Chapter 7 : How To Make It Work

We're Together as Job
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 7 How To Make it Work

 

Making a relationship work isn’t actually a problem for the most who are genuinely in love, apart from if this certain relationship is a mere play of two people who don’t have affection for each other… at least at the very moment. To make this little game of theirs work, sure thing that tons of efforts are needed, even involving real emotions and feelings at some point. And this can be unexpectedly dangerous once this sheer drama being performed tickles a heart that has been searching for affection, genuine love.

 

“As everyone knows, the university’s foundation day is a few months ahead of us and the administrator in collaboration with the student council already announced it through the bulletin board. In order to prepare for this, as Theater Arts students of this prestigious university, our class needs to come up with a perfect performance. VIPs, top politicians and some high-ranked personalities will be invited in this special event. Henceforth, we need to brainstorm some ideas and suggestions. So for this whole month, we’ll be discussing some of our plans fifteen minutes before our class ends. That’s all for today, you’re all dismissed.”

 

That was the lengthy reminder from one of Lisa’s major classes’ professor for the day. Hearing this in some way healed her bleeding thoughts from all the stresses she’s been carrying since she officially became Jennie’s lover… well in everyone’s eyes only. She has gone so enthusiastic by just hearing the word ‘performance’ so she never had a second of hesitation on working with it and soon went straight to the library for ideas and plans she can research for.

 

“You’re way too excited about your performance, huh?” Bam commented after seeing his best friend gaining a lot of books from the shelves while facing the computer she rented with a wide stretch on her lips.

 

“Yeah, of course I am. I’ve been waiting to actually perform in front of a huge crowd. I can’t let this slide and I need to be a part of it. You know how much I’m looking forward on dancing or even acting on stage, right?” Lisa said with her focus on the monitor and sometimes shifting on the books beside the keyboard, not minding her grouchy best friend at all.

 

Bam however stayed alongside her as he continues on commenting with a sigh, “Yesterday, you looked so beat up that I couldn’t even draw your face but now you look so lit. You sure are weird. I don’t even know why we’re best friends in the first place.”

 

Lisa halted from jotting down some notes after that mention as yesterday’s happenings flashed through her hyped brain. Ever since she and Jennie were heavily criticized by her friends at the cafeteria, she hasn’t done a thing yet on how to remediate it, particularly on how a relationship works and how to avoid blowing up their cover. She has been overhearing some students doubting at their relationship too, making it worse. Rumors like they are not legit, faking it and hearsays that she’s being toyed with, those are all the varieties she’s been overhearing since then.

 

“Now I can’t focus… again.” Lisa thought. “Jennie’s going to kill me for sure if she heard the same gossips. We’re just starting and yet these rumors are already flying around.”

 

Lisa spaced out for a minute until she thought of something that might help her useless and hopeless self with relationships. But before carrying out her thoughts in action, she first made sure that her best friend’s eyes are not on hers but on his phone tapping on it.   

 

“How relationship works; How to make relationship lasts.” Lisa mumbled as she keyed in to the search box, searching for the phrase on the internet in hopes to find helpful results.

 

To her surprise, she was bombarded with thousands of results. Pretending that she’s busy with her assignments and gathering information with ideas, she covered her monitor using the books and leaned closer to the screen in caution. Upon clicking on a particular link, the first result to be exact, wherein there’s a list with descriptions indicated about relationships, she grew more interests and started reading one by one using her big attentive eyes.

 

“Morning messages are necessary to let your girlfriend know that you’re already thinking of her first second you wake up. Good night messages are also important to let her know that she can also go sleep without worries.” The first one on the list stated.

 

“Hey, that’s kind of obsessed. At least fix your bed first before texting and what if I’m dead tired at night and fell asleep before even sending her a good night message?” Lisa remarked as she disagreed.

 

“Spending your meals together is a must, especially on free days or weekends. Eating good food with the best company, specifically your girlfriend will make you closer and you’ll be able to know more than what you wished for. With this, your bond will get stronger and you’ll accept each other.” The second one stated.

 

“I guess this will be hard too. We don’t have the same class schedules and we agreed on not minding each other’s business outside this campus. How are we supposed to have a meal by ourselves too, if she got her friends with her all the time as well?” Lisa grumbled at the list as she disagreed once again.

 

Moving on to the third one on the list, “Dates. Taking your girlfriend out for a date will definitely work everything out. It doesn’t have to be every day and it doesn’t have to be necessarily the entire day too. Same goes with giving presents. It doesn’t have to be so extravagant. You’re not required to do such thing. As long as you’ve conveyed your feelings properly through words or simple yet lovely actions, even just for an hour of walking then that should strengthen your relationship. Your girlfriend might request you to stay longer with her though and if that happens, just go along with it.”

 

“I think we’re not going to this extent though. I can’t imagine taking Jennie, the richest girl in the campus, out on a date at some cheap shopping malls and letting her eat on a noisy diner at the district. I’ll just skip this one.” Lisa for the third time opposed the list.

 

But the fourth one definitely got her big eyes this time as the first word already shook her heart. The list states, “Kiss. Giving your girlfriend a kiss before you part ways is one of the most important things. It may sound uncomfortable to some who are not used to displaying their affection in public but this is one way of saying that you’re proud of her and letting the people know you own her. Giving a kiss on the forehead or on cheeks is good. But do take note that a kiss on the lips indicates that you’re already deeply in love with that person.”

 

Reading the whole text gave Lisa some wild thoughts in her burning active brain cells. Not only that she’s blushing frantically at the thought of giving Jennie a kiss on her lips for show, but she also got so sweaty that her face is starting to get drenched from those sweat beads dripping down from her forehead to her chin.    

 

“Dammit! Why am I reading this damn article in the first place?” Lisa fortuitously screamed in her seat and raised her voice so loud in this library engulfed in silence.

 

The people around heard her complaining clear and this caused some more gossips and low giggles from the amused students, even the librarian got stunned after that sudden shout. Lisa can only hide her face using the thick books and closed the tabs of the internet browser in shame while she ignore those chatters and murmurs going on around her.

 

“What the hell is wrong with you? You suddenly go shouting about kissing someone.” Bam interrogated.

 

“It’s… a-a-about the… stage play! Y-y-you know, a k-kissing scene or something like that w-would be g-good right?” Lisa excused faltering with an uneven soft laughs.

 

“Well, you’re right but don’t shout and get thrilled just because of that. You’re disturbing others.” Bam said as Lisa’s excuses passed.

 

Lisa breathed in ease and thought with her endless curses, “We’re not even in a real relationship to begin with. I shouldn’t have searched for this. Now it’s making me more nervous and awkward. Damn, now my mind is totally on it again. I haven’t even prepared anything for this coming Sunday too. What should I do? I’m so doomed! Screw this life!”

 

She thought everything would be easy as long as they already got the label but now that she’s on it, everything seems to be so difficult. The relationship that she thought would be a piece of cake is now giving her a heavy load on her shoulders. Just like a stage play that she has to perform flawlessly, she has to be good and passed this pretentious relationship.

 

All the same, it’s not only Lisa who’s troubled these days since their deal have been made. The people involved are as troubled as them too, only that they are better at not physically exposing their worries and perhaps more mature to handle this circumstance. One of these people is Jennie’s affected best friend who’s on her way to meet Ji-yong directly at his office, using her entire break just to have a personal talk with him.

 

“Sir, you have a guest. It’s Kim Jisoo. She doesn’t have any appointment with you today but should I let her in?” Ji-yong’s secretary informed the busy businessman in his office table while he signs bundles of papers.

 

“Jisoo? What brings her here? Well anyway, call her in. It might be important.” Ji-yong though tangled, he ordered.

 

Jisoo didn’t waste a second as she hastily marched inside Ji-yong’s wide yet packed with workloads office. She was welcomed in his reception area as he sat in there, waiting for Jisoo’s intentions for the day which were immediately delivered while she stands across him, “I came here to talk about the deal you made for Jennie and Lisa.”

 

“I knew it. I already had a doubt that you’ll bring that up when I heard you personally came here to see me instead of just calling me.” Ji-yong smirked. “So, what about the deal I made for them? You sound like you got some concerns and complain. That stern look on your face is saying it all.”

 

“I do have a lot and I won’t deny that. I got a lot of concerns that I cannot even count anymore.” Jisoo firmly stood. “There are obviously a lot of spots and holes in your plans. It’s not like I’m downgrading Lisa but comparing to Jennie’s lifestyle, they noticeably don’t match and that itself is already bothering me. Of all people oppa, why did you choose Lisa and come up with this plan? I don’t get it in all honesty. Would she even pass her father’s judgments?”

 

Ji-yong crossed his legs as he looks up to Jisoo and calmly asks, “Then, what kind of woman should I’ve chosen if it’s not Lisa.”

 

Jisoo paused as she was taken aback with such a direct question but later answered, “You could have chosen someone who’s at the same level as her to pass her father’s standards, someone who knows her well so that so much adjustments from both parties won’t be needed, someone who can go along with Jennie’s moods and attitudes and someone whom she’s comfortable with. If you’ve found someone like that then Jennie wouldn’t be so bothered and troubled by now. She cannot even act properly around Lisa whom she kind of hates to begin with.”

 

“Those traits and qualifications you just mentioned, aren’t you describing yourself Jisoo?” Ji-yong bluntly tested with that smirk he’s still wearing on his lips.

 

“W-well, t-that’s…” Jisoo couldn’t respond as she was stunned with a direct hit.

 

“Anyway, I’ll tell you and answer your concerns since you’re Jennie’s best friend and you have the right to know.” Ji-yong said and started, “Originally, you were my last choice. I’ve gathered some profiles of other women but none of them succeeded. So you were my last choice. Remember when I called you that night when they were locked up on that storage room? I was supposed to ask you to take the deal as Jennie’s lover.”

 

“So that’s the reason why you called…” Jisoo recalled as her emotions are starting to build up in her fists that are clenching tight.

 

“Yes, but you mentioned this girl Lalisa Manoban who was able to stand up and defy my rebellious sister. To add, I’ve also seen with my own eyes on how she handles my sister. I just know she has this ability to change my sister; to bring back the old Jennie we all once knew. I don’t know but I my guts are telling her that she can. Admit it or not, even you as her best friend cannot return Jennie to her old self and you can only support her to whoever she is right now. Those are the reasons why I chose Lisa over you in the end. This deal is not only about showing it off to our father but something more than that and it’s to bring the old Jennie who’s sleeping inside that cold front. I hope you understand it Jisoo. Those two need each other.” Ji-yong furthermore expounded to satisfy Jisoo’s queries.

 

“Still….” Jisoo frowned as she still cannot find the right answer to all her rumbled emotions.

 

“Don’t you want the old Jennie back? The caring, lovable and always cheerful Jennie towards everyone around her, don’t you want it back? Even I am dying to see that Jennie again. I want my sister back, the real Jennie back and I believe Lisa can do that.” Ji-yong said as he stood up to pat Jisoo by her shoulders.

 

“I do. Of course I do.” Jisoo lowered.

 

“Then trust me on this, trust Jennie on this. I’m sure Lisa will be a big help for your best friend too.”

 

 “You sound like you trust Lisa too much oppa. How much did you tell her about Jennie for this deal?”

 

“Pretty much, like that Jennie is an adopted daughter and also about her high school life before she became rebellious.”

 

Jisoo’s eyes went wide and she nervously confronts, “That much? You sure told her a lot of things but did you also tell her about that ex-girlfriend?”

 

“Of course not. I think Lisa doesn’t have to know about that anymore. She’s seen her face in the photo I showed her and asked about her but I dodged it. Informing Lisa about Jennie’s ex-girlfriend is deemed unnecessary in this deal. It’s out of the line since they are only in a relationship for show.” Ji-yong said and Jisoo was able to relax somehow.

 

“I see. That’s good to hear.” Jisoo exhaled in relief.

 

“To be honest, I do have one great concern with this deal but I somewhat overlooked it the first time but now it’s quite bothering me.” Ji-yong opened up and Jisoo has gone on alert again.

 

“What is it oppa?”

 

“What if they genuinely fall in love with each other?  I mean, that wouldn’t be a problem for me and maybe I’d be rather happy but I’m worried for my sister if that happens.”

 

“W-wait, what?” Jisoo yelped and finally let out that tight clenched fist as she smashed it on the glass table in front of her. “That’s nonsense oppa! There’s no way that Jennie will fall in love for real with Lisa!”

 

“You’re reacting like that because you just realized that it’s possible, am I right? Also, it seems like your feedback with that possibility isn’t that good, eh?” Ji-yong pointed out and Jisoo completely lost her reasoning as she just stood like a post, guilty of charge. “Anyway, it’s just my wild imaginations. Please disregard what I just blabbered. Sorry, I shouldn’t have brought it up.”

 

“Sir, your meeting will start in fifteen minutes. We have to be at the hall now for the preparations.” His secretary knocked, breaking the heating up conversation going on inside the office.

 

“It’s okay oppa.” Jisoo said but looked straight down the floor in defeat. “You should go and attend your meeting now and I should get going too. My break is almost over. Thank you for your time. I’ll make sure to help Jennie and Lisa with this deal.”

 

“I’ll leave Jennie in your care, Jisoo.” Ji-yong asked as he grabbed his coat, ready to leave. He held on the doorknob and then he lastly tells Jisoo without looking back at her, “And before I forget, let me warn you that you’re too easy to read for me. I don’t want to jump into conclusions when it comes to you and with your friendship with my sister but this time, somehow, I was able to read through your mind. Just make sure Jennie won’t see through you if you don’t want your friendship to shatter.” Then he left the astounded Jisoo in her stand, alone in his office.

 

In the afternoon, Jennie who is overly bored in her class right now has her attention fixated outside through the windows and occasionally checking out the time in her wrist watch. While other already jotted down a lot of notes, filling up a lot of pages in their notebook and some are just simply tying it on their laptops, there’s Jennie’s notes and laptop closed and not even a ballpoint pen is on her table.

   

“I want to go home.” Jennie sighed as she envies those students walking around the campus having their free time.

 

Until her eyes make its way to the running field and there she farsighted a batch of students wearing their PE uniforms for their class. She knows none of those typical students but she does know this blonde girl getting all active and so aggressive with her long jumps.

 

“Why do I keep on seeing that loser anywhere?” Jennie talked to no one but she found herself softly chuckling when Lisa slipped on the sand as she jumped so high and long.

 

“Watching over your lover, eh?” Her seatmate elbowed her upon noticing where Jennie’s eyes and attention are.

 

Jennie raised an eyebrow and coldly responds, “Can you just mind your own business? So what if I’m watching her?”

 

“I’m just thinking that it’s sweet of you. You know, a lot of students are making gossips that you’re not actually in a relationship with her.” He whispered closely.

 

“Why do they spread rumors like that? I haven’t heard anything about us.” Jennie questioned.

 

“They are saying the two of you don’t have this affection. I think they’ve been watching you whenever you’re together and in my opinion, yes, you don’t have that kind of vibe that you’re in a relationship. People are also saying that you don’t even go home together or never seen you hang out together prior to the announcement of your relationship.” He said straight.

 

“Why the hell are these people so observant? We’re so done if they keep on spreading rumors like those! That loser hasn’t met dad and yet this is happening already.” Jennie grumbled under her breath, cursing into the air as she thinks of any possible way to shut all these pointless hearsays.

 

“But you really are in love with her right? You’re taking that poor woman seriously right? You’re not toying with her like what others say.” Her seatmate went on asking.

 

And this open probe quite put Jennie into a rumble that she broke in sweat. “W-what the hell? W-what do you think? Of course I d-do! And can you quit on asking irrelevant things? We’re in class!” She hardly defended and completely shut down the conversation as she pretentiously shifted her focus onto the professor who’s been discussing nonstop in the front.   

 

Lisa at the same time is also hearing and absorbing those said rumors everywhere about her relationship with Jennie, if it’s legit or not. Even during their class’ warm-up jog around the oval, she can hear some of her classmates murmuring about it, that Jennie will never make time for someone like her and that she’s just being toyed, and so on and so forth.

 

“Hey Lisa, how is it going with your girlfriend?” One of her classmates asks while they are having their final stretch at the side.

 

“How you ask…” Lisa laughed but so clumsy that anyone can notice it’s fake.

 

Now that she thinks of it, nothing happened so far since they announced their false relationship, aside from the lunch they had together with her friends. There’s nothing to say and there’s nothing to inform these people inquiring about their most talked about relationship in the entire campus. With no doubt, Lisa will never be able to answer and please these people.

 

“Don’t tell me she dumped you already?” Another one harassed and all cackled at Lisa’s offended expression.

 

“It’s not like that!” Lisa fought back but when all eyes were glued to her, she instantaneously got lost into their gazes. “It’s just that… we’re uhh…”

 

“What seems to be the problem here? I believe the school bell already rang, why are you still here standing idle in the middle of the field?” Rose came with all smile and coolness in her tone, saving Lisa’s skin from getting grilled with her classmates’ unending curiosities.

 

“Ah, they’re just asking me about Jennie. Don’t bother.” Lisa said, trying to evade the trouble.

 

“Hey Rose, is it really true that Jennie is in a relationship with Lisa? We still cannot believe it. It’s so impossible to happen and moreover, we haven’t seen them hanging out together that much. There’s no way it can happen!” Her classmates insisted and started involving Rose.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter