high school reunion

Short Fiction for Dahyun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Behind her faultless smile was a hidden young girl too afraid of exposure. Mina had always been shy. Her long raven hair always did well in hiding her eyes. For as long as Dahyun had known her, Mina had always opted to camouflage in the background. She was never one to stray to the centre. She found comfort in being invisible. She hid herself from the world, or she tried to. However, there was one person that she was perfectly visible to, and that was Dahyun. But their days of high school were long gone now. The girl that she had once known was different now. Mina was still herself, but there was something different in her aura. She exuded elegance and grace, with every motion she acted.

 

Dahyun finds herself longingly staring across the room, straining pass the crowd of many to catch glimpse of Mina. She sees her smile briefly, but this moment is quickly stolen from her sight. She slowly lets out her breath, not realising she was holding it in. Coincidentally Mina looks towards Dahyun’s way, and her eyes immediately divert elsewhere. She’s blushing, and she’s silently praying that the dim lighting guards her secret well. 

 

Mina is now heading in her way, and Dahyun’s at a complete loss with herself. Her fingers begin to the fidget with the hem of her blouse, wrinkling the former ironed material. She’s quietly hoping that Mina doesn’t approach her, but at the same time she’s praying that she does. A shadow draws closers, eventually looming over her. Dahyun reluctantly looks up.

 

“Hi Dahyun, mind if I join you?” Mina says softly in her silky voice, as she gestures to spot besides Dahyun.

 

“Hey Mina, n- n-ot at all.” Dahyun stutters horrendously. Truth was, Dahyun wasn’t that much braver. She was a coward when it came to matters of the heart, or more so when it came to Mina. Her first real crush.

 

“Do you want a drink? There’s wine.” Dahyun awkwardly asks, raising her glass feigning expertise in alcohol.

 

“No, I’m okay.” She laughs, politely declining, as she gingerly sits besides Dahyun all the while maintaining amorous eye contact.

 

“Okay I lied, this is grape juice, not wine. I was trying to impress you.” Dahyun confesses with flushed cheeks.

 

Mina tries to stifle her giggles, but forfeits as Dahyun playfully swishes and swirls the liquid of her glass. “I see that you still have that playful flare.” Mina compliments, leaning a little closer to project her voice. Whilst Mina converses, Dahyun inwardly chuckle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter