Eleven

To Mend a Broken Heart

As promised, I had more time to write now, so I did. :) Also, once again-thank you for all the lovely comments and I hope you are all healthy too and doing well in your lives. :D


 

“ Kimchi, Samgyeopsal, Jjajangmyeon…Ah, seriously…Why does everything seem so complicated to make?!” Yoongi let out a frustrated groan as he scrolled through the list of top hangover dishes on his cell phone.

He really regretted being so lazy when he was a kid that he always made up some excuse when his mother wanted him to assist her in the kitchen.

If he hadn’t been like that in his childhood, then he wouldn’t be struggling with this right now.

“ Oh!” his eyes lit up when he saw one of the dishes on the list.

“Hangover soup? This must be the most effective cure since the name says so.” he nodded to himself with determination and went to his bedroom.

When he checked if he had brought everything that he needed, he went to the kitchen and took a bottle of water from the fridge.

Then he tip-toed to the bedroom of his roommate.

He opened the door carefully, and saw a mop of pink strands underneath a blanket.

He tried to be as quiet as possible as he approached the night dresser next to Jin’s bed.

He collected the three empty water bottles lying on the floor and placed a new one on the night dresser.

He couldn’t see Jin’s face, but he heard his deep breathing underneath the cover which made him sigh in relief.

With his mind slightly at peace, he went out of the room and left the apartment as quickly as possible.

It was early in the morning, but he didn’t want to stay out of the apartment more than necessary in case Jin wakes up, so he quickened his pace despite his protesting legs at being abused like this so early in the morning.

(︺︹︺)

“ For the last time, I haven’t gone insane, you . I am hanging up. You were of absolutely no use.”

Yoongi hung up and started grumbling under his breath as he balanced his cell phone, apartment keys and a bag of food while trying to open the door to his apartment, “Tsch, what’s the point of having friends if they can’t even help you when you ask them to do something a monkey could do. That Jung Hoseok acted is if I had never ever gotten out of bed before 10 a.m. He couldn’t even look up for a restaurant that sells hangover soup and just kept rambling how there must be something wrong with me to be up so early. Completely useless. Why didn’t I call Namjoon in the first place?”

Luckily, he was competent enough to find a restaurant on his own by asking one of the old ladies on the street market, but unfortunately he had to listen to Hoseok’s rant over the phone all the way to his apartment.

Even though he hung up on him a few times, the bastard was persistent and he couldn’t completely turn off his cell in case Jin called him.

Yoongi finally managed to get into the apartment, using his foot to close the front door and wincing when it slammed shut.

“ .” He cursed under his breath.

“ Yoongi?”

He widened his eyes in surprise when he heard that soft voice calling out to him from the dining room.

He hurriedly made his way towards the living room and found his roommate sitting on the chair at the dining table, completely wrapped in his blanket from head to toe, his face being the only visible thing in that blanket burrito.

It was kind of adorable, if Yoongi was being honest, but he kept that thought to himself.

“Hey, you should be resting. Go lie down and I will bring you what you need, okay?” Yoongi said as he put the bag on the table while Jin watched his every movement with his slightly puffy eyes.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Jin shaking his head as he responded, “ Everything hurts from lying down so much and I feel better now.”

Yoongi narrowed his eyes at his roommate, not buying his explanation completely as he said, “ You are not lying to me, are you? Because if you are, I will find out about it.”

It was kind of amusing how Jin seemed to get slightly startled at that, as if Yoongi would really do something to him if he found out Jin was faking it about feeling well enough to be up.

His eyes bulged and he shook his head fervently, saying, “ I am fine, I swear!”

Yoongi observed him for a few moments, taking in his pale face and the way he clutched his blanket tightly with his body slightly trembling.

He frowned and bit his lower lip thinking how the effects of the drug still haven’t completely worn off , if Jin was still shivering.

However, the doctor at the emergency room did say yesterday night that even though the drug which was in Jin’s drink wasn’t that strong and that he would only be experiencing minor symptoms, it would still need to pass about 24 hours for its effects to completely wear off.

Yoongi immediately took the contents of the bag and placed a few bowls in front of Jin, before removing the plastic wrap.

“ Eat, before it gets cold.” he muttered, not even looking at Jin.

“ What’s this?”

He just had to ask, didn’t he, Yoongi groaned mentally.

As if it wasn’t humiliating enough that he did something like this, and now Jin just had to prolong his embarrassment.

His heart pounded in his chest and he could feel his throat going dry as he quietly said, “ Hangover soup. It should help with your condition, so eat up. “

He tried to busy himself with something else, but after a beat of silence he heard Jin’s breathless voice, “ You actually woke up this early and went out to buy this for me?”

Oh, come on, can’t his roommate just let him live, Yoongi lamented his fortune.

“ Yeah, yeah, why are you so surprised? I mean after taking care of you the whole night, this is nothing, so don’t make a fuss about it.” he snapped, not out of irritation, but embarrassment as he felt his cheeks slightly heating up.

However, he regretted it as soon as he heard a sniffle followed by a quiet, “ I am sorry.”

He quickly looked up and saw Jin taking a spoon with a shaky hand, his head lowered as he absent-mindedly stirred the soup.

God damn it, why was he so bad at comforting people?!

Yoongi took a deep breath and sat next to Jin who didn’t dare look at him.

He let out an exasperated sigh, before saying, “ You don’t have to apologize. It really wasn’t a big deal. I wanted to do this. Besides, I am not going to die just by waking up this early. Seriously, what do you all take me for?”

He tried to make his voice light and teasing at the end, but that seemed to have the opposite effect on the elder who hiccupped in response.

Yoongi’s voice became gentle as he tentatively said, “ Hey, hey, really. It’s fine. I didn’t mind taking care of you. And you really weren’t troublesome and also I…”

However, he didn’t get to finish what he started to say, because his roommate quickly turned to him, his eyes teary-eyed as he practically yelled out, “ How can you say that?! It’s because I was stupid and careless that all of this happened and that you had to come and pick me up at the nightclub yesterday and even spend the night taking care of me! And you didn’t even complain once and now you keep being so nice to me even though I told you to off yesterday and…”

Yoongi watched at the blanket burrito that was his roommate, who couldn’t even finish what he wanted to say as he started sniffling and hiccupping with hot tears streaming down his face.

Yoongi got startled when Jin suddenly cursed and started rubbing his face violently with his sleeve.

“ Argh, a-and now I am even bawling my eyes out in front of you. Could I get any more pathetic?!” . his roommate groaned and even though Yoongi kept his distance now that Jin was sober, since he wasn’t sure if the elder would even want for him to touch him or anything, he really couldn’t just stay still when he saw Jin in this condition.

So he gently pried Jin’s hands away from his face which was now red from so much rubbing.

Jin blinked at him with those large doe-eyes, and Yoongi’s heart skipped a beat.

“ Listen to me, Kim Seokjin. You are not pathetic. And yesterday you had every right to tell me that, since I had no right to act that way. And I am glad that I took care of you and that I got there, because I wouldn’t want anyone else being with you when you were so vulnerable and in that state. So, stop beating yourself up over it, got it?”

His voice might have come out as some sort of a threat, since he sounded way too serious, but he just wanted to try and show Jin that he really meant it when he said that he had nothing to be sorry about.

It seemed to have worked, because after Jin had blinked a few times at him in confusion, he leaned in, pressing his forehead to Yoongi’s.

Yoongi widened his eyes at the unexpected action and sudden closeness, especially when Jin intertwined their fingers.

“ Thank you, Yoongi. For everything.”

The way Jin stared at him with such warmth in his eyes, his voice so earnest when he said that and squeezed his hand, made Yoongi’s mind and heartbeat a total mess.

All he could do was stutter out “ N-no problem.” while trying hard not to get lost in his roommate’s eyes.

Luckily, Jin smiled at him and pulled away, letting go of his hand, and providing some of his sanity to get back as he exclaimed, “ I will eat this deliciously!” before he started stuffing his mouth with hangover soup.

Yoongi just watched him eat like always, almost choking on food a few times ( so nothing new) and he didn’t even realize that there was a wide smile on his face at that time.

He was just happy that Jin was alright and returning to his normal self.

(︺︹︺)

After Yoongi had cleaned the dishes and made sure Jin had enough water to drink to stay properly hydrated, he finally settled next to the elder on the sofa.

“ How do you manage to do this every morning? Preparing breakfast and then later on even cleaning up? I did it once and I feel like I am dying.” Yoongi complained while closing his eyes and throwing his head back.

“ Technically, you didn’t even prepare this dish—you bought it. So shut your yap.” Jin responded in a snarky voice and Yoongi immediately opened his eyes, placing a hand on his chest in mock-offence and saying, “ And this is the thanks I get? Wow, unbelievable.”

He felt himself grinning the moment Jin started laughing at his antics.

But, it didn’t last long, because once Jin had stopped laughing, he looked at him with a hesitant expression which made Yoongi feel uneasy.

“ We need to talk.”

Ah, the worst phrase ever, Yoongi thought, the feeling of uneasiness increasing when Jin said that with a serious expression.

“ Okay.” Yoongi said, waiting for Jin to continue.

His roommate finally pulled down the blanket from his head, revealing his messy pink locks which were sticking out in every direction.

Yoongi thought how unfair it was that the elder looked even more adorable like that than when he was a blanket burrito.

“ I want to clear some things up about what happened yesterday.” Jin said with a determined expression and Yoongi swallowed hard, nodding.

He hadn’t asked anything about the events from yesterday, although he kept wondering what exactly had happened between Jin and that bastard who spiked his drink.

He knew that Jungkook and Jimin arrived just in time, before the could do anything to Jin, but he did worry about what occurred between them up until that point.

However, he did not want to pressure Jin into remembering those unpleasant moments, not after everything he had gone through.

But, since Jin seemed to want to talk about it, he was ready to listen, even though his heart was thrumming loudly in his chest with the anxiety slowly creeping up and rising from the bottom of his stomach.

Jin took a deep breath and let out a long sigh, before starting to recall the events from the previous night.

“The thing is that I was really mad after how you acted yesterday. I actually lost my cool so much that I couldn’t even properly hang out with Jungkook and Jimin.”

Yoongi slightly flinched at the mention of Jimin’s name, but luckily Jin didn’t notice it as he continued.

“ It was stupid of me, but I told them to have fun and just went to the bar to get a drink. As I sat there I kept thinking about everything that had happened between us lately and our fight yesterday was the last straw.”

Yoongi lowered his gaze, feeling guilty for making Jin feel that way, but before he could ponder on it any further, Jin ran a hand through his hair, messing his already tangled locks.

“ Aish, I should have known better. The bartender noticed that I was not in a good state and he kept asking me all sorts of questions and I was such an idiot to fall for that. You know how sometimes in movies you see people telling all their worries to the bartender, who listens to them attentively? Well, I was so stupid to think that this bartender actually wanted to listen to my worries, because he cared and not because he had some ulterior motive.”

Yoongi started clenching his fist, thinking how that slimy bastard saw how naïve and vulnerable Jin was at that moment and decided to take advantage of him.

But, most of all, Yoongi was pissed at himself for being the reason for the elder to feel that miserable that he would actually let his guard down in front of a complete stranger.

“ Before I knew it, I had already told him half of the things that have happened between us and I didn’t even notice that my glass was never empty. He had been constantly refilling it and I just kept drinking like an idiot that I am. Suddenly, my pulse quickened and I got slightly naseuous. I told him that I had to go to the bathroom and he offered to help me. Even though I declined when I got up I felt as if I was going to faint and for a moment everything went dark. The next thing that I remember is Jungkook hitting him and then Jimin took me out. And afterwards you showed up and you know the rest…Although I know that you don’t care, I still wanted to tell you that I never intended to have something with that guy. I am not like that.”

Yoongi stared at Jin who refused to look at him after that.

Instead, he played nervously with his fingers in his lap and Yoongi realized that no matter how much he dreaded this moment, he had to tell Jin.

It was about time.

“ I know that you are not like that. Also, I do care. A lot.” , Yoongi said seriously, making Jin look up at him with a surprised expression.

“ Argh, this is all my fault!” Yoongi let out a frustrated groan, causing Jin to startle.

“ No, it’s not. I am an adult and I should have known better than to trust some stranger.” Jin said in a dejected voice.

Yoongi clicked his tongue in annoyance and said, “ No, I had no right to forbid you to go out. But, I had a reason for it. I should have told you before, but I couldn’t. I didn’t want you to pity me or something like that.”

Jin was looking at him with knitted eyebrows and a concerned expression.

“ What are you talking about?”

Yoongi met his gaze and he knew that this was it.

There was no way out.

So he sighed exasperatedly and said, “ I should have told you before that Jimin…He is my ex-boyfriend.”

It was obvious what kind of shock that was for Jin, because he kept gaping at Yoongi after that statement with no sound coming out of the elder’s mouth.

So, Yoongi took that as his chance and proceeded to explain everything to Jin, from the day he and Jimin met to the day he caught Jimin cheating on him.

“ Anyways, I didn’t want to tell you about it, because no matter how much I told everyone that I was fine and that I was over Jimin, I guess that wasn’t the complete truth. Because, when he showed up here at our door and I saw him for the first time after our breakup, all those feelings of betrayal and anger hit me full force. And, because of my reckless behavior, this happened to you. So, I am the one who should be apologizing.”

When Yoongi had finally told the truth, he felt immensely relieved.

Nevertheless, he was also afraid of Jin’s reaction, especially since the elder hadn’t said a word during all this time and for the first time since they started living together, Jin had an unreadable expression on his face.

That caused Yoongi’s anxiety to rise all the way to his chest, slowly suffocating him.

He was sure that he was going to go crazy with Jin still being silent and looking at him like that.

He was even more surprised when Jin got up without a word and Yoongi quickly jumped to his feet, standing in front of the elder and saying, “ Jin, I…”

“ You are such an IDIOT, MIN YOONGI!” Jin finally yelled angrily and hit him in the arm, hard.

“ Ow.” Yoongi yelped as he rubbed the sore spot on his forearm.

“ I guess I deserve that, although I never pegged you for the violent type.”

His attempt at making the atmosphere less tense backfired, because Jin started hitting him on his chest, although it was obvious that he had no intention to hurt him really.

“ You jerk! You dork! How could you let me go out with your cheating ex-boyfriend who broke your heart without telling me?! Are you a masochist? Do you like to cause yourself to feel ty? Do I mean nothing to you that you would actually let me get chummy with your ex? What the hell, Min Yoongi!”

Jin kept slapping his chest, his face flushed from anger, but his voice which broke gave away just how hurt he was.

Finally, Yoongi caught him by the wrists and made him properly look at him.

“ Jin, I am so sorry. I am the biggest ever. I didn’t want to hurt you, trust me. That was the last thing on my mind. I was so selfish, thinking only of my own feelings. Please, will you be able to trust me again?” Yoongi had a pleading look in his eyes as he said that, never letting go of the elder.

Jin stared at him, his eyes still slightly teary as he let out a tired sigh, “ I don’t know, Yoongi. I need some time alone and obviously you do too. I am going to go to a friend’s apartment for a while. I need to think about everything.”

Yoongi felt as if somebody had knocked the air out of his lungs at that moment.

He ed up so bad, all because he was trying to protect himself from getting hurt again that he didn’t even realize that he hurt the person, who had been nothing but amazing and tolerant of him and his short temper and laziness ever since the day they met.

And now, because of his stupidity, he was at the risk of losing his roommate, his friend, his…

His something.

Something more.

Much more than a simple friend.

But, he had already caused Jin enough pain.

He had to respect his wishes.

So, he reluctantly let go of the elder, and stepped back.

“ I understand. Do what you need to do and I will also reflect on my actions.” Yoongi said in a solemn voice.

“ I will leave the apartment so that you can get ready in peace.” Yoongi said as he grabbed his wallet and apartment keys, before heading towards the door.

However, he stopped for a moment and turned around only to see Jin staring at him with a look in his eyes that showed he was struggling at that moment with his feelings.

Yoongi didn’t want to make it any more difficult for the elder, but he couldn’t let him leave without saying what was on his mind for a long time now, “ Just so you know, regardless of everything that had happened between us so far-you are important to me. Very important. From being my roommate, to becoming a close friend and then something even more than that-I never once regretted us becoming roommates. If I could go back in time, I would do it all over, but this time-I would have taken your feelings into consideration as well. I am sorry for being so selfish.”

And just like that, Yoongi left the apartment without even sticking around to see Jin’s reaction.

His throat was already constricted and he could feel his eyes prickling.

He rubbed his eyes violently, trying to calm down, even though he felt as if he had lost an essential part of him once again.

No matter how much he tried to protect himself from having his heart broken, he failed.

But, this was even worse, because this time he managed to hurt the feelings of a person he cared about a lot.

(︺︹︺)

As expected, when he returned to the apartment that night, Jin was nowhere to be seen.

Yoongi had entered his bedroom and noticed how it was half-empty.

However, the Super Mario figurines were still there on the shelves and that sparked hope inside of Yoongi how Jin was definitely going to come back one day.

He had to convince himself of that in the next few days that followed, otherwise he would have gone completely insane.

He hated how lonely the apartment had become without Jin in it.

He usually loved the silence, but now he found it unsettling.

He produced his best music when it was quiet in the apartment, but when he still knew that Jin was present just by hearing his soft humming coming from the kitchen or the shuffling of feet in the living room.

He despised how everything got darker ever since Jin left.

Whenever he woke up and got in the living room, only to be welcomed by an empty dining table without being greeted by that warm smile of the pink-haired male which instantly made any grim day just a bit brighter, he realized how bleak the apartment had become.

He did tell Jin to take his time and think things through, but soon enough realization hit him.

Even if Jin decided to forgive him and come back to the apartment, then what?

Yoongi still had unfinished business and he couldn’t allow himself to continue living like this.

So, that was why he was now standing in front of the familiar door and in front of the room that held so many memories for him.

As soon as he knocked on the door, that high-pitched sweet voice yelling “Coming!” which used to cause flutters in his chest,  made him feel indifferent now.

When the shorter male opened the door, however, he felt the stirring in his stomach.

“ Yoongi?!” the male squeaked in surprise.

“ We need to talk, Jimin.” Yoongi stated seriously.

The boy nodded quickly with a dumbfounded expression as he stepped aside for Yoongi to enter the room where it had all started.

He had no idea what was about to happen, but he owed it to Jin and to himself to settle things once and for all.