Mark lee, or Better Known as Mr. Montogomery

The Search for Everything

Mark’s Playlist for Digging Through Old Stuff

Red Dawn-Enzo

“Yeah dad, the palace is a dump.”

“I’m sorry Mark. You must be so disappointed.”

“I am dad, but I think I’ll be over it.”

*****************

“Do you like stars?”

“Holy …” Mark nearly dropped his cup from shock when he saw Grandpa Lee across the room, walking towards his rocking chair by the window. It was late at night and Mark had gone to the kitchen for some water. He didn’t expect anyone to be awake, much less an old man.

“I like stars.”

Grandpa Lee grinned, sitting in his rocking chair. “Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows…”

“Uhm…” Mark gulped. “I’m just going to…”

“My world stopped when I held hands with her.” Grandpa Lee uttered. “You know that feeling?”

“I’m not sure I…”

“You better hurry. Mdm Louise doesn’t like her cocktail warm.”

“But I…”

“Mr. Montgomery is coming! Quick! Dust the panels!”

Anyone would have thought that Grandpa Lee was insane, and perhaps he really was, but Mark walked up to Grandpa Lee and leaned against the window, looking at the old man. The old man was smiling to himself, his mind working faster than his mouth because he kept switching mid-sentence. His hands were tapping against the chair as his eyes darted around. He looked at Mark, then he looked outside. He looked up and he looked down, seemingly everywhere with no focus. Maybe he wasn’t. Grandpa Lee was living in a world of his own, oblivious to the reality he is in.

Mark couldn’t stop noticing Grandpa Lee’s smile, how his toothless grin overpowered his face. He was thinking about something that made him happy, maybe a memory of some sort. Of his wife, his children, his days in the palace, his childhood, who knows?

If Grandpa Lee knew that Ten had sold off the palace, he would be very upset. But…maybe he does? Maybe he doesn’t? At this point, it was hard to tell. Mark suddenly felt sad for the old man. He could feel tears springing at his eyes, and a warm hand reached up to touch his cheek.

“What have I told you about crying?”

“You didn’t…”

“If you cry your mother will start crying so be a good boy.” Grandpa Lee chastised him, wiping his tears. “Smile son, we have a party to attend to!”

Mark watched Grandpa Lee hum a tune he didn’t recognize, hands moving as if he was dancing, eyes rolling into the back of his eyes and he chuckled warmly, his deep voice resonating into the night.

Grandpa Lee was so happy.

How does he do it? How could he be so happy? How does his memories stay so alive, and why does he want to stay there?

Perhaps there is joy in oblivion. His memories must be like a vivid movie in his head, one that he always returns too. So what if people deemed him insane? Evidently there is joy in insanity. From the way he smiled and hummed, you couldn’t tell he was old. He looked, and probably felt like a young handsome man, dancing with the woman he loved.

Mark watched the old man, fingers tapping to the tune Grandpa Lee was humming. For a while, it was as if Mark was watching Grandpa Lee’s movie as well, as if they were sharing the same memories.

There’s a lot of joy in listening to old people. It’s one of my favourite things to do. Most people don’t have the patience, and who can blame them? But when you do, you can hear a story even greater than those told in books, because these stories are alive. And when they tell you, watch their eyes and check their faces.

They become alive too.

*****************

“I trust you will enjoy your stay in Scarwood Palace, Mr. Montgomery.”

“Who the hell is Mr. Montgomery and why does he keep calling you that?” Donghyuck whispered into Mark’s ear as they walked towards Scarwood Palace. Ten had promised them a look inside the crumbling palace and Grandpa Lee seemed excited about it. His ears perked up and a toothless grin appeared, wrinkles decorating his face and squishing some of his features.

“Grandpa must think you guys are guests coming to stay in the palace.” Ten giggled. “Just play along. It’ll be fun.”

“Would your wife like a martini?”

“I am not his…” Mark looked at Donghyuck with a finger to his lips. They exchanged glances while Jeno and Renjun laughed behind them. Donghyuck sighed, and with a fake female voice, he said “No thank you sir.”

“Very well madam.”

“So, Madam Donghyuck,” Renjun teased. “How is your child doing at school?”

“Don’t piss off this madam or she’s going to strangle you with her bare hands.”

“Here we are,” the door to Scarwood Palace opened, leaves scraping against the doorway as the heavy wooden doors opened with much force. The smell of musk and old wood wafted out and it was so heavy you could choke on it.

“Our grand foyer. Shall I take your bags?”

“Uh no sir.” Mark played along. “We travelled light.”

There was so much dust in the palace you could see it flying in the air. The sunlight beat in through equally dusty windows painted in bird poop, curtains so old and heavy that if it dropped it could kill someone. A grand staircase with its marble handles greeted them at first sight, covered in dust and debris from the crumbling ceiling above. Jeno looked up and saw peeling paint and holes, but underneath it lay a beautiful fresco of flowers. A huge, crystal chandelier dangled above them, cobwebs covering it like a second layer of skin.

“It’s…it’s actually…” Donghyuck tried to form words.

“Beautiful.” Mark breathed out. He could taste the oldness on his tongue, he could hear the creaking floorboards and it was almost as if he could see people dancing.

“If only these walls could talk. Imagine the stories it could tell.”

“If you want to know, just listen to my grandfather.” Ten smiled.

“I did.” Mark nodded, recalling the night before he spent with Grandpa Lee.

The palace had 15 rooms, most of them were barren, but no less beautiful. There was a room that used to be a library, the old cupboards and chests were still there. The kitchen had a crumbling island in the middle of it, where servants prepared meals with ingredients from all over the world. Beautiful frescoes and dusty, ancient wallpaper lined the whole house, but the pride and joy of the palace, according to Grandpa Lee, was not inside the palace.

It was outside the palace.

“Holy smokes.” The teenagers gasped at the sight of the palace’s backyard. A huge reflection pool laid in its centre, with moss covered railings and crumbling steps. A lawn chair was almost swallowed by nature and leaves filled the top of the pool, leaving only small spots for the sun to reflect of it. The water was probably murky and dirty, and the smell of musk mixed with nature was in the air.

“Kings and queens once dined here.” Grandpa Lee said, his arms outstretched as if he was showing off a new car. “In the summer, the sun was not too hot, just warm enough to show it’s glistening light on the pool, and during the night, you can see the stars in them. Isn’t it beautiful Mr. Montgomery?”

“Huh?” Jeno nudged Mark. “Oh, uhm…yes. Beautiful indeed.”

“Can you imagine the parties they had here?” Donghyuck smiled, sitting on one of the lawn chairs. “Excuse me dahling but the salmon is positively derogative compared to the trout.” He batted his eyelashes, hiked up one leg and waved his hand around like a lady and everyone laughed.

“Did you see the way Lady Seulgi batted her eyes at Lord Sehun?” Renjun joined him, pretending to fan himself. “Such indecency. Does she really think nobody at this party will notice her flirtatious demeanour?”

“Mr. Montgomery, I hear trade of spices in India has been flourishing for you.” Jeno slipped into character mode, pretending to huff on a pipe.

“Why yes Mr. Lee and I heard about the renovations on your home? How are they coming?” Mark asked in what is probably the worst British accent of all time.

“It’s terrible. The workers just can’t get it right. How hard is it to build a 100-bedroom mansion with two pools and a Ferris wheel inside?”

Everyone laughed loudly. Grandpa Lee was busy swaying around, obviously pretending he was dancing. Ten was just shaking his head, watching his grandfather, and making sure he didn’t fall. Renjun and Donghyuck started fanning themselves and flitted their imaginary skirts.

“I must say, do you see those two handsome gentlemen there?”

“Lady Renjun that’s our husbands.” Donghyuck smirked.

“Really? Look at me,” Renjun faked a drawl. “Married for 15 years and I can’t even recognize my own husband. I must be getting old.”

“You sure didn’t age too gracefully.”

“You little…” Renjun almost kicked Donghyuck in the , but not before resuming his act. “I should ask him to dance with me. Sir?”

“Yes?” Jeno turned and bowed politely.

“Shall we dance?”

“Of course.” Jeno took Renjun’s hand in his, and the two of them did a silly twirl and started laughing. Mark just shook his head, thinking they were ridiculous, until Donghyuck tapped him on the shoulder.

“Dance with me.”

“But there’s no music.”

“Just pretend. Your wife commands you.” Hid eyebrows wriggled playfully, and Mark just can’t seem to say no. He wrapped his arms around Donghyuck’s waist, slowly swaying as Donghyuck wrapped his arms around Mark’s neck. Jeno and Renjun were already making their tenth twirl and Jeno tried to dip him, which caused a round of squealing and screaming. Grandpa Lee was clapping his hands and laughing like a child.

“Look!” he told his grandson. “They are having fun!”

“We are, aren’t we?”

“What?” Mark turned to look at Donghyuck.

“Having fun.” Donghyuck smiled. From the way the sun glistened off his beautiful skin, his smile wide enough to be the sun itself and his pretty eyes looking into Mark’s, Mark’s heart was sure that it stopped functioning. He held onto Donghyuck just a little tighter.

“I am too.”

“Thank you for bringing me on this trip Mark.” Donghyuck said. “Thank you for not sending me away.”

“No, Donghyuck, it’s me who should thank you.” Mark said. “You have been so amazing, cooking, cleaning, making us laugh…I’m sorry if you ever felt like I took you for granted, but this trip would not have been the same if it wasn’t for you. I swear.”

A blush creeped on his face, painting his cute cheeks in such a pretty way Mark wanted to bend down and kiss him. “And you said I was going to be a bother.” He teased.

“I was wrong. Clearly.” Mark laughed. “You are my best friend, Hyuck. And god damn it you…”

“I what?”

“You…”

“What?”

“You…” Mark suddenly couldn’t find the words. His fingers lingered on Donghyuck’s lower back, knotting with his shirt as Donghyuck looked at him, waiting for an answer. “God, you are so beautiful.”

Then, it was as if time stopped, and God wanted to make the moment even more amazing then before. Donghyuck could hear his heart in his ears, his chest heaving, cheeks turning hot and tongue in knots. “What?”

“I mean it. I’m sorry it took me so long, but you really are beautiful.”

Donghyuck waited years to hear someone tell him that, and finally, the words came from the man he loved the most. He could cry, but there was no time for that because now Mark was dangerously close, and he could smell Ten’s honey shampoo on him.

Their noses touched and lips hovered centimetres from each other. Then, Renjun let out a shriek and Jeno laughed.

“Lady Hyuck and Mr. Montgomery!! Such indecency!” He faked a dramatic gasp. “You two are in public! Control yourselves!”

“You piece of…” Donghyuck escaped Mark’s arms and ran after Renjun. “Come back and Imma show you how a lady stuffs a dead body!!”

Mark just stood there laughing, giving Jeno a high five as Donghyuck kept threatening to ‘skin Renjun and hang him by the teeth’. Grandpa Lee was just clapping along and Ten laughed as well.

“This place is alive! It’s alive!” Grandpa Lee looked up to the sky, as if the heavens were speaking to him. And he was right, with all the laughter and smiles, the beat of feet running about and screams of fake horror, Scarwood Palace was alive once more.

*****************

“Thank you for your hospitality.” Mark shook Ten’s hand once more as they loaded up the van. “I’m sorry if we caused you any trouble.”

“It’s no problem at all.” Ten smiled. “It’s nice to have guests who appreciate the value of an old building. I’m just sorry we couldn’t meet your expectations.”

“Actually,” Mark grinned. “I think it was better that way.”

“Come on Grandpa, say goodbye to our guests.”

“Goodbye Mr. Montgomery.” Grandpa Lee smiled his toothless smile, wrinkles covering his eyes. “It was such a short stay. I hope you had a pleasant time.”

“I did. Thank you very much.” Mark held Grandpa Lee’s hands, feeling the thinness and the wrinkled skin. Grandpa Lee patted Mark’s back, and placed a hand on his cheek.

“Bless you, child. Bless you.”

“Goodbye Mr. Lee. Goodbye Ten. Thank you for everything.”

The group waved goodbye as Jeno started the engine, and drove off. Ten and Grandpa Lee waved and waved, with Scarwood Palace in the background, it’s dark façade looming over them like a shadow. If buildings could talk, maybe the palace was saying goodbye too.

“That wasn’t too bad, was it?” Renjun smiled.

“Yeah. It’s just too bad no one else will be in time to see the Palace before it gets bulldozed.”

“Which is why I took a lot of pictures.” Donghyuck said. “Hopefully these will provide lasting memories of a dead place.”

“I don’t know.” Mark shrugged. “Grandpa Lee still thinks it’s alive.”

“He’s insane.” Donghyuck laughed. “He kept calling you Mr. Montgomery, as if you were some rich trader. Please, the only thing you ever traded were Pokemon cards.”

Mark raised a hand to smack Donghyuck’s arms playfully. “Mark,” Jeno asked. “Did you find what you were looking for? You said this place provided the answers to your questions.”

“God I…I don’t know.” Mark shrugged. “But I feel good. I feel so much better now than I did better.”

“Maybe the palace doesn’t give you answers. It gives you peace.” Renjun said. “It doesn’t solve your problems. It gives you the confidence to do it yourself.”

“I guess. Not like I knew what it was that I needed answers too.” Mark nodded. He liked that idea. The palace may not have been all it’s cracked up to be, but it was something. Perhaps, in many ways, life is like that too. We don’t always know where we are going, what our problems are, and many times it doesn’t end the way we expect it too, but life has something. There’s always something, and sometimes you just need to look for it, or see it with fresh eyes.

Mark smiled as he looked out the window, the old Scarwood Palace sign fading in the distance. He felt light, and his heart was at peace.

The magic of Scarwood Palace really is true.

*****************

Grandpa Lee died shortly after, just a week before the palace was to be torn down. He passed away in his rocking chair, presumably still humming that crazy tune and wondering if Mr. Gunther wanted foie gras for dinner. He seemed to be smiling as he passed away, his toothless grin decorated his peaceful face.

Ten buried his grandfather exactly as he wished, next to his wife and with a pair of white gloves he wore while he worked as caretaker of the palace. His epitaph read: I hope you enjoyed your stay. I know I did.

As they tore the palace down, many workers said they felt like there were eyes watching them, as if the ghosts of the old palace were suddenly released like butterflies. They said they could hear the walls talk and voices in the wind, speaking about memories.

That was pure bull of course. Memories are not alive in buildings. Memories are alive in the people who live through them.