Josephine

Forever Love

Josephine Cabrera, a kind hearted little girl who grew up in a hacienda. The villagers call her Amber because of her amber eyes, which is unusual for  no one in her family owns that kind of eyes.

She might be her family's little princess but all she wanted is to be like any other kid: to be able to run in the fields, to play with other children, to be free. But she can't.

She also have a brother, with a gap of 16 years. He is currently studying in the city so she don't see him frequently, but when she did, he makes the most out of it.

Although, there are a lot of restrictions, she make it a point to get along with their employees. That's why they treat her as their own child. Which is not known by her mother.

Because she thought that her child is lonely, she gave her child a playmate... Which is actually act as her personal nanny. Her name is Yewon, her father works in the Cabrera's ranch while her mother works as a cook in their mansion.

One day, Josephine was playing with Yewon in their garden. The sunshine makes her eyes glow a brighter shade of orange.

"Amber wait! Wait for me!" Yewon, her childhood friend ran after her.

"Get me if you can !"

Yewon was panting so hard and gave up seeking her younger friend.

"Amber stop!" She yelled one last time.

But her friend still continued until a shout stopped her.

"Josephine!" It was her mother

She walked towards her mother.
"I'm sorry mother"

"Let's talk about this later" she turned her head to yewon with a raised brow

"You, little girl, what did you just call my daughter a while ago?" She said in a calm tone but her glare tells the opposite

"Madaaam??" She stuttered obviously afraid

"Cat caught your tongue?"

"Mother, it was me who tell her to call me by that name" her daughter interrupted

"Josephine, didn't I tell you that intervening with somebody else's conversation is rude?" She said with a little sinister smile

"I'm sorry mother"
She turned her head back to yewon

"Is that true yewon?"

She just nodded

"And what did I tell you to address her?"

Yewon cleared before she answer nervously

"Miss Josephine or Young Miss"

"That's right, and may I ask what did you call her a while ago?"

"Aa-amber, madam" she was able to say in between sniffs

"Hmm.... So that means you broke the rules, am I correct?"

She's now crying

"Yes madam"

"And you know what it means right?"

She nodded

"Good. Now go and call your parents I want to talk to them."

"Yes madam" she ran away while wiping her tears away

"Mother, what will you do to them?"
Her daughter ask her

"That's non of your business young lady, and don't think that I'm done with you, because we will talk about your behavior..."

"Mother..." She whined

"Don't give me that kind of attitude. Is that what that low leveled girl teach you?!"

She hang her head low out of guilt

"Now go inside your room!"

She stormed inside their mansion and ran towards her father.

"Father!" She was crying

"What is it my princess?"

"Mother caught yewon calling me Amber, what will she do to them?"

"Nothing princess, she will just talk to her parents"

"And then?"

"Just dont mind it OK. Everything will be fine"

Her mother walked in.

"Josephine"

"Yes mother" she stood up straight

"What did I SPECIFICALLY told you a while ago?"

"That I should go in my room"

"Then why are you here?"

"Amanda!" Her husband yelled to stop her

"Let me discipline this kid. I told you that she shouldn't mingle with those low levelled people. Look at her now! She's becoming a rascal like that yewon girl!"

"She's not like that!" Josephine defended her friend

"Did you hear her? She just raised her voice on me" she told her husband in a frustrated tone

"Tell me, is that what that yewon taught you? To go against me? Me, your mother? Huh?"

"No mother"

"Is she more important than me?"

"No mother"

"Good"

She rang a bell and a maid came in

"Is yewon and her parents already here?" She asked

"Yes madam, they are already waiting outside"

"Good, let them in"

Amanda was about to walk out but her husband pulled her arm

"Amanda, what are you going to do?"

"Oh of course you know what I'm going to do with the people who broke my rules"

"Stop this, why are you making this such a big thing"

"You know exactly why"

She pulled back her arm and continued to walk to meet yewon's parents.

Josephine followed her quietly towards the library which serves as the office of her parents.

She peeked in.

She saw yewon crying with her parents whose now bowing to her mother. They talk for a few minutes and she saw that yewon's mother give her mother a key. They bow once more before they went outside while her mother stayed inside.

"What happened?" She ask yewon's parents nervously

"Oh little Amber..." Yewon's mother pinch her cheek

"Don't call me that! Mother might get mad"

"Its Ok now Amber" she gave a slight smile

"We will go now"

Yewon burst out crying.

She hugged Josephine

"Why are you crying?"

"I will miss you Amber..."

She said before she ran away followed by her parents.

Josephine was left dumbfounded.

.
.
.
.
.
.
The next day, she saw yewon's family leaving the house that the Cabrera's provided them. She tried to stop them,

"Please don't leave me Yewon! Please!"
She hugged yewon from the waist.

"Let go Amber"

"Please...I'm sorry.. I will talk to my mother, please don't leave me!"

Yewon's mother lean down to talk to her.

"Amber honey, its not your fault. And we won't blame you, you know we love you"

"Then why are you leaving me?!"

"Remember this, Amber, sometimes, we have to leave the person we love for their own sake. But it doesn't mean we don't love them. But it means we love them enough to sacrifice for them"

"I can't understand"

"You will, in time"

The mansion's maids stopped Josephine and they carry her inside the mansion. With that, Yewon's family left.

She can't do anything but to cry in her room all day long. She's blaming herself why yewon and her family was fired and no where to go.

She won't let anyone go in her room even her father.

"Princess let me in, please, you have to eat" her father shout.

"Let me handle this" Amanda came in with keys to open the door

"Leave me alone!" She shouted without looking who entered the room

"Is that how you greet your mother?"

"Mother, why?.. Its my fault, why do you have to punish them"

"Exactly, my dear daughter, You are at fault... So you'll think twice if you'll go against the rules... MY RULES. Its not you who will suffer... Think about it"

She stood up.

"Now go downstairs and eat"

This time she obeyed.

After she ate, she heard noises inside her parents room so as a stubborn girl she is, she eavesdrops...

"Amanda, why did you have to do that?! It was just a nick name!"

"Yes it is, its as simple as a nick name and yet, they can't obey a simple rule!"

"Is that really is, Amanda? Or is it still because of her?

"Don't put her in this conversation cause I don't want to remember her..."

This brings curiosity to the little girl

'Who are they talking about?'

And its like they hear her thoughts, her mother continued.

"...I don't want to remember the girl who brought misery to our only son!"

"The girl with amber eyes..." Her father mumbled but still audible

'Are they referring to me?'

"I said stop it!"

"Is she the reason why you treat Josephine this way?"

"No. Josephine needs to earn her surname. She must learn how to be a Cabrera. To prove she's deserving to carry our name. In this way, maybe, just maybe, we can erase every single drop of blood of that woman from her! "

"She don't have to prove anything because she is a Cabrera"

"But look at her! She's growing up like her mother! Attitude of a peasant!"

The little girl covered to muffle her cries

'She's not my real mother?'

"Enough Amanda! stop this nonsense! She's long gone! Can't you respect her memories?"

"Huh? Seriously? You are telling me that? Haven't you remember anything huh?"

"Amanda, just leave it in the past, can't you accept Josephine? She's your grand daughter for Pete's sake! Even just for your son..."

"You know I've tried. And I am still trying. But as I said, she have to prove her surname"

She can't listen anymore, she had enough. She run towards nowhere, even their guards didn't notice her.

It all sink in to her... That's why her mother is very strict to her, that's why her brother is so affectionate to her, because he is her real father.

That's why she has these amber eyes...
Its from her mother... Her real mother.

And she can't see her anymore... Because she's dead...

She run and run until her feet leads her to a cliff. As she knows, this is not part of Cabrera's property anymore.

She cried her hearts out.

"Why???"

"All of these are all lies"

She buried her face onto her knees as she sobbed

Until a voice stopped her

"Hey cry baby!"

It was a little boy's voice

"Stop crying, you look uglier"

She raised her head to see him

"Who are you?"

"You, who are you? Are you lost?"

"No I'm not! So leave me alone!"

"OK. Just don't ask help if ever you encounter a fox here"

"What? There's a fox in here?!"
She stood up hurriedly and hugged the little kid

"Of course there's none, I'm just kidding"

"I hate you!" Josephine stomped her feet and walked away

"Hey don't go there! The rocks might fall"

"Yeah right" she ignored her but....

"Waaaaahhhhh!!!!!!, help me!" She said when a big rock she stepped in fell down the cliff and she was there hanging just holding on a branch for her dear life

"I told you not to go here!" The little boy yelled as he lend her his hand

"I'm scared!"

"Just hold my hand, I will not let you go"

"I can't!"

"Aist! stubborn girl!" He wrapped a rope in his waist and tie the other end to a sturdy tree

"Just hang on there and don't look down!"

But the branch of the tree she's holding started to break

"Ahhhh!!!!" She shut her eyes close waiting for her fall

But what surprised her is that, she didn't fell, but a warm embrace welcomed her.

"Amf... Can you please help us get up? You're kinda heavy you know?"

She nodded and climb on the rope

As they get back on the ground....

They were both panting

"Thank you, you saved me..."she said

" Kris" 

he showed his hand for a handshake

"Amb.... Josephine"

 

~~~~~~

A/n:I need to change their last names cuz the setting of the story took place in Latin america.

​​​​​