Chapter Seven

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

Kihyun awakens the next morning in Hoseok’s bed, his head pounding. He groans in pain, looking around. It takes him a moment to remember why he isn’t in his own dorm. He glances down at the floor, spotting Hoseok’s outstretched form, his mouth slightly agape to let out the quiet snore. He looks over to Minhyuk’s bed, where only the older’s head is visible amongst a pile of blankets. Kihyun sighs, relaxing in the bed again. He hears a phone vibrating in the silent room, and looks around to find out whose it is. He realizes it’s his own phone, and reaches over to the bedside table to see who could be trying to contact him.

His heart sinks at seeing several texts from Hyunwoo, each growing more anxious as they progress. He sighs, mentally chastising himself for not thinking to tell his boyfriend that he was staying the night at their friends’ dorm.

“Selfish,” the voice comments. Kihyun rubs at his eyes, ignoring the comment as he stands from the bed. He steps out into the hall to call Hyunwoo, hoping to not wake the others.

“Kihyun-ah?” Hyunwoo’s voice answers after the first ring, his tone painted with worry.

“Hey, hyung,” Kihyun says quietly, his voice coming out in a croak. He swallows, trying to clear his throat. “Sorry, but I didn’t want to wake you last night coming home, so I just crashed at Hoseok and Minhyuk-hyung’s dorm.” Hyunwoo breathes a sigh of relief on the other end.

“It’s okay,” he tells the younger, “as long as you’re alright.” He pauses, as if hesitating. “You are alright, aren’t you?” Kihyun pats his lips with his fingers, trying for a chuckle.

“Of course,” he replies. “I mean, I’m hungover, but other than that I’m alright.”

“Good,” Hyunwoo says. Kihyun smiles at his concern, despite knowing that he can’t actually see it. A comfortable silence stretches between the two. Kihyun glances at the door behind him, and finds his mind drifting back to the adorable sight of Hoseok sleeping on the floor. His heart swells with gratitude for all that Hoseok has done for him without prompting throughout this ordeal. “Do you want to meet up for lunch?” Hyunwoo suddenly asks, breaking Kihyun’s train of thought. “I’ve got a break in my classes.”

“Sorry, hyung,” Kihyun laughs, feeling guilty for some reason. “I’m in no shape to be going anywhere now. I’ll see you back at home, though, okay? I’ll make us dinner tonight.”

“I thought we were going out tonight?” Hyunwoo asks confusedly. “You know, for our anniversary and all.” Kihyun in a breath, shutting his eyes tight in embarrassment at having forgotten.

“That’s right,” he says quickly. “Sorry, my memory is still a bit fuzzy because of last night.” There’s another pause from Hyunwoo, this one a bit less comfortable than the first.

“It’s okay,” Hyunwoo slowly says. “Be sure to be ready by seven o’clock.”

“Sure thing,” Kihyun nods, “I can’t wait.” He hears a loud groan come from the other side of the door, and he has to hold back a chuckle. “I’ve got to go. I’ll see you tonight.” Hyunwoo hums, sounding pleased.

“I’ll see you then, Kihyun-ah,” he says, pausing a moment before saying, “I love you.” Kihyun hums in reply, hanging up the call before reentering the dorm.

He can’t help but laugh at what he sees, a scowling Minhyuk hanging halfly off his bed, his legs tangled up in his blankets. Hoseok gives a visible jolt at the sound, eyes opening slowly and looking around his dorm. Kihyun’s eyes linger on Hoseok a moment too long, smiling at how cute he is as he dazedly tries to get his bearings.

“Kihyun-ah,” Minhyuk calls weakly. “Quick, I need pancakes.” Kihyun sighs, shaking his head.

“Come on, hyung,” he says, moving to pull Minhyuk out of his predicament. “Get dressed. We’ll go find some breakfast.” Minhyuk nods, already moving to get up from his mess of a bed. Kihyun turns to Hoseok. “Coming?” Hoseok nods, making as if to stand. He rubs at his face, doing to his best to wake up quickly. As Minhyuk disappears into the bathroom, Kihyun nears the older.

“Thank you for letting me use your bed,” he says softly, “and also for being there for me last night.” He tries for a nonchalant laugh as he adds, “I don’t know what came over me.”

“Probably all the beers you had,” Hoseok jokes, flashing the younger a grin. Kihyun smiles weakly at the offered excuse. They both know he isn’t one of the weepy drunks, but it’s sweet of Hoseok to act so casually about it. He turns, pressing his hand against his neck as he looks for his outfit from last night. He’d wear something of Hoseok’s, but anything of the older’s would be too big to wear out in public. It isn’t as if they’re bad clothes, they just sort of swallow the younger up in a sea of cloth. “Kihyunnie,” Hoseok says, the sincerity in his voice causing Kihyun to glance back at him, “if you ever need to talk about anything, I want you to know you can come to me.”

“I know, hyung,” Kihyun murmurs. He feels embarrassed at having lost it in front of the older the previous night. He hasn’t even cried in front of Hyunwoo before. He doesn’t like seeming weak in front of others. Guilt enters him at the memory of allowing anyone other than Hyunwoo see him like that, feeling as if he betrayed Hyunwoo last night by breaking down in front of Hoseok, even though it didn’t mean anything. It was a complete situational thing. If Hyunwoo had been there, he’d have lost it in front of his boyfriend. He knows that’s the case.

“If that’s so,” the voice murmurs, “then why do you feel like this?”

Kihyun’s thoughts fall silent, halted by the one good question the voice has asked since entering his life.

 

After breakfast, Kihyun spends the rest of the day in his own dorm, looking everywhere he could possibly think of for his lost rock. He doesn’t exactly relish the thought of having to go out again without it, but thinks that it won’t be too bad if he has to. Luckily, the voice is pretty quiet that day compared to how it used to be. He has a feeling this is somehow because of his breakdown in front of Hoseok the night before, but he doesn’t know why or how.

Besides, he couldn’t bring himself to cancel on Hyunwoo, not when the dinner is for their anniversary. He felt bad enough forgetting about their plans like he did before.

 

Kihyun sighs, sitting on his messed-up bed. He looks around at the mess he’s made, knowing he needs to clean it up before Hyunwoo returns. He doesn’t know what time the older will be back, but it has to be before seven. He also has to be ready by seven. The young man glances over at his alarm clock, shaking his head at seeing that it’s already five-thirty. He still has to shower the alcoholic stench off himself from the day before and pick out a decent outfit for their date. He has no more time to look for that rock.

He stands, resolving to go to the lake to try and find another one tomorrow. He then sets upon cleaning the dorm as quick as he can, wanting very much to avoid dancing around giving the older an explanation for the mess.

 

Kihyun manages to get everything cleaned up, including himself, before Hyunwoo returns. He looks to the clock, wondering where the older could be. It’s already ten minutes to seven, and he hadn’t even heard from his boyfriend since that morning.

Suddenly someone knocks on the door, causing Kihyun to confusedly move towards it. Who would be knocking on his door? Usually Hoseok and Minhyuk just walked in on their own whenever they came to visit. Kihyun opens the door, a laugh coming to him at seeing who’s on the other side.

“Hey, Kihyunnie,” Hyunwoo greets, a gentle smile overtaking his face. He’s dressed in a nice dress shirt and slacks, a sports jacket bulging due to his biceps.

“Hyung,” Kihyun says, stepping forward. He presses himself against the older, having not realized how much he’d missed him until now. Hyunwoo wraps his arms around the younger, holding him close. He looks up into his boyfriend’s eyes, and leans up on his tiptoes to plant a soft kiss against his plump lips. He then breaks away, smirking at the older. “Did you get ready somewhere else?”

“I… I wanted to come pick you up,” Hyunwoo murmurs as a blush begins to creep up his cheeks. “You know, like an actual date.” Kihyun chuckles, in an appreciative breath through his teeth as he takes in his appearance. He stares a bit too long at the older, making him squirm slightly. Kihyun notices this and laughs again, turning to get his phone and keys.

“Let’s go,” he says. Hyunwoo nods silently, offering an arm towards the younger. Kihyun takes it with an unwavering smile and closes the door behind him.

“Not as if this changes anything,” the voice whispers to him. Upon hearing this, Kihyun’s smile grows strained. He tightens his grip on Hyunwoo’s arm as it continues. “Just because you clean up and smile nice and pretty doesn’t hide how worthless you are, Kihyun-ah. You may fool Hyunwoo, but I know the truth.”

“Kihyun?” Hyunwoo asks, glancing over at the older. It isn’t as if Kihyun’s tight grip on his arm hurts him, but the sudden shift in his mood worries Hyunwoo. Kihyun glances up at his boyfriend, his pupils shaking slightly.

“Sorry,” he says, “I’m okay.” He releases a pent-up breath slowly, as if letting go of something. “Come on, let’s go. I’m starving.”

Hyunwoo hums in agreement, his gaze hovering on Kihyun a moment longer. He knows something is wrong, but if Kihyun isn’t willing to talk about it, then he’s helpless to help, and that’s a feeling he absolutely hates.