Eight

Born to make history

‘You scared you won’t be able to fluke it this time?’ I heard a voice say as Russia’s entry skated past me, I turned just in time to reply.
‘I’ve got nothing to be scared of’
I didn’t dwell on it though, I couldn’t blame him for being jealous. He thought and felt like I had taken Victor from him even though I had nothing to do with it.
In fact, everyone thought I had been leading Victor astray but it had been him to come to me first of, even if I had been the one to say I love you first.
I didn’t care what others thought and any thoughts of them left me when I started my set and it was going really well. I could hear the crowd cheering for me, it felt wonderful.
And then Victor’s voice came into my mind.
‘Don’t do any jumps yet, save yourself’ I rolled my eyes. What harm could a few easy jumps do? None at all as far as I was concerned, so I did it anyway.
And it worked, the crowd’s cheers grew louder. I smiled to myself. Victor would be mad at me for a while but then he’d forgive me when I won for him.
I was getting cocky now so I decided to finish with another jump combination.
But I should have quit while I was ahead. I was doing really well but I misjudged the distance I needed and…
SMACK! Right into the side wall.
I was hoping I didn’t do too much damage but then I felt blood trickling from my nose and tasted it in my mouth.
Everyone was still clapping though. Maybe I could still win.
I hoped so anyway.

Victor’s POV
What was he thinking? I told him not to do anything too difficult and he had completely ignored me.
He was smiling still though until his eyes met mine. I frowned and shook my head before walking away.
‘Victor wait!’ I heard Yuri shout. I sighed and turned around to face him ‘what’s going on?’ he asked.
‘I told you not to do anything too difficult and you ignored me and ended up getting hurt again’ I said.
He looked to the floor ‘I’m sorry’ he said quietly and I rolled my eyes.
‘You’re always sorry Yuri’ I sighed ‘But it doesn’t stop you from getting into trouble’
‘What do you mean?’
‘I mean, I don’t know if this is working out’
‘But we kissed, you said you loved me. We make a good team for so many reasons’
‘Who kisses someone before they say they love a person?’ I asked, ‘you made the first move Yuri…it’s always been you’

He was right, I did. It had always been me, on two separate occasions before Victor had.
Maybe I was just a deluded fanboy after all and Victor had just felt bad for me, but if that was the case, then I was angry at him for leading me on. I tried to think back…it had always been me.
I admitted to having a crush on him first. I was an idiot and I’d made Victor mad at me and now I was all alone and at the worst possible time.
I didn’t want to carry on, how could I now the one person that had always been there for me, cheering me on turned out to be a fake.
No. I couldn’t let that stop me, I had the fans to think of now, I couldn’t let them down. I thought of the girl I’d met when I first came back, was she here now? Had she come to see me? I decided that I would carry on for her even though I didn’t even know her name. I wanted to make at least one person proud of me.
‘You ready to lose Katsuki?’ a voice behind me said.
I turned around to see Victor’s old teammate, who was also called Yuri. He pointed at the scoreboard.
‘Your score means that it’s you and me in the final tomorrow’
‘Your concern for me is flattering but I don’t need it because I’m going to win’ I smiled and walked off.
I was feeling a lot less confident than I appeared to be.
I didn’t sleep well at all, that night.