One

Born to make history

It was my passion, what I was born to do.
So why did I at it?
I sighed and slumped against the wall, no wonder I didn’t have any sponsors anymore. Perhaps I should just give up and let someone younger than me take my place. No! I couldn’t do that, could I? The newer, younger upcoming performers were very good this season and maybe no one would notice if I just slipped away quietly without any fuss.
I squeezed my eyes shut, I had to stop thinking like this, it was just a tiny set back after all. It could happen to anyone at any time.
But it was always happening to me.
Ugh! I needed to get away for a while, I skated over to the edge and changed back into my shoes.
My whole life I had been told that I could do anything if I just believed in myself so I had always pushed myself as hard as I could and beyond.
So what had changed now? I had no idea.

I kept my head down so people wouldn’t recognise me, but it didn’t work, it never did.
‘E-excuse me? Aren’t you Yuri?’ I heard a voice ask. I turned around to see a girl of about fifteen with a pair of skates around her shoulders.
I thought about lying but she smiled at me and I sighed, I was a terrible liar anyways.
‘Yes I am’ I smiled back and her eyes lit up.
‘You’re my idol. I’ve seen all of your competions. I was so happy when my mom bought me my first pair of skates, I thought that one day I could be as good as you’ she paused for a moment ‘are you alright? I was so upset when I heard you’d been injured’
I nodded ‘yes, I’m fine, thank you for your concern’
She smiled again ‘it’s my pleasure really’ she said but I wasn’t really listening anymore…
The injury she was talking about happened two years ago in a competition I was taking part in.
Everything was going great until it became time for my final and most difficult jump combination. I had chosen this particular one because it was the same one my idol had won with in the same final a few years before and now I was lucky enough to be here. It seemed like fate.
But unfortunately for me, fate had other ideas.
I managed to get the first part perfect so that gave me confidence but when it came to the second part, I landed awkwardly and fell which caused my ankle to break, I thought that it was just sprained so whilst in A LOT of pain, I finished my program…somehow.
To be honest, I was more upset about messing up my program then I was about injuring myself. Stupid I know.
Anyway, today had been my first time on the ice since it happened. I’d been told not to skate again since it would cause too much strain but I couldn’t give up, it wasn’t what he would do, my idol Victor Nikorov. He wouldn’t give in, and neither would I.
So here I was, anyway back to reality again hmm?