heights

Short Fiction for Dahyun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s the gentle tickling in her palms, the quickening of her heart, and the shortness of her breath, that alert Dahyun of their nearing departure. She’s frozen in her chair, too afraid to even summon enough strength to buckle her own seatbelt.

 

“It’s okay. I’m here. If you want, you can even sleep on my shoulder for the duration of the flight.”  Jihyo tries to assure her, by demonstrating the sturdiness of her shoulder with brusque pounding.

 

“I think this was a mistake…” Dahyun’s voice trails, nose still pressed against the pane of glass anxiously peering out to watch the plane in the next gate depart. It’s too early in the morning for a clear view. The fog of dawn engulfs most of the strip, cold tendrils snaring the window.

 

“It’s going to be fine. You said you wanted to come with me. I’ve got you.” Jihyo continues to comfort, as she swiftly locks Dahyun in. However Jihyo’s words do little to still the waves in Dahyun’s stomach. The terror of flight still plagues her, parching , and strangling her breath. She’s trembling now, perhaps slightly too much, because Jihyo reaches for her hand and squeezes it tight.

 

The situation was embarrassing if anything, for Dahyun to be so terrified when she was the one begging Jihyo to let her tag along. Weeks ago, at the start of summer break, Jihyo had revealed her plans of travel to France which was news to Dahyun. Jihyo and Dahyun had always spent their holidays together, not one missed. In truth Dahyun felt a little betrayed that her best friend was abandoning her and their yearly traditions. That was when she decided to conquer her fears at last and take flight too. Though now with reality setting in, Dahyun lives to regret such brash choices.

 

“It’s okay, just close your eyes.” Obediently, Dahyun’s eyelids flutter shut welcoming the mask of darkness. Yet, her fears have yet to waver as the engine’s rumbling roar to life startles her heart. She feels fingers forcefully weaving between her own, and feels marginally better thanks to Jihyo’s attentiveness.

 

“Just pretend w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter