Seven

Born to make history

When we got back to my house, Victor sat me down and set about cleaning and dressing the worst of the cuts on my feet, I cringed as the cleaning alcohol touched them but Victor did his best to soothe me. I was being such a baby.
‘You didn’t have to do that’ I said when he was done.
‘Don’t be silly, of course I did’ he kissed my forehead ‘I want to take care of you Yuri’
I swallowed ‘Victor, could I ask you something?’
‘Anything at all’ he replied my cheek.
‘Could you…’ I paused ‘could you please stay with me forever? Even after I retire from skating for good?’
He smiled ‘oh Yuri, as if I have to answer that’ he said as he hugged me ‘of course I’ll stay with you, I love you, although I hope you never retire’ he winked.
That, was the first time he’d said that he loved me since we got together.
I didn’t know how to react.

Victor’s POV
It was true, it was the first time I’d told Yuri I loved him. I had just wanted to be sure and I was definitely sure now. Seeing what he was putting himself through just made me want to wrap him up in cotton wool and protect him forever.
And that was exactly what I was going to do, no matter what it took to do it
I blinked and realised that Yuri hadn’t responded to me yet.
‘Are you okay?’ I asked nervously, scared that I had been too forward too soon but then he smiled at me and I breathed a sigh of relief as he whispered ever so softly.
‘I love you too Victor’ a tear glistening in the corner of his eye.
‘Oh no no don’t cry again’ I feel awful when you cry’ Yuri giggled ‘let’s talk about how you’re going to wipe the floor with everyone in China instead’ I smirked.
‘Do you really think I can Victor?’ he said ‘the skaters in this round are pretty amazing’
‘That is true, they are’ I agreed ‘but you my darling Yuri are even better’ he smiled.
‘With you by my side, I know I can do anything’
‘I know you can do anything anyway’ I said and kissed him, catching him by surprise as he blushed.
We didn’t have to hide anymore, not after my last little stunt. Everything was out in the open and it felt good that it was. We could concentrate more now and not have to worry about showing affection towards one another. Although many fangirls would probably think it was all an act for the cameras and I didn’t have it in me to break their hearts.
Besides, I had Yuri to think about now. He was right about the skaters in China, I had competed against them several times myself, they were the best of the best.
I only hoped that Yuri really was ready.
Ugh, what was I saying? Of course, he was ready.
He was a champion in his own right, of course he could do this.

Victor did his best for me by trying to fill me in on what the other skaters were like, who, now they found out that Victor wasn’t taking part, were even more desperate to win themselves and would do anything they could to do so.
But they wouldn’t be able to because I was going to win.
I would show everyone that I wasn’t finished yet.
‘Victor’ I said before I headed out onto the ice.
‘Hmm?’ he replied, half listening and half watching the other skaters.
‘When this whole thing is over, I’m going to bring you another gold medal’ I told him.
That got his attention, he spun round to face me and I just smiled.
‘I mean it’ I said ‘I want to prove to you that this whole thing wasn’t and isn’t a waste of time’
‘But Yuri, I don’t want you to hurt yourself again. This could never have been a waste of time, because I met you’ I put my finger to his lips and then kissed him.
I heard him sigh in my mouth and I smiled.
‘I promise’ I whispered and headed out onto the ice.