Chapter Twenty-Five

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

“Hyung, where are we going?” Kihyun asks, unable to keep himself from laughing. Hoseok smiles excitedly at him over his shoulder, leading the younger down the hall by the hand.

“It’s a surprise, Kihyunnie,” is all Hoseok tells him, earning another chuckle from Kihyun.

“Since you wouldn’t let me start cooking,” Kihyun says thoughtfully, “I can only assume it’s something to do with dinner.”

“I just said it’s a surprise,” Hoseok defends, pouting. “Listen to your hyung!” Hoseok shoots the younger a playful glance, and they share a smile for a moment before he breaks the gaze. Kihyun’s eyes flit down to their intertwined fingers, a strange warmth filling his heart at the sight. He clears his throat, deciding to refocus his attentions on the way they’re going.

 

Hoseok doesn’t stop until they reach their destination, a decent-looking restaurant with a line of people pouring out the door. To Kihyun’s confusion, Hoseok merely leads them passed the crowd and into the restaurant itself. He gives his name to the hostess at the podium. The young woman nods graciously, and reaches into the alcove beneath the surface of her station to pull out two menus.

“Please follow me,” she requests, and Hoseok only nods before pulling Kihyun along.

“Hoseok-ah,” Kihyun says bemusedly, glancing back at the expectant crowd giving them murderous glares. “What is this place?”

“Remember before break when I told you about that steak restaurant I heard about in class?” It takes Kihyun a moment to recall, for it had been the same day as their near-kiss. Kihyun nods, hoping his ears aren’t turning nearly as red they feel like they are. “Well, I wanted to surprise you, so I went ahead and made a reservation for us tonight.” He pauses in his explanation as they sit down at their table, once their settled adding, “You’ve been through a lot, Kihyunnie. I just wanted to do something for you, to congratulate and encourage you.”

Kihyun is struck silent by the older’s consideration for him, unable to tear his gaze away from his roommate. Hoseok merely opens, clearly not realizing the effect his sincere words had on the younger. He had always known Hoseok to be such a kind, caring, sensitive, hardworking soul, but hadn’t ever really experienced such care before.

“What’re you thinking of getting, Kihyun-ah?” Hoseok suddenly asks, breaking Kihyun out of his thoughts. Kihyun jumps slightly in his chair, fumbling to get his menu open. He doesn’t want the older to know he’d been staring at him, embarrassed by his own behavior. Hoseok glances up, wondering why the younger hadn't answered yet, and Kihyun manages to only shrug. Hoseok hums, returning his gaze to his own menu. He pulls his bottom lip in between his teeth, eyebrows crinkling together. Kihyun finds himself smiling at the thoughtful expression, finding it incredibly endearing.

 

The dinner is incredibly pleasant. The conversation flows incredibly well. Much better, Kihyun realizes, than it ever had. He then feels guilty for drawing this comparison, and quickly pushes such thoughts away. He focuses his attentions instead on the food.

They end up getting mere steaks with fries and Cokes to drink, but to Kihyun it’s just as good as a five-course meal. By the end of it, he’s stuffed and close to bursting from all the food he’s ingested. Hoseok watches the younger lean back in his chair, a contented smile painting his face, and can’t help but chuckle.

“Was it good, Kihyunnie?” he asks teasingly. “You’re not mad at me for changing plans without telling you?” Kihyun hums while shaking his head.

“This was perfect, hyung,” he sighs. He shares a gaze with Hoseok for a moment too long. He clears his throat, looking away while clearing his throat upon realizing. “I definitely have to cook for you tomorrow night to make up for it.” Hoseok chuckles again, shaking his head.

“You don’t have to make up anything to me, Kihyun-ah,” he tells the other easily. “Like I said, this was all a gift for you.” Kihyun hums again, unsure of how to respond this time. Yet again the sincerity in the older’s eyes renders him silent. The waitress comes to their table with the check, and Hoseok merely gives her his card with a nod. She quickly returns, giving the man back his card and thanking them for their business. She lingers for a moment, sliding a napkin to Hoseok before leaving.

A flare of jealousy ignites within Kihyun’s heart at seeing the string of numbers punctuated by a dash scrawled across the paper. Hoseok picks up the paper, eyes scanning the phone number, and shrugs as he puts it into his pocket. Kihyun blinks surprisedly at the almost nonchalant response to the gesture. Is this so typical for Hoseok that he doesn’t even feel the need to act surprised?

Kihyun isn’t stupid. He knows that Hoseok is very attractive, and this isn’t the first time the older has been hit on in his presence. So, what’s so different about now? Why is Kihyun wanting to track down that waitress now and scare her off? What is he getting so mad for?

“Kihyun-ah?” Hoseok asks, pulling Kihyun out of his worsening thoughts. He pouts at the younger, noting his darkening expression. However, at seeing his worried glance, Kihyun merely pushes a bright smile to his face, revealing his wonderful dimples.

“Ready to go?” Kihyun says, and stands without waiting for a response. Hoseok frowns confusedly, having to hurry after him to catch up.

 

The two reach their dorm without speaking a word to each other. Hoseok wants to say something, to ask what caused the younger’s sudden change in mood, but he can’t quite make the words come out. He opens the door for Kihyun, who rushes inside with a tight smile in thanks to sit on his bed. He heaves a sigh as he sits, causing Hoseok to pout again. He feels Kihyun’s eyes follow him as he sits at his desk. He can’t help but squirm nervously under the gaze as he opens his laptop.

“Aren’t you going to throw it away?” Kihyun suddenly asks. Hoseok whirls around at the younger’s question, confusion clear on his face. Kihyun’s fingers drum faster on his knees as he explains, “That girl’s phone number. Aren’t you going to throw it away?” He pauses before adding, “Why’d you even take it, anyway?”

“Oh,” Hoseok murmurs, remembering the waitress at the restaurant. He moves to pull the napkin out of his pocket, shrugging as he crumples it up and tosses it towards the nearest trash can. “I don’t know, I was just trying to be nice. I didn’t want to be that jerk who just left the number there on the table for her coworkers and friends to laugh at her about it.”

“But now she’s expecting to hear from you,” Kihyun fires back. Hoseok inwardly shudders at his friend’s tone. Why were they arguing?

“I’m not going to call her,” Hoseok can’t help but defend. “I mean, she seemed nice and all, but—”

“I’m going for a walk,” Kihyun interrupts. He doesn’t bother waiting for a response. He merely gets up and leaves, leaving Hoseok to stare confusedly after him.