Chapter 1 - Never Ever

Fool's Gold

Warning: mild description of a panic attack in this chapter. Please don't read or just skip over the end if you're uncomfortable or it's triggering to you.


"Yugyeommie!!!!"

Yugyeom could hear the faint call.

"What?!" He yelled, exasperated. He was trying to sleep, goddammit.

Feet drummed along the hallway, and then the door slammed open, revealing Youngjae behind it.

Yugyeom sighed. “Yes?”

Youngjae pouted at him. “Your boyfriend is cheating!”

Yugyeom glared at him half-heartedly. “He’s not my boyfriend, hyung."

Youngjae scoffed at him. “Surrrre. Now can you come?” 

Yugyeom shot the brat an exasperated look and stood up from his comfortable bed. “Why me?”

Youngjae laughed at the poor maknae. “Because I wanted you and you’re the only other awake in the dorm.”

Yugyeom brushed past him, the tingling in the back of his mind blazing and then fading a little from the second of contact he had had with Youngjae, the tingle coming from a ring that Yugyeom was sure JB had given Youngjae.

Yugyeom didn't flinch like he would have when he was younger. He was used to the itch by now and it hardly distracted him anymore.

Things at the moment weren't going too well for Yugyeom. With a comeback looming and their manager pushing them harder than before, all the boys were tired and ready to snap at the slightest mistake.

Then there was the personal stuff.

He wasn't quite sure how it had happened, but sure enough, Yugyeom had developed a crush on his best friend.

Which left him buried under denial and struggling with his uality as well because he would have sworn he was straight before. 

It was all too much for him and he wasn't sure if he could stay strong for much longer.

But what he didn't know was that he would snap, and sooner than he hoped.

(He had always thought he would never snap because he was stronger than that, right?)

He would need a lot of help to get through the next months and he would get it.

Soon.


The past few days had been stressful for them all.

Jaebum had exploded more than once already, and Jinyoung was always the one forced to calm him down.

Yugyeom knew the others weren't far behind.

“Yugyeom! Stop daydreaming and listen to hyung!” Jackson snapped, glaring at Yugyeom before turning back to Jaebum who was talking about something.

He tried to pay attention, he really did.

But his thoughts began to drift.

The itching, which had been present throughout his entire life, had never been as irritating as the last few weeks.

Yugyeom had been able to ignore it for five years.

But it was becoming more persistent, and Yugyeom didn't know what to do.


The sharp clap of shoes sounded in the otherwise silent lobby.

The receptionist looked up at the approaching man. “Hello, how can I-”

“I'm here to see my son,” the gravelly voice said, cutting her off.

The receptionist nodded. “He’s in practice room 34.”

The man nodded to her in thanks, then swept out into the hallway, a smirk present on his face.

After a few minutes of walking, he stopped in front of room 34, opened the door without knocking, and closed it again.

Seven heads whipped around at the snick of the door, and one stumbled at the sight of the person he had hoped to never see again.

No. It can't be. I'm dreaming. He can't be here. No. Please, oh God please, no.

Yet he knew this was reality without even checking.

The man spread his arms out in a welcoming gesture. “Son.”

Yugyeom stared at him.

“Dad.”

The word slipped out, light as a feather yet carrying the weight of years of agony, misery, and despair behind it. It floated around the room as if taunting them, foretelling what was to come.

Yugyeom stumbled again as terror overtook him, knees buckling until he fell onto the floor, shaking his head in denial.

The other boys watched in silence, worried. 

Mr. Kim stepped forward. “I have come to take you back.”

Yugyeom shook his head, scooting back a few inches. “No you haven't.”

“Oh I do believe I am.”, the man who Yugyeom refused to call his father grinned at him. “You have something I would like to take back.”

“It was never yours!”, Yugyeom whispered, “I won't let you use me again!”

Mr. Kim stepped forward again. “Who's stopping me?”

Yugyeom gaped at him. “The agency! My friends! The fans!”

Mr. Kim tutted at him. “Well, you don't have to be here all the time. You can work for me and this company at the same time.”

“No! IT DOESN’T WORK ANYMORE!”

Everyone stepped back at his scream. Mr. Kim’s pleasant expression melted away and an angry scowl took over. “I know you're lying. I will give you time to think it over, but I know you will accept eventually, or something,” he paused and grinned again, “bad will happen to your friends.”

He winked, and then swept out if the room without another word.

The others ran over to Yugyeom, who was still on the floor.

“What happened?”

“Was that really your dad?”

“Why was he here?"

Yugyeom had to cover his ears and wait until they finished because there was too much noise and they were all crowding him and his heart was racing faster and faster like it was trying to jump out of his chest and his breath was getting quicker while flashes of his childhood grew in front of him, reminding him of the pain and suffering, the memories he had long suppressed, and the heavy sensation like an elephant sitting on his chest grew and what was happening…

“Yugyeom! Calm down. What's happening to him,” Bambam asked no one in particular, repeating Yugyeom’s thoughts.

His face swam into view, clouded with worry.

“He’s having a panic attack.”

The room went silent at Jinyoung’s words, save for Yugyeom's labored breathing.

Yugyeom was just able to make out JB’s next words as the black covered him like a blanket.

“But what was it that he wanted?”


A/N:

Hello~~

And here's the first chapter! 

I hope everything has been clear so far ^^

These first three parts are actually something I had written in a notebook (at school, I'm obviously a really good student XD) so it's just been typing it up so far ^^

Which means Fluffy_Kittiez will come in soon~!!

My thumbs are sore... so bye for now! X3

-WingedWarrior