Almost There

The Search for Everything

Donghyuck’s Playlist for Midnight Drives I am Finally Taking

Pretending-Evolution of Stars

“Did you know that clapping is just slapping yourself?”

“Renjun, you need sleep.”

**********************

The four-day delay at Yeri’s city had disrupted much of their original travel plans. In order to make it in time and be back home in time for prom night, the group decided to pull all-nighters and make fewer stops. They missed famous travel sights and notable restaurants they had plan to visit. Jeno and Mark took turns driving at night. Renjun helped to navigate and keep them on schedule, planning their routes. Donghyuck did the cooking of course. Those cans of baked beans and pasta had to serve their purpose or else it would expire.

“Hyuck, you should be asleep.” Mark said. Donghyuck had climbed from the back to join Mark in the front seat. It was their second night driving down the highway, the lights from the street lamps above streaking like an artists’ paintbrush, painting the road in a warm light.

“And be next to the lovebirds? Please.” Donghyuck scoffed. “There’s only so much cheesy late night talks you can eavesdrop on before you start feeling nauseous.”

“What do they talk about?”

“Trust me you don’t want to know.”

Mark laughed. Donghyuck took out his phone and the Bluetooth. “Can I use the speakers?”

“Sure.”

“Any requests?”

“I’m okay with anything.”

A soft melody started playing in the van. The drive was quiet, with Donghyuck’s head tipping towards Mark’s shoulder.

“You can lean on me.”

“You’re driving.”

“It’s fine.”

Donghyuck’s head rested on Mark’s shoulder. He supported his weight a little by propping himself up on his hand, careful not to lean too much on Mark and cause excessive force. Donghyuck’s phone buzzed in his hand. He checked his mail but did not respond to it.

“Who was that?”

“It was Woojin.” Donghyuck paused. “He wanted to know where I was.”

“Why don’t you text him back?”

“I’ll do it in the morning.”

Mark nodded. He could smell the shampoo from Donghyuck’s hair from the shower they took at a local swimming centre.

“Has Yeri ever texted you?”

“No. I didn’t get her number.”

“Oh.”

Mark’s shoulders were bony, but his arms were strong. Donghyuck leaned a little more, his cheek pressing into Mark’s arm.

“You don’t like Woojin, do you?”

“I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

“Why do you assume he would hurt me?”

“I don’t but…” Mark sighed. “I don’t know. I guess I just don’t like him.”

“But he…”

“I hated it when Jeno started dating.” Mark said. “He spent so much time with Renjun I felt abandoned. I was like an unwanted child. I got into fights with him and I even stopped talking with him after some time. We cleared it up and I like Renjun now, but sometimes I feel like I don’t have a best friend.”

“Mark…”

“And now he’s moving. He’s moving to the U.S.” Mark shook his head. “I really am losing my best friend.”

The music played on. Donghyuck didn’t know what to do. He could hear Mark’s heartbeat as he placed a hand on Mark’s thigh.

“If you are with someone else…” Mark swallowed thickly. “I would feel so alone. I would feel empty. I probably shouldn’t get angry at Woojin whom I didn’t know, but when I saw you with him, I felt like I was alone again. Then I got scared, and I tried to take it out on you. I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault Mark.”

“You mean more to me than you think you do, Hyuck. You really do.”

The night couldn’t have been more perfect. Donghyuck wanted to reach for Mark’s hand, but he couldn’t distract him while he was driving, so instead, he placed it on Mark’s thigh. Donghyuck could feel Mark’s heartbeat, and without knowing it, it seemed like his own started to beat in time with his.

**********************

“We have only two more hours of driving until we reach Scarwood Palace.” Mark grinned. It was probably a week or so since they started their journey, and now they are coming to the goal. He scooped up all the pasta in the pan and stuffed it in his mouth.

“We should get some rest before we resume our journey tomorrow.” Renjun said, wiping his bottom lip.

“What’s the rush?” Donghyuck grinned. “The night is just getting started, and it’s our last night before we arrive our destination. We ought to have some fun!”

“I agree with Hyuck.” Jeno high-fived him. “Let’s steal soda from gas stations, run around in grocery trolleys and steal mail from houses.”

“We’re in the middle of nowhere.” Mark laughed. “The only thing we can steal is eggs from a bird’s nest.”

“Okay fine.” Jeno pouted. “What do you suggest we do?”

“I’ve got a fun idea.” Donghyuck climbed into the van. He grabbed the radio from inside, plugged his phone in, and Really Really by Winner started playing.

“The first one to stop dancing cleans the dishes!!”

“You’re on!” Jeno immediately stood up and started dancing. Renjun joined him and soon Mark was on his feet too. The bonfire they started in the corner was still crackling away. The night sky glistened with stars above them as the music filled the quiet night. An owl whooed in the distance but no one was listening. Jeno grabbed a bottle and pretended to be Song Mino, rapping to the beat while Mark was too busy trying to shuffle in a confined space. The song changed to All Night by The Vamps and they exited the van, dancing and singing harder than before.

They danced like this the whole night, as if they never danced before.

**********************

“Mark…”

“Hmm….”

“Mark… get up.”

“What….”

“Get up.”

“What do you want Jeno…holy…” When Mark opened his eyes and sat up, the first thing he saw was a beautiful view of the valley before them. A strong, wide river flowed through like blood through someone’s veins. Trees of all sizes painted the mountains and hills in all shades of green. The rising sun in a corner, it’s light washing over a blanket of fog that covered the tops of the trees. Renjun and Donghyuck were huddled in a corner with blankets around them as they watched the view before them.

“I didn’t even know where I was driving last night.”

“It’s beautiful.”

“We were lucky to have parked here last night.”

Mark smiled. They were very lucky indeed. He got up and took his blanket, sitting down next to Donghyuck while Renjun cuddled Jeno. Donghyuck handed him a cup of warm coffee, and suddenly everything was perfect.

His favourite people.

His favourite coffee.

The most unexpected view.

Sometimes in life, the best things come unexpectedly. Or even better, maybe they are under our noses all this time.