeno and Renjun came back just in time to witness the show.

“What did we miss?”

“Nothing.” Mark pulled Jeno to his side and the four of them watched the fireworks, arms around each other. “You are just in time.”

The fireworks blazed on while the music from the party continued downstairs. It was Young by the very band Donghyuck hated: The Chainsmokers. Mark gave Donghyuck a sly look and the younger boy just shrugged.

“Okay fine,” he said. “So this may be the only song I don’t hate with passion.”

“It’s hard when you’re young.” Renjun sang, tightening his arms around Jeno.

“Yeah,” Mark sighed, but he smiled this time. “But it’s also the best.”

*******************

I could go on with this story, but it really doesn’t matter anymore. I can’t tell you which university or college Mark decided to go to (let’s just say he was really keen on NCT U, that is). I can’t tell you what happened to Donghyuck and Mark’s relationship after prom and on the day he left for college, and I certainly can’t tell you if Mark ever felt like he was ‘ready to grow up’.

Why? Because that deserves a whole new story of its own.

My tale here is to take you through a road trip in search of everything. Did they find it? Who knows, especially if you didn’t know what you were looking for. I suppose that’s the fun part of discovering, and ultimately, living.

I don’t know why people blame me for stuff that happened in their lives. If it’s good, they thank me. If it , they start yelling at me. What am I supposed to do? I can’t please everyone. My job is to make the best out of everything, even if you must go through a few rough patches. Humans think I decide everything that happens in their lives. That’s only half true. I make my decisions based on what they do. So in short, no one else holds the key to their lives other than themselves. I think Mark knew that, because he gave me a smile and a little salute on the day he left for college.

Oh? Who am I, you ask?

My name is Fate, and this story of Mark, Donghyuck, Jeno and Renjun on The Search for Everything is over.

For now.

 

A/N: This is it. I can't believe it's over. Thank you all so much for your incredible love and support. I hope this ending works hahahahahaha! It needed to do the story justice and I hope it does. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, whether here or an AO3. You guys are amazing!