Press

Spoiled

Standing beside Yongguk on the makeshift stage as camera flashes went off all around, Daehyun had to fight back the urge to vomit, clinging to the other man to keep on his feet. Yongguk’s arm around his waist kept him steady as his father announced their engagement. To the crowd, it probably looked like Daehyun was being his overly affectionate self, as he was supposed to be, but in reality he was simply trying his hardest not to faint.

 

“My son and I hope that you accept Yongguk into our family, and our company with only warm hearts. This promises to be the beginning to a better Jung family and a stronger Jung Enterprises.” Wrapping up his speech, Daehyun’s father turned and left the stage, leaving it open for Yongguk and Daehyun to address the press. Hesitating only a moment, all he could afford, Daehyun allowed Yongguk to lead him to the microphone.

 

“Hello. I’m Bang Yongguk, the fiance of this beautiful man here.” Yongguk grinned, lightly squeezing Daehyun’s hip in what Daehyun could only assume was an attempt to sooth him. “As you can see, my beautiful Dae can’t speak right now because he’s still pretty overwhelmed by our engagement so I promised him I’d handle everything and he can just relax. I hope you all don’t mind.” A collective murmur sounded through the crowd, sounding like appreciation for the way Yongguk appeared to be pampering him.

 

“When did you two meet?” A reporter questioned, a flash of a photo nearly blinding Daehyun.

 

“Well, you see, we met as children and I can’t say it was love at first sight but... Come on, look at him.” Nodding toward Daehyun, Yongguk pulled him closer, prompting Daehyun to smile and bat at him shyly. “It was definitely love at first sight. He was so tiny and cute and I just knew. I wanted to take care of him forever.”

 

“What about his rumored relationship with civilian, Moon Jongup?” Another reporter asked and Daehyun felt like someone had punched him in the chest, wanting to just turn and run back to the man they had wondered about.

 

“That... Was a misunderstanding on the part of the media. Daehyun was merely close friends with the man in question and because of that, was perhaps more affectionate than you all assumed he should be.” Speaking as though it was the most casual subject in the world, Yongguk’s smile remained plastered on his lips, his hand rubbing Daehyun’s hip gently. “It was completely harmless so it poses no problem with our relationship.”

 

“How long have you two been dating?” The questions kept coming and Daehyun could feel himself growing more and more desperate to free himself from the situation.

 

“Since we were young. Like I said, it was love at first sight.” Leaning down, Yongguk kissed Daehyun, taking him by surprise. Reporters all ‘ooh’ed and ‘aaah’ed as thought they were spectating fireworks or a magic show and Daehyun felt his skin crawl at the thought of being nothing more than an animal forced to preform at his father’s circus.

 

“When did you get engaged?” Another inquiry was aimed at them and Daehyun could feel his patience growing thin, weakness and exhaustion threatening to overpower him.

 

“Only a few hours ago.” Seeming to notice, Yongguk held tighter onto Daehyun, allowing him to lean heavily against him and still manage to look as though he was just being affectionate. “We were so excited we just couldn't wait to tell the world.”

 

“When will you be holding your wedding?” The last question brought Daehyun to his breaking point as he watched Yongguk try to find an answer he didn’t have.

 

“I...” Looking at Daehyun nervously, Yongguk seemed ready to protest when the other man leaned toward the microphone.

 

“In a few months. We need to have time to plan a wedding worthy of our love. Thank you, everyone. Look forward to your invitations.” Putting his best smile on, he addressed the reporters as cheerily as he possibly could. The act drained him of his remaining will to stay standing and he found himself hanging off of Yongguk again.

 

“I think we’ll have to be calling this press conference short now. I think my baby needs to rest from all this excitement. Besides, we have an engagement to celebrate.” With a smile and a wave, Yongguk winked and turned to usher Daehyun back to the car to take them home.

 

“Thanks...” As the door closed behind them, Daehyun slumped against the window and closed his eyes.

 

“Hey. You holding up okay?” Rubbing Daehyun’s back gently, Yongguk sighed behind him. “You look pale. Come here.”

 

“I don’t want to.” Touching the window gently, Daehyun shook his head. He wasn’t even sure what he felt anymore. Numb, maybe? Everything hurt but at the same time... It just wasn’t worth noticing.

 

“I know. Just. Use my leg as a pillow, okay? Get some sleep.” Despite his protest, Yongguk was pulling Daehyun closer, coaxing him into laying on seat with his head on Yongguk’s lap.

 

“I’m not tired.” Resisting, Daehyun tried to sit up only to be pulled back down.

 

“Liar.” Shaking his head, Yongguk began running his fingers through Daehyun’s hair, reminding Daehyun only of Jongup.

 

“Okay... But I don’t think its an exhaustion that sleep can cure...” Sighing, he closed his eyes, knowing Yongguk wouldn’t let him sit back up again.

“Well it’s a start.” Playing with Daehyun’s hair, Yongguk wrapped his other arm around his waist. “Please, Dae...”

 

“Fine...” Rolling onto his side, he pressed his face against Yongguk’s stomach to block out the light, allowing himself to drift off to sleep. Perhaps, when he woke up, he’d find that this had all just been a nightmare and Jongup was the one curled up around him.

 

 

As Daehyun fell asleep, Yongguk watched him, thinking over their current situation. Daehyun’s answer for their wedding date gave him only a few months to change the other man’s mind about their divorce. He was going to have to try harder than he had ever tried for anything in his whole life.

 

Carrying Daehyun into the mansion once the car arrived, he placed him gently in his bed, looking him over. The other man had always been so beautiful when he slept, his perfect features at ease and angelic. It was during a sleepover with Daehyun, watching him sleep curled up beside him, that Yongguk had spoken his love for the other male out loud for the first time.

 

“Everything will be okay.” Brushing some hair off Daehyun’s forehead, Yongguk brushed his lips across the newly exposed skin. “I promise.” Tucking him in, Yongguk turned to retreat to Daehyun’s private kitchen, looking through the cupboards and refrigerater to take stock of their food situation. Noting it’s depletion of goods, he pulled together what he could and began to cook.

 

An hour came and went and, at long last, the scent of roasted vegetables and pork filled the air. Setting up the table, Yongguk gave the food one last inspection before turning to wake up his fiance. Striding into the bedroom, he was surprised to find the other man already stirring, beginning to sit up sleepily.

 

“Hey, Dae.” Approaching slowly, he held a hand out to assist his ex lover in getting out of bed. “I made dinner. Will you come eat for me?”

 

“I’m not hungry.” Brushing his hand away, Daehyun leaned against the headboard and closed his eyes.

 

“If you don’t eat, you’ll die.” Concerned, Yongguk reached out for the other man once again only to have Daehyun flinch away as though their proximity stung.

 

“Maybe I want to die.” So quiet, Yongguk almost didn’t hear him, Daehyun sobbed out his reply, breaking Yongguk’s heart.

 

“Daehyun, I’m not going to let that happen.” Sitting down on the edge of the bed, Yongguk patted Daehyun’s leg gently. “The world without you wouldn’t be a world worth living in.”

 

“It’s not your business, Yongguk.” Pulling away from him again, Daehyun curled in on himself.

 

“It is my business as your fiance!” Unable to help Daehyun, he found himself getting more frustrated than intended, his tone coming out loud and hostile.

 

“Not by choice!” Screaming back, Daehyun shoved at him, nearly knocking Yongguk to the floor. “I don’t want this, Yongguk!”

 

“You’re eating, Daehyun!” Turning to glare down the other man, he hopes that, if reason wouldn’t work on Daehyun, perhaps intimidation would. As much as he hated being at all negative toward Daehyun, he couldn’t just let him starve himself over Jongup.

 

“No!” Shoving Yongguk again, Daehyun tried to put distance between them and Yongguk growled, grabbing his wrist and pulling him against his chest.

 

“You will!” Half angry, half pleading, Yongguk looked into Daehyun’s eyes, hoping to change his mind, to get him to realize that Yongguk cared and didn’t want to see him suffer. “Please, Dae... You need to eat. If not for me, than for Jongup. What would he say if you let yourself die?”

“ you, you !” Struggling to get free, Daehyun got one wrist away from Yongguk, slapping him with all the strength he could muster. Though he was weak, the pain still radiated from Yongguk’s cheek, a small mark forming from the sudden contact.

 

“ me? All I want is to take care of you but me?!” Growling, Yongguk leaned forward, face so close to Daehyun’s that he wasn’t sure a piece of paper would fit between their lips. “If you insist...” Closing the remaining space between them, Yongguk kissed him deeply, passionately, feeling Daehyun stiffen in his arms before finally giving in. If words wouldn’t get through to the man he loved, maybe his actions could...