Chapter 12 : Because of Love Part I

We're Together as Job
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : This is a double update for you all. I want to end all your pain guys so I wrote two chapters for you. 

But this might hurt so please understand.

Double update = double kill. O_O

Anyways, enjoy the first part and you may continue to the next chapter. ^_^

=================================

Chapter 12 Because of Love Part I

 

Because of love, people learn how to cry, how to laugh, how to believe and trust, and at the same time it’s because of love that they battle with themselves. Because of love, there are number of people who get suffocated and lonely with their stomped dignities and torn hearts. Because of love, people learn to do the bad and the good deeds. It’s because of love that even the smartest brain learns how to be dull as love makes them exposed. Nevertheless, it’s because of love too that people look forward to the day ahead of them, wanting to fight for it. Love, in short, can be either a weakness or strength.

 

The day started bright for this energetic Lisa who woke up determined to face this day ahead of her. She barely had any sleep but her aggressiveness cannot be compared to any of the past days she was also lively. For today is extraordinary for her, she prepares remarkable, specifically with her physical appearance. She sprays this perfume she only uses on special days, she wore a little bit of make-up and washed her lips with a gloss and uses and she wears this shirt she only used to wear during exams, her white plain blouse as a good luck charm.

 

“This is it.” Lisa respired loud after all the necessary preparations as she faced her blurry mirror.

 

Lisa grabbed the two tickets by her table before she went off to do her daily routine. She feeds the guard dog of the apartment but added more to the plate than the usual. Instead of taking the bus, she jogs safe onto the sidewalks taking her time until she reaches her favorite bakery where her favorite melon buns are being sold.

 

At first she only got one melon bun for herself but as she considers having a special companion for the day, she grabbed another one from the rack and joyously placed it on the counter. “Two chocolate milk drinks too, please.” She then also ordered from the cheerful old woman.

 

“Two each, eh?” The old woman noticed with a teasing smile towards Lisa’s apparent bright expression.

 

“Well…” Lisa shyly scratched her cheeks then declares timid, “I’ll be giving the spare one to my girlfriend… I mean… future girlfriend? Maybe? I hope so. I’m planning to meet her later today and formally ask her out for a date.”

 

The old woman cackles, “Aigoo~ my Lisa is grown up. No wonder you look extraordinarily gorgeous today.”

 

“I hope she’ll accept though. I’m kind of nervous to be honest. That girl isn’t that easy.” Lisa nervously said as she rubbed her cold palms together.

 

The old woman reaches out for another melon bun from the rack and puts it inside of Lisa’s bag then believed, “That’s a freebie for you. Don’t be nervous, okay? Just be confident and if in case she rejects you the first time then don’t stop right there. Don’t give up. You have my support.”

 

Lisa needed the utmost encouragement and it effectively boosted up herself from the tenseness. She had to salute the old woman for such inspiration that increased her bravery. And together with this boost, she dashes out to carry on her day that’s going to be full of surprises. She minded not of the sweat that formed all over her face and quite drenched her back as she productively arrived at the university, yet made straight way to the parking lot.

 

“Jennie should be here anytime soon.” Lisa panted as she impatiently checked on her watch that’s ticking.

 

Unluckily, it’s been more than fifteen minutes Lisa’s standing still on a corner but Jennie’s car is nowhere to be found yet. The time is running out for her before her first class starts but still, she stands there hopeful to take at least a glimpse of Jennie for this fruitful morning of hers. Minutes and counting, there’s no Jennie appeared in her eyes that gradually closed in disappointment.

 

“Jennie-unnie might not be coming today.” Lisa instantly looked back and found Rose approaching a little awful.

 

“Eh? But why? Did something happen?” Lisa miserably asked.

 

Rose sighed and terribly avoids from Lisa’s questioning stares. She manifested a horrified look and Lisa won’t leave that unnoticed and escapes from her observant eyes. By rubbing the temples of her head, Rose reacts tardily, “She’s not feeling well. I heard she’s going to take a whole day rest.”

 

“Oh… really…”

 

All that energy Lisa had the second she woke up drained so fast upon hearing such unfortunate news. She got weakened that the once stretching up lips cannot find its way back up anymore. She’s gone so discouraged she didn’t bother paving a farewell to Rose whom she just left there standing as frustrated as her. The day she thought would be the turnaround shattered into pieces.

 

But as she thought of what the old woman said, Lisa slapped her own down face as she walked to her first class and encourages herself, “If I’ll formally ask her out and be my girlfriend then it should be done personally. I shouldn’t call her and ask that. I still have tomorrow so I guess I’ll let it pass today.”

 

Meanwhile, out of Lisa’s view is this woman she foresees as her future girlfriend lying topless in someone else’s bed covered in white thin sheets. Thanks to the light passing through the opened windows that shone her eyes, Jennie slowly regains her awareness but with a severe headache that’s expected after an all-night out of drinking. Her mind’s still buzzing and her vision is on its way clearing her sight to fully grasp the situation she’s in.

 

Jennie sniffed the pillow she using and immediately recognizes late, “Chichu’s pillow. There’s no doubt, I’m in her room then.”

 

She though stayed laid on the bed waiting for her head to function properly. It took her around a minute or two to realize her current state, topless as the cold breeze from the air conditioner brushed against her bare shoulders. Then the next thing she realized is her own face that’s so mudded with her own make-up and her hair so messed up, worse than her typical and usual bed hair. Definitely, this is not her, not the Jennie she thought she would be on a typical hangover.

 

By then, Jennie outrageously sat up from the bed clenching her head hard with her two hands mumbling as she curses offensively, “What the hell just happened? What the hell happened last night? Oh my God…”      

 

Jennie closed her eyes once again, trying to recall every single thing that led her to how she is at the moment. Her resounded mind rewinds her back to the time she entered the club and got herself drunk. She recalled seeing Nayeon popping out of nowhere and tried to stop her from raging randomly at the party goers. Recalling deeper as her head aches more, Jisoo was there to help her out of the club and was brought to this bed she’s in. And these last pieces of recollection opened her wide horrified eyes, the memory of her confessing her love for Lisa and lastly, on how she did Jisoo, her best friend on the bed as far as she could remember.

 

Eventually, her shaking terrified mouth opened alongside with her eyes that getting wider each second. On that spot, she’s so frightened that she could hardly utter a word while staring at her petrified hands, “No… way…”

 

Just then, the door opened and her vibrating head twists only to see Jisoo walking in with a blank expression painted on her face while she prepares for her day to be spent at the university. They didn’t make an eye contact as Jisoo looked straight ahead until she went to her dresser to dry her hair with a blower. Jennie can be seen through the reflection of the mirror, but Jisoo evaded it by solely focusing on herself.

 

“Uhm…” Jennie attempted to let out a word out of her dehydrated mouth but drastically failed.

 

“You can still catch up your second class if you move now.” Jisoo returned and talked for the first time, though dull, showing not a single emotion out of her straight face.

 

Jennie fidgets her trembling fingers by her covered lap and makes another attempt of voicing out, “C-c-chichu… a-about last night…”

 

Jisoo paused from pretentiously blowing her hair that’s long dried and finally gives Jennie the first eye contact of the day through the mirror with her back still facing her. Jennie’s obviously in panic as her breathing pattern is evidently abnormal that her chest pumps in and out unevenly. Jisoo noted it but nonetheless waited for Jennie to continue on whatever she has to say out of her coward self.

 

“I’m… sorry…” Jennie expressed as she teared out. “What I did… was… awful…”

 

Her apology didn’t do anything good for Jisoo’s dismay. In fact, her apology made it worse for Jisoo whose small hope just faded away, that one small hope wishing that Jennie would say she’s aware of what she did and will take responsibility. But she didn’t, hence, Jisoo is in a total despair.

 

“I love you.” Jisoo said out of the blue with her head lowered down in her dresser.

 

As she heard it clear, Jennie in shock looks up to her and can only utter, “Eh? W-what did you just say?”

 

It’s all or nothing for Jisoo and so she takes the sacrifice as she goes on confessing, “Are you deaf? I said I love you and it’s always been like this for me; it’s always been this way Jennie. You’re just too dumb and just too naïve to notice anything. You’re so dumb not to notice who’s always prepared to cross the ocean for you. I wouldn’t do any of these sacrifices if I didn’t have this love for you in the first place.”

 

“Chichu… you…” Jennie literally went out of words.

 

“I had all the strength to stop whatever we did last night. I had all the will to push you away and stop myself from the pleasure. It would have been easy for me to just drive you back to your mansion last night and let your mother take care of you but I didn’t do any of those for the reason that I love you.” Jisoo articulated and her voice cracked in the middle of her words.

 

“B-but…”

 

Jisoo chewed in to stop any tint of hurt from coming out before she continues, “If you feel betrayed then I’d understand. You shouldn’t be apologizing in the first place. It should be me who’s apologizing and kneeling down to you right now but I won’t. You were drunk, you desperately asked me to help you forget and I took advantage of that, only to have you by myself. I know this is the worst timing to confess but if I won’t tell you now, I feel like there won’t be next time for us anymore. All that happened between us last night, I let it because I know it will never happen again and I won’t be able to have that feeling again. At least for once, I wanted to hold you, only me alone.”

 

Jennie however froze in her position, sitting up on that bed and couldn’t move a single part of her body. She cannot even bring herself to interrogate or to raise her voice and even to get mad at her best friend who confessed everything. Realizing that was put on the line, the friendship she earned for long years, Jennie ended up in dreadfully silent, cowardly saying none after all the courageous declarations that Jisoo just stated.

 

Jisoo is so disappointed, not only towards Jennie but also to herself who let herself be swayed by her selfish desires. “You know, right? After what happened last night, this might be the last time we’ll be talking this close. After this, we’re might no longer be the same.” She then said so low she almost regretted it.

 

“Sorry…”

 

Jisoo tossed Jennie her newly washed shirt and for the last time she stared at her before leaving, “Good luck out there.”

 

The moment Jisoo closed the door behind her, those tears she’s been holding on flowed out of her bloated eyes. She has to use both of her hands to cover to silence her loud sobs from resonating all over the place. She’s been strong for so long and these tears she’s letting out are the result of all her sufferings. As much as she tries to stop her cries, Jennie heard her from the inside and she can only cry out loud in guilt.

 

Days passed, and the expectant Lisa found no Jennie, not even a message or a call from her was returned for the past days. She’s nowhere to be found and no one to ask to as Rose has been acting ignorant of her whereabouts, even Jisoo is way too unreachable to ask for. Her anticipations are declining but nevertheless she tries to stay positive notwithstanding of this drought. 

 

Definitely, Rose is one of these people who have been spotting Lisa’s assertiveness, specifically when the talk about Jennie initiates, in a way that Lisa’s energy doubles whenever she’s being teased. Rose does love to see her pumped out during practices and feels the same way whenever she does but to think she might not be the reason of this enthusiasm flowing through her, Lisa’s attitude just annoys her.

 

“Chaeyoung…” A male student came to Rose’s stand by the corner of the stage, secretly witnessing Lisa’s moves.

 

Rose doesn’t know this man yet still humbly inquires, “Yes, what is it?”

 

The man handed her a small folded note and left without words. Really it’s odd and suspicious as she was suddenly approached by an unknown man with an informal letter to which Rose however opened and read the content, “If you won’t make a move and only keep on watching her from afar, she might be taken away by someone else.”  

 

The note was unclear but basing from Rose’s deductions, the letter talks about Lisa whom she’s certainly been watching from afar. The thought of inspecting the source of the letter didn’t cross Rose’s mind, yet what sparked to her was the truthfulness of what was noted. 

 

“Hey Lisa.” Rose called out to Lisa who’s on a short water break.

 

The bubbly Lisa walked close to her, “Oh~ you’re already here?”

 

“Well, yeah and it’s been quite long now actually.” Rose said low, saddened that her existence wasn’t noticed unless she called. “Are you free after the practice? There’s something I want to tell you.” She then asked.

 

Lisa didn’t need a second to think of a response as she immediately declines in an apologetic tone, “I’m sorry Chaeng. I already have another appointment. I’m planning on going to Jisoo-unnie at the student council room right after the practice. I’m sure she’ll be there.”

 

“Why are you looking for Jisoo-unnie?” Rose questioned.

 

“It’s about Jennie.” Lisa sadly said as she glowered. “I haven’t seen her for the past few days. I cannot reach for her phone and I cannot go to their mansion either to check on her. You know, I’m kind of scared to step on that place again. Her dad might suddenly pop out of nowhere or the guards might report me to him. Ji-yong oppa is way too busy for me to rely on too. Jennie’s always missing in action though and has done this a lot of times but I just feel different this time. It’s like I’m more worried than before.”

 

Rose sighed with so much displeasure. She physically owns Lisa at this very moment but her she’s mentally and emotionally somewhere else, to someone else who doesn’t even exist in this place they are on. Because of that, Rose’s frustration increased and spiked up yet still controllable for her to contain. Thus, she flashes this angelic sugarcoated smile accepting, “I see. Okay then. Maybe I’ll tell you some other time.”

 

Therefore, right after the practices and the split second they were dismissed on a late afternoon, Lisa uses her spare time before her part time job to search for Jisoo, her last ray of hope for Jennie’s whereabouts. And as predicted, the busy Jisoo is in the student council room all by herself, checking on some papers and organizing the sequences of the events for the Foundation Day. Lisa got lucky this time, but will she get lucky for information?

 

Lisa gently knocks by the half-opened door and hissed, “Jisoo-unnie, can I come in?”

 

Jisoo didn’t look up from the papers she’s reading but replies knowing that the voice belongs to Lisa, “Sure, come in.”

 

Lisa positioned herself from a distant vacant seat as she’s aware that she’s disturbing a busy woman. But still, she carefully starts with a direct question, “I know you’re busy unnie but I’m just here to ask you about Jennie. Have you seen her around lately? Or have you contacted her?”

 

Jisoo paused from jotting down notes upon the heed of Jennie’s name, a name she wished not to hear anytime soon but here comes Lisa mentioning that forbidden name. She roughly jolted up from her seat as she pretends on fixing the pile of papers by the other table and hurriedly responds to Lisa, “I haven’t seen her. She might be busy with some family matters.”

 

“She should have at least contact us.” Lisa grimaced.

 

“Are you done here?” Jisoo coldly inquired as she tackled Lisa with a stern look in her face. “If you are then you may go. I cannot accommodate all your queries right now. I’m busy as you can see.”

 

“O-okay?” The astonished Lisa held.

 

“Moreover, instead of asking someone else about her, why don’t you personally check on her? You know where she lives right? You’re fearless right? Stepping on that mansion shouldn’t be a problem for you.” Jisoo went on grilling with all these feelings building up inside her.

 

Shocked from this attitude of Jisoo, Lisa also nudged up from her position and answers back with the same high annoyed tone, “What’s wrong with you unnie? I was just simply asking where Jennie is. I came here hoping that you, her best friend can help me out. Aren’t you worried she’s missing out for consecutive days now?”

 

Jisoo blows out all her defeats and avoided Lisa’s irate looks. She turned away looking out through the windows to cool her agitated mind and blood that’s gradually boiling. “How the hell can I be worried if I’m the reason why she’s missing out?” She cursed at herself, but in a murmur that Lisa won’t be able to hear her out.

 

Instead of starting this unnecessary argument, Jisoo rejoins monotonously, “Anyway, this isn’t the right time to think of other things. The Foundation Day is coming up. It will be next Friday already and I got no time to stay idle even for just a few seconds. Shouldn’t you be focusing on your performance too and polishing everything?”

 

Lisa shortly calmed herself down, but not enough for her worries to fade away just yet. She just assertively nodded, “Fine. I’m sorry for asking you about her. I’ll just look for her myself.”

 

In the meantime, here’s this woman that Lisa is searching for, Jennie who’s locked up in the mansion, spacing out most of the time with limited words she says. Sometimes she sighs erratically, sometimes she’ll grumble and sometimes she would randomly roar out of nowhere and the workers can only back off in terror, no one daring to check on her.

 

“Dammit Jennie!” Jennie cussed while she remorse by herself in her room, thinking of her reckless foolish acts that brought nothing but misfortune.

 

She’s been acting the same for consecutive days, all because of her irresponsibility and coward self. She shuts herself from the world, from the university and even from Lisa whose calls and messages are ended up cancelled and ignored. She couldn’t shake off from her mind, she cannot forget that night she caused her best friend the worst nightmare she can have in her entire life, breaking all those happy memories they once shared.

 

“Jennie?” A gentle knock came from her brother as her loud growl heard from the outside. 

 

Jennie knew she cannot rely on anyone else but her brother, especially now that her problem is the person she used to pour out all of her feelings to. Hence, she welcomes her brother inside her room, showing him this awful and depressed appearance of hers as she lacks of sleep, cheeks melting down due to overthinking and lips that are so dry due to stress.

 

Seeing this, Ji-yong immediately pulled his sister for a warm hug he knows she needed the most and sincerely asks in a whisper, “What happened? C’mon, tell me. You know I’d always be here for you, right? No matter how busy I am, you know I’d always be come back and listen to you, right? So, please Jennie, tell me what’s going on with you these days.”

 

The feeble Jennie released herself from the embrace and weakly sits in her bedside. With her shaking lips, she forces out to speak of the truth, “I ruined everything oppa. I did something wrong to Jisoo… I’m the worst…”

 

That guilt written all over Jennie’s face was instantly comprehended by her adult brother. His eyes widen in shock and assumed, “Don’t tell me you…”

 

Jennie hesitantly nods to cut him off, “Yes oppa but please don’t put it in words. I don’t want to recall it anymore if possible. It just happened. I was drunk and I was telling her about Lisa and just like that it happened. I hurt her oppa. I should have known she’s been feeling that way, that she loves me more than what I thought she would be, that she loves me more than just a best friend. If I did, I should have avoided her wounds from getting that deep. I’m such an idiot.”

 

“So she finally admitted it…” Ji-yong mumbled.

 

Jennie looks up at him muddled, “Eh? You knew about her feelings towards me?”

 

“I just had the feeling.” Ji-yong known and occupied that vacant space beside his exposed sister. “A typical best friend wouldn’t go this far to protect you. She’s done so much and went overboard that’s why I already suspected her somehow. But I didn’t expect it would turn out like this.” He then continued.

 

“I was the only one who didn’t notice anything… I didn’t sense anything at all. I really am the worst.” Jennie said, feeling guiltier than before.

 

“So, what about Lisa then that it made you so crazy that night?” Ji-yong probed as he moves on.

 

Jennie looks at him side wards as she tests, “You guess?”

 

“You’ve fallen in love with her.” Ji-yong straightforwardly guessed with a confident smirk.

 

Jennie groans but giggles little, “Can you at least act dumb sometimes? It’s no fun if you guessed it right the first time.”

 

“What are you planning to do now then? You’re not going out at all, even the university called me asking about you. You also ignore calls and everything.” Ji-yong asked.

 

“I don’t know. I don’t even want to go to the university anymore. I’m scared that I might end up crossing paths with Jisoo. I’m afraid that I might not be able to look at her in the eyes anymore. Then there’s Lisa, I don’t even know if I can still talk to her.” Jennie defenselessly yearned.

 

Ji-yong patted her back and honestly states his mind, “Why don’t you make it real then? See, that smile instantly formed in your lips when we started talking about her.”

 

“What?” Jennie wrinkled her eyebrows.

 

“I mean with Lisa, why don’t you make it real? If you love her then go tell her. You’re the great Jennie Kim, right?” Ji-yong smiled at his flushing sister who seemed to have gotten speechless.

 

Jennie madly blushed as she looked away with that straight recommendation. “Not a chance oppa. Rosie likes her and they’re getting along well these days. Besides, she deserves her more than I am. Also, if I confess one of these days, I wonder what Jisoo would feel too.” She then considered in grief.

 

Ji-yong couldn’t advise more, feeling that his sister might get rumbled and more confused if he goes on insisting his ideals. Jennie is clearly not in the proper state to make right decisions, thus, Ji-yong has to let it pass and give her the time alone she needs the most. He left his sister alone in silence conversely he rages the time she stepped out of the room, calling Jisoo right away and didn’t stop until she picks it up.

 

“We need to talk.” Ji-yong straightaway said upon the called was picked up.

 

Jisoo was heard sighing from the other line and replies uninterested, “Oppa, if it’s about Jennie that you want to talk about then please, you can hang up now. I know you probably heard it from her. Isn’t that enough?”

 

“Seriously Jisoo, what were you thinking that you didn’t stop yourself, huh? You’re the only person that my sister trusts the most. Look at her now,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter