Chapter 1

Seriously
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Im Nayoung was trying, she really was.

She sat across the lunch table from a silent, annoyed looking Kyulkyung, the cafeteria bustling with students.

"Kyulkyung!" Nayoung exhaled, confused as to why the younger of the two refused to talk to her.

Kyulkyung merely tore her eyes away from her cell phone and lifted her head to look at Nayoung expectantly, no words escaping . This caused the older girl to raise her eyebrows, a small laugh almost escaping her lips at how ironic this situation was.

"Seriously, you're not going to say anything?" Nayoung questioned, her brown eyes never leaving those green ones looking right back at her.

With a loud sigh, Kyulkyung placed her cell phone down onto the table infront with a thud, making sure Nayoung knew this conversation was inconviencing her in some way.

"What?" Kyulkyung snarled, "What do you want me to say? Can't we just sit here and eat our lunch in peace, it's the only time of the day when I get a break from all the lessons and the studying," at this point, Kyulkyung rolled her eyes.

"I just...I don't know, I thought maybe we could catch up. It feels like we haven't spoke in so long, you've been hanging out with Eunwoo so much lately that I-"

"That's because I like Eunwoo." Kyulkyung's words interrupted Nayoung midspeech.

A moment of palpable tension passed between the two.

"What? And you don't like me?" Nayoung challenged, her attention peaked.

"That's not what I said." Kyulkyung explained, eyes still fixated on Nayoung and she leaned forward and rested her crossed arms on the table between them.

Thinking that she should probably explain, Kyulkyung continued, "I just mean I like Eunwoo a lot and I enjoy the time we spend together. Obiviously I'd like to spend as much time as possible with her you know, for my own benefit."

Nayoung nodded her head at this, glad that someone was making Kyulkyung happy albeit a little jealous that it wasn't her.

A small grin appeared on Kyulkyung's lips after finishing her sentence and just as the older of the two was about to tell the younger that she understands, Kyulkyung opened yet again and leaned against the back of the chair she was seated in, arms crossed.

"Besides," she began, "it seems like you've been pretty busy with Minkyung lately, I just didnt want to bother you while you seemed so preoccupied." Kyulkyung began scrolling through various apps on her phone, trying her best to appear nonchalant and definitely not give the idea away to Nayoung that she cared.

"Minkyung?" Nayoung questioned seemingly more confused than before (if that was even possible). Nayoung leaned forward, curious now as to what this was really about.

"Didn't you hear me clearly? Minkyung. You two seem pretty cosy the past few days, enjoying each other's company I'll bet." Kyulkyung silently cursed herself for sounding so obviously pissed off at Nayoung spending time with the other girl, because really she didn't care, she didn't.

A sly grin started to grow on Nayoung's lip as she saw the smallest hint of jealously in Kyulkyung's eyes.

"Ah yes, Minkyung," Nayoung nodded before continuing, "I mean we're partners for a project we have to complete, that's probably the reason you've been seeing us around together a lot." Kyulkyung looked up at this, thinking herself stupid as to not realising this before. Of course they had an assignment together. What else would they possibly be doing?

"And probably the fact that we're having mindblowing too." Nayoung deadpanned.

That hit Kyulkyung like a tonne of bricks. Needless to say, Kyulkyung's jaw almost dropped right down to the cafeteria floor, a look of both surprise and disgust plastering her face.

It only took a moment or two longer for her to realise that Nayoung was quite clearly messing around with her, trying to get a reaction out of the younger girl as Nayoung's sly grin grew wider by the second.

"Very funny." Kyulkyung groaned, "You almost had me there. Im Nayoung: a comical genius."

Nayoung let out a hearty laugh, finding Kyulkyung's reaction somewhat cute.

"I couldn't resist." Nayoung managed to say between her chuckles. That laugh came to a sudden halt however as she observed Kyulkyung, who started placing her things back into her backpack and abruptly standing up. "Wait where are you going?" Nayoung quickly questioned, nervous now that she'd taken things too far.

Kyulkyung didn't look at the other girl as she replied, "I'm done eating," she stated as she tried to shove her half eaten sandwich back into her bag, hoping that Nayoung would not see that she had in fact, not finished eating.

"Anyway, Eunwoo wanted me to meet her somewhere after I was done so," Kyulkyung finished zipping her backpack and slung it over her shoulders before once again looking Nayoung directly in the eyes and stating, "I'd much rather go and do that."

With that Kyulkyung left Nayoung sat alone at their table, Nayoung certainly not failing to miss the sourness in Kyulkyung's final words.

"Seriously?" Nayoung sighed exasperatedly, letting her head fall into her hands in disbelief.

 

 

 

The end of the day couldn't come fast enough for Im Nayoung. She exited her final class with Kyulkyung and the situation in the cafeteria on her mind. There was no doubt that Nayoung had made the comment about her and Minkyung to see what kind of respond she could get out of Kyulkyung, the two had a playful friendship and Nayoung saying something like that wasn't too out of the ordinary. What she didn't expect was for Kyulkyung to get so...bothered.  Things has been almost awkward between them over the past couple of days and Nayoung didn't have the slighest idea why.

Nayoung's pondering thoughts were brought to a pause as she spotted the girl in question across the corridor, placing some textbooks into her locker.

"Kyulkyung!" Nayoung shouted, hoping the younger could hear her across the crowded corridor.

An audible groan left Kyulkyung's lips as Nayoung approached her, resting her head against the locker in front of her.

"Honestly if you're going to be such an again I really do not have the time Nayoung." Kyulkyung said, closing the locker's door with a slam and proceeding to lean against said locker.

Something was evidently bothering the younger girl these past few days.

"What? No, I just wanna talk," Nayoung explained, following Kyulkyung's actions and leaning against the locker beside her, "about before, in the cafeteria."

"What about it?"

Nayoung was taken aback by the bluntness of Kyulkyung's words. "Why did you leave so suddenly?"

"I already told you, I had to meet Eunwoo." Kyulkyung grew tired of the conversation, pushing herself off her locker and making an attempt at walking away. "And like I said, you were being an ."

"Kyulkyung wait." Nayoung said, trailing behind Kyulkyung as she walked down the corridor, "I didn't...I didn't realise I'd said something wrong."

"Forget it, Nayoung." Kyulkyung replied, her pace quickenin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter