Three

Born to make history

Victor’s POV
I was incredibly happy to be getting out of Russia to be honest and I would prove to everyone that my choices had been the right ones.
I was looking forward to my new life in Japan.

The plane landed a few hours later and it was snowing, I was underdressed, it was even worse than back home but I didn’t mind too much.
I found the house easily enough and knocked on the door lightly.
I heard a muffled conversation from the other side and then Yuri answered the door.
‘Hello’ I smiled and held out my hand and saw him blush bright pink ‘oh, have I embarrassed you? I’m sorry’
‘No no it’s fine, come on in’ he said.
‘Thank you very much’ I said and stepped inside.
‘Can I get you anything?’ he asked and I shook my head so he sat down on the other side of the room.
‘Why are you sitting all the way over there?’ I asked and got up to sit next to him which made him blush again.
He got himself together ‘so what do you want to do with me?’ he said.
‘As I said on the phone, I want to be your coach’
‘But why me?’ he asked.
‘I’ve seen your performances and I want to help you of course. I’ve done some research and found that you used to be rather good but then gave up, why is that?’
He looked to the floor ‘I didn’t give up’ he said quietly ‘I got injured so couldn’t skate anymore and then sort of’ he paused ‘forgot, I guess’ he sighed ‘but I’m trying to get back into it’ he added.
‘That’s good, it’s a good start’ I said and put my hand on his shoulder ‘we’ll make you great again Yuri, you’ll see’

I couldn’t believe that this was happening. My idol was here sitting right next to me. Surely, I was going to wake up any time now…nope, I didn’t, this was real and it was really happening to me, of all people.
I would prove myself to Victor, I would show him that I was good enough to be his student.
‘Can I ask you something?’ he said quietly.
‘Of course’ I said. He could do anything he wanted to me…that sounded weirder than I meant it to.
‘You said you got hurt and that’s why you stopped, may I ask what happened?’
I couldn’t look him in the face as I told him.
‘I broke my ankle after landing awkwardly when I tried to do one of you jump combinations for a competition I was a part of’ I looked up and saw sadness in his eyes as if it was his fault that I got hurt.
‘I’m so sorry’ he said and hugged me.
‘It’s okay, r-really, it’s not your fault’ I said.
‘I know that, I’m just sorry that it took such a great talent away for so long’
I blushed ‘I’m not that good’ I muttered rubbing the back of my head.
‘Not that good? Yuri, you are incredible and we will get you to number one again, I promise’
I smiled. I felt honoured that someone like Victor would want to invest their time in me.
Deep down I had a feeling he’d known what had happened to me and that’s why he wanted to help.
He was upset about something that he had no control over and wasn’t even his fault but still wanted to put it right.
I suddenly had so much respect for him.