Epilogue

The Five

The war was over. The world was at peace for the first time in decades. The Special Forces were heroes, the world waited anxiously for their return to greet the public. Once they were all healed, and ready to come back home.

Yet none returned.

The loss of the Captain took a toll. Of course, a monumental memorial took place in her honor, for her sacrifice. She was named a legend. Savior of the world.

Hanbin was okay. Physically fine. As he opened the door to their house. Empty. He hadn’t seen the others since that day, weeks ago. He didn’t care. He didn’t care about anything. He was about to turn and leave, not being able to bear the fact that the house would be empty from now on, but something caught his eye.

A small envelope on the kitchen counter. He was sure they had cleared the house of everything that belonged to them. He walked up to it, his heart dropping when he saw what was written on it.

‘To Hanbin’ in Jaiden’s handwriting.

He froze, absentmindedly looking around if there had been anyone else there that could have left this here. He picked it up, seeing the dust around the edges, telling him that this had been here for far longer than he thought.

He sat with the letter in his hands, unopened, for hours. Staring at his name in her handwriting.

The sun had fallen and come back out when he decided to open it.

Hanbin,

I knew you’d be the first one back at the house after all this. I left this because I knew I’d have to do what I did. And if you’re reading this, then I guess I did it.

Ah, how do I even start?

Know that I love you. With every ounce of my being, I loved you. You made me the luckiest, happiest girl in the world, and know that I will adore you forever. Thank you for everything you’ve ever done for me.

And it kills me that you’re in so much pain right now. But please, never forget that you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if I'm gone, I will always be with you.

I wish I could’ve had a life with you. A family. Living our crazy lives with the others, growing old. I would’ve wanted to live in a small cabin, secluded from the world, just the two of us. If there’s one thing I regret, it’s this.

But even so, I’m happy. I could finally end this, so you can now live without worries and without war. You might hate me for saying that, but I’m truly happy. Even if I’m not beside you, I’ll live on in your memories forever, and for that I know it’s worth it.

So this is goodbye. Hanbin, thank you for everything. The laughs, the tears, the memories, I treasure it all. But most of all, thank you for loving me, for making the short time we had together the greatest. Live a long life, and tell the others to do so as well.

                                                                                                                        Jaiden