Chapter 26

Strings of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: So today's update is about 4x longer then usual (since I usually write only about 1000 words) so enjoy! (Also if you like the length I can try to make all my updates this long from now on? Let me know what you think!)

  It took them three days to set a date for the funeral. It took only a week after that to set up and have the funeral. A lot of people showed up and expressed their empathy for the family but most of it went over their head. Everyone who was close to Jimin’s grandma was grieving in their own way. Jimin’s mom held herself together the best as she prepared everything in regards to the funeral with little help from anyone else. Jimin’s dad spent most of his time taking care of Jimin’s grandfather or helping his wife. Jimin’s grandfather hadn't spoken since the news of grandma passing away, instead, he just sat silently and watched his surroundings with disinterest no matter where he was. Jihyun had spent most of his time away from everyone, keeping to himself, and not talking unless spoken too. As for Jimin, he didn’t know how to deal with the loss. He didn’t know how to help his family deal with it either. The loss of his grandma had taken a toll on their family and it would take a while to heal from it. Every one of them had been hoping that she’d make it but she hadn’t. It was too sudden for any of them and so they were all in pain from the event.

The day after the funeral, his parents had made a couple of big decisions, ones that impacted every one of them. Since Jimin’s dad needed to get back to work soon, it was decided that Jimin’s grandpa couldn’t be left alone since the elder was unresponsive to anything and everyone, he would need someone to take care of him and make sure that he at least ate, bathed, and got out of the house once in a while. Mrs. Park had diagnosed him with severe depression and in the very early stages of the grieving cycle and for these reasons, she reasoned that it was not safe to let him be alone for too long. As such, Jimin’s parents decided to take his grandpa with them back to Seoul.

With that decision came another big decision. What would they do about the house there in Busan? By the looks of things, their grandpa’s stay with them would be a while, and they thought that even when he got better he shouldn’t go back. They didn’t think that he should live alone so far away from them, they would worry too much since no one would be around to help him and take care of him the way their grandma had. Jimin’s grandparents had always taken care of each other and now that his grandma was gone, his parents wouldn’t ever feel right to leave his grandpa on his own for so long.

It was taking everything into consideration, that they decided to hire someone to look after the house while they were all away. Though Mr. Park thought it might be a good idea to sell the house or rent it out, Mrs. Park felt they shouldn’t make that decision without some input from Jimin’s grandpa, as such the two adults had decided to just have someone come in every week to maintain the house and keep it dust free so that they could decide what to do later on when the pain from losing someone wasn’t so new and raw.

* * * *


“How are you feeling, Jimin?” Taehyung asked as the two lazed around in the elder’s room. It had been approximately three whole weeks now since the news of Jimin’s grandmother’s death, and Jimin was better. It still hurt to remember she was gone but it was better than before, at least now he wasn’t tempted to cry everytime his thoughts wandered in that direction.

“I’m fine Tae, you don’t need to worry about me,” Jimin answered with a weak smile.

“...Talk to me Jimin, you’ve been so quiet since all this happened… I’m worried,” Taehyung urged.

“Don’t worry about me, I told you, it’s ok… I’m good,” Jimin responded.

“No, you’re not. Jimin, you and your grandma were close, there’s no way you’re just 'ok.' It doesn’t matter that three weeks have passed; you’re still affected by it. You and your whole family. I’ve seen the way Jihyun had built a little wall around himself initially but I also saw that Suho was able to get him to talk so he’s getting better. Your parents, I assume, have each other to talk too and take comfort in, and they take care of your grandpa and keep talking with him so I’m sure he’ll get better too, but you? You haven’t talked about it with anyone as far as I know and that can’t be good. Come on Jiminie, tell me what you’re feeling,” Taehyung pleaded.

Jimin looked down at his hands which were holding onto the PS4 remote. His eyes watered a little but he didn’t want to cry. Three weeks of crying (even if it was alone) should be enough, or so he felt. He felt compelled to push himself past this thing, he didn’t want to burden anyone with his tears and talks of pain, surely that wouldn’t be present for anyone. But… Taehyung was asking him to talk, the younger was willing to listen. Taehyung had been actively seeking out ways to try and help Jimin feel better all week and while Jimin appreciated it, he also didn’t think he should burden Taehyung with more talk about how he was feeling.

“I’m getting better Tae. It still hurts to think about her but I know I will be able to with time, so just give me time ok?” Jimin finally said.

Taehyung frowned slightly but then nodded. “Alright. If that’s what you want… But like always, I’m here for you,” Taehyung reminded.

“I know… Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it… Anyway since you don’t want to talk right now, how about we change the topic? I was kind of curious about something…”

“What?”

“Those strings you see… I remember you explaining that one of them was dark blue and how you thought it meant platonic soulmate, but you didn’t really have a chance to explain the other colors you said you saw?”

“Oh… Which one do you want to know about?” Jimin asked.

“Hmm, I remember you mentioning the colors pink and purple? Is there more than that?”

“Yea. There’s also red, green, yellow, and lately, I saw two new colors: orange, and white.”

“That’s a lot,” Taehyung murmured with wide eyes, “So what do each of those mean? Start with yellow.”

“Yellow strings usually attach from the wrist and represents respect, but not just like typical respect one shows to their elders or something like that, it’s more like a deep, loyalty-like respect. I mostly see this color on teachers and caregivers. Like Mr. Yung, he’s got a bunch of them connecting him to his students, the ones who kind of troubled lives which he pays special attention to and helps in any way he can. Also, my mom has a few from her patients, the ones she sees often,” Jimin explained in detail.

“That’s so cool. Do I have any?” Taehyung asked while lifting his left wrist to inspect it as if he’d magically see a yellow string there.

“No, you actually don’t,” Jimin said with a slight chuckle. “But don’t worry, I don’t have one either and it doesn’t mean you don’t respect anyone, it just means you don’t have a really deep respect for them, or maybe you just have a completely different and more prominent relationship with them cause I’m sure you can respect someone but be more like a platonic soulmate like we are.”

“Hmm. Ok, makes sense… still, I think it would be cool to have had a yellow string… Anyway, what about green?”

“Green is really rare. I’ve only ever seen it on two people and it’s always connected to the person’s forehead. I actually don’t know what it means though… I think it’s related to intelligence though.”

“Who were the two people?”

“One of them is actually Namjoon.”

“Namjoon?!”

“Yea. He’s had it since I met him but I don’t know who it’s connected to or anything,” Jimin replied.

“Ah, I see… Well, hyung is like super smart so who knows what it could be? Hmm… Well, whatever we can figure it out eventually. So what about red?”

“Ah now that’s one I love talking about,” Jimin said with a smile. “It connects people’s hearts and comes in two varieties. Dark red which represents the love between a parent and child. Oh, also pink means love between siblings! And the other red is a bright red, or maybe it’s better to say a normal, vibrant red? Either way, that red means love for a significant other.”

“Significant other? So like… Only married people have them?” Taehyung questioned with furrowed eyebrows.

Jimin shook his head, “No, remember I said strings connect one person to another as soon as those two people meet? So unless you’re not going to be having some deep long lasting relationship with said person, a string should form the moment the two people meet.”

“Wait.. so you’re saying… That like even we have bright red strings?”

“Well I don’t... but you do,” Jimin admitted, grinning as he saw Taehyung’s priceless expression which was one of shock.

“I-I have one?!” Taehyung shrieked.

“Two actually,” Jimin replied trying to act nonchalant.

“Two?!”

“Yep.”

“Oh my god… Two bright red strings? That’s just- wow… Wait… Who are they connected to?!” Taehyung suddenly demanded to know as he looked at Jimin with big pleading eyes as if he was dying to know.

Jimin giggled before answering, “Yoongi and Hoseok.”

“Y-Yoongi? And Hoseok? No way… no freaking way!”

“Why not? You don’t like them?”

“No! Wait I mean yes! But like… No?... It’s just a crush! A-and like I w-wasn’t even sure of that cause isn’t it w-wro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter