Chapter 16 : Distances Between Us

We're Together as Job
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 16 Distances Between Us

 

Distance is one of the greatest tests of love. Many relationships are being tested by this aspect. Some gives up, some holds on and some remains unknown at times and gets lost during the process. A lot fails for those who can’t withstand the space separating them but for those who can and hold on, then it’s the true love. Simultaneously, distance, is the most effective way to find out if two synced hearts are meant to be connected, to see things clearly and to measure the depth of their love that has gone through the thorns of the world.

 

Two months have passed since that day a new couple was born. Two months have passed and their relationship is going strong, perhaps stronger than how it was before, so strong that it gets stifling at times for the high dreamer. Two months have passed and things can only get better for them, for Jennie who’s starting to look brightly forward every single day she wakes up, for Lisa who’s more enthusiastic to meet her every day hurdle in life, all because ever since that day they vowed to be real.

 

Going on with their usual life as students, Jennie, ever since that day, has been regularly attending her classes. She has never skipped one in two months straight. She has never failed exams, she has become attentive of the class discussions and participates in recitations, and she has become so active with school activities that she registered herself as a part of the music club. Yes, she does hate and dislike this course she’s tracking, but because of her love for Lisa whom she looks forward to meet every day, she’s enduring this negativity she feels towards her course.

 

“In a month, we’ll be ending this semester and we’ll have our one month semester break.” The professor first announced his final remarks for this morning class and the students cheered. “However, of course before you enjoy such luxury, you’ll have to undergo the hell week. I hope you all remember that next week will be your final exams. And I believe everyone knows the consequence if you won’t pass it. Obviously, you’ll have to repeat and go back to the same subjects.” But then he went on smiling with the unfortunate information and the students all booed.

 

“Oh yeah, damn final exams… I have to study harder for that.” Jennie realized in her grumbles at her seat from the front row, which used to be at the back most row when she was still rebellious and inattentive like any other typical bad boys of a class.

 

The class was dismissed shortly after the short announcement. Jennie has been extraordinarily energetic since the day started and this caused her exhaustion as she ends her morning classes. She’s so weary upon walking out of the classroom to meet this number of students going out of their respective classes as well from the neighboring classrooms. But amongst this crowd, she farsighted her friends from the other end of the corridor walking towards her in a smile while she returns it with her stressed face.

 

Jisoo stares Jennie’s worn out expression and predicts, “Let me guess, you were just reminded about the finals week again and you haven’t studied much yet.”

 

“Yeah and it . I don’t want to repeat my subjects and definitely I don’t want to graduate late. I just want to finish this and get it done. I guess I’ll have to double my effort or else I’ll be doomed. I only have few days left to study for that.” Jennie goes on with her complaining while they walk out of the building.

 

“You just have to simply pass all your subjects unnie. If you don’t then I might graduate first than you.” Rose said, Jennie’s head like she’s younger than her for a tease and Jennie couldn’t get more annoyed.

 

“You know sometimes I want to puke whenever I hear you talking about studies.” Jisoo further teased and the two did a high five for the victory.

 

They have become this close, closer than before that getting annoyed turned to be so comfortable, the silence between them became so relaxed and by just merely walking together became so joyous and melodic. For these past two months they have formed this friendship, a friendship that’s firmer to get through everything and despite that they have faced different challenges, together they solve it.

 

“So guys…” Jennie stopped midway as they walk out of the building. “…I’m going to the library to check on Lisa… I mean to study. Maybe you’d like to come? You know, you might want to have group study.” She then said and chuckled at her own stumbled words.

 

Jisoo and Rose looked at each other while their shy friend eyed down waiting for an answer. Because of their bond that has gone deeper, Jennie’s simple shy gestures and acts can easily be read by them. Her kittenish smile she’s wearing, they knew she has something up in her mind again for there’s only one person they know who can make her this soft despite of how brave and tough her upfront is.

 

Smirking back at Jennie, her best friend Jisoo politely declines, “Oh no. You can just go ahead. I and Chaeyoung got other plans today. We’ll be studying together at home so yeah… you can just go to the library and flirt with— oh sorry, I mean study with Lisa.”

 

“You can have Lisa all by yourself unnie.” Rose winked.

 

Jennie has been being teased since they met and so to make a comeback, she teases back the pair, “I noticed that the two of you have been hanging around a lot lately. And not to mention you even hang out every Sundays. My oh-so-industrious best friend right here isn’t going to their hospital anymore to accompany her parents instead she parties around with her new Sunday partner. Are you sure I do not smell something fishy in here?”

 

Jisoo though is better than her and rides along with her teases as she rests an arm around the blushing Rose’s high shoulders, “Well you have your own date and you’re leaving out your Chichu alone. So, I have my own date too. Are you jealous Jendeuki?”

 

“Whatever.” The loser Jennie rolled her eyes. “Okay fine. You guys can just go and do whatever you want. But as for me I’m going to get my Lisa.” She then clinched as she hopped away from the pair.

 

Accordingly, Jennie left the scene to proceed to her destination, the library where her sun studies. And if there’s a bond that has gotten stronger for the past months, it’s Jennie’s relationship with Lisa, her lover. As she enters the library packed with silence and only flips of thick books can be heard, there at a table near the closed curtained windows is Lisa cramming on her studies. Lisa looks stressed and Jennie can see that. She has known all of Lisa’s moods and expressions by just merely staring at her expressions. They have become that couple who can understand each other through the eyes, Jennie thought so.

 

“Can I sit here?” Jennie whispered close to Lisa with her lips slightly touching her ears that turned red.

 

Lisa didn’t look up for she knows whose seductive voice was that from and only one person has the guts to do that to her. Without looking up, she reacts unresponsive, “Yeah sure.”

 

Jennie pouted and a little dissatisfied on how her lover responded to her little seduces. She observed on how her lover is so aloof and not only for this day but for the past few days as well, for the past weeks and so on. Lisa has been exclusively giving her attention to nothing but her studies and it’s always been like that since the final exam reminders were first announced last month, making Jennie a little distant to her. Jennie though, as an understanding girlfriend, she let Lisa do whatever she needs to do.

 

No matter how understanding Jennie can be and no matter how considerate she can get, sometimes she couldn’t help but to crave for affection and a little attention, especially that she’s been being treated like a ghost lately. Hence, the selfish Jennie occupied the seat beside her lover and immediately clings onto her, placing both of her arms around her waist as she cuddles her.

 

“I miss you babe.” Jennie sulked.

 

Lisa shrugged her off a bit for she’s suffocated from Jennie’s touches and to have some space between them. Her eyes are still fixated at her books she’s reading annoyingly as for some reason she cannot comprehend the lessons well and it’s unusual in her part. She cannot bring her eyes to her girlfriend who’s frowning beside her and insisting with her clinginess. Rather than getting all excited and thrilled of her girlfriend’s loving acts and importunate yet cute gestures, she became more exasperated, more than before Jennie came to disturb her.

 

One more touch from Jennie and it’s enough to pop out Lisa’s last nerve as she accidentally yells into her face, “Dammit Jennie can you please stop? Can’t you see I’m studying hard here and trying to cram with everything? I can’t even understand a single thing now because of you!”

 

That sudden outburst from Lisa caught everyone’s attention in the library and now all eyes are on them. Realizing this, Lisa breathed out all her irritation and covered her upset face with her cold hands. While there’s Jennie beside her who’s taken aback and speechless from her reaction, she didn’t expect such feedback from her lover at all. She’s so staggered that she left hanging open while hurtfully glaring at her.

 

“I’m uhh… sorry.” Jennie hardly uttered and moved her seat away from Lisa like what she wanted to.

 

Lisa lastly exhaled against her palms before she turned to her side to face her girlfriend at last. There’s an evident stress in her eyes and Jennie knows it. There’s an obvious tiredness in her stiffed shoulders and surely Jennie can see that yet Lisa directly lectures her irritably, “I’m sorry, okay? Maybe not for today babe, you know what I’m saying right? Finals week is coming and I’m trying to fit in all my time for my reviews and studies. I also have my part time job to catch on later right after this. I don’t even know how to divide my time anymore. Shouldn’t you be studying or at least having reviews for your exams?”

 

“I know.” Jennie nodded, slowly feeling offended of Lisa’s lectures.

 

Still, Lisa goes on discussing, “You know I can’t fail these final exams because if I do then it’s over. It’s a different case for us who just managed to enter here as scholars. We’re not allowed to fail even for once and if I do then my dreams will shatter just like that. So I have to study hard since my dreams are on the line here. And I can’t study properly if…” She suddenly halted as she comprehends where her useless rage is going.

 

But Jennie continues for her meanly with her voice lowly cracking, “If I’m around to disturb you with my selfishness, is that it?” 

 

Lisa saw right through her, through those eyes that are in the midst of crying that she unintentionally hurt. “Babe, let’s just—“

 

“No.” Jennie immediately cut her off and pulled her hands away when Lisa attempted to hold it. “It’s alright. Of course I understand you. I’m sorry if I acted selfish all of a sudden. I just miss you because you’ve been cancelling all our dates and sometimes it’s being cut short lately too. We haven’t been seeing each other as much as before these past few days maybe that’s why I got a little carried away a while ago. But as I said it’s alright because I know and I fully understand that your dreams come first before anything else. It’s your priority after all. That’s why I’m sorry if I somewhat disturb you.” She half-heartedly said and almost sounded too mean as she stuttered.

 

“Babe, you’re not mad, aren’t you?” Lisa grimaced.

 

Jennie forces out a smile and covers up her animosity as she responds in a high tone, “Why should I get mad? We already talked about this a couple of times before, about your dreams and about your priorities. Why should I get mad at you?”

 

“Are you sure it’s alright?” Lisa insisted on clarifying while looking straight into Jennie’s eyes that can’t even return back her gazes anymore.

 

Jennie packed her things which she initially brought out when she seated. And as she stands up carefully, she looks down to her lover saying, “Maybe I’ll just go back home early for today. I’m tired too and I think I’ll have to rest up a bit then study later tonight.”

 

“Then make sure to call me when you get back home.” Lisa said.

 

Jennie only gave her a nod and a quick forced out smile before she walked out of the library. Some eyes are still daggering towards the left out Lisa and some started gossiping about their sudden surge. Throughout her remaining time at the library, Lisa’s mind is already poisoned with her small misunderstanding with her girlfriend and failed to keep her mind focused onto her studies. With this, she got more frustrated she ended up messing her notes, stress piling up higher and higher.

 

Meanwhile, as the university and the students are gearing up for the most crucial week, the business and adult world is also gearing up for their new ventures. Ji-yong, just like his sister, he’s pampered with unending works and some of these are direct orders coming straight from their strict father who’s been around the company to check things up. Unlike his sister though, he can cope up with this stress and has been actively working for the past months, nonstop and keeps on grinding.

 

“Dad, they said you wanted to see me.” Ji-yong walked inside his father’s office as he complied with the orders given.

 

The father took notice of his son’s arrival and casually offered him the seat across his table full of papers. As soon as his son settled down, he immediately conversed, “I heard from the other directors that you’ve been doing great and that you’re improving to become a better man. Also, I have directly seen you working hard and I think it’s time for you to be rewarded.”

 

“Reward?” Ji-yong questioned with his eyebrows creased.

 

“By the end of this month, I’ll have to put you up for a higher position. You’ll be promoted as the vice-president of our company.” The father straightforwardly declared.

 

A huge smile quickly crept up from Ji-yong’s lips for the good news that definitely makes his day complete. Jolting up from his seat he excitedly confirms, “Really dad? For real? This isn’t a dream right?”

 

“Yeah unless you want me to revoke it then I’ll have to search for a new candidate for the position.” The father smiled at his son’s unbelievable reaction.

 

Ji-yong’s childish side shows up, jumping around in his business attire for he’s overly joyed. He knows for himself that he’s been working his heart out for the company and as the father, the president has finally recognized it, there’s nothing more that can make him happier then how his father made him to. For these past months that the father has been observing his son, finally he saw that genuine smile in his face, a smile that it’s him who caused it. Finally, the father felt for the first time, he did something right.

 

“I know you’re overjoyed but I also apologize if I have to cut that off immediately.” The father suddenly said, making Ji-yong stop from hopping all around his office.

 

Ji-yong’s face, that wide stretch in his lips gradually disappeared as the father is throwing serious looks to him. Hence, he fixed himself and went back to that same seat as he asked, “What’s wrong dad? What is it that you want to tell me more?”

 

“It’s about Jennie.” The father plainly said.

 

From his drawer he brought out a well-folded paper and handed it over to his son. Curious of what’s written, Ji-yong immediately looks up into it. It’s a mailed letter from abroad for everything’s written in English but enough for Ji-yong to understand its contents and what the letter is saying. The letter contains words of appreciation towards Jennie’s performance last Foundation Day, a letter extending amazement and much admiration for Jennie’s extraordinary performance that has been gathering a lot of attention ever since that day she stepped on the stage and moved everyone’s heart.

 

And lastly, the last paragraph that caught Ji-yong’s abrupt attention. “Dad, this is from University of London and they’re inviting Jennie to transfer there to study music.” He then articulated what’s obviously written on the letter.

 

“Yeah and they are inviting her to transfer before the next semester starts. I just received that earlier this morning and it took me by surprise. I don’t know yet what to do with that.” The father said for further delivery. 

 

“Jennie will be happy if she sees this. I mean, it’s her dream to study music after all. I’m sure she’ll excel well if she goes there.” Ji-yong believed.

 

The father though disagrees as he debates, “I’m aware about her passion for music but will she really be happy to see that now?”

 

Then Ji-yong belatedly realizes, “Oh yeah, Lisa…”    

 

“See? If Jennie isn’t with anyone then surely she’ll accept the offer a heartbeat even without consulting me first. But now she has things to consider. So, what do you think about this?” The father questioned.

 

Ji-yong though returns back a question, “Does Jennie know about this already? How about Lisa, does she know too? Her friends? Jisoo? Chaeyoung?”

 

“I believe no one knows yet, even Jennie herself. I’ll have to ask the university to tell Jennie about this since I’ll be forwarding the administration a copy of this so that they’ll be aware too. However, if ever she’ll decide to accept the invitation and transfer that’s not going to be my problem. I can visit her and talk to her anytime I want to if in case. What problems is the process.” The father sighed as he stared down at the letter.

 

Bewildered, Ji-yong again questions, “What do you mean ‘the process’ dad?”

 

And the father extends his worries, “Her friends, same goes for Lisa, how will they accept this? Well, I do know that either Jisoo or Chaeyoung can visit her in London if they want to but how about Lisa? Your sister, for the past few months has gotten so deeply close with everyone especially to Lisa. For these past two months I’ve always been seeing her smiling, even at the mansion where she used to be so reserved and cold. She has changed ever since Lisa happened to her and to let Jennie leave and create a distance, how will they handle this? I do know Lisa is a resolute woman but never had they encountered this kind of situation before and now it worries me if she can still hold on to that.”

 

The father’s worries got Ji-yong thinking. Indeed he is right; Jennie and Lisa’s relationship became stronger and they’re closer more than ever. He has seen his sister whining with just a little of distance from Lisa. He has witnessed Jennie being drained whenever Lisa is at work and couldn’t do anything but to wait for her and he has also seen Lisa doing the same, missing Jennie every time they are apart. For the past two months they have become like that. A little distance is already a problem for them yet, they are now to face the real challenge, a real long distance wherein their daily communication may turn dry and dull, withering until they’ll fade.

 

“Anyway…” The father cut off his son’s trail of thoughts as he suddenly gone silent in his seat. “…Jennie is old enough to decide and Lisa is smart enough to think what’s right for them. I don’t want to waste my time thinking about what they want to do with their relationship. They can do whatever they want to do. We are not the ones who’ll decide for them.” He then got up from his seat, preparing to walk out of his office.

 

Ji-yong blocked the door and stopped the father from going out of the office. He stood straight and stared straight into his father’s eyes before he formally bowed down saying, “Thank you dad for understanding Jennie, for giving her the freedom and for everything. In behalf of her, because I know she hasn’t thanked you and certainly you know that she’s awkward with this, I’ll thank you.”

 

“You really love your sister, eh?” The father smiled and pulled his son up from his head.

 

“Well, ever since she came into the mansion, I’ve found someone to protect.” Ji-yong shyly said.

 

The father lowly laughs at him and said at last, “Stop snooping around your sister’s business from now on unless she asks for your help. Let her go but still you have to guide her and support her. Why don’t you start looking for your own love life instead? I can’t believe Jennie found one first than you. Man up Ji-yong.” And Ji-yong was left astounded from his father’s teases yet true.

 

The dusk isn’t done yet but Jennie already arrived back at the mansion, surprising yet again the servants who are not used of seeing her back at such an early time, including her mother who saw her marching inside looking so plain and bored. Though this isn’t the first time Jennie has gone back home this early, sure the mother took noticed of how this has been frequently happening. She eyes on her daughter intently, walking in from the door going straight to the dining room just to munch some foods which she doesn’t normally do. That’s then that the mother is certain, something is up with her daughter.

 

Approaching and joining her daughter at the dining table having her late snack, more likely an early light dinner, the mother carefully states her concern from across the table, “I noticed you’ve been coming back home early these past few days. You’re not going out much every Sundays too. What’s up?”

 

“Finals week is coming up. I can’t possibly roam around the city and play around. I can’t afford to fail mom.” Jennie said but her eyes are completely ogling at her food.

 

“Are you sure that’s it my dear? Your mood is saying otherwise. I know there’s more to it. You know you can’t hide to an observant mother.” The mother insisted and smirked victoriously at Jennie’s defeated expression.

 

Jennie had no choice but to stop on her exaggerated attention towards the ordinary foods in her plate and submitted from her mother’s persistence, confessing her real distresses, “Everyone’s busy preparing for the finals week and so am I. Well, particularly, Lisa is busy too…”

 

“So?” The mother raised an eyebrow wanting more explanation and expansion of her short words.

 

“She hasn’t paying much attention to me lately. I mean, it’s not a problem because I know she has to study for the finals too. Of course she has to because she’s a nerd, a scholar who’s not allowed to fail. She has to study harder than any of us. We cannot possibly study together too because we have different courses in the first place and she prefers to study alone, without me. For some reason, it just feels like I’m being pushed away.” Jennie nagged and bent her frustration onto her plate she’s aimlessly stabbing with the fork.

 

The mother tends closer and chuckles, “You’re saying it’s not a problem but here you are distressing about it. Then it’s a problem my dear. Do you miss her?”

 

“Of course I do mom. I really do miss her. But you know she has priorities to put first. I’ll just have to understand that too, I guess.” Jennie said but can be heard helplessly sighing under her breath.

 

“What do you want to do then?” The mother asked in her concern.

 

To which Jennie honestly answered, “I want to support her, even if I’m not her priority. Even if she puts her dreams first before me, I want to support her. I love her that much, mom.”

 

Jennie said so but her tone somehow sounded cranky and reluctant. The concerned mother heard her hesitancies loud and clear although she didn’t let her daughter notice her observations. Her tone was tinted with uncertainties, painted with indecisions that made her statement doubtful, at least to the mother’s sharp ears. Jennie, with no doubts, she is faltering with her own feelings for Lisa because of this distance they’re unconsciously creating in the middle.

 

Nevertheless, the mother shows support as she goes along with her daughter’s words and suggests, “If Lisa is really that busy then she might not be eating much lately too, right?”

 

“I don’t know.” Jennie simply shrugged her shoulders.

 

“If you really want to support her, then I suggest you should start it by filling up her energy. Students like Lisa won’t be able to study well with an empty stomach. Why don’t you try making lunch and pack it for her? Remember what you did before? You just have to wake up earlier in the morning than your usual time and pack something.” The mother winked.

 

Jennie likes the idea for a smile slowly stretches up in her once frowning lips. Nodding as she agrees, she replies, “Yeah. I’ll do that mom.”

 

“I’m home!” Ji-yong happily announced the moment he stepped in the mansion and immediately proceeded to his sister with his mother at the dining room.

 

Jennie noticed his eye smile and so she asks, “You look happy oppa. Did something happen?”

 

From his brief case, he brought out a piece of paper, a signed contract and joyously announces, “I’m getting promoted! I’ll be the vice-president soon!”

 

The mother gasped in surprise and immediately jolted up from her seat to give her son a tight embrace while Jennie stayed stunned in her place. If there’s someone who’s the happiest in the room as of the moment, it’s Jennie who’s been looking highly of her brother ever since they were younger. However, as she’s not used to showing her emotions so openly, she just stayed in place clapping her hands while watching the emotional mother and son moment in front of her.

 

“Congrats oppa.” Jennie said as she put her two thumbs up for her brother.

 

“Oh by the way Jennie…” Ji-yong moves to his sister and said, “I’ll be reserving an exclusive restaurant after your finals week. We’ll be celebrating my promotion and if you luckily pass your exams then we can celebrate that one too. And no worries, the party is just amongst us, your friends and my friends, and if mom wants to come then she can come too but surely dad won’t be there. Of course you can invite Lisa too.”

 

“Yeah sure oppa.” Jennie nodded.

 

Ji-yong can’t bring himself to stare at Jennie longer than a second as he hides this fact he learned earlier this day. Staring at her can only give him worries, therefore, he furtively diverts his smiles to their mother instead, avoiding much eye contact as much as possible.

 

That night, Lisa went back to her apartment block right after her stressful day that’s entirely spent with her studies and her part time job. For the past few weeks, she is eventually going back to the life she used to have before she was tangled into Jennie’s life, a daily routine that’s on loop going to university, study then work and lastly go back home and sleep. Lisa became that focused with herself, with her dreams she only thinks of and slowly, she’s letting Jennie slip off her mind.

 

“I might have gone overboard a while ago…”

 

Lisa thinks by herself as she lies down in her bed to rest her tired body. She looks straight up the ceiling while recalling the incident back at the library, that time she accidentally raised a voice to her girlfriend. She has never seen Jennie offended as much as she manifested earlier, making her feel so heavy at the moment she cannot take it off her mind, that face Jennie gave her, that pain she sugarcoated with her smile. Because of drowning herself too much on her thoughts of Jennie, she ended up distracted and in the end she couldn’t flip a single book and notes for her to review.

 

“Should I call her?” Lisa once again asked herself as she grabbed her phone, ready to dial Jennie’s number and she went to sit on her bedside. But then she falters as she believes upon checking on the late night time, “What if she’s sleeping already?”

 

In the end, she scrolled passed by Jennie’s name in her phone and went to the next instead, to Jisoo who immediately picked up and answered, “Oh Lisa, what made you call this late hour?”

 

“Sorry unnie if I’m calling you at this time.” Lisa first said.

 

“Ah, don’t worry. Chaeyoung is still here in my room studying so we’re still up.” Jisoo said positively to ease the younger’s in reserve.

 

Full of wary while she fidgets her cold fingers by her lap, Lisa opens up, “I was just wondering if you’re able to be with Jennie today. Is she doing fine? I was about to give her a call but she might be sleeping already so I called you instead.”

 

“We only had a short chitchat during my vacant period. Why are you asking me that? Did something happen? Did you guys have fight or something?” Jisoo worriedly asked and this brought the curious Rose close to the phone set on speaker too.

 

“I think I somewhat offended her a bit when I was at the library. She was trying to get clingy while I was having my review but I ended up yelling at her and pushed her a little. I’m just getting anxious because that won’t be the first time I’d do that, unintentionally pushing her away.” Lisa explained and reminisced that time, during their first date when she lost her control over Nayeon and ended up hurting her girlfriend.

 

Jisoo however was heard laughing at the other line and cheers up their edgy friend, “Yah! Don’t think about that too much! Jennie has always been clingy whenever she misses someone and that’s why I called her Jendeuki, right?”

 

And butting in, Rose also follows up, “Jisoo-unnie is right. Whenever she gets clingy to me, I get annoyed sometimes too because it’s too much. It’s a normal thing so you shouldn’t think about that much and focus on your studies instead.”

 

“That brat might even forget that tomorrow and moved on.”

 

Lisa still believes, “Do you think so? She’s my girlfriend yet I did that. We haven’t been hanging around much recently too. Won’t she get dejected?”

 

“For that, honestly I don’t know. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter