The Beginning

The Search for Everything

Mark’s Playlist for Random Thoughts While in The Car with Dad

The Theme from “The Search for Everything”-John Mayer

“This song is nice. Why isn’t it longer though?”

“No idea Dad.”

******************

 

School.

Oh, how shall we describe school? A building? Devil’s waiting room? Pits of hell? The intellectual training ground for future leaders of the next generation? An athlete’s waiting room or a bunch of drunk kid’s secret hideout from their parents?

There are probably more ways to describe school, but for Mark Lee, it’s better known as ‘the place I can’t wait to get away from’. Every high-schooler probably goes through days like the one he is about to encounter, as his dad drops him in front of the school entrance and the minute he steps out, a bunch of jocks run into him by accident and nearly knocks him into a tree.

“, sorry dude. You okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine.” Mark shook his head as the jock (nearly three times bigger than him) lifts him up with ease. “I think I cracked a skull but yeah, I’ll survive.”

“Cool.” The jock just smiled a dopey smile (with something that looks like a missing tooth) “Just be careful man. You made me miss the ball.”

And I almost died but sure, don’t let me stand in the way of your catching a rubber pigskin.

“Okay.” Mark just nodded and made his way inside the building, checking his watch to make sure he was not late for class, because that is so Mark Lee. Always on time and always nice. Prim and proper, living the straight life with no plans to disappoint his parents. He doesn’t do drugs, doesn’t smoke, does his homework on time…he doesn’t even try to scribble obscene things on bathroom walls. Mark Lee is always nice and good.

He turned into his classroom and smiled when he saw Lee Jeno, best friend and the class’s famous Sleeper, but only during Mr. Moon’s algebra class because and to quote Jeno ‘moons can’t talk and they sure can’t teach’.

As expected, Jeno has his legs propped up on the back of Mark’s chair, his snapback covering his eyes and his arms crossed. It makes absolutely zero sense as to why Jeno would bother coming early to class only to sleep through it. Mark knocked Jeno’s feet out of the way and the Sleeper grunted.

“What the …”

“That’s a record. You’re sleeping lighter than usual.” Mark grinned. “You usually don’t get up until Moon’s class is over.” Yeah, it’s rude to refer to your teacher by his surname without a proper title but Mark can’t always be nice. This is his little way of rebelling (pathetic, isn’t it?).

“I’m actually going to make a change.” Jeno yawned. “I’m going to stay awake for his class. You know, the last one before we graduate.”

“You waited until the last day to be nice to Mr. Moon?” (see how he reverts back to being nice again? Mark could never rebel for long) Mark shook his head. “It’s not like he’s going to give you an award or anything.”

“The man should appreciate the fact that I always pass his classes even if he bores me to death.” Jeno rolled his eyes, bringing his legs down. “If he was any worse I would have failed his classes. Voluntarily too.”

“You can’t fail this class, then you wouldn’t be able to graduate and get out of this crappy wormhole.”

“True.” Jeno shrugged. He grinned at Mark excitedly. “Are we all ready for tomorrow?”

“Absolutely.” Mark pulled out his planner from inside his bag. “I’m going grocery shopping later, you are bringing the map and your uncle’s old Volkswagen bus.”

“My dad and I spent a fortune on that decrepit junk.” Jeno said. “It needed a whole new transmission and everything, but it’s finally camper ready.”

“This is going to be the best road trip ever.” Mark pulled out a pen to quickly scribble notes in his planner. “The final road trip before graduation.”

“It’s our only road trip, we’ve never taken one before.” Jeno said. “Where did you say we are going?”

“Our final destination is this place.” Mark pulled out a picture. On it was a Moorish castle with red and white bricks, an aged clock on the front façade and rolling hills in the backdrop. This was Scarwood Palace, a 17th century castle built by Braden Scarwood for his Moorish wife. Mark’s dad said that Mr. Scarwood’s wife died before the castle was completed, but Mr. Scarwood wanted to finish it anyways as a lasting memory for his wife and lived there until his dying days. It was said that he was a very wise man with the questions to all your answers. That’s where the urban myth came from: if you came to Scarwood Palace, you would find whatever you were looking for.

That was pure bull of course. No rational human being would believe that if you went to see a castle you could solve the world’s problems or some like that, but Mark had always harboured a strange fascination for the palace. When his dad first told him the story, he immediately begged him to take him there on a vacation, but then Mark’s mother died, and it never happened.

“Scarwood Palace.” Jeno said. “I’ve never heard of this place before.”

“You should try looking it up or something. I’m sure it’s on the internet.”

“Even if it is I don’t think anyone goes there anymore.” Jeno’s lips pulled down. “Why else have I not heard about this place?”

“Not everything good is on social media you know,” Mark rolled his eyes. “Besides, think of it as an adventure. The two of us going into the unknown, like explorers. Remember the games we used to play as a kid?”

“Uhm…”

“We used to hide in forts made of cardboard and pretend we were on our own island, protecting it from pirates.”

“Uhm…about that…”

“What about what?”

“You see…I…”

“Good morning class.” Mr. Moon entered the classroom, glasses on the bridge of his nose. “I trust you are all ready for our final algebra class.”

“Yes sir.” They chorused.

“Jeno, nice to see you awake.” Mr. Moon gave him the stink eye, frowning in disapproval. “How kind of you to stay awake for our last class.”

“I figured I would since we aren’t going to see each other anymore.” The class sniggered and even Mark tried to hold his laughter. Jeno just shrugged carelessly, eyeing Mr. Moon.

“And I also figured I would send you to detention for that remark, but since it’s your last class,” the teacher straightened his tie and raised an eyebrow “I suppose I could make an oversight.”

******************

“10 rolls of toilet paper, 7 boxes of cereal and at least 25 bars of soap.” Lee Taeyong, Mark’s dad read from his phone as they strolled down the aisles of SM Supermarket (which literally stands for super-market) with Mark’s stepfather, Johnny, who he prefers to call Johnny instead of Daddy or Father or whatnot.

“I think I’ll need more than that dad.” Mark said.

“Why? I thought you told me this was enough for two.”

“We’re not two anymore.” Mark grumbled. “Jeno wants to bring Renjun with him.”

It’s better to not ask Mark about Jeno bringing another person with him, but it’s crucial to this story that we understand who this Renjun person is. Huang Renjun is Jeno’s boyfriend, and they have been dating for almost two years. They are one of those quintessential clingy, cheesy, cringey, vomit-inducing couple that walk around the halls hand-in-hand, wear matching sweaters and call each other Baby Boo, Cupcake and Hunny Bunny. They even have their own couple name: JeJun.

Mark was absolutely livid when Jeno told him he wanted to bring Renjun. He said that since he was graduating he wanted to do something with his precious sweetheart as well and the two have never been apart for more than two days. They argued about it over lunch, but by the time chemistry class came Mark simply nodded and said yes.

He had nothing against Renjun; actually they were good friends and he was happy Jeno was dating someone so nice and compatible for him, but this was supposed to be a best friends trip. Mark and Jeno have been best friends ever since they were toddlers and they have always talked about going on a trip together. A road trip far away from parents and life as they slept under stars, drank convenience store sodas until their stomach bursts and go skinny dipping in lakes. He wanted to do just thing one thing with his best friend, but now it seemed like he was going to third wheel a couple trip instead.

“Oh, well then we better add 5 more boxes of cereal then.” Taeyong hummed, making a note in his phone as they rounded the corner of an aisle. “You don’t seem very happy about it though.”

“Dad, this was supposed to be a best friends trip.” Mark grumbled. “I can’t believe Jeno wants Renjun to tag along. Would it kill him to part with his boyfriend for just 2 weeks? Like is that such a crime? We’re not going to war or anything.”

“Why didn’t you tell him no then?” Johnny asked.

“I couldn’t. If Jeno gets mad at me then he’ll miss the trip and the whole thing will be over.” Mark sighed. “It’s easier if I just it up and let him come.”

“Maybe it won’t be so bad.” Johnny rubbed Mark’s shoulder. “I’m sure you all will have a great time no matter what.”

“Do you guys have space in the bus for a portable fan?”

“Dad,” Mark rolled his eyes while Johnny stifled a laugh. “We’re supposed to be enjoying nature. A fan defeats the purpose and no, we don’t have space.”

“Make sure you bring some sunscreen…oh look here’s a bottle. On promotion too!”

“Dad…”

Taeyong couldn’t hear his son. He was too busy looking for SPF 30 instead of 15 at 35% off if you bought a two pack. Mark looked at Johnny with pleading eyes, but the older man just stood there shaking his head.

After the shopping trip and about 17 grocery bags full of fruits, cereal, sodas and soaps, Mark and his family arrived home and started unloading the family car. The kid next door to him was sitting on his bicycle with a lollipop in his mouth. He saw the Lee family and waved to greet them.

“Hey Mr. Lee, hey Johnny!”

“Hello Donghyuck.” Taeyong smiled. “Did you all enjoy the chocolate cake I made yesterday?”

“Yes sir, it was delicious!” Donghyuck beamed, his pearly white teeth glistening away. He caught a glimpse of Mark behind the car and waved. “Mum wants to know if you can share the recipe.”

“Sure, I’ll message her. What about your brother? Is Jaehyun home yet?”

“Nah, hyung has basketball training. He’ll be back from college in a couple of minutes or so.” Donghyuck on his lollipop, making a loud ‘pop’ sound that would be considered rude. He was making lazy circles with his bike on the road, watching the Lee family bring in their groceries.

“Did you buy out the store or are we stocking up for war?”

“I’m going on a trip tomorrow.” Mark explained, helping Johnny with the last bag of groceries.

“Really? Where are you going?”

“Scarwood Palace.”

“Where’s that?”

“Somewhere far.”

“How long will you be gone?”

“About two weeks, give or take.”

“Cool, can I come?”

“Donghyuck,” Mark sighed. “It’s a senior trip.”

“The discrimination against us juniors is real.” Donghyuck slowed his bike and took out his lollipop. “This is one of those movie-type road trips with lots of beer and trespassing private property only to end up being eaten by bears, right?”

“Exactly.”

“Cool, can I come?”

“Jesus Christ Donghyuck.” Mark groaned. “No, you can’t and I’m sorry. We don’t have enough space in the back of the bus for you.”

“Who’s going?”

“Jeno, Renjun and me.”

“Wow, look at you Mr. Third-wheel.” Donghyuck grinned. “Are you sure it’s a seniors trip or are you just -blocking a romantic getaway?”

“Shut up Donghyuck. You don’t know anything.”

“I know how to cook, I know how to whittle and how to turn salt water into drinking water.” Donghyuck placed the lollipop back in his mouth. “If you guys are gonna rough it you will need someone like me. Besides, someone should keep you company when Renjun and Jeno decide it’s time to faces again.”

“You don’t even have your parents permission.”

“I can get one tonight. Mum would be glad to have me out of the house anyway. She said I am a piece of work during the summer.”

“She’s not wrong about that.” Mark shook his head. “No, you are not coming, and I won’t let you.”

“Who are you, my keeper? You can’t tell me what to do.”

“I’m your hyung and a senior in your high school. I’m older and I know what’s best.”

Donghyuck scoffed and mumbled something under his breath. “Fine, whatever you say. It’s not like your crusty road trip is going to be good anyways.”

“You’re just jealous.”

“Whatever.” Donghyuck rolled his eyes and continued on his bike, riding small circles again.

“Hey, Donghyuck?”

“What do you want frog-face?”

“When is your brother coming home?”

“Should be anytime now.” Donghyuck said, stopping his bike next to Mark. “Why?”

“Nothing. Just curious.”

“Yeah right.” Donghyuck grinned. “Get your bikes out and let’s race down this street.”

“Alright.” Mark dashed to the back of his house to find his bicycle. He could never resist the opportunity to race Donghyuck. The younger boy used to brag that he was ‘Usain Bolt on Wheels’ and he used to taunt Mark all the time. The two of them cycled up and down their neighbourhood for a while, until a black car showed up in front of Donghyuck’s house.

“You two should get better bicycles. Those look a little beat up.”

“Only because you took the new one to college and gave me this ty piece of metal on wheels.” Donghyuck laughed, giving his brother Jaehyun a high-five. Jaehyun was a college student coming back for the weekend. The three boys grew up together for as long as Mark could remember. Jaehyun gave Mark a fist bump and a hug.

“How come he gets a hug and I don’t?” Donghyuck whined.

“Because you are a piece of for borrowing my Usher CD without telling me.”

“Excuse me you didn’t say you were using them.”

“That doesn’t mean you can.” Jaehyun put Donghyuck in a headlock and pretended to bite his head off. Donghyuck screamed in terror and laughed when he elbowed Jaehyun in his ‘golden zone’ and almost got kicked in the for doing so.

“So Mark,” Jaehyun composed himself, putting a hand on Mark’s bicycle handle. “How does it feel like to be a senior now?”

“It’s a bit surreal.” Mark uttered, feeling his face heat up. “I can’t believe it’s over and I’m going to college soon.”

“Which college did you apply?”

“I wrote to NCT U, EXO U, The Academy of Performing Arts and a bunch of other places.”

“You wrote to APA? I thought you wanted to go in science?”

“I just applied.” Mark made lazy circles on his bike handle with his thumb. “I don’t think I’ll get it but I just wrote for the hell of it anyways.”

“If you come to NCT U we could see a lot more of each other then.” Jaehyun smiled. “We could even carpool on weekends to come home.”

Carpooling with Jaehyun. Seeing Jaehyun on campus. Saying hi to him and his college friends. Holding hands with Jaehyun…no, wait.

“Only if I get it.”

“I’m sure you will, you’re a smart kid, better than my brother.” Jaehyun patted him on the back. “I’ll see you around.”

“See you.”

“Come on Hyuckie it’s dinner time!”

“Okay!” Donghyuck finished his round and rode back into his house’s front yard. “Go home you loser. My brother is already inside.”

“Shut up.”

******************

“Did you bring your charger?”

“Yes.”

“Where are your bags?”

“In the bus.”

“Call me once you leave the state.”

“Yes dad.”

“If you start experiencing stomach problems take those pills I gave you.”

“Yes dad.”

“Don’t forget to…”

“I think you told him everything an hour ago babe.” Johnny laughed, pulling Taeyong into his arms and kissing the top of his head.

“Excuse me but my only child is going away for two weeks and you expect me not to worry?”

“I’ll be fine dad. We’ve been preparing for this for months.” Mark grabbed some candies from the candy bowl and stuffed them in his jacket pocket. “We know what we’re doing.”

“You have the list of emergency contacts on the dashboard.” Taeyong cupped Mark’s face in his hands. “Call me anytime you want, even if it’s just to say hello.”

“I will dad.”

“Come on kiddo.” Johnny pulled Mark with his left arm and Taeyong with his left, as they hugged and snuggled in a family hug. Outside, Renjun and Jeno were waiting in the bus, the old decrepit Volkswagen mini bus was remodelled into a comfortable camper’s van, equipped with tons of old mattresses, blankets and cushions for sleeping, a small kitchen with a stove and sink for washing, pulled out tables for eating and little cube partitions to store stuff. Jeno and his dad had ripped out the backseat to turn it into a mini home on the road. Renjun bought a huge pin board to hang inside the van where they could put pictures, maps or any small trinkets on it.

“Have a safe drive kids.” Johnny waved. Taeyong was pouting a little and Mark hugged his dad when he saw little tears b in his eyes.

“I’ll be safe dad. I’ll call you and Johnny every night. I promise.”

“Have fun son.” Taeyong kissed him on the cheek. “Take care.”

Finally all three of them were on the bus, with Jeno at the wheel. They waved goodbye to Johnny and Taeyong, and once they were out of view and at the first traffic light, Jeno and Mark let out a huge yell.

“YES!!!!! The trip has now officially begun!!”

“Finally, I have been dreaming of this day since we first planned it. I can’t wait until we get out of this crummy town and on the highway.” Mark pumped his fist, checking his phone for music to play.

“We’ll be out of here in a couple of minutes. Now, the Ultimate Road Trip has begun!”

A rustling was heard from the back seat. Mark got out of his seat and slowly made his way to the back, but he nearly fell and hit his head when he saw a tuft of black hair appearing from the tiny cabinet underneath the sink.

“Sup es.”

 

A/N: For some reason the formatting here is slightly different from what I wrote on AO3, so it may seem different but it's the exact same story. Tell me how it was! I'm dying to know!