Home

The Search for Everything

Jeno’s Playlist for Road Trip Songs We Never Got a Chance to Listen To

Good Times-All Time Low

“Dude, this song is like…the anthem of this trip. Why didn’t you play it earlier?”

“Because you decided to do a medley of Taylor Swift instead.”

“No regrets though.”

“None at all.”

*******************

“Thanks for everything bro.” Donghyuck smiled, giving his brother a warm hug. “We had an amazing time.”

“It was a pleasure having you guys with us.” Jaehyun beamed. “I’ll be back home this weekend, so you can tell mum to stop worrying about me.”

“You know she never does.” Donghyuck grinned.

“Call us when you guys arrive.” Doyoung said.

“Thanks guys, Doyoung, Sicheng, Kun, Lucas and Jungwoo.” Mark shook hands with every one of them as he piled their luggage into the back of the van.

“Better get going. You guys don’t want to miss prom.” Kun said, waving them goodbye.

“Kun, how long until this web tattoo comes off? I think my mum is going to have a heart attack over this.” Renjun said, checking his foot.

“A few more days. If you want to be careful, just wear long pants until it comes off.”

“Alright guys, it’s time to hit the road!” Jeno started up the van. “Goodbye everyone!”

“Bye!!!” The boys left NCT U campus, waving goodbye to Jaehyun and his friends. “Boy, that was fun!”

“It was the perfect way to end our trip.” Jeno nodded. “I finally saw EXO live in person, and I think Xiumin smiled at me and I went to heaven.”

“Your body slumped to the ground and hit a rock. You did not ascend to the higher levels.” Renjun rolled his eyes. “What about you two? Did you enjoy yourself?”

“I’ll say we did.” Donghyuck smiled, his fingers carefully interlaced with Mark as he laid on his shoulder and snuggled comfortably against him in the backseat.

“I wish this ride would never end somehow.” Mark said.

“Same, I’m almost terrified to go back home.” Jeno shuddered.

“Relax guys, we still have one more night before we do arrive home.” Renjun smiled. “Let’s just make the best of it.”

*******************

“You know one thing I’m not going to miss on this trip?” Mark said, wiggling his toes as he looked up at the dark night sky above him, the stars shining in its sparkling brilliance. “Bugs that fly into the soup when we cook.”

“Yeah. Or how about those lizards that watch you take a leak behind a tree?” Donghyuck shuddered. “I swear it almost felt like that slimy creature was trying to judge me for the size of my .”

“I’m going to take a long, hard shower when we get home.” Renjun sniffed his own clothes. “I still smell like hot dogs from the festival.”

“I can’t believe it’s over.” Jeno sighed. They pulled out their mattress from behind the van and planted it on the ground, watching the stars move above them as their camp fire burned a few feet away. Dinner was simple, just the leftover pasta and eggs as well as bread from the van. Donghyuck tried to make hot chocolate to celebrate their last night, but when he opened one he saw ants inside. He screamed bloody murder and threw all the packs away.

“I’m going to miss you guys.” Donghyuck sniffed. “When we go back to school I’ll be with my friends and you guys will be with yours. We won’t talk that much anymore.”

“Bull. There’s nothing stopping you from coming to our lunch table to join us.” Renjun said, holding Donghyuck’s hand.

“But you guys are graduating.” Donghyuck pouted. “I’ll be a senior next year, and senior means more responsibilities, final year exams and colleges.”

“It’s not that big of a deal.” Jeno said. “You’ll know what to do when you come up to our age.”

“I wish we could all just be like this forever.” Mark sighed.

“Can we do this again next year?” Donghyuck asked. “Can you two please come back from America to do this with us?”

“Sure, or you guys could come over and we’ll do an American road trip!”

“We could go somewhere else instead! How about backpacking through Europe?”

“I need to save every dollar of my allowance but sure.” Mark laughed. “I’m down if you are!”

“I really wish we didn’t have to grow up.” Renjun huffed.

“I’m not sure if I’m ready either.” Mark nodded. “What if I make a mistake and it changes my whole life?”

“Didn’t you hear what my brother and his friends said?” Donghyuck said. “Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. And come on, I think we made a bunch of them on this trip.”

“Oh my god remember that crazy old man who threatened us for parking on his lawn?”

“Which we went skinny dipping under!!!”

“And the time we drank all those bottles of beer behind the alley?”

“And vandalised a building!”

“Jeno accidentally stole a packet of tissues from one of the gas stations we were at.”

“Renjun stepped on something he thought was a snake and he screamed so loud, knocked into a bee hive and we ran away.”

“And what about the palace?” Mark grinned.

“You are your stupid selfish had to run out under the rain and get us all wet!” Jeno reminded Mark of the trouble they went through because of him.

“Okay okay,” Mark laughed. “I’m sorry I made you guys worry about me. I’m sorry if I have been an on this whole trip. I guess I’m not very good at this.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way though.” Donghyuck squeezed Mark’s hand.

“I guess the y part of this is knowing we won’t ever have a chance like this again.” Mark squeezed Donghyuck’s hand back.

“Maybe that’s why they tell us to treasure our youth. Because it really wouldn’t come again.” Jeno said.

“I’m just glad everything worked out and we are not in jail.” Renjun cackled.

“If we can handle this trip, we can handle anything.”

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is probably the most perfect statement to round up the trip. If you can handle this trip, you can handle anything. Even life.

*******************

“Dad!! Johnny!!”

“My son!! My baby is home!” Taeyong was almost about to sprout tears from his eyes at the sight of his beloved son, but reeled back in disgust when a strong scent wafted up his nose. “Oh god!”

“Why do you smell like hot dogs, lavender, beer and dog all rolled up in one?” Johnny pinched his nose.

“Oh guys it’s a…never mind.” Mark laughed. “It’s a long story.”

“We have all the time for long stories son.” Taeyong laughed, but he touched his son at arm’s length. “Go soak in a bath and scrub yourself thoroughly. Quick! I don’t think your father can hold his breath much longer!”

*******************

“Is there anything else you would like for dinner?” Taeyong asked, scooping some more rice for his husband.

“No dad, I’m fine.” Mark smiled, gobbling down his rice and meat. “Damn, I really missed your cooking.”

“Donghyuck isn’t a good cook?” Johnny asked.

“No, he’s great, but there’s only so much spaghetti and canned beans you can eat before you get sick of it.” Mark bent down to reach his backpack on the floor by his chair. “I took some pictures and made a scrapbook of our adventures.”

“These are beautiful.” Taeyong took the book from Mark and flipped it open, pictures, polaroids and written notes were scribbled everywhere. “It looks like you had a lot of fun.”

“You don’t know the half if it.” Mark had carefully excluded some pictures and notes from his stay at Yeri’s place (his parents DID NOT need to know about a topless girl and all the alcohol he consumed). “It was quite a ride. I went to the bathroom in front of a squirrel. Trust me, I don’t know who is more traumatised, the squirrel or me.”

“Sounds like you have learnt a lot.” Johnny laughed, flipping through the pages. “What about the palace?”

“It was a dump, but it was actually kind of pretty.” Mark pointed to one of the pictures Donghyuck had taken. “I mean, imagine the history those walls could tell. Sadly it’s going to be demolished.”

“I hope you’re not too disappointed.”

“I was at first,” Mark rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. “But I got over it and started to see the place in a new light. I guess that’s just how life is. You don’t always get what you want, but if you can see the situation in a new light, everything becomes better.”

“That’s my boy.” Taeyong smiled, kissing Mark’s temple. “I’m so proud of you. You have really grown up.”

“About that,” Mark sighed. “I need to talk to you guys about something.”

Then, Mark came clean. He confessed to his fears, his worries, and how he reacted to news of Jeno and Renjun moving. He told them he was scared and afraid of college, and that he still has not made up his mind what he wants to do in the future.

“I know I’m supposed to be an adult,” Mark said. “But I don’t know how to be one, and I’m scared.”

“Oh Mark,” Johnny took Mark’s hands in his and patted it lightly. “Why didn’t you tell us about it sooner?”

“I didn’t know I was actually feeling this way until someone told me.” Mark answered. “And…I suppose I was worried it would make me sound cowardly. I didn’t want you guys to be worried about me.”

“You’re only 18 years old,” Taeyong smiled. “No one is asking you to get married the next year and buy your own house.”

“And to be fair here,” Johnny laughed. “It’s not like we know what we’re doing either.”

“You don’t?” Mark raised his eyebrows in surprise. “But I thought you guys knew everything.”

“Oh please, you think your dad knew what a horrible decision raising a snake and a pet mouse together in the same place was at the time?” Johnny dodged Taeyong’s slap as Mark laughed. “Trust me, we don’t know everything either. Your dad and I still make mistakes, almost every day of our lives.”

“I didn’t know if I was ready to be a father either. Heck, I didn’t even know if I was ready to be a husband.” Taeyong said. “As far as I’m concerned, parenthood and marriage is still a little scary. You’re constantly worried if you’re going to mess up, what’s going to happen if you lose it all, but being a father meant having you, and being married means spending my life with my best friend. So what if I feel like a monkey on a trapeze? You two mean the world to me, and having you makes it all worth it.”

“So…you guys don’t know how to be adults?”

Johnny and Taeyong laughed at that. “Probably not,” Johnny shook his head and patted Mark’s hand. “I don’t think anybody knows.”

“Then how did you get through it all this time?”

“That’s a good question,” Johnny took Taeyong’s hand in his, the other still holding Mark’s as he smiled at his husband lovingly. “I think it’s just taking life one step at a time.”

“The first step is always the hardest.” Taeyong said. “But once you take that step, you will find the courage to take another, and another and another until you start walking and eventually you even start running. Don’t worry, we’ll be there to take that step with you.”

“You will?” Mark asked, smiling innocently. Taeyong had a small flashback to the time when 7-year-old Mark asked if his parents would take him to the zoo. It’s funny how some things never change.

“Yes we will.” Taeyong stood up to hug his son. “You’re not alone. You never will be.”

Johnny stood up to wrap his long arms around his family. He kissed both Mark and Taeyong on the cheek as the family enjoyed each other’s comfort, wrapped in a warm burrito-style huddle. Mark felt like he was 7-years-old again, in the arms of his parents as they shield him from the dangers of the world. He felt safe, loved and protected.

This wasn’t the kind of hug that made you wish you could never leave the nest. This was the kind of hug that gave you the confidence to fly.

 

 

A/N: There is only one chapter left, and I hope I can do this story justice! XD Thank you so much for all the love and support you have shown this story for the past few months. Yall are the best!