Nine

Born to make history

Well today was the day, it was now or never, I checked my phone to see if Victor had messaged at all but there was nothing.
I shook my head, I couldn’t think about that now. I had a job to do. I had to prove to the world that I was a champion.
When I got to the rink, I was the first one there. I thought about getting some last minute practice in, but that wouldn’t be fair to the others, so instead I just waited.
not that long though because it soon filled up.
I went to go get ready.
The other Yuri was first up because he had gotten the lower score yesterday.
I sat on the sidelines and watched him and then realised I knew the program he was using.
It was one of Victor’s!
I scanned around trying to spot him but couldn’t see him anywhere.
I was being silly, the two of them had been teammates back in Russia, of colurse Yuri was going to know some of his sets.
I sat down and sighed.
‘Yuri?’ said a familiar voice.
I looked up and saw the girl that I’d met when I first arrived back, so he had come to see me, I felt a little better.
She smiled ‘I knew you could do it’ she said proudly.
‘Thank you’ I replied.
‘I just want you to know that even if you don’t win today, you’re still a champion to me’ she told me.
‘Thank you, that means a lot’
‘It’s my pleasure’ she said and hugged me ‘just do your best okay?’
This time, I hugged her back ‘I will’ I replied.

Soon, it was my turn on the ice.
To be here and to hear the crowd cheering my name felt wonderful.
There was just one thing missing.
Victor.
He should be here, but he wasn’t so I would dance as if he were watching, as if it was just me and him.
I would dance for him.
I would make him proud of me.
This would be the day that I would be crowned champion.
But then it all went wrong.
I must have worked and pushed myself too hard after all because one minute I was skating gracefully and the next, I was down on the ground in pain.
Why did I always mess up?!
I was furious with myself, but I wasn’t about to give up yet.
‘Yuri, you don’t have to carry on!’ called my new friend, I made a mental note to actually ask her name after this was all over.
I ignored her, I was almost done.
This was it, I hadn’t attempted this combination in almost two years.
I jumped into the air and…
Landed perfectly without fault.
I had done it.
I had made it through a championship final.
As I stood trying to get my breath back she ran onto the ice.
‘Yuri? Are you okay? That fall looked really bad’
‘I’m fine’ I lied.
‘No you’re not’ said a sickeningly sweet familiar voice behind me.
‘Oh my God’ the girl, Mari, I’d asked her name, squealed ‘it’s Victor Nirkovov!’ she looked as though she was going to faint.