Arrival

Girl meets Boy

When I heard that we were moving to Seoul, I have to admit, I wasn't particularly displeased. However... it was a dramatic manoeuvre that has left me stunned. Seoul? For a coffee shop? You have to be kidding me.

"Darling? Are you ready to go?" My mum called. Looking in the mirror I crumpled my face, throwing a pretend paddy. 

"Hannah, stop messing around now! Get down here." My dads low voice shook through me as I scrambled up from the floor. 

"Okay Hannah, you got this!" I convinced myself that my last year of school in Seoul would be for the better. Better education, nicer people... I hope.

 

With a safe landing, we all departed the plane and entered the grand Gimpo International Airport. I inhaled deeply, attempting to keep my head attached to my shoulders. We were really in Seoul. New culture. New language. Different air... air? 

"Jack! Do you have any idea where we go?" I heard my mum hiss to my dad.

"Do you really think I can read Korean?" Dad muttered, clearly confused too. 

"Annyeonghasibnikka!" A shrill voice came from behind us, startling all of us. We turned around at the same time, seeing a plump Korean lady beaming at us.

"Err..." I mumbled.

"Wait, wait!" My dad held his finger up at the lady, indicating her to wait. He whipped out a small pocket dictionary. He started flicking through the pages until his eyes became relieved, "annyeonghaseyo."

"Ah!" The woman started giggling, "you English?" As soon as those relatable words came out of , we all nodded desperately, "follow me, follow me."

We did as she asked, all feeling relieved that we didn't have to miserabley construct a Korean sentence together. 

Led outside of the airport, a humble man was standing and waiting. When seeing us, his straight face suddenly creased as his mouth stretched into a warm smile, "i salamdeul-eun lipeuteu anaega pil-yohabnikka?"

"Yeong-eoleul hal jul aseyo." The lady whispered. She turned to us and said lightly, "we try speak English to you." All bowing in gratefulness we loaded our luggage in the back of the old couple's car. 

 

The journey was quiet as I gazed out of the window, marvelling at all the magnificent buildings. I thought to myself, if only I could learn Korean, life here wouldn't be so bad.

"So, why you come to Korea?" The lady asked with a strong but cute accent. 

"I was offered to be the owner of a coffee shop." My dad replied proudly. 

"Own coffee shop?" The old man interrupted in a surprised tone, "that good." I averted my gaze to see the old mans eyes crease with happiness. Already I felt like us foreigners were accepted and admired; maybe things wouldn't be so hard.