Chapter 5 : Fated To Be Together

We're Together as Job
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 5 Fated To Be Together

 

Fate as it is similar to destiny, it’s an unwritten one. No one knows about their fates, no one knows what will happen a second ahead of them and no one knows what kind of twist this life can give them. Fate doesn’t care of anyone’s future plans either. It won’t ask what people want to do and whom they want to be with. Dangerous, yes it is, but it won’t make its action if it’s not for the good. Fate knows the best for anyone, even if they don’t know.

 

Just like the weather, it has its own fate. Yesterday may be a bright one but the next day can be a dark one as the heavy fall of rain unexpectedly drenching the town. Every drop can be heard hitting the ground and the earthly smell of the land is refreshing for some while some finds it not as it’s adding to the mild cold of the season.

 

“It’s raining…” Jennie gabbles in her sleep.

 

Her eyes are closed but her body can feel this soft bed she’s lying down at. Later she felt a cold breeze passing through her shoulders, making her shiver a little. And lastly, she sensed a change of scent, way different from the smell of the storage room where she was last night. Totally, everything’s so different that soon she slowly opens her eyes to know what’s going on around her.

 

“Jendeukie!”

 

Jisoo came dashing out of nowhere to give her best friend a tight bear hug and Jennie literally bawled in surprise. Jumbled of what’s happening, she still found herself hugging back her weeping best friend on her shoulders while she’s being pinned in this bed coated in white.

 

As Jennie wonders her curious eyes more, she realized that she’s on a clean suite room with a dextrose attached to her. With her consciousness she finally determined, “Ah, it’s a hospital room.”

 

“Yah! I was so worried about you!” Jisoo let go of the hug and let the disordered Jennie to sit up in her bed. “I should have just searched for you when they said you suddenly ran out of the cafeteria. I feel so useless not doing anything when you’re locked in that dark room.”

 

“Hey, why are you crying then?” Jennie interrupted and gives Jisoo a close gaze probing, “What exactly happened? I mean, yeah, I was locked in the storage room but why am I here now? I can’t remember.”

 

“You idiot! Of course you won’t remember since you’re asleep!” Jisoo lightheartedly spanked her best friend by her weak shoulder as she sits on the bedside. “One of the staffs in the university happened to open that storage room to get something but he found two women unconscious in the dirty floor instead. He said he tried to wake you up but none of you responded so he decided to call for an emergency and rushed you here.” She then explained as she wiped away the tear marks left in her cheeks.

 

“Oh yeah, now I remember.” The timid Jennie nodded.

 

Jisoo this time, it’s her turn to probe as she demands, “I should be the one asking you what happened. What the hell are you doing in that storage room with Lalisa Manoban? How in the world did that happen?”

 

“It’s an accident.” Jennie rolled her eyes upon recalling what happened that day. “I was just trying to throw that damn paper which she uses to blackmail me but she chased me everywhere until we ended up being in that gross storage room.”

 

“You’re so silly.” Jisoo said in disbelief which earned a frown from her best friend. “You could have just ripped it on the spot when you had it in your hands instead of playing chase with her. Look what happened to you!”

 

“Well, I was planning to get my revenge by mocking her but I failed. Sorry.” Jennie sulked for a split second but then she remembers out of the blue, “By the way, how about Lisa-oppa? Where is she?”

 

“Lisa…oppa?” Jisoo raised an eyebrow.

 

Jennie quickly covered and looked away trying to find an abrupt plea. “I s-said L-l-lalisa! A-a-anyway, where is she?” She clumsily evaded and thought to herself, “Why the hell am I still calling her oppa?”

 

Jisoo sighed, “You’re getting weirder since you met that girl but if you’re worried for her then she’s on the next room with Chaeyoungie. I asked her to look after that savior of yours until she wakes up. Hopefully she’ll wake up soon too.”

 

“Savior?” Jennie puffed out. “Don’t call that loser my savior when she’s the one at fault on why we got locked!”

 

“Just be grateful at least for once, okay?” Jisoo said and grabbed Jennie’s hands to demonstrate, “The staff said that when he found you, Lalisa was tightly holding your hand still. I know you’re scared of dark Jennie and the only way to stop it is to have someone hold you to make you feel safe. If she’s not there to hold you then you’re probably a cold dead body now. I’m your best friend so I know everything.”

 

Jennie recollected on how Lisa desperately tried to make a way out of the room and how she urgently attended to her when she needed her the most. She may not have the courage to say it herself because of her pride but definitely, she feels thankful that Lisa didn’t leave her a second during that time.

 

“Okay fine, I’ll thank her later if that’s what you want me to do.” Jennie mildly let out a forced smile at her best friend as a sign of defeat.

 

“That’s my good girl! I’m glad that you know what I want you to do even if I’m not telling it.” Jisoo giggled and played with Jennie’s bed hair to irritate her and as usual it’s successful as Jennie slapped her hands away.

 

“Shut up! Let’s just go and grab some breakfast. I haven’t eaten anything since yesterday that I can’t even move my damn legs now.” Jennie growled and pushed the laughing Jisoo out of her bedside.

 

At the other room, the neighboring room wherein the so called savior is confined, there’s Rose waiting for her to regain consciousness. Unlike Jennie who started slow upon opening her eyes, Lisa has a quick reaction as she instantly jolted up in her bed which completely surprised the quiet Rose sitting on the vacant chair. With her eyes wide open, she looks from left to right and even above and lastly to the taken aback Rose who’s just alertly staring at her.

 

“Well, that’s unexpected.” Rose forced out a snigger. “Are you alright?”

 

“By any chance, am I at the hospital?” Lisa questioned as she felt the dextrose attached to her and Rose just bowed in affirmation. Then Lisa goes on questioning as she sits up straight looking at Rose, “B-but why am I doing in this kind of room? It looks expensive. I cannot afford to pay for the fees for this.”

 

Rose giggles at her reaction as she points out, “You’re funny. Are you not even going to ask what happened to you and why you’re in a hospital in the first place? I’m sure you can’t remember, right?”

 

It hit the dumbfounded Lisa, causing her to blush in embarrassment. “Y-yeah. Sorry, I guess I’m not fully awaked yet.” She then gracelessly said looking down to her covers.

 

Rose stands up to fix her scattered things in the chair while she explains, “You and Jennie-unnie were both rushed here after the staff found you unconscious in the storage room. He explained everything already and I’m pretty sure Jennie-unnie is awake by now as well. But don’t worry there’s nothing serious about it, only that the two of you passed out.”

 

“I see.” Lisa nodded.

 

Lisa slowly recalls everything that happened that night. She slightly smiles at the memory of the tough Jennie crying like a baby beside her and on how she suddenly went so soft. Then she stares at her hand which was occupied all night by Jennie’s fragile hand. The feeling is still there, lingering her hard working hand. That night is definitely a night to remember for her, as it’s a night that a harsh Jennie needed someone like her.

 

“And now you’re smiling. I guess you’re still in your own dreamland.”

 

It’s Lisa’s turn to get taken aback as she didn’t notice that Rose’s face is just a foot away from hers, catching her smiling like an idiot by herself. She cannot hide her reddening cheeks so she just turned her head away, avoiding more shame and to somehow stop her heart from skipping a beat.

 

“And regarding your first query…” After getting no words from Lisa, Rose decided to just go on saying as she went back standing in her own space, “You don’t have to worry about the hospital expenses. Well yes this is definitely an expensive room since it’s usually used by VIPs but rest assured that you’ll pay zero for this.”

 

“Why is that?” Lisa tilted her head to the left in confusion.

 

“This private hospital is owned by Jisoo-unnie’s parents who are both in the medical field. She already shouldered all the expenses so there’s no need to worry about it.” Rose said.

 

“Eh! Really?” Lisa’s eyes widen in amazement.

 

“Also, you’re excused from all your classes and duties for today at the university. You can use up all day to rest.” Rose gently smiled.

 

Lisa feels so wary having this beautiful woman watching her and so she asks with her heart pounding so loud that she cannot hear her own words, “Did you… wait for me to wake up?”

 

“Yeah. I also have a picture of you sleeping.” Rose said so serious but when Lisa gasped with her cheeks glowing, she immediately returned, “Just kidding. I also dozed off on the chair while waiting for you. Jisoo-unnie asked me to wait so I did. I can’t possibly disobey her.”

 

Lisa let out a big exhale in relief as she rubs her hot cheeks, “Whew, thank God.”

 

“What’s with you? You look like a 7-year-old boy in there talking to his puppy love.” Rose joked that didn’t do any better with Lisa’s heart that’s racing in beats. “Anyway, Jennie-unnie’s brother wants to meet you for lunch. He’ll be waiting for you at the restaurant nearby.” She then said and gave the address written on a piece of paper.

 

“Jennie’s brother?” Lisa suddenly got uneasy and nervously questions, “Hey, he’s not planning to sue me for getting locked up with his sister, right? He’s not going to kill me holding his sister’s hand the whole night, right?”

 

“You’re really funny. I can’t believe you.” Rose laughed but louder than before. “No! Ji-yong-oppa isn’t like that. In fact he was also here a while ago but you were still sleeping. He’s no nice and handsome so you might even develop a crush on him when you meet. I’m not sure why he wants to talk with you and Jennie-unnie though.”

 

“Wait, so it’s a lunch between him, me and Jennie?”

 

“You got too many questions Lisa.” The fed up Rose overlooked as she walked towards the door, preparing to leave. Looking back at the bewildered Lisa, she lastly said, “Just go and meet them later on. I still have to attend my classes. I’ll see you around, Lisa.”

 

Lisa tried to stand up but her knees folded due to weakness which caused her to stumble straight down the floor. Clumsily, she reached out for her bag on the chair in hopes to search for that piece of paper which caused the fight with Jennie but somehow she ended up finding a packed sandwich with bottled milk on top of the bag. In addition, there’s a note stuck on the plastic which stated, “Here’s your breakfast. Rose will have her classes so she cannot accompany you for breakfast. Thanks for taking care of my Jendeukie… from Kim Jisoo.”

 

“Wow, Jennie’s friends sure are nice but how come she’s not?”

 

Later that day, Jisoo and Rose were able to meet up for their lunch break. And lately, even students are noticing that it’s been only the two of them these days, with no signs of Jennie at all. This unusual change is too obvious that even professors and staffs can notice it as well. Not only that Jennie is busy serving her corrective actions but for some reason for Jisoo, her best friend is being so distant recently.

 

“37…” Rose counted from across the table, watching Jisoo blankly playing with her salad using the fork.

 

Jisoo looks up to her with her wrinkled eyebrows, “What?”

 

“That’s your 37th sigh since we met up earlier today unnie. And oh you just let out your 38th.” Rose said. “And you’ve been playing with your salad since you ordered it. You haven’t even eaten anything that you ordered yet.”

 

Jisoo gives up and let go of that fork she’s been gripping the entire time. She leans back at her seat and looks above the ceiling then said with a tint of concern, “I’m just thinking about Jennie.”

 

“Did you guys have fight?” Rose asked.

 

Jisoo shakes her head and confessed, “Jennie’s being so distant to us these days. Don’t you feel it? It’s like she’s being secretive and so weird. I don’t know but I just feel like there’s something she’s not telling us. It’s frustrating me, honestly. She never kept a secret from me but if she will, then this will be the first time.”

 

“C’mon, you’re just overthinking unnie, since you haven’t been hanging out these days. I’m sure everything will be back to normal once she finishes her corrective actions this week.” Rose responded, trying to cheer up this evidently depressed woman across her.

 

“I hope so but if not then I don’t know.”

 

“And did I mention that you sound like a girlfriend doubting if your boyfriend is cheating on you?” Rose teased as she grinned at Jisoo’s flustered face.

 

Jisoo fakes her laugh and said pissed off, “Do you want me to kick you back to your homeland?”

 

“Unnie~ I was just kidding. Why so serious? I’m just trying to imitate you whenever you tease me. I’m just learning from you.” Rose cutely whined.

 

“Kidding, huh? How about you then? You seem to be getting along well with Lalisa that you’re even calling her by her nickname now. You’re getting so comfortable with her.” Jisoo winked as she teased the young one in glow.

 

“You just won’t let anyone win against you unnie. Whatever, you won again.” Rose howled and finally shut closed afterwards, not wanting to argue further with the better and smarter Jisoo giggling in victory.

 

On the other hand, there’s Lisa at the start getting lost along her way to the restaurant addressed on the note. After long wet roads and after getting enough sprinkles from the raindrops, she finally located this fine dining restaurant by the intersection. She almost hesitated to enter as this restaurant is way out of her league. The entrance itself is enough for her to step back from entering as there’s already a waiter standing by in there, welcoming those customers in high class.

 

“Hi, you must be Miss Lalisa Manoban.” A restaurant staff approached the solid Lisa by the entrance.

 

“Well, y-yeah.” Lisa uneasily smiled back at the man.

 

“Welcome Miss Manoban. Mr. Ji-yong and Miss Jennie have been waiting for your arrival. Please follow me.” The man said and opened the door for the ignorant Lisa.

Little by little, Lisa followed the man from behind with her head lowered down, afraid to look forward and meet the eyes of these rich people dining in. As she’s still wearing the same clothes yesterday, she cannot help but to keep on sniffing herself in fear that she might smell the opposite as of these wealthy people bathed in perfume.

 

“Look at her getting so ashamed of herself. It must be her first time to enter such restaurant.” Jennie miserably sighed at the sight of coy Lisa walking towards their table while her face is covered with her blonde hair.

 

“Miss Manoban is here, sir.” The man informed Ji-yong whose attention is fixated on the menu.

 

“Ah yeah, let her seat.” Ji-yong plainly said.

 

The staff offered the seat beside Jennie and so Lisa quickly occupied it, slowly lifting her lowered head to formally meet this man across them. “Huh? He looks familiar.” That was the first thing that came into Lisa’s mind while she closely watched Ji-yong’s face, ordering their lunch to the waiter. Soon, she’s lost in her own thoughts on closely observing his features.

 

“Base from your expression you’re trying to recognize me, am I right?” Ji-yong smirked at Lisa’s evident manifestation. “I believe this is the second time we’ll meet, Lalisa. We first met at the intersection. I was the one who wrecked your bicycle.” He then continued and smiled broader.

 

Lisa’s mouth literally opened in recognition as a piece of memory snapped like a spark in her head. The memory of her being tangled into an accident weeks ago came to her, causing her to chortle at herself. “Ah! The owner of that luxurious car from before! So that means the sister he was talking about before who’s blowing the horns was Jennie? Wow, talking about small world.” She thought.

 

“Surprised?” Ji-yong chuckled at Lisa’s speechless reaction. “So how are you since then by the way?”

 

Lisa cleared and politely answered, “I’ve been taking the bus since then. I’m still earning some to buy a new bicycle. Don’t worry about that anymore by the way. I’m having some part-time jobs so maybe sooner or later I can buy a new one for myself.”

 

“I see.” Ji-yong shortly acknowledged then shifts his attention to his mum sister and asks, “How about my precious sister right here? How are you feeling now? I heard you two got locked in the storage room and Lalisa right here held your hand the entire night like how I always do.”

 

“You don’t have to say it and besides I’m completely fine now.” Jennie rolled her eyes as she stared down.

 

“Sorry Lalisa, my sister is really moody.” Ji-yong said and just in time their orders were being served.

 

“It’s a-alright, I’m used to it and you can just call me Lisa by the way.” Lisa replied respectfully to Ji-yong but intently glared at Jennie.

 

“Hey loser, what do you mean you’re used with it?” Jennie barked while munching endlessly at the food stuffed in .

 

“I’m talking about your moods! You’re always like that whenever I see you or even talk to you! And now you talk like you weren’t so soft last night.” Lisa answered back with the same tone.

 

Jennie dropped her spoon and twisted her chair to face Lisa to go on arguing, “And oh look who’s talking, the person who claimed herself as my oppa last night but ended up getting unconscious too.”

 

“And yeah! You agreed and called me oppa like you enjoyed it!” Lisa nailed it and Jennie got tight-lipped.

 

Then there goes Ji-yong, merrily watching his sister getting all fueled up and flustered with a childish bickering. He didn’t bother breaking them as he enjoys it, he loves watching such rare scene wherein Jennie can be seen so silly and immature at the same time, completely different from the Jennie who’s at home and barely talks like this. He likes it more on how Lisa is being so informal with her, dropping the honorifics and all with Jennie. All in all, this is the scene that Ji-yong has been expecting to witness.

 

Lisa later noticed the warm smile at Ji-yong’s face while he watches them in silence. She immediately went on sitting back straight in her seat and lowly said, “I’m sorry. Your sister is just being stubborn. I couldn’t hold back.”

 

“Hey oppa, why did you even call her for today’s lunch?” The annoyed Jennie asked after taking another big bite of the steak.

 

“I just want to treat her for staying beside you all night. I want to show my gratitude for watching over a brat like you, although I believe you’re older than her.” Ji-yong started but to get things on point, he goes on saying, “And there’s something I want to discuss with the two of you as well.”

 

“The two of us?” Jennie questioned as her eyebrow rose.

 

Ji-yong ignored his sister and hooked his courtesy to the uneasy Lisa and said, “First, I’d like to apologize to you Lisa.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter