Five

To Mend a Broken Heart

“ So, what did you say Teacher Lee valued the most? Technique, or, the general impression?”

Yoongi groaned, before answering in a tired voice, “ Kid, this is the 4th time you asked me that. This is the last time I repeat myself-it is both with an emphasis on the technique. Now, stop bothering me.”

Usually, anyone who knew him well enough, or even the people who didn’t, when they heard his annoyed voice, they would leave him alone, so as to not experience his wrath.

But, this kid knew no fear, Yoongi concluded as he felt the edge of his bed dip.

He lowered his book on the basics of music production while grumbling under his breath and he was met with the expectant brown eyes that were fixated on his face.

He tried to ignore the way his heart skipped a beat at the sight and he focused on making his expression menacing.

“ Does your tummy hurt?”, his roommate had asked while staring at him with frowned eyebrows and Yoongi couldn’t help but stare at him with a blank face as he said, “ What? No, why?”

“ Oh, well you looked constipated for a moment.”, the boy said so earnestly that Yoongi couldn’t even get mad at him.

Mental note to himself: work on your MENACING expression.

The brown-haired boy was still staring at him, his eyes twinkling like two stars in the middle of a dark sky that Yoongi let out a defeated sigh as he said, “ Jimin, you will find out all of it on your first week. So, why are you in such a rush to have all the info? Just relax and enjoy these few days of freedom that you have left, before hell begins.”

His roommate pouted as he brought his knees to his chin, making himself even smaller on Yoongi’s bed which made something tug at his chest as his gaze softened when Jimin said, “ I know, but it’s just… I am afraid. What if the professors don’t like me? Or the students? What if nobody wants to be friends with me?”

Yoongi couldn’t believe how the same boy that had been living with him for the past 2 months and that practically wouldn’t stop bothering him until he got all the answers he wanted was now this little ball of insecurities, although he had no reason to have them.

But, Yoongi had come to realize while sharing his dorm room with this kid that Park Jimin was a complex personality.

On one hand, he was persistent, stubborn and self-confident while on the other hand he could get extremely shy and overwhelmed with insecurities about everything concerning him that he would become like this, basking in self-pity until somebody assured him that he had nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately, that somebody became Yoongi who was at comforting people.

He never learned how to properly deal with public displays of feelings, since he was a reserved person most of the time, and his friends knew that, so they usually came to him for advice, but almost never for comfort.

And now he was stuck sharing a dorm room with someone who needed constant reassurance and sympathy and well, Yoongi had a really hard time providing that.

However, Jimin didn’t seem to mind that Yoongi would usually tell him that that wasn’t true and that he shouldn’t worry so much, because if he could tolerate his presence than the others will as well.

Most people would get offended at Yoongi’s blunt words, but surprisingly Jimin would smile at him shyly and thank him.

And then in a few hours Jimin’s mood would get better, leaving Yoongi completely baffled.

This time, however, Jimin seemed so worried that Yoongi did something uncharacteristic for him.

He scooted closer to Jimin, and awkwardly patted his shoulder.

His roommate widened his eyes at him, obviously also surprised at Yoongi initiating physical contact which was a first, so Yoongi cleared his throat, trying to seem casual as he said in that moment, “ Okay, then. Tell me, who do you want to know about, again?”

When Jimin blinked at him a few times, before his lips stretched in the widest smile as he beamed at him and excitedly asked, “ Mr. Kim-what did you say his students needed to have for him to select them for the annual dance competition?”, Yoongi figured that he could sacrifice a few hours of his time to comfort his roommate.

After all, he wasn’t as heartless as most people thought.

Also, if there was one more thing he had come to realize in these two months that he had been sharing a dorm room with the brown-haired boy, was that Park Jimin had a way of making you go soft for him.

And Yoongi wasn’t immune to that, either.

“Here is your caffe latte.”, a female voice chirped and Yoongi looked up and thanked the girl, before reaching to take the ceramic mug placed in front of him.

Thankfully, he hadn’t taken the mug of hot liquid, because he was sure he would have burned himself when he noticed a person sitting across him, causing him to experience a mini heart-attack while cursing under his breath.

“ Holy , how long have you been there?!”

The pastel haired male who was staring at him with an unusually serious expression that always made Yoongi uncomfortable, opened his mouth and said, “ I slipped in here about 10 minutes ago. But, you seemed lost in thought, so I waited until you snapped out of it. Were you thinking about him again?”

Yoongi frowned, looking at his mug.

He heard Hoseok sigh, before his friend said in a slightly concerned voice, “ Yoongi, it’s been almost 6 months since the break-up. I know it’s hard, but maybe you need to start dating someone new to move on.”

“ Hoseok.”, Yoongi firmly said, making his friend go quiet.

Yoongi appreciated Hoseok’s concern, but he was fine.

He had in fact moved on.

He had an apartment, went to lectures like always, produced music as always and even had a new roommate who he actually got along well with.

So, why was Hoseok making such a big ing deal about him sometimes reminiscing about some parts of his life?

He clenched his fist, before directing his gaze right at Hoseok, his voice flat as he said, “ I have moved on. And I have no desire to date anyone, especially not anytime soon. So, drop the subject.”

His friend seemed displeased with his answer, but he knew better than to push it, especially when Yoongi’s patience was thin like now.

“ Fine. Moving on to more cheerful topics. Christmas is next week.”, Hoseok said with a grin.

“ Yeah, so what?”, Yoongi deadpanned, before taking a sip of his coffee.

“ What do you mean-so what?! We need to celebrate it! All of us together, of course!”, Hoseok exclaimed and Yoongi scowled.

He had really wanted to spend Christmas, and other days of the holiday as well, in his apartment-sleeping and producing music.

That was his idea of an enjoyable holiday and now Hoseok just had to ruin his concept of a fun time with his ideas of bonding and what-not.

Wasn’t it enough that Yoongi had to see them almost every day and even talk to them?

How much more bonding did they need, he wondered as he felt exhaustion catching up to him just at the thought of some wild Christmas party that Hoseok and Taehyung were known to organize every year.

Maybe, Lord will have mercy this year, and Hoseok will just suggest some small gathering for Christmas.

“ So. Tae and I were thinking. Whipped cream, handcuffs, leather whips and dog collars. The theme would be: Get naughty, because Santa is probably a old man as well.”, Hoseok had said with an expectant grin.

Yoongi made a disgusted face as he flat-down rejected and said, “ No. Count me out. I even lost the desire for coffee now. I think I am just gonna leave, before something even more stupid leaves that filthy mouth of yours.”

Yoongi made a movement as he was about to leave, but Hosek quickly grabbed his wrist and cried out desperately, “ God, fine. You are such a buzzkill as always. But, since I am an amazing friend, I will make a boring party just so that Mister Stuck-Up would show up, okay?”

Yoongi glared at his friend who was talking to him in a condescending manner and he was just about to make some snarky remark when Hoseok quickly added, “ Actually, forget the party. Jackson’s sister and her husband had told Jackson that he can use his parent’s cottage in Pyeongchang this year since they are going to be skiing in Japan this holiday. Anyways he invited a few of his friends, us, and Namjoon to spend Christmas there. We would leave on December 24th and return on the 27th. So, what do you say?”

Yoongi thought about it for a moment, and surprisingly the idea seemed pretty tempting which was a shock since Hoseok had suggested it.

He couldn’t remember the last time he left Seoul, so this would be a nice change.

Although spending a few days with these rowdy s would probably be anything but peaceful and quiet, but he had his headphones and his laptop and he hoped the bedroom in the cottage could be locked, so he said, “ I am in.”

Hoseok’s eyes sparkled, and Yoongi wondered if he was going to regret this rash decision, but before he could think about it, Hoseok had already said he had to make a few calls, and how this was going to be the “best ing Christmas ever” and “we are going to get so wasted, man”, before rushing out of the café.

Yoongi rubbed his temples, realizing that this might not have been the best idea, but honestly maybe he needed to get away from Seoul, the University and anything associated to Jimin.

His mind was once again filled with memories of Jimin.

“ You are starting your first year in September, so I do not understand what brings you to the dorms at the beginning of summer break?”, Yoongi voiced out his thoughts when his new roommate told him that he was going to spend the summer with him in the dorms.

Yoongi was actually looking forward to finally having the dorm room for himself now that his previous roommate had finally moved out, or well ran away from him, but now this Jimin kid moved in and wanted to stay here during the summer break.

Ignoring the fact that Jimin was really attractive, Yoongi really didn’t want to be stuck with someone who he didn’t know if he didn’t have to.

Once the lectures would begin, it would be a different story, especially since Yoongi was a year older so they probably wouldn’t even see each other much which was perfectly fine with Yoongi.

But now, not only has this Jimin kid moved in at the beginning of the summer break, now he was determined in not going back home.

Yoongi had a reason for not going back home, since his parents did not really approve of his ual orientation, or his career choice, so the relations between them were strained, but Yoongi had definitely heard Jimin talking to his mother in a loving voice over the phone a few days ago, so what in the actual ??

“ Ah, well my parents are not going to be in Busan for a month or even more, since they want to travel all around Asia, so there is no point in me going back. Besides, like this we can get to know each other better.”, the brown haired kid beamed at him, and Yoongi was sure that he was going to go blind with how brightly the kid was smiling at him.

It irked him to no end.

“ Look, I like peace and quiet, so I don’t have time to babysit you, okay?”, Yoongi spat out and he realized that he was harsh when he saw the hurt flicker across Jimin’s soft features.

God, he shouldn’t be allowed to socialize with people, especially not people like his new roommate who looked so fragile.

He was just about to try and apologize when Jimin looked at him with determined eyes, “ I won’t bother you, Hyung. I promise.”

Yoongi stared at him for a few moments before nodding.

Of course, the promise was already broken the next day when Jimin started asking him all sorts of question about his life.

So, in order to distract him, Yoongi asked him what his major was and Jimin’s whole face lit up as he talked about his passion for dance.

And Yoongi just had to open his mouth in that moment and start talking about a few professors in the dance department while telling Jimin what to pay attention to in classes.

He failed to notice how Jimin looked at him as if he was an angel sent from heaven in that moment, and from that day on he became Jimin’s source of knowledge about the hacks and tricks on how to survive 1st year in the dance department.

And yes, maybe, just maybe, he loved the way Jimin called him a genius every time, so he forgot to mention that he knew all of that since Hoseok was a dance major as well and Yoongi practically had to listen to his complaints ever since they enrolled at the University.

Besides, Hoseok was currently spending his summer holiday at home, so there was no harm in letting Jimin believe that Yoongi is an experienced sophomore with connections in all departments, although that couldn’t be further from the actual truth, but what Jimin doesn’t know, won’t hurt him.

Moreover, Hoseok always said that he should work on his people-skills, so there, he was trying.

It’s not that he was doing it just because every time Jimin looked at him with those warm eyes and a gentle smile, he felt short of breath and his chest itched in a weird way.

Nope.

Nothing like that.

(︺︹︺)

“ Hey, so just to confirm. We are leaving tomorrow at 7 a.m. Joon is going to rent a car and we should be there in about 3 hours.”

“ Hoseok, you had been telling me this every day of the week, for ’s sake.” , Yoongi grumbled in his phone as he entered his building.

“ I need to make sure you won’t bail. Now, have you packed?”, Hoseok asked and he was starting to sound like his mother, constantly nagging, Yoongi thought.

“ Yes. Now leave me alone.”, Yoongi said, before he hang up on his friend.

Packed.

Pft.

He just needed to pack his laptop, headphones, phone, chargers, some clothes in his backpack and that’s it.

Why make such a big deal about it, sheesh when it could be done in less than 5 minutes.

“Yoongi, is that you?” Jin’s voice echoed through the apartment, reaching Yoongi’s ear, who was in the middle of entering the apartment and tripping over the rug in the hallway while letting out an annoyed grunt.

He cursed under his breath for letting Seokjin place that rug there, saying how nobody likes to take off their shoes and let the coldness of the linoleum seep into their toes and spread through their cold body.

Yoongi agreed to his roommate’s request just to stop him from continuing his little overdramatic monologue about the discomfort of linoleum.

The small triumphant smile on the elder’s lips that followed made Yoongi believe how his roommate was obviously the type of person to persist until getting what he wants.

He admired that and feared it, because he had a hunch that in no time his roommate would turn their apartment into a pink castle instead of the minimalistic feel that Yoongi spent about a month trying to achieve by fixing shelves and buying furniture.

“No, it’s a burglar. I am here to steal all your Super Mario figurines.” , Yoongi replied with a snort, fully aware of how protective Seokjin was of his little figurines.

He heard a shocked gasp from the living room, followed by a “ Ha-ha, very funny.”

Yoongi smiled to himself after hearing his roommate’s ironic, unamused voice.

“ Now, hurry up. I want to show you something!”, he was slightly puzzled by Seokjin’s giddiness, so he did as he was told.

“ Okay, so what is so important that you want to…Show me?” , Yoongi’s words died on his throat as he stood in the living room, faced with his roommate who was bursting from happiness.

“ So, what do you think?”, Seokjin asked expectantly.

“Hyung,what do you think? Do you like it”

Yoongi sat on his bed motionless as he stared at the shorter male in front of him.

“ Pink. Your hair is pink.” , he whispered, staring at the male in front of him.

“Y-yeah. I kind of wanted a change. So…What do you think? Is it bad?” , Jimin asked, biting on his lower lip worriedly after Yoongi kept sitting on his bed in a sort of a shock.

Once he saw Jimin’s disappointed stare, he snapped out of his state and quickly got up, cupping the younger’s face.

“ Are you insane? You could never look bad in my eyes…” , Yoongi said, uncharacteristically fondly for him, but that was Park Jimin’s effect on him.

“ Really? So you like it?” Jimin asked with hopeful eyes.

“ Really. I love it.” Yoongi said with a small smile, before bringing their lips together.

“Yoongi? Do you like it?” , the now-pink haired roommate of his asked again, and brought Yoongi back from his reverie.

“ No.” , Yoongi replied bluntly.

He winced as soon as those words left his mouth and as soon as he saw the hurt look on the pink haired male’s face.

“ Oh…I see…” , his roommate touched his freshly dyed pink-strands self-consciously, a small, sad smile on his lips as he said, “ I guess my friends lied when they said it suited me, so that they would not hurt my feelings since pink is my favourite colour.”

Yoongi’s throat went dry as he stared at the way Seokjin stared at the floor.

“ I guess that is why I asked you to be sure. Since, you are the most honest person I know. Thanks for being sincere. Unfortunately it will take a while before I can dye my hair back, but I guess I will just cover it with beanies, snapbacks and such.” , Seokjin said with a little forced chuckle and went into his room.

Before Yoongi could say anything, his roommate came back.

His hair was now neatly tucked under his black snapback and he offered another smile to Yoongi and said, “ I have to go to classes. I left lunch in the fridge. See you in the evening.”

And without another word, his roommate left the apartment.

Yoongi stood in the same spot in the living room for a few more moments, before raking a hand through his hair in frustration and muttering, “ .”

“ Such an idiot.” , he chided himself while plopping down on the chair at the dining table and lightly banging his head against the wooden surface.

He let out a long sigh, thinking about how stupid he was.

It was just that it was too much of a shock for his roommate to suddenly have pink hair, and to ask him almost the same thing as Jimin did once.

The worst part was that when he said “ No.” he imagined saying it to Jimin and not Seokjin.

While he did not necessarily lie when he told Jimin that he loved his new hair, it wasn’t the complete truth either.

The shade of his hair was dark pink and it was kind of a weird contrast against his pale skin.

But, Yoongi was so whipped at that moment for Jimin that he honestly thought the shorter man would look good even if he was bald.

So, it was only later when he got off cloud nine that he realized that when he said “ I love it.” to Jimin, it was actually along the lines, “ I love you, so I love you no matter how you look.”

However, he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards his new roommate.

Meaning that he could have been objective when Seokjin asked him about his opinion.

And yet he let his memories and current negative feelings towards Jimin cloud his judgment, and a lie came out of his mouth.

And a big one, because truth to be told, Kim Seokjin seemed to be born to have pink hair.

Unlike Jimin’s dark shade of pink, Seokjin’s was a soft baby pink shade.

It complemented his milky complexion, made his caramel eyes shine even brighter and if it was possible, it made his face look even gentler.

Not to mention that his whole face lit up as he waited for Yoongi’s reaction.

And then Yoongi just had to open his stupid big mouth and ruin it all.

“ Damn it.” , Yoongi cursed himself once more, banging his forehead on the table.

He had to think of a way to fix this.

But, how?

God, Seokjin even left him lunch and thanked him for being honest (although rude was what he was) with that sad smile, and Yoongi couldn’t bear such a look on him.

If Hoseok and Taehyung found out that he broke the heart of their angel, they would never let him see the light of day.

Heck, even he felt bad about what he had done as soon as those words left his mouth.

It was one thing to insult his friends who knew him, and stated that “that was his way of showing love” although he would disagree, but to make his roommate feel bad without any reason whatsoever just because he was reminded of a person whose name now left a bitter taste in his mouth?

Unforgivable.

He wondered what he could do to make it up to Seokjin.

He thought about it for some time, but nothing came to his mind.

He went to pack his things for tomorrow, and he thought how he was just going to talk to Seokjin in the evening and tell him that he didn’t mean it.

So much about his so-called honesty that his roommate admired in him.

(︺︹︺)

It was almost midnight when Yoongi’s phone screen lit up.

He had been waiting all this time for Seokjin to come back home, but there was still no sign of him.

He looked at his phone and saw that he had a new message.

From: Roommate

Gonna sleep over at a friend’s house. See you after holidays, have fun on your trip.

 

Yoongi read the message once again, before groaning and tossing his phone on the bed.

So, he had definitely screwed up, if Kim Seokjin who used emoticons in every message, no matter how short it was, now actually sent him such a cold message.

Also, he was going to have to wait to get back to sort things out with his roommate.

He had mentioned it to Seokjin that he was going on a trip a few days ago with friends and Seokjin said he might be too, but wasn’t sure yet.

They haven’t really discussed it then, but Yoongi had no idea if he was going to see Seokjin when he came back from his trip, or when lectures started again.

And that actually meant that it might be 2 weeks before they see each other.

And Yoongi didn’t want things between them to get awkward.

He could always apologize in a message, but he at that.

He at apologies in general.

In the end he hadn’t slept well that night which resulted in Hoseok asking him why he looked like a zombie in the morning, which earned the pastel-haired male a smack in the head.

(︺︹︺)

Yoongi couldn’t believe that they had finally arrived at Jackson’s cottage.

What was supposed to be a 3 hour drive turned into a 6 hour drive with Namjoon missing the right turn that he didn’t notice until about 4 hours had passed and they were suddenly stranded in the middle of nowhere, with only trees and snow surrounding them.

Not to mention that none of them had signal in that area and they were running low on gas which resulted in Hoseok wailing how they were going to die there and be eaten by snow animals ( whatever the that was) while Taehyung ran around the snowy fields, making snow angels.

Luckily, some nice old man actually stopped the car to tell them how to get to Pyeongchang and they had just enough gas to get there.

So, now Yoongi was defrosting in the living room in the cottage near the fireplace while Hoseok enacted their “close encounter with death in the middle of nowhere” to the rest of their friends.

“ So there are exactly 5 bedrooms. Me and Namjoon are in one, Hoseok and Taehyung in another while Mark and BamBam are in the other. So that leaves JR and Yoongi and JB is running late, but he is bringing his friend so they will room together.”, Jackson had stated, and Yoongi was amazed at how rich Jackson’s parents were to actually have a cottage with 5 bedrooms.

“ Who is the friend?” Namjoon had asked and Jackson shrugged his shoulders and said,“ Not sure. He is from our University, and JB said he is a chill dude, so why not.”

“ Ah, I hope he is hot.”, Hoseok had said.

“ Well, if he is, then he sure as hell isn’t going to look at you.”, Jackson mocked, causing Hoseok to glare at him.

They started bickering and Yoongi thought how this was the perfect timing to head to his bedroom, before he got a headache.

He was just about to retreat to the bedroom upstairs that Jackson had said was his and JR’s, when a new voice yelled, “ Sorry, we are late!”

Yoongi was already on the stairs and he contemplated on dragging his tired upstairs, taking a nap and then coming down and greeting JB and his friend, but then Hoseok exclaimed in a surprised voice, “ Seokjin-Hyung?!”

Yoongi turned around only to see his roommate standing next to JB, with a surprised expression.

“ You know, Jin?”, JB asked and Taehyung said, “ Yeah. He is Yoongi’s roommate.”

In that moment everyone looked up at Yoongi, but the only person Yoongi was looking was his roommate whose eyes were wide, before he shifted his gaze and looked down while tugging his baby blue beanie to hide his pink strands.

Oh, yeah, this was so not going to be an awkward holiday, Yoongi sarcastically thought, thinking how he really should have stayed at home in his den of blankets.

Merry-ing-Christmas to him.