Chapter 2

Can You Take My Hand?

“Chorong-ah! You shouldn’t have become that rude towards Bomi” Her mother patted her daughter’s shoulder totally disappointed on how she acted just earlier.

“Why can’t I? She’s so persistent at me, do you want me to take her confession and live with her? Do you want your daughter to be in a relationship with a girl?” Chorong, who’s sitting on the edge of her bed, said not wanting to raise her voice on her mother yet she already did.

“It’s not about you and her, it’s about how you treat her. Chorong both of you were really great childhood friends since you’re 7 and when she confessed to you around 17 you totally leaved her your friendship into oblivion. Do you know how painful it had become to her?” Her mother said trying to reason out the reality.

“Are you on her side mom? Was it because she’s giving too many gifts to you and Hayoung? Am I not enough to give you what the both of you wanted?” Chorong said screaming as she was really frustrated, but the thing she did not know is that she offended her mother drastically.

*SLAP*

Chorong was left shocked as her hand cupped her own cheek feeling the painful hit by her mother.

“How could you insult me and Hayoung, Chorong-ah you know how much we really appreciate all the things you’re giving us while you’re father had died early, I know it’s hard on your part to take care and feed us. We’re really sorry for making you not experience all the great things as a young woman, we love you but I hope you’ll not be that unashamed enough to offend me, your mother! I’m sorry for being disabled, Chorong!” Her mother said as Chorong was really pinned in her heart, she felt like it’s tearing into pieces not because she was hurt by the slap her mother gave her, but because of the pain she felt for insulting her mother with her own words.

“I-I’m sorry mom!” Chorong began sobbing, totally messed up as she didn’t really wanted to hurt her mother nor to stress out that her mother is a disabled person who cannot do anything but be a burden. Off all things, hurting her mother is the last thing she would do but now with her overflowing emotions, she didn’t notice she already did.

“I’m sorry mom!” She screamed sobbing really hard. Her mother then pulled her in a hug and she rubbed her hand on her back comforting her daughter and it is indeed comforting. She felt even more hurt how her mother still is so kind to her despite her rudeness.

“I’m sorry mom! I really do! I never wanted to hurt you!” She said crying in the arms of her mother.

“I know, I know! I’m sorry I slap you too” Her mother said still comforting Chorong

“It’s my fault mom, it’s my fault”

The room was filled with Chorong’s sound of crying, it faded out as more minutes passed by. When her mother felt that she already calmed down, she pulled out of the hug and then begins to tell a story…

 “You know what, Chorong? I was really fond of Bomi” Her mother said as she looked at Chorong

This was not the most comforting topic for Chorong, but still she listened to her mother very well…

-------------------------------------------

“Chorong-ah, I know it’s really weird that your best friend suddenly confessed to you. But don’t you think you can just turn her down in a respectful way? I mean she’s once your friend, she’s always there for you ever since and even after you ignored her with her confession. Stop saying harsh things on her” Chorong’s mother said as she taps the shoulder of her daughter. While Chorong’s not really looking at her instead she just played with her fingers lain on her lap.

“It has been 5 years after she confessed to you, and from those 5 years… you’ve changed your treatment towards her. You tried to ignore her every time she’s around, and when she became to get her attention you always say harsh words on her. Don’t you think that’s too much?” Her mother explained to her.

As these words were spitted out from her mother’s mouth, Chorong still didn’t felt guilty. Instead she said these cold words “But mom, I can’t accept her. She’s not the best friend I knew in my childhood”

“So you’re willing to just erase those memories with her? And just leave her for she’s not the friend you’ve expected from the beginning?” Chorong then looked up looking to her mother’s eyes from staring at her fingers on her lap. Somehow there’s sadness in her eyes that can’t be explained why. Was it because she still really cares for Bomi?

“You know, in that 5 years you’re ignoring and acting rude on her. She still remained at your side, at our side. She always visits you, bring foods for us when we have none in the fridge, and even help us in our financial needs. I’m not bragging to make you accept her because of gratitude, it’s just that… please just turn her down respectfully and just tell her to come back being friends. By then, I know Bomi will understand”

“I’ve already turned her down, mom”

“But not in a respectful way. She hasn’t got any real answers from you at all Chorong. You ignored her right away remember? Maybe she’s that persistent because she wanted to know your answer”

“But isn’t it obvious? I’m ignoring her means I don’t like it, for God’s sake it’s already 5 years, and don’t tell me she hasn’t realized that yet?!” Chorong said as she closed her eyes and shakes her head, she’s really angry about it.

“Bomi’s leaving” Her mother said which shocked Chorong.