Eleven

Born to make history

So it was official, I was engaged. I was actually going to get married…I never imagined getting married before, least of all to one of the most famous people in the world, it still felt like some sort of amazing dream. I even pinched myself just to be sure, it hurt, I was awake.
There was a slight problem though, my parents…they would never go for it.
Wait, why did I care? This was my life not theirs, they’d just have to get used to it, after all they would just want me to be happy, right? And Victor made me happy, so happy, he was my life now and I would do anything for him.
‘Something’s bothering you Yuri, what’s the matter?’
‘Just thinking what my parents are going to say about the whole thing’ I replied.
‘Are they likely to not like it? Do they not agree with…well you know’
I shrugged ‘I don’t know’ I said ‘it’s never really come up to be honest’
Victor hugged me ‘it’ll be fine, don’t worry’
‘I hope so’ I sighed and snuggled into him.

Victor’s POV
I felt sorry for Yuri, and kinda nervous for him telling his parents about us, so I decided to talk to them for him. It would go okay…hopefully.
I knocked lightly on the front door and his mother opened straight away.
‘Oh, how nice to see you again Victor’ she smiled ‘how can I help you?’
‘If it’s alright Mrs. Katsuki, I’d like to have a word with you about Yuri’
‘Of course, what’s on your mind’
I decided that it was best just to get right into it.
‘Me and your son are engaged, we’re going to be getting married sometime in the future’ she stared at me for a while.
‘Why are you telling me and not him? Did he send you?’
‘No no, I came without him knowing because I knew he was nervous about telling you’ I explained and she paused and then she sighed.
‘I suppose I always had some sort of idea he preferred men than women’ she said.
‘Really? How?’ she giggled.
‘A mother always knows’ she said simply and I smiled, she had a point ‘thank you for coming to talk to me though Victor, I appreciate it’
‘It’s my pleasure’ I replied, just as Yuri came through the door.

‘Victor, what are you doing here?’ he asked.
‘I just came to talk to your mom’ I answered and smiled.

‘What’s going on?’ I asked.
‘Victor told me everything’ my Mom replied.
‘Oh, and you’re okay with everything?’ I asked nervously.
‘Of course I am my darling, I don’t know why you were so nervous to begin with’ she said and she hugged me ‘you are my Son, I am going to love you know matter what happens, it’s your life and I want you to live it as you see fit, whatever that may be’
‘I actually have more news to tell you’ I said
‘And what might that be?’
‘I finally won a gold medal’ I said taking it out to show her ‘just like I promised I would’
‘You also got hurt again like last time’ said Victor.
‘What? Where? Are you okay? Do you have to stop skating again? Oh, Yuri why weren’t you more careful, I warned you about this’ typical, more interested in the thing I thought less important. I sighed and frowned at Victor who shrugged.
‘Yes Mom, I’m fine but look, I won, I finally managed to win’
‘I’m proud of you sweetheart’ she said and kissed the top of my head ‘I always knew you could do it if you tried your hardest and believed in yourself’
‘Thanks Mom’ she smiled and went into the kitchen.
I turned to Victor.
‘Why did you have to tell her I got hurt again?’
‘Because she was going to find out in the end, isn’t it best she found out now rather than later?’
‘But I’m fine. She’s just going to worry for no reason’
‘She’s your Mom, for her it’s not for no reason’ he said, ‘and maybe you’ll actually listen to her since you don’t listen to me’ he winked and I nudged him in the stomach.

I was the happiest I had been in such a long time, and it wasn’t just because I’d finally managed to win a championship medal. In fact, that wasn’t any of the reason why I was so happy. I had the best person in the world by my side and there was no way I was letting him go. Sure we had been through some tough times over the past few weeks but we had managed to get over them all and come out stronger.
And to anyone that was thinking that the fact we got engaged after only knowing each other a little while, it isn’t the amount of time you spend with a person that makes you know it’s worth it, it’s the quality of the time and the time I had spent with Victor was definitely the best and no one would stand in the way of us being together. I dared anyone to come and try. I was happy and no one was going to spoil it.

 

THE END