Kristopher

Forever Love

"Kris"

"Amb...Josephine"

"What a beautiful name for a beautiful girl like you"

"Wow, you're good In sweet talks for a kid"

"I'm not a kid"

"Oh really? Then how old are you now?"

"I'm 10"

"Isn't that considered as a kid?"

"Age is just a number"

"But you are still a kid!" She argue

"Kids just play around and whine to their  parents if they didn't get their wishes or worse throw some tantrums. If that's your definition of a kid, then certainly, I'm not one of them"

"Oh really?? You don't play? You don't whine? I believe you... Yes I do" she said sarcastically

"Well, this is my playground..." He started

"And my goats are my playmates"

She chuckle

"Don't you have friends? Well its actually obvious. Who would want to be friends with someone as old fashion as you are?"

"Just to remind you me lady, this old fashion here saved your life just now"

"Yeah, I owe you. What can I do to repay you? How much do I need to pay? I'll give it to you tomorrow"

He gave a disgusted look and turn his back ready to leave

"Wait! You want me to pay you now? OK I will! But let me go home first so I can get money from my father"

"Tsk, another brat little girl"he mumbled while walking away

" hey! Stop walking! What do you want so I can give it to you. Just name it!"

He didn't stop

"Hey!"

"Just leave now little girl!"

"No."

"Why are you so stubborn?"

"Because I will get what I want and I want to repay you!"

"Huh? With what? With some money from your father? Who did I save anyway? Its not him right? its you! so why does he needs to pay ?"

She was astounded on how matured he talks. She can't find a rebuttal for what he said.

"You can't say anything?..."

She looked down

"That's what's wrong with you kids, specially rich bratty kids like you...

You always think that you can buy the world by your money, which is not even hard earned by yourself!

You'll just depend on your parents and think that the world is as beautiful as on the fairy tales.

Well let me tell you this KID, life is not what you think it is. If you want to survive, you should be tough, and you should learn how to not to depend on anyone but yourself!"

"That hurts, do you really need to insult me, while I just want to repay you for saving my life?"

"Truth hurts, isn't it?" He grin

"Just tell me what do you want?!" She said frustratingly

"You know what , a simple 'thank you' will do, but just because you insulted me first, I don't need it too. So just go home"

"I already thanked you!"

"Yeah, so now you can leave"

"No. I said I want to repay you! So tell me now what do I have to do!" She didn't give up

"Ughhhh! You're so hard headed!"

"Yes I am" she said proudly

" Fine! Will you do anything?"

"Yes, just don't make me jump on the cliff"

"Silly! Of course not"

"OK what is it?"
.

.

.

.

.

.

-time skip-
After 1hr

"Ahhhhh!!! Kris!" She is running for her dear life 

"Stop daisy stop!," he also run after his goat trying to stop it from chasing Josephine.

"Make it stop Kris! Ahhhh!!!"

Finally, he catches his goat.

She was panting so hard as she laid on  the grass.

"Hah hah.... Now I think I paid you now! Hah hah. I just found 36 of your beloved playmates!" She is referring to the goats

"You really count it huh?

" of coarse" she said proudly

"Just so you know, you just found 3, besides I'm still the one who catches them"

"Because you said I should just HELP you to FIND your goats, chasing them is not part of it" she reasoned out

"Oh well, you really need to help me out, besides its your fault why they're gone."

"You left them that's why!"

"No, its because of your yelling that's why they got scared and ran away"

"Tsk! Why do you have so many pet goats in the first place?"

"They're not just my pets, or playmates, but they are also my source of income,...

This is what I do for living" he smiled

She was mesmerized by that smile for a second and need not to elaborate it further for she already know what he meant.

"Kris, why do you have to do this, I mean, don't you have parents to support you?" She asked while they are walking.

He didn't answer instead, he made sure that all his goats are safe. And they walk home.

"I think you need to go home now" he said

"I don't want to"

"Your parents might get worried if they found out that you are missing"

She changed his expression

"Can I just go with you for a while?"
He just nodded. He knows that arguing with this girl is none sense, she'll still get what she wants no matter what.

.
.
.
.
.

"That's my home, lets go inside" he said as they arrived

After he entered the gate, he got a pail and starts collecting water from the well.

He carried one pail in each hand as they enter the house.

She roams her eyes and she can tell that his house is small. Her room is even 2x bigger than it.

She's just watching what's Kris doing. After he put the water in the container, he starts to make some fire in the furnace. He heated some water.

She's just looking intently until a cough caught her attention.

"*cough*, Kristopher, son, is that you?" Someone shouted from the room

"Yes mother, its me!"
He answered back

Josephine is just quiet until she saw something...

"Ahhhh! Cockroach!"


She quickly covered to muffle her squeals, and shut her eyes close to prevent her from seeing the creature.

He quickly went into Josephine's place and kill the cockroach.

"Its dead you can open your eyes now"

"Kris, son, are you with someone?" His mother shouted again

They went inside the room and she was shocked to see a very skinny and pail woman wrapped in a worn out blanket.

"Yes mother, its me, Kristopher" he hold her hands and press it on his cheeks.

"Good that you are here now and safe, who are you with?" She ask with a smile

"She's Josephine, I just saw her near the cliff a while ago, Josephine, this is my mother, Elma"

She came closer but she was confused why does the woman don't look on her direction.

"Good evening madam" she said slowly

That's the only time she turn on her direction and smile.

That's when she realize that the woman cant see... She has a very pale eye almost white.

She can't help but pity her

"Please stop the formality.." She laugh a little

"Thank you for dropping by, you know, you are the first kid who enters our humble abode."

"No, madam, I should be the one to thank you both, for letting me in."

"Oh that's nothing, really, I would like to talk to someone else aside from Kris once in a while"

"Ma!.." Kris whined feeling jealous.

"Haha, you're still my most beloved son don't worry"

"Because I'm your only son!"

Her mother burst out laughing.

Josephine can't help but to be envious about their relationship. Yes, they don't live in a big mansion like she does but their house is truly a home. Its filled with... Love.

He whispered something to his mother then he turned to Josephine and says.

"Can you look out for her for a while? I'm just gonna do something."

She nodded.

He then lit a lamp to illuminate the room and left. She didn't even notice that its getting dark.

"Ah, ma'am, is it ok if I'm the one whose gonna talk to you for a while?"

"Of course honey, but can I ask you a favor" she said with a smile

"Sure thing ma'am"

"Can you please stop calling me ma'am or madam or anything like that?"

"Then what is it that you want me to call you?"

"Mama." She said and she's trying so hard not to cry again.

"What's wrong little girl?"

"I'm sorry, I haven't called anyone with that term ever"

"Why...don't you have a mother?"

This time, she can't control her self anymore, as she sob.

She remembered how her known mother all her life, is still not accepting her as a member of their family. And worst, she won't e able to know her real mother ever again.

"What's wrong little girl? I'm sorry if I became insensitive"

"No. Please don't be sorry, I'm just happy... I'm happy that I have someone to call as 'Mama'" she smiled and wipe her tears.

"I'm glad I will be having a daughter now!" She clapped

"Mama" she mumbled

After chatting for a few minutes, Kris came back with a tray of 3 bowls of soup and 3 glasses of water.

"Ma! here's your food"

She gave Josephine her bowl then he proceed in feeding his mother.

She just stare at them with an awe.

"You really love your mom, don't you?" She asked

"Yes I do. She's the only one I've got..." he said as he spoon her mother some soup

She wanted to ask how about his father but she don't want to pry to their personal life anymore.

But as if he read her mind...

"After my father died, I promised I will be the one to protect and love her that's why I don't want to be a kid anymore... I wanted to grow up fast so I could protect her even more. Also, so could have a better job to provide her needs and a comfortable life"

Josephine felt guilt with what she said to him a while ago. She didn't think that this boy has this huge dream, not only for himself but for his mother.

"Oh my son, you know that you, is enough for me." They hug each other

"My daughter.. does your parents know that you are here?"

"No ma'am, I mean Ma,.. Mama. They don't know I went out"

"Oh no. You should go back home now, they must be worried sick by now! Its too late already!"

"I'm going with her ma, don't worry"
Kris insisted

"Where do you live by the way?"

"At the Cabrera's" she answered

The expression of Elma became dark.

"Why are you living there?" She asked

"Because that's where are house is?" she state the obvious

"May I know your complete name?"

"Josephine Cabrera"

She diverted her attention to something else. Her expression is unreadable.

"Kris, leave now! take her home"
She said with authority

.

.

.

.

.

After the two left, she hold the photo of her husband

"I thought I forgave them my love... I thought I forgot about them... But I can't, I'm sorry...." She mumbled